Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
Most our production stuff is named after Greek gods. My primary domain controller is named Uranus.

It never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

blackmanjew posted:

"Please add my personal laptop to the domain as it will be my primary work computer."

Hahahaha no.

Folks have tried this, and I've laughed them out of my cube. Unless, of course, they want to turn it over and it becomes company property. And it would still get wiped. Nobody has yet to take me up on it though.

blackmanjew posted:

My brain does not like the fact that I'm adding a Ubuntu 11.10 install to our domain. I guess I get to support Linux now.

My boss and myself have a rule about Linux. You can run it, but we sure as hell aren't going to support it -- unless it's a server.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Factory Factory posted:

This brings up an AD question for me. The answer may be "read more books, you lazy goon," which I'd accept.

My server has been behaving well lately (skipped the Dell fakeRAID and just running the drives AHCI to softRAID, not a problem in sight), so I started a Domain and joined my laptop and desktop to it.

Desktop is BrideOfDesktop (aside: naming scheme went Desktop, ElectricBoogaloo, DeskHarder)
Laptop is DrinkPad
Server is running the Factory domain

Even though I've joined both client PCs to the Domain, I've apparently got three user accounts running: BrideOfDesktop\Factory, DrinkPad\Factory, and Factory\Factory. They all have the same password, and when I access fileshares, DrinkPad\Factory (for example) will decrypt files and inherit permissions as if it were Factory\Factory. But it's very clearly a different account, as when I log onto either client machine as Factory\Factory, I'm presented with a fresh desktop, which is a royal pain.

So, the question is: Can I easily migrate the local accounts to Domain accounts with local profiles?

BrideOfDesktop\Factory and DrinkPad\Factory are local computer accounts, which can do whatever they have permissions to do on the local machine. Factory\Factory is your domain account. All three are essentially completely unrelated. AFAIK you can't migrate a local account to a domain account, but I've never looked into it.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Galler posted:

So many tickets came in. HQ upgraded the Notes servers (:suicide:) from 8.5.2 to 8.5.3 this weekend. Apparently this upgrade caused all of the notes clients to start downloading a new design template along with whatever emails got sent over the weekend. Somewhere around 500 clients all starting up within a half hour of each other. Oh and our WAN is made up of two T1 lines. Also the caching system wasn't setup right so every client was trying to get its own copy. Also also we're in the middle of swapping out most our printers as we have a new support contract. Also also also a bunch of new hires in about every department except IT.

Welp. At least we don't have any quotas or anything and my boss is (generally) all about quality over quantity.

gently caress me. We use Notes and were considering upgrading to 8.5.3 so we could use Notes Traveler on Android 4.0... but now I'm reconsidering. Though we are only eighty users...

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Galler posted:

If it wasn't for our janky-rear end setup*, all the other poo poo going on, and being severely understaffed we wouldn't have even noticed anything abnormal was going on. Any oddities would have been filed under the 'I dunno, it's notes' section. However everything came together to be a nice big cluster gently caress until the caching system got unfucked.

*Seriously our part of the company has ~1,000 users and handles hundreds of millions of dollars a year and our connection to the outside world is a handful of T1 lines and a couple ISDN lines. We're supposed to be getting a 50 or 100mbit fiber connection soon(tm) but with the way things go around here who knows. As an added bonus all the T1 lines and ISDN lines cost so loving much that upgrading to fiber will be an almost insignificant increase in cost.

Well, it's my boss and myself that would be handling it, and I know jack-poo poo about Domino servers besides "it loving sucks". Since we're looking to escape to Exchange later this year, I have a feeling we're going to say gently caress it.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

spog posted:

I genuinely do not understand why this is.

BBs are sold as business machines. They will never be as trendy as iPhones, or as geek-friendly as Androids, but they fit nicely into the profitable 'business' market sector.

So why is the essential Enterprise software so crap? Instead of pissing around with stupid tablets or new updated handsets, why not spend a much smaller amount on getting a rock solid backend? It's not bloody rocket science.

If I touch my BES, it crashes my Lotus Domino server. Literally, if I launch the manager and touch anything, Domino crashes.

I haven't been able to figure out if I hate the BES or Lotus Notes more.

e: I write this, and then the Domino server crashes twice in a row out of nowhere. gently caress this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Building Management posted:

Please be advised that all electrical power (lights, plugs, etc.) to the north side of {BUILDING} will need to be shutdown this Saturday, April 14th for 1.5 hours to complete an electrical service requirement. The shutdown is scheduled to begin at 7:00 am and will be turned back on by 8:30 am.

Thanks for the two days notice! I didn't have anything important or any commitments for this Saturday morning. How is this even remotely acceptable?

e: this includes my entire server room.