Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Millions posted:

Tegan gets the same, 1 cup split between two meals. She still eats poop occasionally, but corgs gonna corg.

Rosie gets the same with maybe a little more if another corgi is at daycare, because they run all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!
Violet also gets a cup a day split between two meals. It's a toss up if she will decide to feast on a kitty treats that escape the litter box, and then puke all over my rug. :bang:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I wish Count would eat a little bit slower, he eats like he's still a stray or something.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Ruby has one of those maze-looking bowls to keep her eating slowed down. We feed her (and fed Lucy) 2 cups a day, which keeps their weight fine.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
We went to the beach over the 4th weekend and Rosie is a swimming fiend:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
We also go with the half-cup twice a day. Gizmo also gets liberal amounts of fish oil.

Unfortunately, it has stopped helping his incredibly flaky undercarriage skin.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Panda turned 5 today. She's a big dumbo. Left is her when she was a lil puppy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skeezy posted:

I wish Count would eat a little bit slower, he eats like he's still a stray or something.

Mine eats like it's a competitive eater and I hope it never changes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So, uh, the Korean chat client kakao talk has this emoticon pack.

And it's animated.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 19, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I have always wanted to own a corgi, but I always told myself I'd wait to buy a house first. Well in the current market its still way smarter for me to continue to rent. My question is, how tenable is it to raise a puppy in an apartment? I'm adjacent to a park for walks, and would do so at every opportunity but I just feel like its a bad enviornment.

The other thing is both me and my partner work, so I am not sure how we would tend to the needs of a puppy if we're both gone for 8 hours a day. Has anyone dealt with this struggle, or have any advice?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Knifegrab posted:

So I have always wanted to own a corgi, but I always told myself I'd wait to buy a house first. Well in the current market its still way smarter for me to continue to rent. My question is, how tenable is it to raise a puppy in an apartment? I'm adjacent to a park for walks, and would do so at every opportunity but I just feel like its a bad enviornment.

The other thing is both me and my partner work, so I am not sure how we would tend to the needs of a puppy if we're both gone for 8 hours a day. Has anyone dealt with this struggle, or have any advice?

My wife and I were in the same position. Kept waiting until we got a house and that never happened. We went ahead and got our corgi while in an apartment. It wasn't the easiest but we managed but then again, Panda wasn't difficult to deal with when it came to barking. Having family that she could stay with for mini vacations was also helpful. Probably totally depends on the dog and owner.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

I Might Be Adam posted:

My wife and I were in the same position. Kept waiting until we got a house and that never happened. We went ahead and got our corgi while in an apartment. It wasn't the easiest but we managed but then again, Panda wasn't difficult to deal with when it came to barking. Having family that she could stay with for mini vacations was also helpful. Probably totally depends on the dog and owner.

Alright thanks, now onto the long and seemingly impossible task of finding a corgi puppy wihtin the next few months.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I think the best question to ask yourself is: why do you want a corgi specifically, and why do you want a puppy?

If you're both working 8 hours daily, do you have the time and energy to commit to raising and training a high-energy herding breed?

I adopted Tegan at the age of 4, and I'm really lucky to have a flexible work schedule because even at "middle age" she could run around the park literally all day. When she isn't properly exercised, she spends all day barking at the people on the other side of my duplex.

Corgis are great but they're a lot of work. You might consider looking into adopting a slightly older corgi that could be a better fit for your schedules.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In my experience Corgis can be very YMMV. I have three and:

1 is high energy, barks a lot, always wants to play, cries to play, got her when she was a puppy.
2 is lethargic, barks a lot, barks at things on TV which is frustrating, always wants to be scratched or petted, we adopted her at 2.
3 is just a big dofus, rescued when he was 2 and he was a puppy mill leftover -- because of that he's very shy, scared of new things, never barks

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Dave posted:

In my experience Corgis can be very YMMV. I have three and:

1 is high energy, barks a lot, always wants to play, cries to play, got her when she was a puppy.

This is Rosie. The only way we make it work is she goes to daycare five days a week so she gets all her playing out there.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Count is super quiet and only barks when we play around with him. I think he might be 7 or 8?? No idea, he was a stray but he's super chill. He rules.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 25, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

How much should a corgi puppy be fed. We just brought her home. I keep hearing 2 cups, so I would assume one in the morning and one at night right?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Knifegrab posted:

How much should a corgi puppy be fed. We just brought her home. I keep hearing 2 cups, so I would assume one in the morning and one at night right?

That's what I feed my adult corgi (and we've actually cut back a bit as he's become less active as hes aged). Varies greatly between different foods though so read the bag, keep an eye on his weight, and adjust accordingly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah we do 2 3/4 cups for our adult Corgis. They started to get a little chubby with full cups.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks guys. The food we got her has good instructions so we're gonna follow that till her vet appointment later this week. Trying really hard to name her but its so hard to come up with a name you love!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks guys. The food we got her has good instructions so we're gonna follow that till her vet appointment later this week. Trying really hard to name her but its so hard to come up with a name you love!

This may sound a little :goonsay: but my method since I was a kid was to name dogs after first party Sega characters and Cats after first party Nintendo characters. At the very least it helps narrow down the list.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

All of our Corgis are named after greek food. It's been pretty awesome.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Glazier posted:

This may sound a little :goonsay: but my method since I was a kid was to name dogs after first party Sega characters and Cats after first party Nintendo characters. At the very least it helps narrow down the list.

I look through lists of foreign names until something sounds pretty. So far I've gotten Nadja and Piroska for my old cats and Amorette for my basset.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I named my Sam Carter. You can see where my thoughts dwell.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

We're thinking Kaiju since we can call her kai and juju as nicknames and Kaiju translates literally to"strange beast". I also think it sounds pretty but I'm a terrible weeb after all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Knifegrab posted:

We're thinking Kaiju since we can call her kai and juju as nicknames and Kaiju translates literally to"strange beast". I also think it sounds pretty but I'm a terrible weeb after all.

Corg'th'lhu Dog'Corgthoff, Barking Death of Worlds.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fall back name for sure

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Glazier posted:

Her name should be Haruka.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Can anyone recommend a good chew toy that is more... like papery? I feel like that is a bad and terrible thing to give a puppy but I'm wondering if there is a smart safe alternative. She really likes things that have crunch/tear to them. Like a paper ball and what not only obviously she cannot have that.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Can anyone recommend a good chew toy that is more... like papery? I feel like that is a bad and terrible thing to give a puppy but I'm wondering if there is a smart safe alternative. She really likes things that have crunch/tear to them. Like a paper ball and what not only obviously she cannot have that.

Have you tried crinkler toys?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSJFPQK/

Or water bottle toys? Ones where you put an empty water bottle into it so the dog can crush, crunch, and chew it to destruction.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KKUVUGW/

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

.Z. posted:

Have you tried crinkler toys?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSJFPQK/

Or water bottle toys? Ones where you put an empty water bottle into it so the dog can crush, crunch, and chew it to destruction.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KKUVUGW/

We ended up getting her a crinkle octopus, thanks for the suggestion, I had no idea those types of toys existed for dogs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Knifegrab posted:

Fall back name for sure

Knifegrab posted:

We ended up getting her a crinkle octopus, thanks for the suggestion, I had no idea those types of toys existed for dogs

Are you sure it's still just a fallback name? :v::cthulhu:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Time for another sad post.

Igby died this morning, he was probably fourteen. (got him twelve years ago at the SPCA, they didn't know his age). I typed up a eulogy if anyone wants to read it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

So sorry to hear about Igby. He seemed like a good boy. I'm glad to have met him.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I'm so sorry for your loss, he looked like a very good boy.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

Time for another sad post.

Igby died this morning, he was probably fourteen. (got him twelve years ago at the SPCA, they didn't know his age). I typed up a eulogy if anyone wants to read it.

He seemed like such a good boy. I would be interested to read a eulogy about such a good boy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I Might Be Adam posted:

So sorry to hear about Igby. He seemed like a good boy. I'm glad to have met him.

Yeah I'm glad he got to meet Panda, that was a fun day.

Here's the doc if anyone wants to feel sad:

igby eulogy

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

That's from Saturday morning, he wasn't able to stand by the end of that day and laid by me on the couch until he stopped breathing the next morning.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

That's from Saturday morning, he wasn't able to stand by the end of that day and laid by me on the couch until he stopped breathing the next morning.

I’m sorry for your loss. He seems like such a good boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Cross-post from the cute thread

https://twitter.com/CuteEmergency/status/893454760036184068

• Locked thread