Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

You can choose to have them not come with bloatware during purchase, you know. That will get rid of 80 or 90 percent of it.

Can't figure out how to make Dell Backup and Recovery go away, though.. I uninstalled it from the last several laptops and it still pops up in the taskbar.

I am reading through this entire thread and am about a month behind now! I have been reading since April of this year, man it has been a fun ride. The Dell backup stuff puts crap in the RunOnce and Run in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

I recently had to de-crap about 8 Vostros and that stuff drove me mad til I found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
A ticket came in...

I finished this thread! I started back in March to April timeframe and read it all. And honestly I have to thank you all for the amount of amazing information found in this thread about not only working but how to maneuver through people and ask for what you are worth.

When I graduated college in Computer Enginneering, I really didn't want a normal engineering job, and spent all of my time since High School is IT positions to make money, but found that I really enjoyed solving those problems. But I graduated right around the budget-pocolypse and no one, engineering or otherwise was hiring. I got a job as a patent examiner, and after a year of that I realized why they have a 50% attrition rate. It was not creative or interesting and I wasn't solving problems. Then I decided after I moved back home to run my own computer repair business. It was all desktop support and very very basic server crap. I went from no income to doing alright. But after reading this thread I realized that I wasn't doing anything fun or interesting and I didn't want to be a 35 year old doing desktop support with a neckbeard and a wasted degree. So I YOTJ'd this June into a good gig at a small IT firm where I am "Level 2" which means I handle everything like everyone else but I get to install server racks and configure Server 2008R2 stuff for deployment. I have learned more there in 4 weeks than I have in any other job just because of the variation and complexity of our clients. I love it. And I want to thank you goons for showing me the way to early liver disease.

On topic:

Right after the hurricane I had no power or internet at my place. I get a voicemail from a company down the road that they would like stuff set back up before Monday (this is Sunday morning). As I am bored, and sweaty, I don't mind going out and getting poo poo going because if I don't do it now, I'll do it on Monday with everything else that exploded over the weekend. I get most everything up and running except the old file server. There are 3 servers, 1 is the new DC, 1 is a Virtual machine server, and 1 is ?. I remember that one of these machines is useless so I assume ? is useless and go looking on the Vserver. It has an image of the fileserver, oh this must be it! Hit go on the VM, it loads up and BAM!, BSOD. No matter what I do, BSOD. I look in our Autotask DB. Nothing about the old fileserver. So I am making GBS threads a brick, I think I hosed it all up. I call my boss and he gets back to me and says "oh yea, I tried virtualizing it, but that image was bad and always BSOD'd, the box you want is "?"." He walks me through reconnecting the network correctly and getting stuff up in our remote software. Turns out the ? was the file server but they unplugged all the network cables and ? was on a special vlan locked to that port because it has previously been hacked (under a previous IT company) and after cleaning they locked it down to an internal vlan just so no one could get to it from the outside. +1 for adrenaline -1 for client notes. I am working on that one albeit slowly.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
A ticket came in...

Dude who does lots of production work (Final Cut Pro etc.) has a massive amount of work on 1 external USB WD HD. The connector gets wiggly and one day doesn't mount. So we get a hold of it and I finally get to sit down with it. Find out the USB connector finally snapped off but not before corrupting the poo poo out of the drive. Messes up the partition to the point where Disk Util wants to initialize it and TestDisk just says :staredog:. He says to me over the phone "I think we are going about this a very dangerous way.It should just mount up. The connector was getting wiggly and then one day it just wouldn't mount. Its just a connector, I don't get it. This is all my work on this one drive."

He has a Mac Pro with 4TB of storage. With like 2 TB free. And now I wait for the permission to buy DiskWarrior.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Moey posted:

You know what you have right here? A perfect user to make an example of on how important backing up data is.

Indeed, I used to have a pretty good example, but this one will definitely get loaded into the "sell redundancy" shotgun.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Real quick warning: a lot of the wd drives are encrypted by default, and it's done in hardware with a key stored on the enclosure's controller board. We've had good luck soldering a temporary usb connector and pulling the data

Really? Well I might just grab my soldering gun then. And take a shot.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Update to the user who kept one copybon a WD USB Drive.

After inspecting the solder pads, 2 of the traces are fully torn up, just leaving the substrate on the board and nothing to solder to. So, gently caress.

I think we will be called WD on Monday to see if we can get a replacement board (I looked up the serial # and it is one of the "full encryption" drives) or if they are willing to take the drive and copy the data for us for a fee I am sure.

Either way, my client is going to get a stern talking to about how to properly backup their poo poo. Oh yea, did I mention there is a NAS just sitting on the network with lots of storage. :ughh:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

Authorized data recovery companies like drivesavers will have the hardware necesary to do the recovery if it comes to that.

