Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Sweet Jesus people are dumb/lazy.

:downs: I can't log into the intranet!

I respond telling her to make sure she is inputting her username with the domain in front, specifically in the format [domain]\[username] except I actually put the domain and her username in there. She literally had to copy and paste it.

:downs: I still can't get in, it says [local computer name]\[username]!

Yes, ok, just make sure you change it to [domain]\ like I showed you before.

:downs: It won't let me! I can't change the user field at all!

So I figure maybe she has an actual snowflake type issue, I connect to her machine, open IE, open intranet page, username field is editable but with the local machine name in front of the username...I edit it, done.

At least the Christmas luncheon is Friday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

couldcareless posted:

Sweet Jesus people are dumb/lazy.

:downs: I can't log into the intranet!

I respond telling her to make sure she is inputting her username with the domain in front, specifically in the format [domain]\[username] except I actually put the domain and her username in there. She literally had to copy and paste it.

:downs: I still can't get in, it says [local computer name]\[username]!

Yes, ok, just make sure you change it to [domain]\ like I showed you before.

:downs: It won't let me! I can't change the user field at all!

So I figure maybe she has an actual snowflake type issue, I connect to her machine, open IE, open intranet page, username field is editable but with the local machine name in front of the username...I edit it, done.

At least the Christmas luncheon is Friday...

I get this all the time, except that it's in Outlook and it keeps filling [exchange server]\[username] instead of [domain]\[username]. You can, of course, fix it by just typing the creds in correctly.

I found out the other day that one of our techs decided that people getting prompted to sign into Outlook meant that their credentials were out of sync on their laptops and was forcing remote users (remember, this is a in-home hospice care company) to drive 1-4 hours into the nearest office to plug into a cable and log in.

You can't even imagine how angry the users were when I told them what they actually needed to do.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

TenjouUtena posted:

I've very rarely had problems renaming end user machines through simply pressing the rename button and rebooting, but the sites I manage are usually single domain forests where domain controllers respond quickly and they're all on more or less the same network.

That said, I would never rename a server, but since it's all virtualized anyway, the barrier to setting up a new server is something like 2-3 hours if you do it from fresh media.
Yeah, same here. It keeps the computer account in the same OU, so no fuckery needed there. Ditto on the second part too.

Telex, why would you be renaming several hundred user machines anyway?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I just asked a Sr Systems Administrator who was the person within our organization who designed the security groups for a particular domain and he replied with "What is a security group?".

I just don't know what the gently caress anymore.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

madmaan posted:

I just asked a Sr Systems Administrator who was the person within our organization who designed the security groups for a particular domain and he replied with "What is a security group?".

:stare:

I actually don't even know what to say to that. That's just.... classy.
Any chance of you moving up to take that spot?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

madmaan posted:

Goddamn even I know that. Am I now qualified to be a Sr Systems Administrator?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Goddamn even I know that. Am I now qualified to be a Sr Systems Administrator?

In my company yes. I never had a doubt about these guys before. The SR level guys don't say much, they always seem busy, and have seemed to know what the gently caress before.

I have just come to the realization though that I have asked them a combined number of 3 different questions and all of them were answered with "contact this other group".

My illusions have finally all tumbled. I see what really is going on here now. Its loving terrifying.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

:stare:

I actually don't even know what to say to that. That's just.... classy.
Any chance of you moving up to take that spot?

If people don't know what the gently caress, how are they going to know that they need someone that knows what the gently caress.

I have just called 6 different people, I don't think ANYONE in my entire company knows who creates them. Not to mention, none of the security groups have any documentation on them.

**I have just tracked the creators down. They are employees in our office in India. They make them based on ticket without any approval or testing structure. They also have a huge turn over rate and aren't held to any standards that I can see. :smith:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

madmaan posted:

If people don't know what the gently caress, how are they going to know that they need someone that knows what the gently caress.

I have just called 6 different people, I don't think ANYONE in my entire company knows who creates them. Not to mention, none of the security groups have any documentation on them.

**I have just tracked the creators down. They are employees in our office in India. They make them based on ticket without any approval or testing structure. They also have a huge turn over rate and aren't held to any standards that I can see. :smith:

This is just the best. Your place sounds almost as fun as mine. I got asked by other IT staff how everyone was magically having their network drives mapped at logon with no .bat or .cmd attached to their user profile through ADDS. I had to explain GPO. :negative:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

This is just the best. Your place sounds almost as fun as mine. I got asked by other IT staff how everyone was magically having their network drives mapped at logon with no .bat or .cmd attached to their user profile through ADDS. I had to explain GPO. :negative:

I don't think anybody actually designs anything here in any logical way.

