Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I work at a hospital like a lot of you guys. And we have this Doctor here who is just REALLY goofy. By goofy I mean like his walk, er...I should say waddle, almost seems to have it's own theme music to it. He's like 6'7 and just a hulking ogrish gigantor.

Nonetheless, this Dr. that we shall call Dr. X comes in to the Help Desk carrying something and since I was the new guy at the time, everyone ran off and I was stuck in his plain sight. This is what followed...

Me: Hi Dr. X, what can I help you with today?

Dr: Well, I have this laptop my dad gave me and I am trying to check out some database files and I can't open them because I have it on this hard drive. My last hard drive broke so I got another one from my dad and plugged it in. Now it doesn't work.

Me: Wait wait...Just show me what you have and we can go from there...

***Dr. hands me a REALLY OLD IBM laptop along with a USB External Floppy drive and a few floppy disks***

Me: This is a floppy drive and those are floppy disks.

Dr: Whatever. It doesn't work and I need to access the database.

Me: Show me what you normally do to get to these database files.

***Dr. stares at his laptop for a moment and then just looks at me***

Dr: I don't know where to plug the hard drive in to...

Me: ...

***I take a look at the laptop and it has no "visible" USB ports on it. It looks like a laptop that just came out when USB 1.0 was just becoming mainstream.***

Me: How did you check it before?

Dr: Well my old one just plugged in.

***At this point I realized there is NO point in me asking what or how he did anything on this junk. I took a look at the laptop like flipping it over all over the place and finally I find a little plastic cover that can be popped off with a flathead screwdriver and it was hiding a single USB 1.0 port behind it (along with some dried glue...)***

Dr: Did you just break something?

Me: No, I needed to get that little cover off and it looks like it was glued shut.

Dr: Oh, that fell off a while ago and I put it back on...

Me: Yeah...you need this to plug that "hard drive" (I just gave up on teaching him) into the computer.

Dr: Oh okay.

***We get the laptop hooked up and turned on and everything and then he opens the "database" which is just some poo poo written in Access***

Dr: See it's not working!!!

Me: What is it supposed to do? (I don't know poo poo about Access)

Dr: When I click this arrow it's supposed to....(I forgot what he says here because I could give two shits)

Me: Well this would have to be taken up with the person who created this database file for you. (We have separate people who do that.)

Dr: This database file is what was used before I got here.

Me: Well let me give you the number for *DATABASE CREATOR NAME GOES HERE* and they should be able to assist you.

***Dr looks at me and then proceeds to keep talking about the stupid database file and insisting I look at it and fix it***

Me: I'm sorry, I don't have the knowledge or the authority to fix that for you.

Dr: ....Well can you install this webcam software for me then? It says I can't do it because I don't have access.

Me: Sorry sir, I can't do that either as I am not allowed to install software that hasn't been verified by Security.

Dr: ...Thanks for your help.

***At this point the Dr leaves and I have a huge sigh of relief...so I thought***

To sum up the end result, he calls the Help Desk on like 20 different occasions trying to get someone to install his webcam software and finally someone recommended he request local admin rights on his PC (NOOOOOOOO~!). Of course since he's a Dr he got it. Now his computer (the one the hospital gives Doctors) is thrashed with "illegal" software and he complains about it constantly. As a result, his PC is extremely slow and everyone at the Help Desk could care less as he doesn't let us do jack poo poo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Swap_File posted:

The first time I saw that virus / piece of malware I seriously thought it was a joke.

Bugs eating the screen was just too awesome.
Isn't there that javascript thing that you can add to websites to do that anyway? I've never seen that virus haha. I'm sort of glad I haven't.

Doc Faustus posted:

The problem I have with "The System" is that while one is walking around with a clipboard, tickets properly submitted to the queue are not being worked on. Meanwhile, when people see you actively working for things to do, they will *find* things for you to do. In my experience trolling for tickets results in lots of tickets about computer fans that people just SWEAR are louder than they used to be, or people who want to know ("Since you're here anyway...") if you could make their 10 year old machine go faster.
I do something similar when it comes to tickets and people stopping you asking to do things. Just say that you aren't authorized to work on unrecorded tickets. Definitely not a lie considering you are only SUPPOSED to be working on computers that you are assigned to in most cases. And unrecorded issues that might have further issues in the future means that the customer will name-drop your rear end so quick and then you end up in your manager's office because the customer said you broke their poo poo.