Well that is good to know, I look forward to giving my client that quote. :munch:

And thank you for the information. I doubt anyone else in the office has encountered this kind of situation before.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Telex posted:

well, someone was talking about this earlier in the week...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/technology/workers-own-cellphones-and-ipads-find-a-role-at-the-office.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

and honestly, gently caress a bunch of this poo poo for real, forever.

sigh.

Article posted:

"Kraft’s program is not quite companywide, however. Executives who handle confidential information, people who use laptops to operate production equipment, and most factory workers are ineligible. “It’s a relatively small part of the company,” Mr. Cunningham. “But it addresses the majority of the noise and complaining.”"

So, the people who don't do any real work, but bitch the most about it, are satiated by this bullshit.

"But I want to bring my malware infested non-domained piece of poo poo in, AND WHERE ARE MY FILES! the Z: drive should be there, why isn't it there FFUUUUUU..."

Yea, gently caress a bunch of that.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

HalloKitty posted:

Oh god Mac/AD integration

The most common problem I have with them is that they suddenly decide they don't want to be bound to AD, and for no discernable reason (and of course no meaningful error), they won't authenticate, and like to be unbound, then re-bound to AD!

This is using ADmitMac, who knows how good it is, but really, we were advised that built in AD integration is worse (although if it was me, I'd try that first to save money..)
Whether there's any truth to that, I don't know.

I work on a sizable group of Macs in a AD environment with OS 10.6 and the AD works pretty well. I have never had one magically disjoin from a domain. But on the other hand, 10.7 is a clusterfuck and broke lots of old enterprise software that had barely been updated since 10.4 thanks to dropping of Rosetta. So, mixed bag. I am trying to get through the Apple white paper on using Macs in an AD environment to fully understand how bad the implementation is at that location.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

angrytech posted:

Righteous. What part of the country do you live in?

He's is in New York and surrounding environs. So hopefully with the IT goons and the YOTJ Thread he should be able to find something not completely as lovely as his previous job.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Like laundry or drinking

Or drinking laundry... money.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

I doubt a ticket came in. I love following bank holidays. Chilling at home.

Ours is "banks and schools". And like 2 school systems are closed and the rest are open because of the hurricane. Whelp! Here I am.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
A ticket came in:

Someone needs an email from a guy's account who hasn't been there in a year. The account is already gone from the DC/Exchange servers, but he has an .ost file in his profile on the target system. I played with mounting it (which I now know is not something that works). Does anyone know a way to get the mail out of that file sans using some BS $30 OST to PST converter that looks like it will give me tons of malware?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

I don't think recommending IPAs to someone who just said they don't like bitter drinks is the best idea. I recommend Magic Hat #9 if you want something light and Rogue Dead Guy Ale if you want something heavier. I've never met anyone who didn't like both.

Magic Hat #9 is quite drat tasty if you want a "lighter" beer. Or my seasonal favorite if you aren't:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Partycat posted:

Basically drowned myself in that at a brewfest a couple of years ago, since they're local and kept giving us more... it can be brutal I tell ya

Oh yea, last year April I found 3 that I had thought that I already drank (thus killing my stash). That morning was kinda blurry.

Oh yea and the email issue?

We apparently don't delete stuff so there was a disconnected mailbox still sitting there a year after the guy left.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
This job would be great if it weren't for the users.

Have a client who goes apeshit when they don't see ticket updates. Looks like ticket updates aren't sending for certain things right now (Autotask) and so I have gotten 2 calls in the last 30 mins to update them on the tickets that are in the queue. Here is the kicker:

She EMAILS the tickets in, and once we put them in, she gets an email that they are in the system. Autotask has a client portal where you put tickets in, and we get them. She even can look at these tickets and what has been done to them. But no, I have to loving look into this poo poo because she is too stupid and lazy to make the tickets herself and look at the website so that she can know the freaking work being done. We have pointed out that the website is much easier than waiting for us.

To the scotch.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

You need to discipline the person who is transcribing these messages from email to ticket system. When a user emails you a ticket you just go

"Hello, this is BlahBlah with blahblahblah's Technical Support. Unfortunately due to accountability and transparency reasons, we are not able to accept user help requests via email. To file a ticket regarding your request please visit douchebagsunlimited.com. "

ezpz

If you need to get management on your side just arrange for a few tickets to be filtered out as span and then cite that as the reason for the no emails policy.

This is truth, I can fully comprehend and thank you for making it clear how retarded this poo poo is. Need to start working on that kind of stuff in the future.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

devmd01 posted:

They didn't have the 16yo, settled for the Glenlivet 15. Delicious!

