Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Hopefully this is the right place for this post. I recently fixed a vintage receiver I bought a while back and I have a few questions about using it. The ports for the speakers on the back appear to be a 2-pin din, but the speakers I'm looking seem to be RCA. Is that a thing? Is there anywhere I could purchase a speaker cable that is 2-pin din on one end and RCA on the other? Here are some pics:

The ports on my receiver

The speakers I'm looking at

My second question is, I'm wondering if there's a way for me to hook up a more modern source to this receiver. It has inputs as pictured below. I know I can't hook anything up to the phono, but can I rig something into the tape input for an mp3 player? I'm really not interested in the whole records thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

What kind of receiver is it, by the way? If you aren't terribly attached to it for any reason, it might be better to find something a little newer (anything from the 70s or newer will accept standard speaker wire and have an aux input for an mp3 player)

Thanks for the info. It's an old Grundig from the late 60's I think. It's weird that the receiver and speakers have different plugs since those speakers are Grundigs too. I want to use this receiver because it's badass basically. :P Here's a photo album from one that's on sale on ebay, http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie...session2068.jpg

I think I can figure the speaker thing out, I'm pretty good with electronics. This thing was broken when I got it, so I opened it up and fixed it. I guess I could just solder the speaker wires directly to the back of those 2-pin din inputs and then do RCA on the other end.

The thing I'm most confused about is getting mp3s in to this thing.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

For sure, you can rig something up! You might be able to find a 6-pin DIN connector somewhere, new or used, then you just need to figure out which pins are left channel, right channel and ground. Or, take that DIN port out and solder in some RCA instead, if that's easier. Would be an ugly hack though.

That's the part that confuses me. Say I find the pinout for that port, how do I convert that many pins into a 3.5mm or whatever?

Edit: I guess I should specifify that I'd like to just plug in an ipod or my phone or whatever.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Your standard 3.5mm connector has three poles: tip-ring-sleeve (TRS). Ring is right, tip is is left, sleeve is ground. The same three signals would also be coming from a 60's tape recorder, but in that DIN pinout (which was probably some proprietary standard that we don't know anything about). So you need to find out which pins were being used for what (for instance, by trial and error), then connect the two together.

Awesome, that's really helpful. Does this schematic help at all in finding the pinout?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Making some progress, found this...

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Aha! If I combine that with this I should be all set!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Oh poo poo, you're right. Didn't even notice that.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Nevermind, This is even better!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

peskyplumber posted:

I have another question. When I play my records, one speaker always craps out or isn't playing at full volume, or crackles. I just bought brand new speakers so that rules them out. The crackling really only happens when the receiver is set to phono mode, not when it's playing the radio. Am I right to assume something's up with my turntable?

I have a similar issue in that one of my speakers is way quieter than the other. I'm guessing it's caps, but :confused:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

If anyone is looking to unload some of these awesome receivers, let me know. I'm not super happy with my Grundig. My username @gmail.com

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Blistex posted:

Probably not much luck here, but check all the usual suspects.

Put up a poster on any bulletin boards you can find in your community. Post office, Grocery Store, Bus Station, etc...
Scan the local paper for yard sales when the weather is better, saturdays and long weekends are the best time to cruise for them.
Check out Craigslist/Kijiji. Ebay has tons of receivers, but they usually go for a bit more than they are worth.
Check out pawn shops, church rummage sales, and any place that deals with used wares.
Look in the paper for private/estate auctions. If you're really trying to narrow things down a bit, check out the obituaries for Vietnam vets or Navy guys who would be in their mid 50's to mid 60's, and find out it there is going to be an estate auction. Apparently a lot of them would pick up a receiver in Japan and either take them back on the ship or mail them home directly. I know of three people who have Sansui receivers that were originally vet/navy bring-backs.

If you're not dead-set on it being vintage, check out the curbs and posters when the university students are going home for spring, or coming to school in the fall. A lot of them are leaving their apartments or moving to new ones and lots of stuff goes by the wayside, even decent receivers from time to time.

Yeah, this is my normal process. I found my Grundig at an estate sale, just waiting for the weather to warm up for garage sale season. Was just hoping one of you awesome dudes had an extra laying around. ;)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

TooLShack posted:

Any brands/WPC you are looking for?

I'm a sucker for a silver face and blue lamps and woodgrain. This will be for my vintage video game arcade, so honestly looks are probably 80% what I'm looking for. But I would like a quality receiver that will get loud also. I'd like to be able to plug in a modern source (phone, ipod, whatever) with minimal fuss.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

TooLShack posted:

Cool, I might be getting a second Sansui 8080db tomorrow. Depending on it's condition I might have to get rid of my current one. Shipping on something like this will be pricey though.

Let me know if you decide to part with it, that thing looks pretty boss. I do plenty of soldering and pcb work, so I'm not scared of a rebuild.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

The Leon Hikari posted:

Well, because I felt like it.