Cizzo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 11, 2008

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

D13F00L posted:

To: Technical Services Server Team
Printer unable to print. Received partial ping.
Customer concerned.

Resolution:
Destination host unreachable.
Had user plug in network cord.

Printers are the biggest waste of time...if it's not on the network...stop calling me. I spend hours walking other support teams through trying to configure printers with network info and other settings, and they get all pissed off when I can't always help them.

Without being there, it's kind of hard, plus it's not really my job. I make a best effort in these cases, but drat.
I do this all the time because I'm lazy.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

quote:

I CANT SIGN ANY REPORTS HELP!
What...the...gently caress?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

potato of destiny posted:

We're on Meditech, which has a module that's called (creatively enough) "EMR".

I don't support it directly, but I'm more or less the designated computer janitor for my location (the company I work for runs a regional chain of hospitals). So most of the actual Meditech stuff gets broken and destroyed by the trained monkeys we laughably refer to as a clinical applications team (I kid) (sort of), and I deal with stuff that actually needs an onsite pair of hands.

Holy moly are you in Florida?!

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Cyberdud posted:

For all aspiring IT people, this is the part you need the master ASAP. Learning to fix and manage those 5 minute requests before they overwhelm you and halt all progress you are making on other things. This and the walk-ins, i love the walk-ins.

Unbelievable truth this man speaks. Every single word of it.

I honestly do believe though that every single annoying or difficult customer you get, the easier everything else gets along with the fact that you appreciate the "stupid" calls more.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Sounds like typical cable modem behavior. When my users try to connect from home a lot of them don't have routers, just a cable modem. So they swap the ethernet cable over from their home PC to the company-issued laptop and call us when it doesn't work. 80% of the time a 2 minute powercycle of the cable modem works. Sometimes you have to reset it. Sometimes even all that doesn't work. Since cable modems will refuse connection to another MAC address if you just swap out, sometimes you have to call the ISP and tell 'em to scrub the MAC address cache on the account so you can get something done.

This.

Just have them unplug the cable modem and plug it back in like the man says.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
"HELP I JUST PUT A NEW PRINTER IN AND NOW MY PRINTER DOES NOT PRINT"

Turns out that they actually just meant that they put a new toner cartridge in and they forgot to pull out that little plastic strip.

I was really relieved when it ended up being only a toner cartridge though because the printers require static IPs and I hate it when they just grab a printer from another location and bring it to their location and just plug things where they fit.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Intrepid00 posted:

Different subnet?

Yeah. Almost each department as their own subnet. And since they're mostly used as network printers, we have to give them static IPs.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Casao posted:

We had an HP Laser Scanner/Printer/Fax/Copier thing all in one that gave me no end of trouble. Not a home model either, the real 4" tall networked office poo poo. Luckily, it was a lease or something and came with contracted service so if turning it on and off didn't work, I could ignore it and let someone else do it.

Do that in a hospital and doctors will ride your rear end out the main entrance.

EDIT:
I should say in the particular hospital I work at since I can't speak for all hospitals.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Intrepid00 posted:

Do you not just use DCHP reservations so that when an iditot user does move it to a diffrent subnet you can easily still access it's admin panel and easily assing it a new static ip?

I mean, you will still need go in and fix it in DHCP but would end the annoyance of not being able to access the admin becasue it's ip is on another subnet, not allowing you fix this issue.

Edit: You could also switch to DNS if the printer will update dynamic DNS records.

Well not all the ports are active on the switch. Almost all of them have physical connections to nearby communications closets but we keep them deactivated unless we know it's in use. In which case we activate the port. The reason we have it like that is because we don't want random people strolling in and plugging their laptop into a jack and gaining access to our network.

I mean, with the proper security measures, that shouldn't be too big an issue but one extra step to prevent that kind of stuff helps.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

cr0y posted:

A couple things that piss me off to no end.

1) When someone from work will call me and I am away from my phone, they leave a voice mail message saying "hey call me back when you get this". Oh thanks, If it wasn't for your informative voice mail I might have thought that you called me on accident and indeed don't actually have to talk to me.

1a) When people leave me a voice mail with no information what so ever except for "hey, i have a problem, call me back, urgent, thanks".