A Dept needs the ability to do x. They create a ticket and it goes to these guys. Random India guy creates a new security group/distro to perform x. They do not fill out the actually details within the object to document anything, its completely blank.

Group memberships are now incredibly long. Users in non complex depts belong to as many as 30 groups, others... well the sky is the limit. We don't even distribute software through gpo!

I am hoping to have a meeting today with someone so I can speak my peace. When that happens, I have at least say its out of my hands.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You really don't want to end up at the stage where your Kerberos ticket gets too long. You can get some pretty funky errors when that happens (especially with IIS6).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This just in, I have just fixed a citrix issue that has plagued my company for more than 3 years.

Sound has not played over citrix for any sessions. So far the one citrix admin we have has gave numerous excuses and the company has designed way AROUND this issue to provide the functions it need. Me, not having a lot of experience with citrix simply googled the problem due to me having no faith in anything, anymore. I found the problem within my first search, found the group policy invovled causing the issue, and actually made the change for a small target group.

gently caress if it didn't work after 10 minutes of brainless work. I did this knowing full well that my access is probably going to locked down and I will be bitched at. I am trying really hard to not force the Group policy change to the entire company.

gently caress it. :smug:

EDIT* I have decided to wait considering that audio would require a little bit more bandwidth even at the lowest quality setting.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Email the fix to a few dozen people politely asking 'Hey look what I found on Google! Should we do this?'. Passive agressive responses, ahoy!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SumYungGui posted:

Email the fix to a few dozen people politely asking 'Hey look what I found on Google! Should we do this?'. Passive agressive responses, ahoy!

This is taboo in my company. And I have basically already done this.

But don't apply logic to this situation. It will be your downfall. Instead, take in the awful site of it, drink it in like a terribly brewed wine, and try to laugh instead of cry.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

madmaan posted:

But don't apply logic to this situation. It will be your downfall. Instead, take in the awful site of it, drink it in like a terribly brewed wine, and try to laugh instead of cry.

Throwing the Elephant : Zen and the Art of Managing Up is one of the millions of self help office politics books out there, but this one is actually a good one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Telex posted:

it tends to cause problems unless you:

unbind the machine from the domain (reboot)
delete the unbound machine from AD
rename the machine (reboot)
re-bind the machine

And if you have our AD structure you don't leave machines in the default OU, you move them around to special places. And also you have hundreds of machines and plenty of people that are totally uninterested in this taking 5 minutes out of their day. Times a few hundred.
Thank you. Also on top of this you have everything that uses computer names instead of machine account guid (VPNs, asset management, you name it)

Poing posted:

Telex, why would you be renaming several hundred user machines anyway?
Discussion started when someone mentioned their predecessors changing the naming schemes without implementing the change retroactively.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Lovie Unsmith posted:

At a client's my boss created a group called Overlords, who have full control of all the user folders without being domain admins. When (hopefully) nobody was looking I added some notes:

:black101:

I love how the first time I saw this, I red it as words. Then the song started playing in my head as I red it the second time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

madmaan posted:

To play devil's advocate, is it possible that he's intentionally fumbling this, just to preserve his sweet sanity and some sweet bandwidth?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Volmarias posted:

To play devil's advocate, is it possible that he's intentionally fumbling this, just to preserve his sweet sanity and some sweet bandwidth?

Its possible. If its a design decision than it could be handled the way all design decisions should.... by you know.. documentation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

madmaan posted:

Its possible. If its a design decision than it could be handled the way all design decisions should.... by you know.. documentation.

Well, you mention that he basically shouted as loud as possible that this wasn't possible, would never be possible, etc. I'm suggesting that he's doing this despite company opposition, simply to save himself trouble, or because he was "informally" asked to do this.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

madmaan posted:

As someone that designs and implements solutions, I've NEVER EVER lied about capabilities of something to otherwise make a solution work within a budget i've been given.

NEVER EVER. :rolleyes:

You KNOW people will be watching streaming video over Citrix before the week is out.

You also KNOW that if you said, "We disable sound/streaming in order to preserve bandwidth" you'll get some cockgobbler who comes up and says, "I have a business need to watch netflix over citrix."