Is that the 15 yr old French Oak Reserve? Tasty as hell. That and Highland Park 12 are my gotos.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
So I have the rare opportunity to pick out a new chair for my workstation. I am at a lab bench which is at about in-between normal desk height and standing height. I was wondering if any other goons here would have a good recommendation for a chair that is comfy and can telescope up high enough for my desk. I can spend less than $500 bucks. And this should go without saying, my rear end will be there A LOT. Any recommendations?

Also, thank you all so much for talking about your jobs, its made my love affair with Highland Park 12 year a thing that I enjoy instead of worry about.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

whats that you say? renew your trend micro internet security license? no problem!

oh the product key is invalid? it says we need to download Internet Security Pro. OK!

oh it wants to uninstall the existing version first, then restart. well ok...

Wait, the product key doesnt work on this version either? what the f..

*reads fine print in renewal email asking to install the new version of Inter Security 2012*

repeat uninstall, restart, and then on hey! whats this? MalwareBytes is considered incompatible (read: better and cheaper than trend micro at) and has to be uninstalled? yeah alright....what? restart? AGAIN?

your password is wrong, cant activate. reset password. (Why do you even need an account when you HAVE A loving PRODUCT KEY :ssj: )

Total time spent entering a new product key: 1 hour 10 minutes via logmein.

Still better than dealing with its retarded flagging of Sharepoint Shared Docs in Windows Explorer as an issue and hanging on opening it and slowing everything to a crawl.

Oh you want me to put a global whitelist in, sure alright. Oh, I need to add it manually to ofscan.ini because the whitelist won't add http://server/penus through the web console and I have to do it by IP... that's cool sure whatever.

Oh, when you filter it down to the client systems you write bullshit into the registry entry after the name so the client program doesn't register that a whilelist has been written and when I manually add it to the client machine, you kill it every hour when you pull that stuff down from the server? Well thanks, I think I will go drink.

In the newer versions the shared docs thing has been fixed, the whilelist thing hasn't, so if I need to whitelist an internal server, I kinda can't. :suicide:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

HalloKitty posted:

Ashamed as I may be, I absolutely agree. Me too.

Although the guy who pointed out the side with the visible plastic through the holes is the side down on the motherboard helped prevent some of this, even if it's an obvious visual cue, I guess it didn't click before it was pointed out.

But depending on the manufacturer, it can be oriented inside the case differently, especially for laptops.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

The <User> is the one who sent in the ticket.

I love this women to death because she's just the sweetest little old thing ever, but I can't wait for her to retire in a couple months.

E: And this thread was on the second page? What's going on?

All too drunk to type. Or everything exploded.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

It was the weekend, and Skyrim came out :v:

Oh, right, funny because I put in like 10 hours this weekend as well, yet forgot that as a reason why we might not be on the forums.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Crowley posted:

Easy solution: Get a Mac.

:(

Remember, Xboxes are on sale!

Or do what I do, have a nice 13" MBP and a inexpensive gaming rig that hauls rear end.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

Sweet sweet potluck day. Eating great food while getting praised for my sweet potatoes.

I got a free subway meal and I bought some Highland Park 12 year for the 3pm booze and TF2 time, on the day before I have all Thanksgiving week off (my Vacation time M-W but still). Its a good day.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
Got a $500 bonus, a nice dinner with lots of drinks at a Melting Pot (Chain Fondue place in the US) and a 120 GB SSD for my workstation. It has been a pretty good 6 months on the job. Wouldn't mind more food but, what the hell, I have a job that after most days I don't want to open a vein so I'm just gonna count myself lucky as hell.

Edit: Also Tribes: Ascend Beta after work fun!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

rolleyes posted:

The day I got given a company laptop with an SSD was a good day - although the rest of the specs were very similar or only slight improvements over my previous machine, just having the SSD made it feel orders of magnitude faster at just about anything. In short, that's a pretty decent christmas 'present' in terms of relieved frustrations / waiting times.

We shall see, its a new SanDisk and I'm used to Intel/Crucial models. At least it isn't an OCZ. But I am highly optimistic as my co-worker already got it set up and its been running like a champ.

mobn posted:

Melting Pot is so loving expensive, and my wife wants to do NYE there. You're a lucky duck eating there for free.

Oh yea, I have been the wallet on a romantic engagement. It was good, but definitely a once a year hit to the wallet.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
This Friday before Christmas just got a whole lot more interesting.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

Please tell me there was a note on your desk that said "Here is your supplies, you have 30 seconds to consume this alcohol and prepare yourself with the provided weapons before the enemies arrive."