2) When idiot employees piss and moan about being forced to have passwords other than "12345" and "abcde". No, bitch, I won't make your password easy to remember, it is the only thing that I require of you, I have to remember about 50 of them. Deal with it.

I hate it when Doctors moan about how they have to remember their passwords and that it expires all at the same time. Well that's what happens when 30 days goes by. And how do you think I feel? I have to remember my passwords for every single program I use and you don't see me forgetting mine.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Zemyla posted:

Ask if they'd rather have Microsoft snooping through their files instead. :tinfoil:

Let me guess, their argument is "hackers on TV do it all the time", right?

Angelina Jolie did it, what stops any average joe from doing it?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

CrazyDutchie posted:

Don't do this, it will only get you in bigger troubles. By making everything work, everyone will think she is doing a great job and people will wonder why you are needed. Best thing to do is to let her do everything and make sure that when poo poo hits the fan everything points at her.
This should be hung on every wall for IT. If someone gives you poo poo, you indirectly get that poo poo pointed at them and voila. They get fired, you win.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
The fact that you are issued a company phone to be contacted in these types of "emergencies" makes me feel like there is no god.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
Is this guy serious? He's asking you to do like a forensic investigation on blog spammers? HAH!

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Puck42 posted:

Pretty much, he just clarified his request "I am looking for repetitive entries from a particular source"

I don't think he understands how HTTP and web servers work. I really should just send him the logs of every IP that has connected.

All this for a total of about 20 comments posted.

So regulars that frequent your blog and interact with the blog are potential spammers. I would send him the logs of every IP and then bask in the smugness.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Hawzy posted:

This guy is in the IT Dept of a State Agency, god help us all. I kind of cut off the top, but he CC'd 3 more people in the topmost e-mail.

Its in e-mail format, start at the bottom!

People that use technical terminology in all the wrong places are the worst people to work with.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

haljordan posted:

I've lost count of how many people can't seem to locate the address bar in Internet Explorer. Every single one of them just types the URL into a search bar somewhere.

Oh god this!

My day is usually fine until I have someone type a website address in to the address bar. Then when I say "colon" to have them type a ":" they get quiet. Then I know they aren't sure and I have to dumb it down to "the two dots stacked".

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Lum posted:

Luckily I'm not a transplant recipient, I just have severe long-term eczema.

This actually makes it worse as most people think of it as just a bit of annoying dry skin, and a childhood disease. They don't get that on some days I am unable to walk properly because straightening my legs tears the skin open on the back of my knees. A milder form of that is how I managed to get septicaemia in the first place.

That sounds awful. My roommate has it on his hands and he has to have bandages with him like all day.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
Tier 1 = Where you learn to drink like a fish just to make it to the next day without blowing your brains out.

You can't make any decisions, you can't say anything, you just follow the guidelines and if you feel like you're being mistreated; you're fired.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
Gnarly I initially felt terrible that you had to put up with all that garbage but I guess it's not so bad now considering they are hinting some sort of compensation.

This thread always makes me feel good that I just deal with people who suck at reading comprehension and don't understand the meaning of "invalid password entered".

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Deviant posted:

Do you work with Rain Man?

Or Russell Crowe from A Beautiful Mind.

EDIT:
I hate how some Server Admins will get all big-headed and take their sweet time to resolve an clear server issue. During the time the server admins take their sweet time playing with their buckyballs, the help desk suffers call after call of raged individuals demanding we fix it via our telepathic powers.

Tier 1 sucks.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I think we can all safely agree that once you work in technical support, your faith in humanity's ability to survive plummets at a radical rate.

Thus the reason why most IT folks end up drinking.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

CraigK posted:

No, I'm comparing what they'll do to my bank account if I eat them twice a week.

Besides, nowadays I just buy a big bag of breast tenderloins and throw a few in the microwave and put them on a bun when I want a chicken sandwich.

This has to be the best series of off topic posts and I'm adding to it.

The act of microwaving any meats makes me puke in my mouth.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
Why is it that when you tell someone over the phone to look at the top-left corner of their screen they immediately look to the bottom-right or just the right side of their screen?

Do people just panic when they call technical support? Drives me crazy when I ask them to click on "View" on their IE8 menu bar and instead get a reply stating that the only thing they see is "computers flashing" and "the time".

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

enotnert posted:

*sigh* these loving people. . . They're math people and can't understand simple logic as it applies to humans.