That is gorgeous.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

The Leon Hikari posted:

And this is glorious.

Unf. Why can't I find anything like that? I fixed up a 50's Grundig, but it doesn't have any style...

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Picked up a set of these yesterday for a grand total of free dollars. They sound pretty ok to my untrained ears, are they anything special?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Probably not. Vintage Technics gear is generally respectable-to-renowned but their speakers are kind of considered to be the exception to that rule. Have you tried googling that model and seeing if there are any AudioKarma threads about it? That's usually a pretty decent way of gauging relative value without expending much effort.

Was just in the midst of that. Seems they're no good for smooth jazz and fine cognac. They'll make good basement speakers I guess.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

TooLShack posted:

Do they sound good to you? That is all that should matter, and poo poo they were free.

Oh yeah, for sure. I wasn't kidding about using them in my basement. :P

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

but weren't very heavy which was a let down.

You try carrying them down to your basement and see. :argh:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Oh drat, please let me know when you're selling things.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

The HK630 sold within half an hour of listing it on Kijiji (I guess I didn't price it high enough). I still have th Nikko up there.

You're in Canada, right? (so shipping would probably kill it) But what are you asking for it?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Would folks here be interested in updates as I post stereo things?

Yes please.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Anyone have any info on these RH Labs subwoofers? There's an SB-1 module and another thing whose back panel obscures the model number.

The two items in question.

The SB-1 module.

Mystery box.

The back of the mystery box; the model number might be SBX-?, or GBX-? or something else with an X in it.

I can't find any info online on the subwoofers or how much they're worth. Any clues?

I don't know what they are, but they look awesome. Let me just set my drink down on this end table... gently caress YOU I'M A SUBWOOFER.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Yeah, take it apart and clean it properly you goon.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

are those batteries? holy poo poo

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

my turn in the barrel posted:

I have been downsizing and getting all my audio/videogame/collectable poo poo ready to sell.

Finally got to a point I could try out my Marantz stack. It hasn't been powered on for 15 years so I was nervous it might not work.

Plugged it in and was pretty happy.

3200 preamp
150 tuner
510m power amp

Here is a video of the tuner with the scope set to audio visualization.

https://youtu.be/PdaNCKh5dsc

I got to this post and said, "oh drat" out loud. :discourse:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Anyone have a marantz 2xxx to sell? Kinda maybe thinking about one for my office.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have a 2235b but it's my baby and I don't wanna part with it tbh :(

Then you treasure that baby until you die. To anyone else though, I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, projects are ok.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I think I've settled on the 2245 model Marantz as the one I want. Trying to figure out speakers now, need smallish ones that I can sit my monitors on. Anyone have any feelings about the Klipsch R-15m's?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Display monitors, lol. I knew that was going to be confusing.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hmm...speakers vibrate. Not sure I would want to put a monitor on top of one. Also you want there to be separation of R/L so I wouldn’t just stick them side by side without some space in between. Have you considered smaller speakers that could fit around/beneath your displays instead?

There really isn't room on my desk. This is in my office at work, so nothing will be very loud. Not concerned about vibrations.

From what I've read, the 2245 has a warm sound. Should I find something to match that? I really have no idea what to choose.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

For sure I agree with all that. I had originally planned to get a 2220, but I'm getting a good deal on the 2245 for not that much more so it was a no brainer. I have a whole slew of monitors on my desk (which is why there's no room) and I plan to put the speakers under the 2 outside ones which gives almost 4 feet of separation. This stuff will not always be in my office either, I didn't want to pay for things twice so here I am.

tldr: this is a dumb overkill setup and I know this (but also I like it :getin:)

edit: I ended up grabbing some Sony SS-CS5's for the speakers, found a lot of good reviews.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

For sure I agree with all that. I had originally planned to get a 2220, but I'm getting a good deal on the 2245 for not that much more so it was a no brainer. I have a whole slew of monitors on my desk (which is why there's no room) and I plan to put the speakers under the 2 outside ones which gives almost 4 feet of separation. This stuff will not always be in my office either, I didn't want to pay for things twice so here I am.

tldr: this is a dumb overkill setup and I know this (but also I like it :getin:)

edit: I ended up grabbing some Sony SS-CS5's for the speakers, found a lot of good reviews.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I picked up a set of marantz sp-1500s recently that need a bit of work. I know they aren't super well regarded, but it's a project :shrug:

Anyone out there that could help me out with a few parts?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

if you're at all handy, just do it yourself. I cringe when I see the prices people pay to have some capacitors replaced.

edit: or just send it to me for disposal

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

You can't really meter a capacitor in circuit, I'm not even sure that is a capacitor anyway.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

y'all probably know better than I do, I've seen xtals that look like that though

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

scrub it with a de-greaser and then polish with novus

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

my turn in the barrel posted:

I finally plugged in my marantz stack. So much walnut.

https://youtu.be/tTYDuTcWk8k

:popeye::drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Marantz are real good. My daily driver is a 2245.