Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Pibborando San posted:

The modding and upgrade potential for the 1200 is also enormous so I'm sure this deck is going to be with me for a LONG time.

Nice choice. I'm beyond pleased with my 1200/Shure m97xe cart for listening duty and I'm just trying to stop buying records long enough to afford some mods for it.

I'll probably pick up the KAB tonearm fluid damper eventually, it seems like a really great idea and I've read nothing but great reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Wow that's a great deal on the clamp and it's great looking too :)

I'm pretty sure I have to buy that, thanks for the link.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

what cartridges are better suited for music

I can't tell you how much I love my Shure m97xe

Smooth and balanced all the way through the spectrum. It's seriously amazing for the price.

fake edit: my spare cart is the M44 you have now, it's made for club djs and it's great for playing loud but you're right, it's harsh.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ I'll probably try that one next year, I've heard nothing but great things as well.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My local music store went out of business, anyone know any good online sites to buy LP's from?

Aside from eBay and amazon I've used all these and have been happy so far:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=Vinyl
http://www.musicstack.com/
http://gemm.com/
http://www.turntablelab.com/vinyl/
http://www.insound.com/
http://store.acousticsounds.com/category.cfm?section=vinyl&id=5
http://www.musicdirect.com/category/11

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Good luck :v:

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Pibborando San posted:

EXCEPT, it seems to be riding really low on the LP surface, and the very bottom of the plastic housing sometimes scrapes against the record which makes an annoying dull "khkkhggkhh" sound.

I got the same thing on my table at first. You probably need to raise the rear of the tonearm with the VTA dial. It's the giant indexed ring at the rear of the tonearm.

There's a little silver lever to the upper left of the anti-skate adjustment that locks and unlocks the VTA dial. Unlock the dial by moving the lever to the left. Set the tonearm level by looking at the table from the side with your eyes at the same level as the record and raise the rear of the tonearm until the tonearm is parallel with the record surface, then re-lock the dial.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 26, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

so how does one clean them at home?

I built a record vacuum. Using the Mobile Fidelity cleaning fluid with it currently with great results.

(I use a carbon fiber brush too, no shedding on mine I love it)

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Have you checked the cartridge alignment? It can be very tricky to get right, you may want to buy (or print) a nice cartridge protractor or take it to a place and have them do it for you.

If you're sure the alignment is dead on you could try swapping receivers to make sure your Denon's phono stage is working correctly.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Phillyt posted:

...Sony PSLX250H...

That Sony deck uses a p-mount cart, the Shure M97xe won't work with it. There's a nice selection of p-mounts at Needledoctor, I really liked my Audio-Technica 92ECD when I had it on an old belt drive back in the day. It's worth looking into the Grado Black and a few of the nicer Ortofons on that page too.

Personally on a ~$100 budget I'd pick up one of the cheaper early Technics direct drive tables, something like one of these:

1 (awesome unit but also a p-mount cart user)

... a decent pre-amp (1, 2), and run the M97xe (if you get one of the standard mount tables)

Phillyt posted:

What is a good way to clean my records without building a vacuum?
When I don't feel like vacuuming, I use the Mobile Fidelity brush and their 'Super Record Wash' cleaning fluid, then when the surface dries I brush it off with a carbon fiber dust brush right before playback. I get all my cleaning supplies at Sleeve City (also where I get my inner and outter LP and 45 sleeves from the 3rd part of your ques)

Owsla fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 22, 2009

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Phillyt posted:

Thanks for the reply! Is the preamp I have not good enough? I really wasn't hoping to spend the money on a new preamp as I always thought mine was good?

I somehow didn't notice you mention that in your post, my bad. That's a great pre-amp, no reason to replace it at all as it handles both major varieties of standard mount carts and seems to be pretty highly regarded in all the reviews I've read.

Also I've edited my earlier response, the first table I linked also uses a p-mount cart.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Phillyt posted:

So after your reply, I am looking at used SL-1300's. Is there anything to be worried about when buying a used turntable from the 70's? What if the motor breaks or something? How do I fix it?