That's because they're not "techno-geeks" like us.

And yes, that is the phrase I get called all the time when I explain to them that Google is not their internet service provider.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

couldcareless posted:

It actually could be

The likelihood of the user base I support actually having this is even more ridiculous than The Last Samurai being Tom Cruise.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm surprised he only complained that he lost that much. Most of the time, when people get all huffy about their e-mail being down, they tend to make up ridiculous sums: "I missed 4 e-mails while you were down, each of those was a $30,000 sale!"

This only applies when doing help desk for a company that has a big hand in the real estate industry.

Real estate agents are about as big-headed as doctors and about as narrow-minded.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Shadowknight posted:

That's... wow. I guess she's trying to jump into your old bosses position?

Unrelated note, I had a question. You mentioned awhile ago that you had both a Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. Is there a reason for that; is the Pro better for learning OSX and troubleshooting, or did you want a second machine that's for carrying around? I'm looking to get into Macs for learning purposes, and was split between the Air and Pro.

Most likely because one is way heavier than the other in terms of "carrying around" weight. Some may say that the MBP isn't that heavy but try using an MBA in its place and you'll notice.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I feel like IT is much like a deal with the devil. You sometimes get to do what you want to do but you must pay for it each time you do so. So prepare to pay for your passion of IT in some way or another. Some take up drinking, some eat, some watch animes, and others...well...there's them.

Good luck!

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So a user has been complaining about how her computer can't keep up with her workload (STOP STREAMING MUSIC!!) to the point where we got her a new one.

Time comes to get her new comp and after about 5 hours of migrating her pop3 folders to imap (6 gigs of email) she just starts crying. Bawling, really.
She's not even the one moving all those loving folders, and doesn't even HAVE her computer yet.

She explains that she can't bare to part with her old computer and starts having a panic attack about "having to re-learn everything on a computer"

It's still windows and she's getting the same MS Office 2010 that she's always had.
I assume this is some sort of mental illness similar to people on "Hoarders: buried alive."
Note: she's one of my best users, has 0 toolbars, no extraneous programs, and 6 files on her desktop so I don't think it's specifically a hoarding issue. :iiam:

I have had older women do this to me all the time. It's more of current frustrations and potential frustrations that kind of build up over time and they just blow up. Everyone deals with their stuff differently and some people just cry. I just take it for what it is and just make sure they're happy with whatever after I'm done fixing/changing things.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Migishu posted:

Speaking of layoffs... a mass firing came in...

Long story short, our company got bought by another company and now they're closing us down.

Soooo... kinda need a YOTJ in Montreal if anyone has...

I'm super ignorant when it comes to geography but I believe Ubisoft Toronto was opening a TON of new jobs this month. I would check there if Toronto is anywhere close to Montreal? Maybe?

edit: It looks like they also have jobs in Montreal. And it's not all game design stuff!

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-US/careers/search_for_jobs.aspx

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Nerdrock posted:

President / CEO of the company called today, freaking out. He has an iPhone 4s. Apparently, Siri was "speaking everything on the screen all the time" , and he apparently couldn't even operate the phone to get into the options to turn this thing off. He'd never done anything to activate this sort of behavior, and was convinced a it was a hardware issue and needed a replacement immediately. He had already called Verizon and they had no idea what his problem was.

Come to find out, in the Accessibility settings, you can make it so 3 presses of the Home button activates "Voice Over", a system that makes the phone usable by the blind. Pressing buttons on the screen no longer works, and you have to swipe on the screen to move a highlight to whatever UI element you need to interact with, and double-tap to activate.

Now that i've discovered this "feature" , you bet your rear end i'm going to sneak up on some friends with iPhones and enable this setting the next time they leave their device on the bar when they travel to the bathroom.

Isn't there also an option in iOS where it will strobe the flash on the phone whenever there's a notification you haven't seen (text message, whatever)?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

AlexDeGruven posted:

On the one hand, he's a bitch for the way he tried to get attention for his issue.

On the other hand, it definitely is not ok that a laptop is overheating while suspended. I've left mine suspended for days at a time with no issues.

I think that's different than leaving it like that in a briefcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I always dreaded when a person from like Singapore or Thailand would call because they have the most difficult names to pronounce.

It was always a relief when they would hear me second guess the pronunciation and they would jump in and say "Call me Phil"