Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Missed out on a pair of ADS 910's that were being given away on Craigslist. Oh well. The gal who was clearing out her basement said she got $100 bucks for them. I didn't have the heart to tell her they go for $1200 on ebay. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I picked up a Kenwood KA 501 amp the other day, and to look at it you'd say its been in the box since 1980. There's not even dust inside. The fact that I know there's no dust inside means I've opened it up because its not getting power. I don't see obvious bad solder or anything in the wiring from the plug to the power supply. And one of the three auxiliary plugs conveys power to another device. But 2 don't. What's the next step if youre a total ignoramus?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

metaxus posted:

There should be fuses on both sides of the power supply. Check for continuty across each of them with the unit unplugged.

Can you post a pic of the inside of the amp? Helps to guide you a bit better.

It's possible that that the reason you have power to one of the rear sockets is because one is a pass through that is always powered, and the other two are switched by the amplifier itself.

I got it to power on with a liberal dose of compressed air and jiggling wires by the power supply. Probably not a permanent solution and my left channel is in and out, so I'm going to open it back up for the deoxit treatment. I'll take some pictures over the weekend.

It's a pretty setup. KA 501, KD 4100 turntable, KT 615 tuner, KX 650 tape deck, and an AT 70 timer. Not a scratch to be found, like it just popped out of a time machine. Booklets, schematics, original sales slip. And a pair of speakers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

metaxus posted:

If you're jiggling wires, then check for dry joints on all the PCBs. If it's got any, reflow them.

It's always a good idea to do this with any vintage piece of electronics gear because a lot of the time, you can spot and stop potential faults before they happen.

I haven't touched a soldering iron in about 20 years. This is something that half a moron can do if he's careful, right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

Picked up another receiver today for free. This time a Nikko 6065. Couldn't find much about it online except that it's about 34 watts/ch and made in Japan around the mid-late 70s. The owner was giving it away because it was completely dead. I was hoping some fuses just needed to be replaced, but when I opened it up, I found that it didn't use fuses at all. Breaker switches instead. Flipped the breakers back on, and the unit works flawlessly. I just need to replace a few bulbs and it'll be good as new. Extremely low DC offset as well, without any tweaking required (under 10mV per channel at the speaker terminals)

I have a Nikko 301 that is, I think, a little newer than that one (I think it was produced from '79 to '82). Not at all TOTL but I think it sounds awesome.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That Akai stuff is sexy looking. As far as a cd player goes, I find you can pickup a cheapo DVD player at any thrift store for about $10 bucks, and they'll probably have more life in them than an older CD player (and might not choke on cd-r's, either).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

metaxus posted:

There should be fuses on both sides of the power supply. Check for continuty across each of them with the unit unplugged.

Can you post a pic of the inside of the amp? Helps to guide you a bit better.

It's possible that that the reason you have power to one of the rear sockets is because one is a pass through that is always powered, and the other two are switched by the amplifier itself.

Here's some pics. I cleaned everything yesterday and everything sounds nice. No static, left and right channels both work. The only thing that's not working is the bulbs on the tape deck VU meters. I got them to blink for a split second and then they both went out again. They don't look burned out, but that might be a project for another day.

Here's the inside of the amp:

And the whole setup:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

Jeeze, what size are those woofers? Nice looking set up, really dig the shelf you are using. I would like something just like that but with two levels since I got a bunch of reel to reel stuff.

They're 16". It's a dumb design though. There's no air volume inside the housing. They're about half as deep as you'd expect them to be, and even then it probably wouldn't be enough to maximize 16" woofers. The speakers sound fine though. They get loud. 200 bucks for everything, speakers included. Not a bad deal IMO.

And the table's just an old piece of furniture I've had forever. Works pretty well for that setup.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

I thought my cerwin vega dx9 were silly looking. I think it's the small cabinet that makes yours look so silly.

Oh jeez, those are beautiful compared to these uggos. The grills are really special though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

Reminds me of the Kenwood K-777s that are at the local record store. We haven't been able to hook them up because we have too much gear and records crammed into a tiny house.

They're KL-888's.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone have any experience with McIntosh gear? I'm looking at a MA 5100 that apparently needs a new tube. It looks like it's solid state to me, so I don't know what the seller is talking about, but I'm willing to play it out a little more. There's supposed to be some hum. Looks mint though, like hosed up ones on ebay are going for more money, so I'm not sure what to do.

And I going to buy this, fix it up a little, and love it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

slothzilla posted:

If you were going to spend a few hundred on a receiver, would you buy something vintage or used modern? I'm looking at a Marantz 22xx at the moment, but I'm conflicted.

I was originally looking at exclusively modern receivers, but I also want an FM tuner, which sent me down the vintage road (again).

