Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Dr. Spaceman posted:

Oh man your dog is adorable! I love her name too.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is that more of a rare coloring? Most of the Pembrokes I see are usually solid orange/white. Every once in a while though, I will see a Corgi with a dark brown "cape." Those are my favorite. :3:

I've posted Connor before in PI, and I only have the one picture of him, but here he is again:

Click here for the full 896x672 image.

One of only three Corgis I've known personally. The other two were red and white, a father and daughter with no champion bloodlines to speak of but a very strong working history. All owned by the sister and brother-in-law of a woman my dad dated. I don't know anything about Connor's breeding, but he did have the tri-color markings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

anachrodragon posted:

Josie perked up and ran over and sat down right next to him, and the next thing I know she lets out this low rumbling WWWUFF with a growl at the end. It was pretty funny and also drat cute.

There were some fun moments like this with the older male corgi our friends had. Bear had been retired from herding when his owner decided to get out of flock animals and into horses, so they repurposed him as a ratter. Now, corgis are not ratters, but by God did Bear have a passion for hunting and killing rats. The best way to get him to make that noise you described was to say "Go get the rats, Bear!"

Even cuter was watching his daughter try to imitate him when she was just a teeny puppy. Same exact sound, but much higher and quieter. Then again, Lily was all about the "I'm a big dog!" stuff, which just made her a thousand times cuter.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Pineapple posted:

Sometimes dogs will surprise you with what makes a good ratter. My mom's family had a litter of St Bernard/Rottie mixes when she was a kid that were excellent ratters and worked as a team to keep the rats out of the horse barn.

Oh, Bear was fantastic. He had a really keen nose and would sniff out pretty much any kind of rodent and then dispatch it, often by carefully digging up a nest without damaging much of the surrounding ground. They never had any squirrels on their farm :D

What was especially cute was that he would set off sniffing, and Lily would follow him, and along behind them was their daughter's boyfriend's Boxer. The two corgis were low to the ground and had pretty good noses, so they would follow a trail. Spike the big goof would come along behind and try to follow the trail, but had a fairly poor sense of smell and was easily distracted. It was hilarious to watch the three of them. They'd follow a relatively straight line and he'd be weaving like it was a ski slalom.

Spike lived in an apartment, so it was a big treat for him to come out to the farm and run around. The corgis thought he was awesome, especially Lily, who was young and liked to wrestle. The family also fostered dogs for a local humane society, and I had a hard time saying goodbye to the big red chow who liked to roll in the red clay mud. It was the same color as his fur, so when it dried you couldn't tell how dirty he was. I was petting him one day and was horrified that his hair color was coming off on my hands! It was great.

I only met Connor once, when he was a tiny sleepy puppy. They bought him to give Lily a permanent buddy when Bear died. My sister said he was always present at the foxhunts they went on, and wanted to run with the beagles. He was also quite comfortable being hauled up in a saddle with someone and riding around on the horses.

I would never own a corgi because I value my sanity, but they are very cool little dogs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

anachrodragon posted:

Cardigans are more laid back than Pems, just saying...

I don't know if it's possible to be less laid back than a Pembroke.

Now that I think about it, Bear was fairly chill when he wasn't chasing rats. Lily was probably just nuts because she was a puppy. I swear to God that dog did not STOP.

Honestly I have never met a breed I didn't like, though. I'm honest enough to admit that right now I am too lazy for a high-energy breed, and I want an easy transition into dog ownership, but there is nothing stopping me from getting a more "challenging" dog later in life.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

^^I guess that makes sense, really.

Lily definitely had as much herding neurosis and energy as any border collie I've met, but she did calm down as an adult and respond to correction when she did things like try to herd toddlers :D

I don't have the pictures, but they went to some kind of large gathering for corgi owners with Lily and Connor. My dad said that the corgis were trying to herd each other and that it was really cute. He showed me photos of like fifty corgis just chilling out in a park after they had tuckered themselves out chasing and sniffing each other.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

bakahentai posted:

Oh my god, it can fly!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Pooptron2003 posted:

I noticed teddy shed a LOT more when I first got him.

A lot of dogs and cats will shed more when they're stressed, so being in a new home might have also caused him to shed more. Charlie always dumps about half the hair on his body whenever we take him to the vet.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Tristesse posted:

Docking dog's tails honestly freaks me out and I wouldn't have a dog with a docked tail.

There's a super cute beagle in one of our local rescues who had to have his tail amputated almost to the base, and it's freaky as hell.

Yet I want him so badly. I want to tell people he's a Manx beagle. :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

coyo7e posted:

So it's actually part of standard procedure to acclimatize a dog to cats, after they've been rescued and while they're still in the foster home?

A lot of foster homes have cats, and those that don't often go out of their way to test the dog with cats from other households. Most of the rescues around here have a full write-up of the dog's personality available, including leash manners, issues like separation anxiety, whether or not the dog likes to ride in the car, etc. and what the dog's reaction is to cats, children, and small animals.

We're not talking about walking into the pound and picking up a dog. A rescue, especially a breed rescue that understands the nature of the particular breed of dog they serve, will definitely have a good handle on whether or not an individual dog would be good with a cat.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

First my friend wanted a teacup chihuahua, now she wants a corgi puppy. Thankfully she just moved into an apartment and has no money, and I can only hope she moves past the corgi phase before she gets a chance to actually get one. She's a great gal and not a bad owner of her existing pets, but she is in no way in a position to give a corgi puppy what it needs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Apologies for the double post.

We went on a walk tonight through our neighborhood and went past one house that had SIX corgis in the yard. I'm hoping some of them were visiting or something, because I cannot imagine having more than two or three of them in one household without the whole place imploding from puppy insanity.

I'll admit, though, I was sad that their fenced-in area was so far back from the sidewalk. I would have loved to get some pets in, but I felt weird walking up their driveway to do it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I would imagine that an alpaca would kick a corgi to death without so much as batting an eyelash if the dog tried to herd it, given what I have seen about their personalities.

We had some distant neighbors when I was growing up that had alpacas, and they had a Pyr out with them, but no herders. I gathered that they "herded" the alpacas by shaking a grain bucket near where they wanted them to go and then got out of the way.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

angryhampster posted:

This just popped up at a local shelter:

He looks sassy :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Huntsekker posted:

I am informed by the other members of my household that it is literally impossible for this to be a real dog. :colbert:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Neither of our pets gives a gently caress about the iPad. It greatly disappointed my husband.

We walked past the "corgi house" the other night and I was sad to see that there was not a single corgi out in the yard. It was getting close to dark, though, so I'm guessing they were just inside. Husker probably wouldn't have let us walk past without saying hello to the giant gang of corgis :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Wonder Bra posted:

Our cat is on Science Diet Rx for urinary crystals (which I'm guessing years of REGULAR Science Diet gave him before I knew any better and tried to switch him to something GOOD only to have his bladder self-destruct). He's also not a big jumper or particularly agile... What's the best way to keep the corgi from eating his food aside from putting the food somewhere high up?

The cat isn't free-fed, he gets 1/4 cup dry in morning and evening... but he doesn't eat it all at once. I suppose there's a small chance the corgi won't be interested in his kibble (hah) but any advice would be appreciated. :)

We built a plywood-and-plexi box for our cat's food and water dishes, and cut a cat-sized hole in it at ground level. No jumping required. A corgi should be large enough to not be able to get into the box through the opening.

When my sister's Aussie was a puppy she would lay down on the floor in front of it and stick her head as far in through the opening as she could, then stretch her tongue out to collect any stray cat-kibbles within reach :3: These days she can't even get her head in the hole.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

abaddonis posted:

Did anyone in the Virginia area go to the middleburg, va parade? There were easily 75 corgis in the corgi corps and I was curious to see if there were any other goons there

Aw, I wish we had known :3: We went to the Manassas one yesterday, since my stepson was marching with his JROTC unit. There were miniature horses, but no cute armadas of dogs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin didn't know how to catch things in the air until we started bouncing his ball for him. Once he got the hang of it, he'll grab treats we toss, too!

Corgis are pretty good jumpers, right? We've been steadily working Husker up to where we have him sit and then toss a treat high enough that he has to jump for it, it's a pretty cool trick. All four feet leave the ground. I bet a corgi would be able to do much more impressive aerial maneuvers than a big lanky greyhound :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

MurderouslySly posted:

Long story short, I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with any breeders within MD/DC/VA/WVa/Maybe Southern PA area?

I can ask my dad's girlfriend, she used to show corgis back in the day and still has one (or two, I think?), and lives in RVA.

We spent a couple of hours tonight jawing about crazy dogs we've known :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

I imagine with 7 Corgis they just constantly chase each other in a perfect circle and you never have to worry about their exercise or play time.

There is a house near us where I once saw at least five corgis in the yard. There was much adorable romping going on :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My sister tells me Pinterest has added a Corgis category. It was you guys, wasn't it.

:colbert:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Closet Nerd posted:

A corgi category? What, I don't see that, is it like a sub category under pets?

No idea, I'm not actually on Pinterest myself.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I'm wondering how Aslan will adjust back to my friends' house after a week here. Especially the schedule aspect. They go to bed pretty early because they have a toddler, and the first couple of nights he took himself up to his crate and sacked out at about the same time they usually do. The last few days he's been staying up with me, and tonight he was playing with Murphy and Husker (mostly Murphy, Husker tapped out and begged for leftovers) until like 10:00 pm. Hopefully that won't cause them any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Apparently Alton Brown has corgis, and someone tweeted him about a corgi who needs a home. He says if someone from his followers list adopts the dog, he'll bake dog treats and deliver them himself :3:

• Locked thread