Edit: Also, what do people think of the Song PS-FL7II? Does that support the Shure cartridge? It was my dad's old turntable.

Second Edit: It has an AT250 from Audio Technica needle or cartridge or whatever on it.

Well there is the danger of older used stereo gear breaking down of course, however, the old Technics direct drive stuff is famous for being incredibly reliable. If you decide to go that route, I'd just hold out until a very nice example pops up and you should have nothing to worry about.

If it were me though, I'd get a nice replacement cart for the PS-FL7II and use that. They're p-mount but still, those linear trackers are great and front loading on top of that? Very neat stuff. I'm pretty jealous over here.

video of PS-FL7II in action

Owsla fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 22, 2009

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
That's going to be an awesome setup provided the table is working properly :)

It's impossible to mess up mounting a p-mount cart so you don't have to worry about alignment. I'd read the literature that comes with the new cartridge and note the recommended tracking weight then set the table for the correct weight for the cartridge. I don't know how to adjust that on your table but there should be a dial near where the cartridge resides with some gram weight markings on it, 0-3 typically.

Aside from that you of course want to make sure it opens and closes properly, starts and stops automatically as it's supposed to (the needle should return to it's home position when it reaches the end of the album) and that it maintains proper speed on both 33 1/3 and 45 rpm settings (should be a non-issue as it's a direct drive unit)

Let us know if you like it when it's up and running!

Owsla fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 22, 2009

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
That's the cart I use on my 1200 and I love it, it's very neutral and tracks insanely well. As far as I'm concerned it's perfect.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I bought mine on Amazon. It's $65 right now - Click

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Got a pretty nice shot of my 1200 the other day. I've been using it as my desktop and figured some of you might like it too

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
KAB has them for $38 http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm (bottom left)

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
It could be something on the surface, could be damaged spots on the record. In a pinch I would try this cheap record cleaning method I found in ebay guides.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
It's more than likely the fault of a dirty potentiometer (the small knobs that control the speed) Just need to spray some good cleaner down inside the guts of the adjustment knob. Work the knob back and forth, spray again, repeat.

Here's a thread with instructions on how to access the pots on a similar table:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199988

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
This is my favorite Phono Pre - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-FJB200X-Phono-Preamp?sku=801600

The specs can't be beat and BBE is famous for top notch pro-audio gear. I'm using it with my 1210 and it's been flawless for years.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I suppose it comes down to if you want to be able to switch between Moving Coil and Moving Magnet carts (the Project Pre will do this, the BBE won't)

If you're open to that price range there are a lot of other options though, I thought I'd just give a cheap but high-quality option for running an MC cart like the Shure m97xe I run on my setup that is very similar to yours - 1210MkII>BBE>Denon>Silk dome Microbes

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Yep sorry about that, my bad. You're going to love that cart though! After well over 2 years on the first one with regular use and no reduction in sound quality I just put on another one for good measure and I don't think I'll ever buy anything else. They track perfectly and sound great all the way across the spectrum.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

...Does anyone have any safe, home alternatives to disc washers?

http://vinylhive.com/groovmaster-label-protector-clean-vinyl-records/

I'm using the above method with the following changes. It's still cheap as hell, just personal preference and some refinements after testing etc.

- paint brush replaced by microfiber sponge
- cleaning fluid changed to 4:1 ratio of grocery store purified water to 91% isopropyl alcohol and 3 drops of plain dish detergent per 30oz spray bottle
- rinsing with a separate spray bottle of only purified water
- drying with my DIY record vacuum http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

I'm sure it'd be fine if you let them dry in a dish rack like in the first link if you didn't want to mess with the vacuum.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Sweet find, I like that. The reason the arm is acting odd is that there is no cartridge on it. The counterweight is supposed to be set just a little heavier (how much depends on the cartridge you use) than the 'floating point' right in the middle of the balance range with a cartridge installed. Your arm is slamming all the way to the top of it's movement range full time due to the weight of the cartridge being missing.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 12, 2010

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I have one that I use to listen to hip-hop, quiet recordings, or bass-lacking recordings, but in general it sounds pretty harsh and very bass-heavy on other genres and well recorded albums.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
The m97xe is my everyday cart, it's awesome. As long as your headshell has the two screw slots like this one it will fit no problem.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Has anyone seen TDK's new turntable?

