Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I kinda want this, for no good reason: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ele/966906608.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Does anyone use DIY vibration dampening under their tables? My table is a cheap one sitting on an MDF ikea entertainment center, walking forcefully near it will pop the needle. Any ideas on solutions? I was thinking a heavy stone slab with a rubber mat on top maybe?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I thought that was a joke but that's a really smart idea. We do wood molds all day in school and getting a small bag of cement is cheap..

The other question was about spiking speakers.. whats the deal with obsessions with spikes, just that its one "point" of contact instead of a spaced out contact?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Anyone familiar with the Sansui SR222? I don't know which version of it is for sale but reasonably cheap.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I have a 5x5 unit (roughly 6'x6') expedit that's almost full and ~10 7" boxes from bags-unlimited.com

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Turnip Head posted:

I just ordered this from Emotiva: http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

I'm getting one from the first shipment next week, and check out their forums and they can answer some of your questions.

Do you work for them or something? Its not cheap and its definitely audiophile nonsense, plus this is the more vintage thread than "magic beans in a jar" thread.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Just got a Sherwood ST-903 DC FG servo linear tracking automatic turntable for 5$. When I power it up the motor spins but doesn't respond to the front panel's buttons illustrated below, at all.

Linear turntables are pretty cool but apparently a PITA

Its strobes almost at 33 when I max out the +

Can't find service manuals at all. Any suggestions?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Those tables are the superlight chip stuff right? What a lot of people do is route out an inch or so from the center section and fill it with sand or some other heavy substance, then glue in a thin surface to the table again. The weight isolates really well, and having such a light table like yours might be really prone to skipping if you walk around it. Just giving ideas.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Dirty, get a tape duplicator. They come in a lot of sizes and are relatively cheap, you just throw tapes on and it copies them en masse, you can find em on craigslist

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

About the GEM cleaner, what part of the PVC pipe + screws and wingnuts is worth the 150$+S&H?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

iamthejeff posted:

I followed some guides on how to adjust it (balance the arm so the needle floats just above the record surface, then increase the weight to the specified amount for your cartridge), and I even tried it at all places between the recommended spectrum (1.0 to 2.0 grams). Plays fine, but I have to sit on the sofa across the room and ask that nobody walks by.

Is your preamp or other audio components on the same surface or over/under it? Move them somewhere! Put some felt pads under the feet of the table too.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I got a marantz 2230 and a sherwood linear turntable for free, neither working. Marantz blows new fuses I put in it, got a quote for ~200 from one guy and ~400 with shipping to some guy on audiokarma who wants to replace EVERY part. I don't want to spend basically any money on it but I would like it to work.. is there an idiots guide to electronics repair? I was told by one guy its the caps and by another the power supply if its blowing the 2.5a quick fuse.

The sherwood I'm torn, I'd like a linear turntable for novelty, but if I have any money to spend its going towards the marantz. It spins but the control buttons dont work.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Got my Marantz 2230 back from repairs, SOUNDS SO GOOD. They even cleaned the radio tuner plate.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yeah if the price isn't bothersome get the technics. Way, way better.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Found this posted on AudioKarma message boards, its an old radio shack unit listed in the 60's:

Lots of hits on google for manuals etc. I don't know anything about it though. Do you really want a receiver though?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Got a near free PE 5050 turntable with an m93e shure cart and hi track stylus. Need a regular or service manual if anyone knows where to find em online?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

So a ladyfriend has this early 2000's cheapo sony turntable with what looks to be a built in switchable phono stage. I don't know if she's actually ever used it either. Took it here from a long distance move is all I know.

She said it was broke and that means I wanted to tinker with it, so I check it out and there's no belt. Find the model listed online asks for a certain size belt, I order the same size off a seller on amazon.com, finally get around to installing it today. Belt fits great BUT turntable does nothing. Not even spin. She's got the manual so I go through the steps but its just obviously not working.

Any ideas for problem solving? She doesn't have an amp to hook it up to either but I'd like to get it spinning before diagnosing other problems. It should at least just turn though. No on/off button just a 17/30cm switch, 33/45 switch, up/down tonearm toggle, start button, stop button and under the platter is a switch to turn the phono stage on/off. There's a voltage switch under there too but its missing and so is whatever would be under that (I wonder if that's the problem?).

Should I rip open the case and see if the ac cord is all secure? I can't see any indication LEDs so I can't tell if its getting power or not.

edit- I finally got a bootleg stylus for the shure m93e cart on my thrifted PE 5050 only to find out its kinda hosed up. The tonearm isnt grounded or something lots of loud buzz, gonna need to figure out wtf is up with it. Did find out if you need a replacement stylus for that cart go to parts-express.com and get their bootleg!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Right channel on my marantz 2230 is making GBS threads the bed, sounds like the speaker is dying so I swapped the speakers between both sets of speaker outs (A & B) but no difference, then I switched to entirely new speakers on the A&B channels and same results, the right channel sounds like something is loving up and distorting/crackling the output.

I dunno which board on the marantz runs it so I think im taking it into a shop that replaced the power board cos its still under the 30 day warranty, I hope anyway. Anyone have experience fixing that?

edit- I also came across a nad 705 receiver for 40$ with the receiver part dead, I was gonna counter-offer 20$ and see if they bit.. good deal?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Weird. I was taking my pe5050 in for service and so I brought the marantz along because they usually do a free once over for anything fairly obvious, worked fine in their shop, think its probably my lovely wiring?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Anal Volcano posted:

Yikes.

Sooooooo, is the OP still accurate with what entry-level record players are good? Probably going for an Audio Technica AT-LP 60...

edit: or this, since it's only $80.

You get what you pay for. If you plan to listen to records for the rest of your forseeable life, get a decent player, or buy a used nice player. Those Sony ones are such huge POS, it will die on you very quickly and you won't be able to fix it.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Anal Volcano posted:

I guess I want a player that'll last at least 3 or 4 years without needing much fixing, maybe in the $200-$300 price range?

My current table is a toshiba sra100 I got for something like 30-40$. I bought an ortofon cart and changed the stylus yearly, that was about 5 years ago. You can spend twice that money on a brand new table and it will break faster. Older tables were made with parts that could be repaired, newer tables you can't fix like that sony. Right now I have a pe5050 in the repair shop I bought at salvation army, when its fixed it will have in total cost me about 70$ and its a beaaautiful beast.

What people are trying to say in the thread is that price doesn't mean its a good machine. You can buy a 40$ turntable that will last you a decade.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

metaxus posted:

Oooh, I'm an absolute sucker for Perpetuum-Ebner turntables. Teutonic engineering at it's finest. I've wanted a PE2020 (that's the fully automatic one with the fingers that pop up and sense the record size) for about a decade, but because they are so rare here in Australia, I've not been able to get one.

Got any pictures or more info?

Edit: If this is you posting about it on AK, then not only is it a small world, but holy poo poo am I jealous... That's a PE2020. If it is you, then just get the 78 version of the stylus for whatever Shure cartridge it's got. Diamond 78 stylii last about as long as normal vinyl stylii do - Disposable steel needles for 78s went out about the time record players stopped needing to be wound by hand.

Aaaand this is what a PE2020 sounds like playing a clean 78 with a Shure cart!
Heeeeey small world :)

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Welp the audio shop says the PE 2020 I picked up from salvation army is too worn to fix, I guess I have to find a second one to get parts off? What do you do in a situation like this (besides giving up), I'll post on audio karma I guess

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

metaxus I'm sure you're looking for a better solution but this project always tickled the tinker fancy, he's got plans for freq generator to drive motors and talks motor tech

http://www.altmann.haan.de/turntable/

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Got a free TT today, old auto unit I think from Montgomery Ward, looks like a crapper but it runs real well. Will post pictures and how it runs later. Got a 5$ Montgomery Ward Graybar sewing machine recently that's a killer machine so maybe I'll luck out and this is nice.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Got a Teac 2300A reel to reel and an Akai M-10, plus about 10 tapes, a few of which are blank. Teac + 10 tapes was 70, Akai was 30 but might not work, cleaning it now. How dya think I fared? Teac plays like a dream.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Yea wanted a reel as I'd never played with one, going to clean and fix both up (m-10 needs it) and trade for store credit to a local place.

edit- it looks like the M-10 can do 10" reels with an adapter. Couple of the tapes seem to not ride the pinch roller right, slinging off to one side, the teac manual says its just because its a bad or warped tape.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 14, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ron Burgundy posted:

It's possible your reel table is misaligned. Do the reel flanges rub against the machine?

No, most tapes play fine, just 2 don't. Is that a weird thing to happen? I think its the pinch roller, the guy (orig owner) said it has a lot more play than it used to. Saw online that cleaning/oiling things clears that up.

If I want to demag the heads is it ridiculous to bring it into a stereo repair place that has demagnetizers and ask them to do just that?

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 15, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

The leather "dustcover" looks like crap, as does the gold tinted aluminum. Equalizer.. really? The fact that they don't publish any specs on it is really suspect, or dumb? RB, thanks for the tip.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

longview posted:

but surely someone makes repair-kits for that.

Terry's rubbers for rubber rollers and you can get belts online. I'm working on my first reel to reel repair and it involves cleaning out a lot of bullshit.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Cool tables Jerry

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Metaxus, how much did you spend and whered you get plans?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Theres a Dual 505, 506, and 1225 on craigslist right now for 100$ each.. I want to get a Dual and was leaning towards 1225... any thoughts?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Thom and the Heads posted:

How big is that compared to the Expedit's? I'm looking for some record storage for my dorm room that will be big enough to hold my TT/receiver on top.

Expedits come in very similar size, the cubby holes are 13x13 IIRC for Ikea Expedit and those look square with the same spacing around records. I have a 5x5 Expedit.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Paperweight posted:

I'm seriously thinking about trying my hand at resurfacing LPs to try to lower the noise floor from surface scratches. My neighbor has a bunch of junk LPs to test it out on. I have various 1-8k grit wet sandpapers and several polishes to try. Follow that up with a cleaning and vacuuming cycle then see what happens. It couldn't hurt to experiment on something that's going to be tossed anyway.

Edit: I've heard they have machines that do this. I'm curious to know how they do it or the method used for removing surface scratches.

Edit: Maybe I am insane. Found an old patent for a shellack 78 resurfacing machine. Otherwise nothing but CD resurfacing machines found on Google.

Resurfacing would apply for blank shellacs, on records that haven't been cut yet to get their surface as close to true flat as possible so the cutterhead on a recording unit wouldn't bounce or move in the z axis.

If you sanded a commercial record you would start to eat away at the highest areas of the left and right wall of the grooves, losing sound, as well as pushing TONS of abrasive micro-grit straight into the grooves.

To get rid of noise there are plenty of machines that vacuum the grooves out, or even run a string with cleaning solution on them through the duration of the record to get grit out.

Reckless Records of London I know use the stringy-machines, they are pretty weird and look like witchcraft.

The reason scratches affect play is not because they are on the flat surface of the record, its because they cut through the grooves which interrupt smooth playback and make the needle jump. At least, I think. You can take a commercial record and scratch the flat, unrecorded parts all you want because the needle never travels over those areas. You can't "undo" a real scratch.

I started writing up an analogy like a groove is an irrigation canal but then I realized I sound weird.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 25, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ghumbs posted:

The string actually isn't there to get the grit out of the grooves, it's there to keep a tiny bit of distance between the suction nozzle and the record.

The more you know. (tm) I'd never seen the string vacuum machines, let alone any record store cleaning their vinyl.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

He said its a p-l35, they're p-mount carts, googling it looks like people like the orotofon omp5e or omp10. Linear trackers look so fun, congrats Sassy!

Disciple of Pain, has this always been a problem or is it recent? It could be the preamp in the receiver or the grounding of the tonearm?

Electric Bugaloo what is your max price for a turntable? MMF 2.2 does not have a 100$ bump in enjoyment, and that 100$ can go towards another table or other audio equipment. There are plenty of great turntables just over the Project Debut/Rega intro offerings pricepoint too.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 12, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Good question. I'm a recent college grad with loans and a degree in an art and a science and no desire to go to grad school who is currently working in Entertainment. TLDR: not a lot. Also, I need to get an amplifier/reciever/speakers/headphones- so again, not a lot and I'll probably try to hold onto this TT for a long haul if I can. That's why I'm sort of splitting hairs on '$500 vs. $400 vs. etc.' If $100 is going to buy me a TT with a sizable difference from one worth a bit less that can't be overcome with a cartridge/arm upgrade in the future, I may as well go for whatever gives me the most "quality staying power"-so to speak. I won't be upgrading to an $800+ table anytime within the next several years.

Edit: If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions (and "used Technics 1200" doesn't count- I've been looking on craigslist/ebay for almost 4 months and the ones I've gone out and seen in my sub-$500 range have definitely not been worth buying), I'm way open. I am a bit of a whore for aesthetic design (hence looking at the Debut/MMF 2.2) and I like the "colorful modernist slab" look but I can obviously chuck that out the window for tangible playing quality.

Geez. What is your budget for the whole system? You can get a basic turntable for 20-50$ at a thrift store, used stereo/hifi shop and invest a bit into a receiver with phono, speakers, etc. I'm still using a cheap TT with great results.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

EB, I just didn't know if 400 was your budget total- 1500$ I get the picture and you've thought this out. If you really want to wring your hands about it- sit craigslist/audiogon/etc another few months, otherwise grab a turntable now. You would probably be happier with a decent DJ table, but that's my subjective opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

EB, I have the Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, just grabbed it because it was a 5$ Nak tape deck but didn't realize it was 90's and not that amazing. Works perfect for me though.