If you don't think you'll ever want or need to run your TV through the system, you'll probably get a little more bang for your buck with older solid state. Some of the prices are a little crazy out there, especially for in demand brands like Marantz, and obviously newer receivers have a half dozen inputs, HDMI, etc.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I just wash dirty records in the sink like any old dish and dry the label really fast. Most of the time the label looks exactly the same after.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

I hope that doesn't mean you use a brush :ohdear: (I realize that a lot of heathen shithole hell cultures don't use brushes to clean dishes anyway but you never know.) Also, in case anyone is wary of this method: if you have any second-hand records from before the mid-nineties, previous owners have probably already done this to them many times.

Nah, just a sponge.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well that's both good and bad to hear. Good in that a sponge is great for cleaning records. Bad in that it's poo poo for cleaning dishes.

I use a dishwasher for that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

poo poo, I can get lab-grade 200-proof like it ain't no thang.

But I heard that alcohol destroys the surface of the vinyl. Not arguing, you seem like one of the main resident knowledge-havers and I'll take your word for it. I'm curious why people are so worried about alcohol. Science tells me that it will go on the record in such a small amount and evaporate so quickly that it wouldn't have time to compromise the surface layer of molecules and soften it up.

Ethanol maybe. Isopropyl should be fine.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Should I set the dishwasher to the gentle cycle for records, or is the normal mode fine? Heated dry is probably a no-no, right?

As much as I've always wanted to try it, I've never put records in the dishwasher. Sorry. Love to hear the trip report if you want to give it a go, though!

Depending on your racks, if you made rubber gaskets that bolted on to protect the labels and give the discs a little weight so they didn't rub all over the place, I could see it working. But somebody would have figured it out by now, so it probably ruins your records.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 21, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

slothzilla posted:

Having a multiple stereos is the best (I also have a stereo dedicated to vinyl); I'm putting one together for my kitchen now. I'll do some more research into other manufacturers -thanks for the advice.

Some Kenwood gear slides under the radar, too. Moreso than Sansui or Pioneer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

Isn't there some decent Onkyo stuff out there as well? I'm very happy with mine, but I sort of lucked out, because I wouldn't know how to separate the good from the bad.

I think half the fun is finding something grimy and scratchy for $25 on craigslist or at goodwill and bringing it back to life. Doesn't really matter what the brand is. It's like rock tumbling.

Then you end up buying stuff because you can't pass up the deal, and convince yourself that it will make a great garage system, except you already have two of those and you never listen to music in your garage anyways...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They're on wheels!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This is a dumb question, but I have a Kenwood KD 4100 turntable that is in pretty good shape (Not quite as automatic as it should be, but it doesn't affect play), and so far I've completely neglected to upgrade the cartridge. It's got a stock Kenwood (or at least it has the kenwood/trio logo on it, who knows who actually manufactured it) that probably came with it when it was purchased in 1980 (the original warrantee came with it!).

Now it plays, and it sounds fine, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing either. The stylus is definitely crooked, so I need to do something about that. Any recommendations for a good cartridge? It's a top-mount head if that makes a difference. I listen to mostly garage sale/thrift store records, so low surface noise would be a selling point.

Or should I just fix or replace the stylus?

Edit: It's a 4100, not 3100.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 3, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
$75 sounds about right. Will I hear a night and day difference going to a cartridge that's actually properly aligned? I'd swap it out anyways just so I'm not croaking my records, but it would be nice to hear a difference, too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

You'll probably hear more of a night and day difference going to a needle that is new vs. one that's 30 years old. Properly aligning it will give you more subtle improvements that you may not notice on every album. It's worth doing, though. Takes a few minutes and then you can just forget about it.

Yeah, my big stereo (that the Kenwood is part of) is literally thousands of dollars worth of gear (at original MSRP, not what I paid for it), and CD's sound incredible, but records just sound ok. My second system with a crappy Sony TT I bought at Circuit City in the mid-2000's sounds a little fuller. I've just been too cheap/lazy to do something about it.

On the bright side, I found a great deal on a Technics SL-3300 that I'm going to pick up later this week, so I can do a side-by-side and see what's going on.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's probably because CDs are a far superior medium :shrug:

Also worth mentioning that with phono cartridges (and IMHO with any 2-channel audio but that's beside the point here), price means fuckall. One of the best all-around systems out there is the Audio Technica AT95E which costs 20-40€ here (depending on where you buy from).

Neil young doesn't want to be your friend anymore.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Just found an AT95E for $40 free shipping from Staples of all places, so I ordered that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Isn't that what i'm doing? The PM450 is something I found on eBay and its from the late 70's. I'm pretty happy with the speakers and turntable and confident they are going to work I was just wondering if I could get some advice to make sure I get an amp that is going to be sufficient to power the speakers properly.

