Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

I own a Pem named Frank, love him to death. Total character, I'll be sure to post some pictures later. But had a general question for the owners of the Cardi's here: I was noticing that some of you had to tape your guys ears up. I know that it's a painless thing, but with my guy along with the others that I know there's not much taping that goes on. Is this pretty common w/ Cardis?

Frank's went up late, but they were showing signs of life for weeks leading up to when they went up on their own. We used to call him little broken ears :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

paddiep posted:

I can ask my breeder about a swedish vallhund breeder down south. Won't get an answer till after Tuesday, Gotta stress they are a different personality then corgis!

Paddie can you explain to me the difference between a swedish vallhund and a pembroke? I'm not very familiar with vallhunds other than some brief googling but if you have one, you'd know great first hand. :D

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

I think the blond/white are probably the most common, tri's behind those and then the red/whites being the most rare in my area, at least as far as I've seen.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Miss Indy posted:

Blond/white isn't one of their coat colors. There are red/whites (which can range in the reds... your "blonds" are actually reds), tri colors, and sables.

Cardigans come in red/white, black/white, merle, sable, and brindle.

Thanks for pointing that out Miss Indy; my dad always called the corgis he had growing up a blond, so that's where I picked it up. I'll have to go call him and tell him the difference now :D

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

xboobookittifkxx posted:

I was reading on the AKC website, and there is a color called Fawn, which is a red that appears to be washed out. So that could be the blond that is being referred to.

Anyway.. here's some of mine, This was Gizmo's first visit to the dog park, his friend is a chihuahua/corgi mix.

Giz is a tank! I just want to steal him! That mix is really cool looking too. Corgis always make a fun dog to see mixed with some others :D

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

It might just be the pose, but he looks like he's got quite a bulky front in. Frank, my corgi which I'm slacking on posting pics of, was a really big puppy but then never got much bigger. I just love the way Gizmo's front shoulders look, real solid!

And I totall agree on the Dorgis, they're some cool looking dogs.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

So I've been slacking on getting up some pictures of my own Corg and with a little free time this morning, I decided to get it done!

Baby Frank

His nickname at this point was "Broken Ears."

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Lounging

Older Frank Mugging for the Camera

Frank and his fellow Tri-Friend Elphie

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Slow weeks for Corgis? I got a question for you Corg owners out there. We're thinking about expanding our little corgi family soon and I'd like to get some advice. Frank was from a BYB (I know, I know. Bad. :( it was my first dog buying experience and so far I've been very lucky) and if I was going to get another Corgi I'd like to go through a more reputable breeder. We'd like to get another Pembroke, so does anyone know of a good breeder in the Portland,OR / SW Washington area? Supplemental question: What are some other dogs who breed wise can match up well with a Pem if we decided to branch out? Any and all advice helps!

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

So insanely cute! I didn't see a puppy name?

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Frank was from an accidental litter from a family out in Mollala. They hadn't bred Corgis for a few years and were getting ready to get started again but Frank's parents were just a little too antsy. From what I've come to grasp from the board, it was pretty clear to see that Frank was coming from a BYB'esque place. Just with hearing so much good stuff and checking out C-Myste online, I'd like to go that direction with the next addition.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Looks like someone has a new avatar!

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

SO insanely cute Tulenian. I'm hoping to get Frank a play buddy soon (next 6-8 months) and I can only hope they play that well together. Corgis just make the best pairs!

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

It's totally true! Everyone I know who has gotten one Corgi claims they won't go after another one, but they end up caving. They really do look amazing in pairs :D

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Frank went through a similar "Destructo-Dog" phase. Anything we could give him toy wise that was fluffy was going to be torn to shreds. As far as bedding went, he would go for the foam, too. I actually went with a combo of towels and more fleece like dog blankets to put in the bottom of the kennels and while he'll still dig and paw at them to get them just right, he really stopped chewing them. Make sure they're clean towels, of course :D We stopped giving him fluffy toys altogether. I have no idea how he would react to them now, haha. How old is Ace again? Frank went through this phase from like the 6/9 month window until probably a year a half. It also helped when we made sure we were tiring him out like crazy with a good long walk or some frisbee/ball action.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Haha, I did the laser pointers with Frank but he started obessessing completely. Like searching the house for it when it was turned off. I just ended up feeling terrible to see him search for it, but man it was hilarious! Towels should help with it though. Before I put some in ( we have a soft foldable crate he sleeps in upstairs, but a normal little plastic one for when we leave the house that he can sit in front of the window) he had actually almost dug through the bottom of the soft kennel. For some reason he can really dig through the towels too hard AND even more than that, he seems to get a little too bored with chewing them and it not being destroyed fast enough. Good luck, those pups are total terrors but so drat cute!

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Frank can't resist socks either. If I sit on the bed with a pair next to me to put on without fail they're gone in NO TIME and I'm looking for him under the bed with a sock ball in his mouth.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

My wife and I bought Frank a supposedly indestructible chew toy / doll because we wanted him to have something soft to play with and lay on. The girl at the PetSmart assured us that he couldn't chew threw it and it felt pretty solid / tough. . .but even then I set that time that it would take Frank to destroy it at just under a week.

He didn't have it for more than an hour before he had gotten all the stuffing out from the inside. He was determined to get the stuffing and when I went back to see if he had just torn a huge hole in it or what, I realized that he had pretty methodically pulled out all the stitching in a straight line down the back. Determined little destructo-dog!

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

So, after much consideration, I've broadened my horizons (thanks, in large, to this thread) and am considering making Frank's sibling a Cardi despite my original partiality to Pems. For you Portland/Seattle Corgi-freaks, C-Myste is the breeders y'all have used, yeah? And for those of you who did C-Myste, which Cardi's were the parents of your furry, funny little chilren? My wife and I are probably going to start bugging them about there next few litters and trying to get one from them, as we're moving to a house (with a big yard!!!!) and it's going to be perfect for creating/continuing my devlish Corgi army.:3:

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Does everyone else's corgi obsess over their collars? If we don't put Frank's on him first thing in the morning, he will run around the house until he finds it and then pick it up and bring it. We like to talk about how he's a vain dog and just wants to look extra handsome, so that's why he does it but it is hilarious.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Yeah, my Corg can be a little standoffish around dogs (especially younger, more intense dogs) and just wants them to calm down. Corgis want to play but they want it on their terms, which can definitely be hard when puppies are involved!

Frank also took some time getting used to cats and still has some little teeth clicking and sharp "Get-the-gently caress-out" barks with our cat. Just remember - you're guys been through a lot lately and it's going to take some time for him to adjust and let his guard down. These little guys can be so stubborn that it's going to take him longer to adjust than you realize!

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

warwick5s posted:

Edison is fuckin smooooooth

He looks like he needs a pipe and a smoking jacket. He's looking so awesome there.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

lu lu lu posted:

Pets is right. Because you will never be satisfied with just the one corgi. They are like tattoos. Or potato chips. Right now we are working to build up our Oh poo poo fund, and as soon as we have that we are going to start looking for an adult corgi. Hopefully he will be a better example of the breed than this runty butt we have now :3:

this is the truth! My wife and I go back in forth over whether we should wait to get another one. . .then every time I see a Corg pup or all the new pics on here I get one day closer to bringing home a bro or sis for Frank.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

I got to echo the crating on this one. Frank the Corg is well behaved but we don't leave him out for all the reasons that Millhouse needs to be. Even the most well behaved dog is going to find ways to get in trouble when you're gone too long. For Frank, the crate has turned out to be his safe place and at this point, if we leave for even a short period, he gets really anxious and isn't happy since we're gone. We don't have an extra dog that is roaming around, but he doesn't seem to get bothered by the cat who sleeps on top of the kennel or right in front of it. Seems like Dex (cat) just keeps corg company.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

The Dave posted:

Yeah I've been making my own checklists over the last month 2 months of talking to and visiting breeders. Going to Lancaster really set up all my cynicism.

EDIT: Though one thing I don't get is the ears. Maybe I'm just not used to dogs who have bat ears but they just pop up over time? The guy I last spoke to said they pop up around 12-13 weeks and his poppy currently has one ear that is up and the other one is coming around.