Something to that effect. 2nd in command got them for all of us. Tickets have slowed to basically zero... and this. I also learned how to get 2-3 in the chamber at a time.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
Im just here about to play some Tribes: Ascend Beta and drinking. Good day!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

ruro posted:

The new disc Nerf guns are the best. The one you have doubled the number of cubicles I can reach!

Not to mention the fact that you can bounce disks into offices, and around corners! SNEAK ATTACK!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

luminalflux posted:

I've got a good support deal on this so HP sends me a new disk and I send them the old. And if i'm putting in the effort to take a cab to our colo I might as well have a disk with me.

Problem is getting past the phone tree gauntlet and convincing the day support that yes, we are covered so send me a new disk. Also, I'm on the other side of the country so I'm having to convince other sysadmins in the same office (but different company) to call HP and run out to the datacenter.

One thing that kills me is that Dell has a "new" (new to us because drives die later than earlier) warranty with certain levels of RAID servers (the ones with SATA drives) that do not cover the SATA drives inside it, even though they do cover SAS drives. So if a SATA drive dies in RAID array they get to be all :smug: and go "Sorry you have to buy a new drive unless you also bought the SATA warranty along with the server!"

Go gently caress yourself Dell.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
Where is this magical land of macs only?

Take me with you.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
Nice, in the US and probably my next move will be to Oregon from the East Coast.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

Sorry guys, I was a few pages behind this weekend :unsmith:

ptier, the Year of the Job is almost over! Get one before you move out here!

I already YOTJed back in June where I am. I a planning the next move to be sometime in the next 3 years after I get debt free and GTD the hell out of myself. I'm learning lots where I am and did you not see the booze and nerf a couple of pages back?

I already have played the "gently caress it, I'ma just go and see what happens" game before. It does not end well.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sounder posted:

The length of time that XP will remain in the workplace is depressing.

But not quite as depressing as knowing that some software, in 2012, still doesn't support Vista/7 or IE versions newer than 6.

When I worked at the USPTO as a Patent Examiner, it was XP SP3 and IE6. Why? Because every internal gov't website was written for IE 6 and god damned if they were going to spend the money to upgrade.

On a somewhat related note: It is loving horrible that I determine if my job is bearable or not depending on the level of access I have. Administrator or bust!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
.MOD files to "something to edit them" from an unknown canon camcoder. Also we don't do AV stuff in our contract for obvious reasons. I know they are just .mpg files but god drat, this is just :downs: all over it. Also we may actually just punt on this one.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug
How do you guys feel about sonicwalls? At first they seemed like a nice low cost alternative to Cisco with a much more user friendly interface, but there is the subscription fee, the barely out of beta firmware and the constant, "when we set it up it works, and now 3 months later I can't L2TP into it with RADIUS for some god drat reason and have to setup a local user". Is everything just poo poo forever?

I'm starting to push for my CCNA so I can start to move away from the Duplo of the router world.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

We used them and recommended them a lot at my old managed service job. I found them fairly easy to navigate and understand and aside from a really old model overheating once, we never had issues with them. Mind you, this is for small size businesses that I'm referencing.

Follow up. Are these the older metal boxes or the new TZ100 TZ100W boxes that are plastic and seem cheaper to put more in the market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

Do that, I hate Sonicwall. The subscription services can gently caress with traffic, badly. Support is a joke, they have no testing facilities to try to recreate issues, the phrase "traffic simulator" meant nothing to them, support techs I've been escalated to will tell me a default rule is causing my problems.

gently caress those guys, badly.

Yea. We were trying to setup an L2TP VPN server with Radius support so we can use domain creds for the VPN. It will not connect at all... ever with any Apple product (MacBook Pro, iPhone / iPad etc) and this is a design company sooooo... yea thats kind of a big deal. So we are on with support, we give them the version and we go through everything. The guy ends up going "well this is not a known issue, so we guess there is an issue with your settings" blah blah. As he is doing that I am searching the Apple community discussion forums and I find a page where they had the exact issue. Seems that Apple stuff won't do MS CHAP v1 but will do MS CHAP v2 and the Sonicwall's options for the primary auth protocol is connected to absolutly nothing as it defaults to CHAP v1 all the time and never tries v2. He won't believe me until I copy paste the link into the chat window. One hold later. "This is a known problem, we will get you the engineering release exactly like that guy had. Problem solved. :byewhore:"

Updates later fixed this. But VPN stuff just seems to always somehow be hosed up and broken until an update magic fixes it. I would rather pay up front and "own" whatever the gently caress it does.

EDIT: The CCNA is also so that I fully understand the layers to all this stuff, and to possibly YotJ v2 Job Harder at some far flung later date.