Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

How can I figure out if my Marantz 2270 will properly power some 600Ω headphones? I can't find anything regarding it. I think it should work because I think headphones used to be heavily resistant so this would be normal. But I'm not sure and really don't want to plop down money for headphones that will ultimately be underpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Anybody know a good service tech in NYC? Looking to have my Marantz 2270 looked over. And the left channel likes to cut in and out nowadays.

Or am I better off buying a whole new receiver? I'm certainly game into researching, but when this Marantz is on it sounds great. What receivers should I be looking at if I were to go the next step up?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

currently have a marantz 2270 and a pair of epos m5s. the marantz puts out 70W per channel into 8Ω. the epos m5 are at 4Ω. specifically:

Description: Two-way shielded, biwirable, reflex-loaded, stand-mounted loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1" (25mm) dome tweeter with gold-anodized aluminum-alloy diaphragm, 5.4" (137.5mm) mineral-loaded polymer-cone woofer. Frequency range: 60Hz–20kHz. Impedance: 4 ohm nominal. Sensitivity: 87dB/W/m. Power handling: 100W. Recommended amplification: 25–100W.

am i ok doing this? if not, what should i do?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

great.

random question--would adding a power amp to the chain help the sound quality at all? would it sound fuller with more power?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm going from my computer through a DAC to a marantz 2270 to my speakers. am i supposed to connect the RCA cables to the main speaker or AUX slot?

i tried the speaker mains and nearly blew out my speakers. AUX used to be the way and now that doesn't work. i just got this back from a repair shop. this didn't used to happen...

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 5, 2015

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, that was it. never knew that. thanks.

now i just need to replace these drat LEDs. loving atrocious. i told them to replace the lamps, but i figured they would have gone with the old ones. ugh.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i've got a marantz 2270. ok to turn the eq knobs past 12 o'clock or am i adding to/coloring the sound? i have to admit it sounds better with higher eq and lower volume than lower eq and higher volume.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i have these ns10s. i connected them to my marantz 2270 and no sound comes out of the tweeters. at least i think there's no sound coming out of them. if there is, it's very, very faint. i recently had one of the speakers repaired because i thought the tweeter was broken, but now i'm thinking something's wrong with the receiver? but that doesn't make any sense because it powers my bookshelves fine.

do i need to put a massive power amp behind these ns10s or something? i felt like the marantz would be plenty...

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, they take a lot of handholding from what i know

but yea, i'm at a loss for what to do next. maybe take them to a local shop and test them on another receiver? this is so weird. the one speaker was working fine when i first got them, now that tweeter doesn't work. and the speaker i took in for repair for this exact issue doesn't have a working tweeter. i've tried the marantz and old denon receiver i have too. maybe there is signal coming out and i'm just an idiot? they sound super mid-rangey and i was expecting mid-rangey with really, really high trebles. definitely no really, really high trebles. the one speaker did have really, really high trebles. now it doesn't

:confused:

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 19, 2016

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mattdev posted:

I have a pair of Realistic Mach 2s that are vaguely pictured below and I want to get some stands for them. Any recommendations that don't look too terrible and won't topple over when my dumbass cats jump on them? Many stands I've seen won't work because they tend to be pretty narrow and these are so drat huge.

https://deercreekaudio.com/

i bought stands for my l166s from here. not the cheapest solution, but they're perfect.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Palladium posted:

How many more decades would it take for my iPhone to be considered as a vintage audio player?

aren't non-touch ipods already in that category?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i've got a marantz 2270 powering some l166s. it sounds great, but could it sound better with a power amp? are power amps necessary with older equipment? guess i really don't know what a power amp does or would help with

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i've got an old marantz 2270 that i'd like to have looked at, serviced, maybe a few little things here and there. it generally is in good condition, just needs a little help. anyone know of a place in nyc or close by that they trust to do this sort of thing?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

might have a situation at my new spot. namely:

what you see here is a speaker next to a radiator. the heater isn’t on yet, but come november it’ll have to be. is the speaker too close to the heater? will i have to worry about warping? anything else?

i can’t really put the speaker anywhere else, so kind of clueless what to do if this is a problem

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

guys

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649553029-sound-lab-soundlab-prostat-922-completely-rebuilt-by-sound-lab-in-utah-2019/images/2406793/

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so how do i know if i need to refoam my speaker or i completely busted it? it seems to be making that awful ssssss sound on certain frequencies now. this is after i blasted some music way too loudly friday.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i feel like one of my speakers is putting out sound at a slightly lower level than the other. how best can i test this? i'm not sure if this is the receiver or the speaker or my room's acoustics or anything, so starting off completely fresh here.

i feel i could test the receiver the easiest with some sort of device that measures signal. speakers, would need some sort of mic to capture the volumes from each direction. acoustics...no clue.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 11, 2020

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ahh, i knew there was some device that would help but couldn't remember it. looks like there are apps too. i'll give one of those a whirl.

thanks.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

and yea, i did the spl check with an app. ran a sine wave generator and it turns out holding the phone in the exact same areas on both speakers produced nearly the exact same dB levels. i guess it really must be acoustics.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Can you draw out your room’s layout as well, or provide pictures? Room acoustics can definitely play a part in speaker’s apparent output, especially at lower frequencies.

and here's the setup. the left speaker is about 4" from the wall whereas the radiator to my right speaker's right prevents that speaker from getting anywhere as close. it's about 1' away from the wall. i guess acoustics really are the culprit here, especially with a ceiling as low as mine? i wish there was a better way to absolutely determine acoustics as the culprit, but i can't really think of a way.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

should i hear any sort of buzz from my speakers when the volume is at 0? i can hear a faint buzz when my ear is 6" from the speakers. the right speaker's buzz has a bit more...crackle to it, whereas the left's buzz has a subtler, zero-crackle one. more of a 'presence' type buzz. obviously when i turn the receiver off, both speakers emit zero buzz.

furthermore, raising the volume doesn't affect the buzz in either channel. but when i do raise the volume rapidly from about 7 o'clock to 1 o'clock, the left channel...burps a bit during the raise. once the volume is set, no burp.

i don't know if this is new. i don't think it is. for the last few days i've felt my left speaker is distorting in some frequencies, but i can't truly tell. i think this has got me paranoid about the buzz? i don't know.

in any case, what's the best way to test that a speaker is fine at any and all frequencies?

equipment: pc --> topping d70 --> marantz 2270 --> jbl 166s

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Discernibly Turgid posted:

If no one else is gonna answer this while I’m traveling for work, I’ll jump in with a quick answer now and if more detailed assistance is requested/ required I’m happy to provide it.