I've also been around puppies that were 6 weeks old and both ears were as erect as a teenager. Educate me please.

They go up on their own, most of the time. Frank (my pem) was a late bloomer and his ears would go up sporadically before they started coming up and staying. He would definitely wake up with the ear equivalent of morning wood, which was hilarious to make jokes about. It's also incredibly cute to see a little Pem pup with one up and one down.

Some guys end up having to have their ears taped up to help guide them and strengthen the cartilage, but I think (and will probably be wrong) that is more common with cardis?

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Hey guys - Frank and I were out playing with the chuck it earlier and now he's limping :( There was no spot where I noticed him limping while we were playing, and no moment where he yelped or came up slow. Just a regular old ball playing time.

It's his front left paw. I checked the pads and his nails to see if there were any cuts or quick showing, nothing. I put his paw in my hand and just touched pretty much everywhere on his paw, arm and into the shoulder and he doesn't make a peep.

Other than the limping, you couldn't tell anything was wrong with him. Any ideas? Wife and I are going to keep an eye on him for a bit and then take him to the vet if he doesn't get better or starts to start whine. Any guess what's going on? Think it's just a strain from over working or?

EDIT: Already walked it off significantly. He's definitely feeling better already and looks like it was just a bit of a strain.

Eff Jay fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 19, 2010

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Bewildrbeast posted:

I still giggle at how stubby he is. He went to the bars last night with me and everybody loved him :3:

Portland Corgi (and corg mixes) are the best :hfive:

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

So question for the people who have integrated a 2nd corgi into the pack - how'd it go? I know Frank loves other dogs, but is also a total monopolizer of my attention/the wife so we're a bit worried about how he'd handle a puppy in the house. He was able to handle adding a kitten to the group about a year and a half ago pretty easily.

Actually, the way Frank plays with the cat and really wants him to play back in the same way (They love to wrestle and frank let's the cat bite/kick him, but as soon as the cat backs away, frank starts to bark because he's excited and just ends up scaring the cat :downs: ) really screams for a kid brother or sister. Any advice? Did you guys let your dog help pick the puppy?

through some random timing, frank's actual mom/dad are having another litter and there's the outside chance we'd be getting some other fur ball with from the same gene pool. Is there some downside to that I'm not thinking of?

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YrAILSxbq0

Anyone else running out to get a tetherball pole now? :)

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Sorry for the double post but just had to tell a little story about Frank's first night in our new house.

I let him out to go do his business, like we always did at the other house, in our new back yard. It's fully fenced in so he ran around found a nice little place to pee and found it.

A few seconds later he's getting ready to do his little corgi hop back to the door and then quickly goes into growl mode and takes off for the fence. I'm hollering at him to come back to the door (it was about 11 PM so I didn't want him going into full bark so loud the neighbors hate us EARLY in the process) and no dice.

What did he find? A skunk. A baby freaking skunk. I poo poo you not, we had just given him a bath three hours earlier! My wife and I have lived in this area our whole lives and have only seen 1 live skunk ever - and it was one that was deglanded and on a leash (Keeper Portland weird, yo)

So Frank got sprayed, we were lucky that he's a shorty because MOST of the skunk spray went over him and ended up just covering the yard - but nevertheless the wife and I were busy mixing up a mixture of house hold stuff the vet recommended and giving him his second, third and fourth baths until 12:15 last night so the little stinker could come inside. The poor look on his face was terrrrrible. He had not idea what he did to deserve essentially four baths in one day! At least Frank's adventures in the backyard can only go UP from here!

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

It's crazy for me to see some of these smaller on the weight size Corgs. Frank the Tank showed up to the vet at 40 lbs and I thought we were going to get an rear end chewing for him getting fat despite him tapering at the waist and being able to feel his ribs. No hanging belly or anything, just heavy.

Turns out they that he's just a jumbo corg and that he was completely @ a healthy weight for him. Definitely on the opposite end of some of the other posters here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Derp?

Derp.

Triple Derp.

• Locked thread