I look at the technical specs but it is all a bit over my head and I don't want to buy something only to find that the speakers are flat because it isn't a beefy enough amp.

The pm 450 is 50 wpc [and from 1982 looks like]. I wouldn't imagine it not driving those speakers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

They're 6 ohm speakers though, and I'm definitely not an EE, so maybe I'm crazy. Why not call Q and ask?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They're pretty slick looking, at least.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dogen posted:

Also I'm sure you've considered checking out your local record store and vintage gear repair type places and decided you want to buy new, because you can get a fairly decent starter vintage table for that amount of money.

He could get an SL-1200 including shipping on ebay for less than the $279 he was looking to pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TECHNICS-SL...=item27ded70aa4

That one's buy-it-now for $225, including shipping. Looks like it needs a cartridge, but going economy that's still under $279!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wow, thanks for the info and quick replies.

So it sounds like the Orbit Standard is the way to go if I wanted to go that route. The $100 premium on the plus seems to be mostly for aesthetic reasons. Sure you get a better cartridge, but you can add the same cartridge to the Standard for a lot cheaper.

I've considered looking for a vintage table, but decided against it due to lack of knowledge about the topic. I live in NYC, so there's probably a plethora of options out there, but I don't know enough about this stuff to be able to have a working bullshit alarm go off if someone is potentially trying to sell me garbage. Also, I don't trust myself to be able to properly be able to make the necessary repairs that a vintage table might need. For example, that Technics table above looks like a nuclear reactor to me.

That being said, if anyone has any recommendations about trustworthy stores in the NYC area where the people working there won't try to gently caress me over, I'm all ears.

Honestly, type the model number into google and look it up on audiokarma or vinylengine. You'll see write ups for just about every model out there, especially in the sub $100 range.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

resident posted:

I'd also recommend looking for a Technics SL-1300 on ebay. It was the consumer/home use brother of the 1200 that has much less reputation and can be found for about half the price with similar performance. I bought one for about $60 in 2007 and threw on a Shure M97xe with great success. It has survived about 4 moves since and is still going strong.

I just picked up an sl-3300 a few weeks ago for $40, full auto, and yeah, built like a tank.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

spacebrospiff posted:

Hey guys, I'm getting into turntables and all that for the first time and I don't really know what I'm doing. How does this stuff look so far? I have no idea what speakers to get. My budget is ~200-250

Turntable
Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable (USB & Analog)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...amp;tag=bldi-20

Receiver
NAD PP 4
http://www.amazon.com/NAD-Electroni...ywords=NAD+PP+4

Speakers

Watch craigslist for speakers. Speaker technology hasn't really changed much in the past 25 years. For $200 you should be able to get some late 80's/early 90's floor standers from mid to high end manufacturers like Infinity, Polk, KLH etc. Just have a little patience.

Or get everyone's favorite Andrew Jones pioneers if you absolutely need new speakers (or it's for a bedroom setup).

Edit: I just looked at that preamp. Do you already have a receiver? I'm not sure how that unit exactly fits into your system. The TT you picked out already has USB out, and might have a built in preamp?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 16, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

spacebrospiff posted:

You're right, I meant to look for a receiver. It does have a built in pre amp but don't I need something to power the speakers? I'll look for one now. I have no idea what to look for though. It's my understanding I need a turntable, receiver and speakers right?

Why get the floor standing speakers instead of bookshelf? I think i'm just gonna stick with new speakers starting out. thank you for the help!

These speakers? I don't mind spending a little more if it's a good value.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS...+Jones+pioneers

I've never heard the pioneers but everyone seems to like them. It's usually the bookshelves that are recommended.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

Any opinions on the Technics SL-D3?

...because I seem to have drunkenly bought one on eBay last night.

You'll dig it. What did you pay?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

It was listed as a "Buy it Now" for $150 or best offer, so I just gave an offer of $125 and woke up to find it accepted.

Ok, I don't think you got away with a steal, but that's not an outrageous price. Does it say on the listing what cartridge it comes with?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

Didn't say, but they did say that it has a cartridge and it works.

Here's the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301095048118?_

Hope it works well. Drunken ebaying can be dangerous! That doesn't look horrible, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That pioneer's a loving good looking record player. Is the one you won in black?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have the problem where my turntable is too big to completely sit on my dinky receiver, so I made a horrible looking contraption out of 1" galvanized nuts and an old chessboard that sits on my receiver and the turntable sits on that. It's awful looking, but it lets all 4 feet on the turntable sit on something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Question: if you guys had to choose between a little marantz 2216b 16 wpc for $100 and a Realistic sta2100d honest to god 120wpc monster amp for $200, which way would you go? Or neither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

Do you need the 120W, or planning to upgrade your speakers soon?

I have big speakers (a/d/s M12), but no, I don't need the power. I obviously wouldn't pair the marantz with the M12's.