Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
We just signed up for a managed print service that includes printers, maintenance AND toners.

It's like a huge, 60Kg MFP has been lifted from my shoulders. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Crowley posted:

We had a user throw her wireless mouse out with the rest of her trash. She didn't notice it was missing until next morning. :eng99:

:lol: I can just imagine her throughout the day; "I swear that I used to do something with this hand when I was at my desk."

Also, YOTJ sucks. I just got canned. :(

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

KillHour posted:

Where do you live? There are a couple goons looking to hire in this thread.

I'm in the UK, but moving to Nova Scotia, Canada in 6 months so I doubt i'll do more than contract work for now.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Crowley posted:

No, it's not the data. It's just something that happens. You may just be busy, or on the toilet, or playing Counter Strike when people call. Viewed from upper management things are only true if you can put them on a pie chart. You don't have to convince your manager that you're working - they already know. You have to help your manager tell his/her boss that you aren't just slacking off.

..or you just have a dick for a boss, that happens too I suppose.

For me, it was mainly having a dick for a boss.

When you have 1000+ people to support, across 10 different sites, and there are only 2 people on support plus your dickless, idiot Manager, things can get busy, but they're manageable.

Then I get put up on disciplinary because I didn't get a document to him on time when the second guy was off for a week and oh look the calls didn't miraculously halve i'm just doing double the work and don't have time for things like eating lunch or taking a poo poo let alone writing up a technical document on how to write SQL queries for your dumb, fat rear end oh my god just kill me now :suicide:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Holistic? In that case, just say something like; "In order to facilitate a olistic approach to the direction of the IT systems here at <company name>, we're going to forgo giving the Directors iPads and instead use that money to upgrade all of the ten year old desktops that people are still using in headquarters"

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

coyo7e posted:

Yeah I agree. ALso there should be a way to prevent people from setting a specific printer as default, if there was a setting on the server or AD or GPO.. :(

Just have a login script that sets a B&W printer to their default, then they have to go through the trouble of changing it every single day. I bet they get tired of doing it before the script does. :v:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Woohoo! Got my first job interview after emigrating to Canada, with a software company in Halifax. Already went through the telephone interview and did alright, will need to see how the actual thing goes.

It's been almost two months since i've seen a ticket. What're the odds on me breaking down and crying when my first one comes in?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Migishu posted:

Except that, at least for my company, Canadian users are some of the most restricted users for no goddamn reason whatsoever (and this is a global 500 company so...) so 80% of our tickets from Canadian users are for users who are pissed off for legitimate reasons that we can't help them with.

Gimme some of that honey whiskey now...

Stop it, you're scaring me! :ohdear:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Computer no longer needs password :psyduck:

I had a guy come up to me and complain about this, says that it just comes right up when he turns it on so I went over and had him show me. While he was telling me the problem all over again, the login screen came up and he typed his password without missing a beat, watched it load and then turned to me and said "There, just like that!"

I walked away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
YOTJ, just in time before the year ends. :v:

I start as an IT Administrator for a managed IT company on Monday. Here's hoping that Canadian jobs are better than British ones!

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

FISHMANPET posted:

Because my domain sucks right now, Windows 7 doesn't work on it. Which I learned after I setup some Windows 7 machines. So someone complained, and I offered to install XP, and I did, and now he emailed me and said "Why is my computer Windows XP?"

Is it Windows 7 on a 2003 Domain? UAC hell, you have my goondolences. :smith:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Brut posted:

Well, after fixing roofs, moving desks, electrical wiring, fixing the coffeemaker and whatever else breaks, the natural progression is to start having us fix people too.

"I didn't do anything, I just came in and he was there bleeding to death with a knife in his chest. Can you fix him? There's a super important presentation in 10 minutes!"

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

spankmeister posted:

Umm excuse me it's Computer Custodian thank you very much. :colbert:

Computer Sanitation Engineer. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Maniaman posted:

So, I got the printer set up for the client. Took way longer than it should have. To set up the printer's IP address and network settings you have to have a username and password. This username/password is not printed anywhere on the device. It is not specified in the manuals. All the relevant searches for it on google bring up spam sites. (Speaking of which, does anyone else think Google's search quality has taken a nosedive lately?) Finally found the password drawn in a very small diagram that you almost need a magnifying glass to see in the japanese version of the manual. Said diagram was not in the english version of the manual.

Thank you Kyocera!

High five, Kyocera buddy. I always had this problem too, especially with their MFp devices.

It should be written in the English manual as well, but like you said it's in a stupid diagram on some random page when it's talking about changing the IP.