In a perfect org, saying no, and having a good reason should be enough. I know I've never worked in such an org, and neither has anyone else.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nitrogen posted:

As someone that designs and implements solutions, I've NEVER EVER lied about capabilities of something to otherwise make a solution work within a budget i've been given.

NEVER EVER. :rolleyes:

You KNOW people will be watching streaming video over Citrix before the week is out.

You also KNOW that if you said, "We disable sound/streaming in order to preserve bandwidth" you'll get some cockgobbler who comes up and says, "I have a business need to watch netflix over citrix."

In a perfect org, saying no, and having a good reason should be enough. I know I've never worked in such an org, and neither has anyone else.

We already have a web proxy system in place which is very good and very restrictive. This really isn't a concern.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
A verbal ticket came in:

"Please add my personal laptop to the domain as it will be my primary work computer."

My brain does not like the fact that I'm adding a Ubuntu 11.10 install to our domain. I guess I get to support Linux now.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

blackmanjew posted:

A verbal ticket came in:

"Please add my personal laptop to the domain as it will be my primary work computer."

My brain does not like the fact that I'm adding a Ubuntu 11.10 install to our domain. I guess I get to support Linux now.

say no? escalate to your manager?

I mean I could say no to this with absolutely no hesistation and let them turn it into a Thing, and since I'm low enough level to not deal with Things, I wouldn't have a problem with this.

users don't get to declare what you support, only your manager or preferably the person in charge of your entire department should make that decision.

of course all this goes into the toilet if it's your boss who's bringing in their own machine but that seems unrealistic since I gotta figure anyone who is in charge can get themselves a decent company machine and understands how to get around the necessity to bind it to the domain.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

blackmanjew posted:

A verbal ticket came in:

Ticket closed with this non-verbal resolution:

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

blackmanjew posted:

Hahahaha no.

Folks have tried this, and I've laughed them out of my cube. Unless, of course, they want to turn it over and it becomes company property. And it would still get wiped. Nobody has yet to take me up on it though.

blackmanjew posted:

My boss and myself have a rule about Linux. You can run it, but we sure as hell aren't going to support it -- unless it's a server.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Wonder_Bread posted:

My boss and myself have a rule about Linux. You can run it, but we sure as hell aren't going to support it -- unless it's a server.

...and unless we built it.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I thought there was a thread for small IT questions but I can't find it.

I work at a doctors office and we were looking to switch to electronic medical records. Does anybody have any experience with Wolf medical? http://www.wolfmedical.com/

The current program we use has a lot to be desired and the support is basically non existent. I'd like to avoid having terrible support issues.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism
Hoping for some YOTJ-related advice from you fine folks.

I currently work as a mid-level linux sysadmin for a pretty well-known software company in the MA high-tech belt that has a reputation for being a great place to work. I really like it there, though the pay isn't amazing (salaried $63k/year, with standard benefits). I really enjoy the work and the people I work with. I put in a fair amount of (unpaid) overtime, and we have an informal on-call arrangement (if something breaks and you're available, get online and fix it - if you're not available, you're not available). Stuff doesn't break all that often, so the informal arrangement works out okay.

Recently, a friend of mine has been trying to get me to join the company he's been at, which is another well-known company (they're not a tech company, but their business does require a high-end tech infrastructure). He assured me it'd be at least $100k/year with benefits, so I decided "what the hell" and went in for the interview. They offered me the job before I left the interview room, and agreed to $50/hour (~$100k/year) without hesitation.

The new position would be moving from operations to infrastructure - instead of maintaining the day-to-day linux server stuff, I'd be on the team doing large-scale datacenter planning and build-outs. It's a junior role in the infra group, so they don't expect me to have much infra-specific knowledge. No on-call, that would be handled by the ops group that's there.

There's a catch with this new position: it's a "permanent contract". Since this company isn't a tech company, they contract a staffing firm for their tech folks. The staffing firm would be my employer, and I'd be a W2 employee with health benefits and I'd be eligible for them to match 401k contributions after I've been there for a year.

I've personally talked to a few of the people that work there, and they all assure me that it's a good arrangement and that they're treated well. Every six months, your contract is up for renewal, and assuming your job performance is satisfactory, your contract is automatically renewed without you needing to do anything.

Since I'd be a contractor, I'd lose the paid vacation (~3 weeks / year) I get at my current job, but I'd be paid for any and all overtime that I'd put in, at my standard pay rate.

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from someone who has gone down this road.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nitrogen posted:

...and unless we built it.

And you can't have root on it.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

mllaneza posted:

And you can't have root on it.

That reminds me of a good one we got recently.

Give a developer sudo access on a Solaris box we'd set up for them. Developer manages to wipe out all of /usr/bin/local with said sudo access, removing the 'sudo' executable entirely.

Ticket came in: "Can I please have root access on $solaris-box"?

(No. No, you can't)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

juggalol posted:

Since I'd be a contractor, I'd lose the paid vacation (~3 weeks / year) I get at my current job, but I'd be paid for any and all overtime that I'd put in, at my standard pay rate.

Don't discount things like this when deciding on whether to take a job. It sounds like a good gig, but make sure you'll be able to take a reasonable amount of time off per year, even if it's unpaid.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Telex posted:

say no? escalate to your manager?

I mean I could say no to this with absolutely no hesistation and let them turn it into a Thing, and since I'm low enough level to not deal with Things, I wouldn't have a problem with this.

users don't get to declare what you support, only your manager or preferably the person in charge of your entire department should make that decision.

of course all this goes into the toilet if it's your boss who's bringing in their own machine but that seems unrealistic since I gotta figure anyone who is in charge can get themselves a decent company machine and understands how to get around the necessity to bind it to the domain.

I forgot to add this verbal ticket came in from the guy who signs my checks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

juggalol posted:

That reminds me of a good one we got recently.

Give a developer sudo access on a Solaris box we'd set up for them. Developer manages to wipe out all of /usr/bin/local with said sudo access, removing the 'sudo' executable entirely.

Ticket came in: "Can I please have root access on $solaris-box"?

(No. No, you can't)

A contractor working for $FORMER_EMPLOYER called me for my ssh passphrase so he could do something to the DNS instance on AWS. I left them a copy of the key as a courtesy, and knowing they a) could get the passphrase with a phone call in an emergency, and b) I set the DNS server up with the root key enabled because I'm really good about business continuity.

Turns out the root access they had full control over, and plenty of documentation about, was sufficient. The big question is, it had been almost two months. Why the gently caress did my account still exist on an infrastructure machine ?

edit: ^^^ Yep, you support Linux now. If he'll also sign the PO for the $300 management utility to get it into the domain. Do it right or don't do it, check-signer or not.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
My manager has decided to take some much needed leave. Sucks because she's awesome.

Anyway that's not the problem. The problem is that the daytime Team Lead is taking 2 of the next 3 weeks off. That leaves me (and one other person) in charge. Since I take care of personnel issues more than the other guy (who fixes so much poo poo we want to clone him), I'll seem like the one in charge over the next few weeks.

It's going to be a scary couple of weeks I tell you that. Luckily it's over the Christmas holidays, and if I need help I have other leads who will be more than happy to assist me. Still... :twisted:

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Our old ticketing system used to let users assign priority levels to tickets. Anytime someone had problems with email we'd inevitably get a level 1 ticket. Level 1 means "oh poo poo the company is going to go out of business if this doesn't get fixed now, the server room is literally on fire, my hair is literally on fire. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh."

With the new ticketing system we turned that poo poo off.

That's not the worst of it. I support over 200k users, and that's not the worst of it (as most of them will choose medium priority as their either competant or lazy).

No, the worst ones are tickets created by other resolving agencies, dumped into the helpdesk bin, then set as URGENT priority. For something as menial as a password reset, or something that could take months to solve that's not a high priority, to something that's quite a menial task (unable to connect to VPN due to corrupted software or some poo poo)

Luckily we have a "best practices" for writing tickets. I contact the guy, give them poo poo, then lower their ticket to "low" priority, and tell them "if this priority changes, I'll contact your manager and tell them how you're abusing your privileges".

Not a single modified ticket after that.

Lum posted:

But would you rather eat that cheese or have to look after a Lexmark printer?

Oh god. Do I have to choose now? Can I kill the maggots before I eat the cheese?

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Our old ticketing system used to let users assign priority levels to tickets. Anytime someone had problems with email we'd inevitably get a level 1 ticket. Level 1 means "oh poo poo the company is going to go out of business if this doesn't get fixed now, the server room is literally on fire, my hair is literally on fire. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh."

With the new ticketing system we turned that poo poo off.

Level 2 is the computer is on fire
Level 1 is the user is on fire

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Level 1 is the computer is on fire
Level 2 is the user is on fire

You had the Human Resources version in your post originally.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Level 1 is the server is on fire

Users on Fire is lunch time.

I think that settles that. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Level 1 is the sales department discovering fire