Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

Odoyle posted:

Any experience with this player or suggestions why I shouldn't get the P1?

This article explains why you should get a Pro-ject Debut III over the P1. The Debut is what I've heard recommended again and again and the Ferrari red version will be my first "nice" TT.

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Oh man I'm so pumped! I just bought this, the venerable Technics SL-1200MK2, for less than $300 shipped (after Live.com cashback).

I thought I was set on getting an entry-level "audiophile" deck from either Pro-ject, Music Hall or Rega but the more I read the more I learned just how much better the 1200 is than all those fancy pants tables, both in construction and sound quality. For the price, I couldn't pass it up.

The modding and upgrade potential for the 1200 is also enormous so I'm sure this deck is going to be with me for a LONG time.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Owsla posted:

I'll probably pick up the KAB tonearm fluid damper eventually, it seems like a really great idea and I've read nothing but great reviews.

Same here. First purchase though will be a Denon DL-110 which I've heard nothing but praise for and is often recommended with the 1200.

I will be attaching that to an LP Gear Zupreme headshell for added mass and stiffness (and the ability to adjust azimuth).

Then I'll get the cardas wire upgrade for the tonearm and THEN the fluid dampener. Might also experiment with different mats. Oh man the tweaker in me is so excited!

My wallet is not!

e: and this beautiful and inexpensive record clamp as well

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 15, 2008

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

No prob. I just ordered mine from their eBay site. You can submit your own offer. Seems $22.50 is the lowest they'll go on the TTWeight. +$15 shipping comes to $37.50. Good deal considering lesser quality items are going for $50 or more, before shipping.

e: Check out this polished silver faceplate! I don't think my thirst for mods will ever cease... and the deck hasn't even arrived yet!

Oh and here's some links for DIY rewires and other mods:

Modified Technics SL-1200MK2

How to Rewire a Technics Tonearm Part I

How to Rewire a Technics Tonearm Part II

How To Rewire a Technics SL-1200 Tonearm

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 16, 2008

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Denon DL-110 is what I'm getting for my 1200 because of all the praise I've heard from Technics owners. It's a high output moving coil so you can use it with a standard moving magnet phono stage and hear what all the hype about MCs is about. I've seen some places selling it for as low as $80 but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

after reading reviews for both, I think I'm going to pick up the Denon. So what is the hype of a MC?

Wikipedia posted:

The MC design is again a tiny electromagnetic generator, but (unlike an MM design) with the magnet and coils reversed: the coils are attached to the stylus, and move within the field of a permanent magnet. The coils are tiny and made from very fine wire, so are even lighter than the small magnet used in an MM cartridge, thus improving the tracking ability of the cartridge. This can give extended frequency response as well as greater fidelity.

Google "moving magnet vs moving coil" for some more insight from owners. Some people's tastes lean toward MM over MC so it's hardly open and shut, but the Denon's are regarded as pretty special.

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 19, 2008

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

The Technics will have the edge in pitch stability and accuracy. The Regas are known to be 1% too fast on average. The Rega arm is better than the Technics' though. HOWEVER, the 1200 has an incredible upgrade potential. Check out kabusa.com They sell mods and accessories for the 1200 that will transform it into a truly high-end deck.

Here's what I'm eventually going to be doing to my own:
- Herbie's Way Excellent II Turntable Mat
- TTWeights record clamp
- Cardas tonearm re-wire*
- New headshell (LP Gear Zupreme)*
(after those two, the Technics' arm can compete with the Rega's)
- Nice budget cart (Denon DL-110)
- Tonearm Fluid Dampener*
(Technics' arm now kicks the Rega's rear end)
- External Power Supply*

*Upgrades exclusive to the 1200

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

MrCompson posted:

Since I live in Norway, buying anything from kabusa would end up being incredibly expensive, due to shipping cost and import tax. I don't really know about any comparable Norwegian sites, or I'd consider that.

How about something like the ProJect RPM5 or RPM 6.1?

I was looking at the RPM5 before I decided on the Technics. Here's a good review.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Yay, Christmas!

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

andretti posted:

that is sweet. how do you like it so far?

It's great! The only place in the house (I'm at my parents' for Christmas) to hook up the deck is in their bedroom into an old Yamaha receiver's phono input. That's connected to some old and decent, but nothing special Mirage speakers. It's not nearly as nice as my home set-up, but still sounds quite good. As you can see from the pic though, there really aren't any sturdy flat surfaces to put the deck on.

The cart that came attached is an Audio-Technica 8008, which I couldn't find much info on, except that it's supposed to be the same as the AT331LP which requires 1.0g - 1.6g of TF, so I set the counterweight to 1.5g. Since I have NO frame of reference, I can't tell how good this cart is, but I have no complaints so far. EXCEPT, it seems to be riding really low on the LP surface, and the very bottom of the plastic housing sometimes scrapes against the record which makes an annoying dull "khkkhggkhh" sound. Could it be the cantilever is giving more than it should? I wish I had another cart to test, but I'm pretty much broke. Sometime soon I should be able to get the DL110 to replace this AT.

Anyway, music out of this thing is beautiful and I can't wait to get back home and hook it up to my main system. Oh and my parents surprised me with a picture disc Dark Side of the Moon vinyl which is AWESOME except it's used (not the bad part) and quite warped :( So much so that the cart can't track properly, so I guess they'll try to return it and get a better one. I'm still waiting for my 180g My Bloody Valentine - Loveless LP to arrive. It better come soon cuz I'm leaving tomorrow!

metaxus posted:

Good to see the Discwasher D4+ hidden away there on the right ;)

Yep, another surprise from my parents which was very thoughtful.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I did balance the arm first, and I did set the VTA. I think the stylus might just be a little hosed. When I first opened the box and took out the deck, I noticed that the arm was not locked down. It had been allowed to swing freely and was sitting on the rubber platter mat. Perhaps it was damaged in shipping.

I haven't had a proper surface to get the table level on, so when I get back home I'll set it up properly and re-do the cartridge alignment. I really should get a tracking force scale... do you think my roommate's milligram scale could work for the job? It's one of those that looks like this:

Oh yeah and on the subject of cartridge alignment, anyone have experience with various protractors? I understand that the little white plastic thingy that comes with the 1200 is equivalent to a Stevenson alignment which minimizes distortion at the very end of an LP. I downloaded a Baerwald arc protractor (specific for Technics tables) from vinylengine.com and was planning on setting up the new cart with that. Baerwald is supposed to keep distortion at the beginning, middle and end even correct? I know it's the most popular. Then there's a generic Loefgren one which I'm tempted to try because that alignment is described as minimizing the distortion across the record. Makes sense.

Advice?

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 26, 2008

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

andretti posted:

I'm having a cat fur problem with my LPs, they seem to attract tons of it. I always operate my turntable with the dust cover on, and my LPs are only out of the sleeve when they're being played.

Is there a way to keep the cat hair off my records? It adds pops and occasional skips, and I can't blow it off.

Your records are building up static charge, which attracts hairs. If they're in paper sleeves, this can be part of the problem. Buy a bunch of poly-lined sleeves to replace the paper ones. And get an anti-static brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

A white PS3? Whaaaaaaaaat?