Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
Cable the tri-color Pembroke trying to fit in the cat bed

And in the Boise River, trying to figure out what all this wet stuff is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

My boy Cable was adopted, though I'm sure he was a mill/petstore/BYB situation before he came to us.

There are actually an astounding amount of corgis on Petfinder (where I found Cable), though many of them are mixes and weird-looking poorly-bred ones. A lot of people can't get past the "BUNNY BUTT OMG" and get a corgi, only later to realize they are very high-energy, high-maintenance dogs who need a dedicated owner. They are not small, cute lap dogs. They are small, cute, smart little bastards who have enough energy to run three hours and still ask (no, DEMAND) you to play fetch.

Consider adoption first :)

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Cable is really great about not yapping, except when he sees another dog when we're walking--then it's bark central. He also loves to growl when we are playing tug-of-war :3

Now, this is more of a general question, but spawns some disagreement between my husband and I: how much barking is too much? We don't permit him to bark in the house, but when he is outside at the dog park or going for a walk, I don't mind that he barks a bit. If we are playing roughly in the house (wrestling, chasing), he yaps sometimes to get my attention during our games. Now, my husband thinks he should *never* bark because he won't understand when he can and can't bark. I think *some* barking is good for his mental health - it's his way of talking!

What's PI's consensus?

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Miss Indy posted:

On barking:
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize corgi-barking was so different than with other breeds. Cable really rarely ever barks - but if it gets out of control, the time-out is an awesome idea. His worst nightmare is being separated from the action!

I almost wish he'd bark when someone strange approaches the door. He does get excited and wants to see who it is, but he doesn't announce them if they're a stranger. If it's someone he knows, THEN it's bark-greeting time :)

Here are some more pics. He's a super small corgi, and I don't doubt he's poorly-bred. Still, just as cute as any other corgi I've seen :3

Pose for the Christmas card, drat it!

Sleepy

House play!

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

I use a blade shedder on my guy, which keeps his hair to a minimum. But when he decides to blow his coat, it's pretty much everywhere. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Wow, corgis that hide and sleep away from people.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Eff Jay posted:

SO insanely cute Tulenian. I'm hoping to get Frank a play buddy soon (next 6-8 months) and I can only hope they play that well together. Corgis just make the best pairs!

Hey, let me know how that goes! Cable is super play-oriented, and it would be nice for him to have another dog to tire him out. I'd love another corgi :) I just worry that 2x corgis would just end being 2x trouble.

Slow Loris posted:

One problem, however, with this mix of dogs is hair. They both have the same color hair, and they both produce far more hair than you'd expect, considering the laws of physics. Our house literally has drifts of hair underneath all of the furniture, and accumulating in the corners. We've tried brushing both of them with wire brushes, but this seems to have no effect on how much they shed.

Have you tried the Furminator? It sounds stupid, but honestly it is a lifesaver with Cable's shedding. I swear after I used it the first time there really could have been another corgi missing his fur...

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

My corgi weighs about 23 lbs. as an adult at three years old. I get asked if he's a puppy all the time (I think it hurts his feelings). I think some corgis are just a bit smaller, but that's a lot better than those fatass corgis you see a lot who weigh 50 lbs. and pant when they walk to their food dish.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Cable's getting ready to go to See Spot Splash, sponsored by our local humane society.

Before they drain the pools for the fall, they let dogs come swim for free.

Because Cable has a height disadvantage, he had to stay in the kiddie pool (2ft).

Which is fine for him, because he still gets to swim.

Getting out of the pool is another question, though.

It's just as good run around barking like a maniac, too :)

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Those aren't real dogs, they're stuffed animals :colbert:

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Cable has been shirking his fluffy dog bed lately in favor of a large pile of laundry. I guess smellier is better.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

When I go hiking, Cable will just run away with strangers on the trail and walk beside them as though they have been friends forever. I was walking through a schoolyard offleash with him the other day, and he ran up to a bunch of girls who were done with soccer practice, and just walked with them their van. They asked him to join their soccer team :3:

What the gently caress do you want?

Just airing out my balls.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

What kind of shampoo do you use for your corgis? My guy's fur isn't as fluffy as I'd like it to be - on his back, it's very flat and coarse. His rear end and neck, where the fur is white, are okay, but when you see a "show" corgi, their fur looks so soft.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

[quote="abaddonis"]
Loki is 12 weeks old, and quite the handful. He still loves his sister. They have the same mother, different fathers, and they're close to 1.5 years apart. His legs are already thicker than his mother's. He will definitely end up bigger than Pepper (his sister)

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Is that a torn up sock I see? My idiot corgi loves to rip holes in my socks :arghfist:

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

My friend's Westie has allergies that pop up in the summer, and her belly/ears will turn dark as a reaction. You might want to check with your vet about allergies.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

My corgi must be strange. When we had just him, he had very little interest in food and treats - he would only eat once-ish a day, and sort of picked at his food. He doesn't take a treat out of your hand; instead, he smells it and then sort of looks at you like you offended him by not giving him a toy to play with. But now that we have another dog, he eats treats and food like a champ because of the competition, but not because he really wants to eat.

He is a steady 23-25 lbs and is fit and trim:

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

What do you get done on a corgi coat? I haven't ever taken mine in except for a nail trim. His hair seems to maintain itself - no length problems, etc. I bathe him once a month or when he gets into something nasty, but that's it.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

I got one of those vests for my corgi. I was testing it out on him and lifted him by the handle. He is normally a very crazy energetic dog, so when he went limp as he became airborne it was like he gave up on life, poor thing! I set him down and he later peed on the life vest.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Hello Corgi thread!

My poor little buddy Cable, 8-year-old corgi, just got diagnosed with an injured ACL. The vet is going off of symptoms and palpitation, though no imaging or exploratory surgery was done. The symptoms over the past few months have been limping and holding up his left hind leg after exercise (especially fetch).
Although at this point the vet thinks conservative treatment is warranted (rest and Rimadyl), he could need surgery in the future, and he absolutely cannot play fetch for the rest of his life. This is pretty devastating for Cable - he is super into fetch to the point of being a bit neurotic about it. It's crazy to think just a few years ago he was the king of the dog park who outran even the big dogs.

I've been trying to think of outdoor activities he can do in the backyard that are easy on the limbs and don't require intense running and turning, but I can't think of any. We've also got a camping trip coming up to a lake that is his favorite place, but he won't be able to fetch sticks in the water. Goons, can you help me think of things to keep Cable happy and busy that aren't going to destroy his knee?

Here he is napping by my desk. This pic makes him look super fat, but he's really only a few pounds overweight from his weigh-in at the vet today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Engineer Lenk posted:

Have you talked to your vet about easing him into swimming after the initial rest period? It'd be a good way to still play fetch with almost no impact on his joints.

The vet was concerned with the lead-up to swimming because Cable likes to leap straight into the water. If we ease him into the water, I think that'd be a great idea! I live in Idaho, though, so that wouldn't be possible in the winter months. Long walks instead, maybe, and puzzle balls?

• Locked thread