The yellow bars in the second picture are a graphic EQ that's hidden below the plinth surface, only appearing when music is playing.

Everything is aluminum/acrylic/leather (leather = the dust cover, I dig it personally) and it takes a standard cartridge.

Here's a lovely video Wired did on it at CES.

Amazon has two models on pre-sale right now, one with USB out and a built in pre for $400 and one without either feature for $300.

Everything I've seen in the press so far mentions the built-in pre-amp and USB out as big selling points, to me those are pretty undesirable features honestly as I'd rather use my existing pre-amp and don't plan on transferring vinyl to mp3 ever. Luckily the version without either feature is $100 less.

There's a pretty negative review on Amazon from an early tester but frankly she sounds retarded and none of the issues mentioned would take me more than 10 minutes to sort. Barring some sort of horrible revelation about the quality of this thing I'm grabbing one asap when they go on sale in March and throwing a Shure m97xe on it : )

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Fair point about calling them undesirable features although I'm assuming better sound is possible with the bring your own pre-amp route. Regardless, it is nice to have the cheaper version offered.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
To each their own on the looks I guess.

As far as the specs, at this price point I don't expect greatness but I agree, I'd like to see them published before I were to buy. Considering there are only maybe 10 of my 400 or so records that I'd actually consider 'great' sounding, I've more or less decided I want something that will spin at a steady speed and accept a good cartridge while looking awesome on my desk.

It feels terrible to actually type that out but I'm not alone by any stretch, look at the Pro-Ject Debut III (along with just about every other sub $2000 belt drive) - absolutely terrible specs and people can't stop buying and recommending them.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Ghumbs posted:

Sub-$2k tables have bad specs? In which sense? No blinky EQ?

Yup, no blinky eq :hurr:

How about this, show me a decent priced belt drive table with wow and flutter and signal to noise ratio that compares favorably to a technics 1200/1210.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I saw this on eBay and couldn't help myself. I love this generation of Pioneer gear, I'm on the hunt for a nice SX-750 or SX-850 receiver now.

It's a Pioneer PL-550, one step down from the top of the line in 1976, the PL-570. The only difference between the two is the lack of automatic return on mine (probably better, less things to break really)

It's a quartz locked direct drive with adjustable VTA. I've heard the Denon DL-110 and 160 pair very nicely with this one, despite it's tonearm shape/weight shortcomings.

Not my table but same model showing the nice tonearm adjustments

It will need a gentle overall cleaning and some light metal polish on the control panel bases. I'll probably attempt to restore the dust cover with my buffer but may resort to buying a new one from the eBay guy that sells new replacements for every dust cover ever.

I'm also considering tearing it down to the bare mdf cabinet and putting on a new covering of nice walnut veneer, it worked out really well and was easier than I ever would have thought when I put it on my DIY speakers.

Anyone have any experience with this family of tables? I've found a few threads on other sites and everyone seems to be very positive about them.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Ghumbs posted:

Nice looking table. You mentioned building some speakers. What type?

Thanks. I made some silk dome Microbes from the DIY speaker thread on here.

I used a much thicker red oak veneer by a company called Band-It on the speakers compared to what I plan to use on the table. While it's avaiable conveniently at the Lowes down the road, Band-It only has red oak and birch from what I can find and I really want to use walunt on the table. I like that the walnut stuff I linked to is so thin (1/42") too, it should help avoid any issues with the platter scraping the base while it rotates.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Nice, very cool story. You should try to pick one up, they're regularly on eBay for under $300 shipped. I paid $190 shipped for mine but it's going to need some work cosmetically to be perfect in my eyes.