Since the noise level is consistent regardless of volume control position, your troubles are at or after the volume control.

You describe it as a buzz at the end of your post. Is it at AC mains frequency (or double that)?

You’ll want to start by cleaning the volume control. Since you’ve got intermittent noise as you rotate the control you are going to want to clean it properly (ie beyond simply flushing it with Deoxit.) You’ll want to remove the control from the unit, disassemble it, and actually clean the resistive traces and all of the metal contacts (which will be black at this point.) Some of the metal components (like the conductive collar that goes around the shaft and the wipers themselves) will require sone finesse/ mechanical sympathy to gently bends bit of tension back into them (post-cleaning of course) to provide solid mechanical contact. Don’t overdo the re-tensioning to the point that the wipers will scrape and scar, just so that it’s a nice, affirmative contact.

That will stop the intermittent racket.

The main sources of noise in the 2270 are the crappy diodes (the ceramic ones don’t hold up over time) and (as is almost certainly the case here) the offset and bias pots mounted to the individual amp PCBs. If what you’re hearing resembles a hum, you’re looking at adjustment pots that aren’t yet “open” but are showing signs of a bad grounding situation due to their condition. Remove (and mark them so you can avoid mixing them up) and disassemble the pots for the affected channel and clean them as you did the volume control. If you have one of the versions that cannot be opened or is beyond your skill level, check the service manual for the proper specs (resistance and power rating) and get replacements with the same specs and a form factor that can be adapted to the boards here. If you only need 1/2W you can go ahead and get appropriate Bourns (your boards aren’t situated for a 3296 or 3299 and I can’t remember the series number off the top of my head) 10- or 25-turn wire-wound, sealed pots. Those pots (if you’re ok with using non-OEM) will be stable as hell and last a really long time.

Take your time re-biasing, allow the channel to stabilize before redoing the offset and bias current adjustments, then repeat. Set a recurring timer if that helps. If you do that until it stabilizes (over the course of 1-2 hours) it’ll hold beautifully.

If it manages to be something other than the individual channel’s rotary controls you’re either looking for a component that goes to ground and isn’t properly connected anymore (check for failing solder joints on the relevant components) or a transistor is going out of spec at/around the input of the amp PCB.

Good luck.

wow town, thanks for the in depth response. i haven't had time to perform this in full, and i'm not sure i can, but when i get time i'll do what i can. thanks!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so my marantz 2270 has gone berserk. basically, it ran for about an hour, then the right channel went wild. like, i wasn't playing anything, the volume was up to whatever level i had it, and the right channel became possessed. it produced crazy distortion, mostly in the bass. i immediately turned the volume down, but even at 0 it was still producing demonry. i then turned the receiver off and it stopped.

first off, i have to assume this is the receiver, right? my setup is:

computer -> dac -> marantz -> speakers

the fact the volume did nothing tells me it can't be anything before the receiver. there had to something about the connection, i think.

in any case, what on earth could this be? i have one of those wooden cases that provides plenty more ventilation than the original case. it could still be overheating because of something else, i suppose.

e: ok, just noticed something. i started it up just now, about 10min after, and it did it again almost immediately after turning it on. i then unplugged the right channel completely, keeping the left channel going. it's fine.

what i've also noticed is that it's not starting up normally. normally, when i turn it on, it doesn't play sound immediately. it takes 10sec, then a literal 'click' happens, and then it's ready. now, the click is repeating every 15sec.

e2: ok, definitely the receiver, i think. i unplugged the dac from the receiver, turned the marantz on, and the speakers still did it.

need to go find an old speaker and make sure it's the receiver and not something weird in the crossover.

e3: actually, i don't think it could be the crossover. that can't explain the clicking thing. plus i don't see how a crossover can produce such craziness. this is almost assuredly something with the receiver.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 16, 2021

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i know very little about electronics and do not have the tools to check any of that. i don't know how to solder, much less check voltages or starting probing or any of that.

given that, and given what you both wrote, it sure sounds like i need to take this to someone who knows what they're doing. if anyone knows of anyone good in the nyc area, i'd love to have their contact info.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i'm looking at new dacs. it'd be outputting into an old marantz or old sansui. should i be worried about the signal from the dac being too 'hot' for those receivers? i remember seeing some post on a forum, maybe here, about how signals from pcs and dacs can ruin old receivers. is there any truth to that? in my own experience, i have had some trouble with my systems when including a dac, but i never thought this could be the issue? i just thought it was old equipment being old equipment, not that the dac might be overloading the old hardware.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

anybody tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-590-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B0060IG3R0?th=1

apparently an absolutely insane steal. they're on jbl's site for a grand a pop, and even apparently that's a steal.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, i agree they're ugly, but not impossibly so. and given the sound everyone seems to rave about, i think i might be able to hide them enough...

gonna give them a whirl. can always resell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i had an aiwa three or five disc thing. i might still have it somewhere. for as bad as it was, it was still a life changer.