When I veneer the base it's going to cover the model info and company logo etc. I found the font they used on these older components and a vector file of their old company logo and I plan to print them out on water slide transfer paper (think model airplane decals) and put them on the new veneer before clearing and polishing it.

Aside from the make/model/logo, the 'UP' and 'DOWN' lettering is starting to wear off the tone arm lift control panel:

I've got it all laid out in Illustrator, just have to wait till the table gets here to measure the current lettering and adjust the scale/kerning etc for printing:

Owsla fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 24, 2011

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I got the table last night and it looks way better than it did in the auction pictures, the combination of the harsh flash and a crap camera didn't do the table justice.

I just sold my Technics 1210 a couple weeks back (someone offered me way too much for it) but I kept a spare headshell with a brand new Shure m97 cart installed. Well I put that headshell on the new table last night and did a quicky alignment, it sounds incredible. I love this thing :)

As much as I was having fun planning the restoration I'm probably going to leave well enough alone. I was able to repair one of the issues with the veneer already and plan to fix the final one over the weekend with a dab of wood glue and some light clamping. Hell, it looks incredibly close to new the way it sits now and functions perfectly, no real need to tempt fate here taking it down to nothing to put new veneer and decals on etc.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Hell yeah, incredible deal.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I was all excited about the TDK table but someone posted the specs earlier and they're pretty lovely honestly. Something like <.25 wow and flutter and >60db s/n - Good direct drive tables are usually around <.025 wow and flutter and >75db s/n for reference.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 10, 2011

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

helsabot posted:

Interesting. How much difference would that acutally make in day to day listening, particularly if I just plan on hooking it up to my soundbar since I don't have a receiver?
Also, are there any new good fully automatic turntables out there?

Unfortunately I can't give you a definitive answer to that. It might not be an audible difference with a soundbar, not sure. Personally though I couldn't see using something that expensive with poor specs as a source. You can get a nice vintage direct drive table like a Pioneer PL-550 or PL-570 for $200 or so and a nice clean preamp for around $50, add a $60 or $70 Shure m97xe cart and you've got the best possible sound for your money. If you go with vintage Technics you can get the tables even cheaper, any of the 1970's direct drive SL series are very nice tables and you can usually get very nice condition examples for $70-$150.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Squirrel007 posted:

So my turntable that I found in the garage and cleaned up poo poo out on me. I have a low price range.

Between these two, which is the best choice? They dont require an extra amp do they? Which one comes with a better cartridge? Sorry I wouldn't know the difference between cartridges or anything so im pretty challenged when it comes to shopping for audio equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306704647&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX250H-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00005T3XH/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306704647&sr=1-2

Is there a better turntable for around 100 dollars that I should look at? Any help is appreciated!

edit: how about this thing?
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLTTB1-Professional-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00009V3TU/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306704647&sr=1-17

They're all pretty weak honestly, you should buy this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TECHNICS-SL1350-VINTAGE-AUTOMATIC-DIRECT-DRIVE-CHAINGER-/290550793038?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43a62d434e

Just make sure they pack it really well.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I've used all forms of cleaning including wet vac setups and wood glue hands down has the best, most dramatic results.

Also, if you put the glue on at the correct thickness you can get drying times down to around 3-4hrs per side. Not ideal for cleaning an entire collection (regular cleaning is still handled by a microfiber and some record cleaning spray) but for heavily soiled or 'hopeless' records, wood glue is the only show in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Well I mean 95% of what I buy is either new or next to new, a quick spray and wipe and they're good. For the seriously dirty poo poo I make a project out of it I guess. I'll sit around all day listening to clean records while I clean dirty ones.

On the table right now, Miles Davis - Circle In The Round. Currently cleaning, a free copy of Morcheeba - Never An Easy Way :dance: