Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Dyscrasia posted:

I get that daily. But instead its over the phone. They say "Oh yea, I am getting an error, it says error: 'blah blah blah'". Then of course, I have to say "So, that part where you said 'blah blah blah', what does it say?"

That's really an issue with every computer user in the world, they'll happily acknowledge that there was an error message but none of them actually read or try to understand the message.

"yeah i got a message, i dont know what it said".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
:butt: 5/3 - "Users email takes about 1 minute to open a mail"

:hitler: *ignores it, have more urgent things to do*

:butt: 13/3 - "can you speed this up?"

:hitler: Calls user, gets his password after a long time of "uhm... now what was it again.. i've only used it once, my computer's always on".. Password doesn't work, calls :butt: and ask him, gets password like user gave me but with "-" and UPPER lower -case, still doesn't work.

:hitler: Resets users password, remotes into computer. Hmm.. Antivirus hasn't updated since february, runs liveupdate, system says "not enough space on harddrive".
start, run, cmd, dir. 250 671 104 byte free.(that's less than 250mb free on c:).
Hmm.. start, run, cmd, systeminfo
code:
O/s version:           5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
Installationdate:  2003-12-30, 13:35:33
Uptime:            116 days, 3 hours, 18 minuts, 32 seconds
512mb ram
Client is a printer business, they've got three large heidelberg/komori printers worth like $5 million each, this single computer supplies color profiles for the printers, without it the printers will have to set colors manually which takes "forever".

Computer is an IBM p4 2ghz something, 52mb ram, 20gb hdd divided into two partitions, one hardly used, one with a 6gb windows-xp folder. Looking around i found that his Temporary Internet Files and the windows\$uninstallsp2\ folders were both larger than the free space on the harddrive.

Looking at the reported problem, "emails taking 1 minute to open" revealed that it was only emails with attachments that were slow to open, i guess it's symantec antivirus that checks them. I didn't get much longer into my investigation before the client kicked me out. Called him up and told him to reboot the computer.

I just cannot understand how anyone can put business-critical programs on a client computer, requiring it to be on 24/7 instead of on a server that's
1) More powerful, this program wouldn't even make a dent in the server's hardware
2) Online 24/7, running on UPS and built to be online 24/7
3) Has a backup each night.

i want to bite whoever set this poo poo up four years ago

ps this is the same business that has one of their salespeople using an old IBM R40 or something like that (undockable), 1ghz celeron with 1 gig ram. Originally came with xp home, some previous manager bought it as a private computer and then took it with him to the company.
Laptop first showed up in our records back in 2005 and was then called "xx's old computer", was reinstalled and upgraded memory for a salesman. The current user is the 3rd or 4th owner and he alone sold more than $100k in one week last year, that was a record for this company, still he cannot get a usable computer.
He's also the only one of the salesforce who brings his computer everywhere, requiring him to unplug three usb, one vga and one _paralell printer port_ cable each time he leaves the office.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

NANERPUSS posted:

Sounds like the guy who is in charge of buying computers is a smart man who wants poo poo that works great and is reliable.
(talking about T60s)

Yeah no poo poo, i've got one at home that was run over by a car. LCD is cracked and not working, vga-out @ 1680x1050 3gb ram works great and that's why it's going to be my next bsd-server. If i can only duct-tape it under my desk then all the negative things about these laptops are gone (ugly & iconspacing etc).

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Smoke posted:

Built-in tazer to prevent them loving with it. Then again, they'd just unplug it, run down the batteries or find another way to break it.

Click here for the full 772x566 image.

The best way would be to eliminate the users alltogether, the same bot could help with that.

Last friday one of our users called and said they'd be pulling the power in five minutes, if that was ok with us. Somehow they'd "forgotten" to tell us about this planned upgrade of the elecrical equipment.

we told them no. eventhough calling at 14:00 friday afternoon the day before the swedish nationalday (which ment we only worked to 13:00) would be an excellent point for them to see just how important their ups-upgrade was.. good luck getting the ad to start after a sudden loss of power, aswell as the exchange database and their filemaker db.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

angelfoodcakez posted:

I look at the IP sending the emails... loving Nigeria. That was loving elaborate. IP relay phone chat? drat.
Glad you caught it.

A year ago a british person (dont want to sound like an rear end, but he sounded african) called us and asked if we sold IBM/Lenovo parts, he wanted to buy "cpus", then "computers" and later asked me for our fax-number. I'm in a scandinavian country and i was quite surprised why he'd call us instead of a british company.

I learned something that day though, my spoken english is just as bad as my written and if someone calls again and asks if i speak english my response should be "eeh.. noe i is not"..

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

People don't realize they're saving files there until it's too late. They download a file with "open" rather than "save as", or double-click something in their email client, or whatever, and it opens from the temp directory. They work on it for a while, and trust that because they hit "save" regularly, it's safe and sound. They never even see that it's in a directory called "temp".

(Also, you're still on 9x? God help you)
Some people use smartcards to unlock / identify, why not do something similar with usb-drives?
Sure you'll eventually spread viruses by moving media between computers unless you have them setup to just restore a ghost everytime someone logs on, and you'll have users who drop/lose their cards but have the files encrypted and add some sort of function to backup the information at each logon (4gb, or even 1 would be enough for most users and that doesn't take long to move to a network backup-station?)

**edit

what i mean is that you *NEED* your usbdrive to unlock or login to the computer, and when you do that drive is also set to default save for everything.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

ab0z posted:

:byodood:...did I need my computer?
haha

well those drat wireless-switches, why not put them somewhere more obscure, like under the battery or inside the plastic casing of the monitor? Had a customer call a month ago because there was something wrong with the wireless network at home. He couldn't connect to it and when he came to the office he couldn't connect to the one there either.
Turns out he'd accidently flipped that switch, he didn't even know it was there.
Right now i'm working on a Lenovo X200 which has only a fn-f5-function for on/off, no slider button.

HPs do it better with a large button on top of the keyboard.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

ior posted:

You sure about that? I have a X200 and it has a slider button on the left hand side.
I didn't see it there, thanks for telling me before i delivered the machine and made myself look silly :)

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Customer needs new computer for home use. Only thing customer wants is XP and it "has" to have a built-in 3g-adapter.

Boss sells him a "cheap" lenovo, R500. Because it says it's "wlan-prepared".

oh wait what? no sim-card reader, not even a slot for it? no 3g-card in it? well we'll just order another lenovo, a T500 this time. But let's not get the one that's already wired with a 3g-adapter, let's get one that is "prepared for wwan".

T500 comes in today with a loose 3g-card next to it, i open the laptop and prepare to screw in the 3g-card. Except there's no wires for the antenna/power to the card and there's also no sim-card reader. Excellent.

Just look at the instructions, how the f'ck is this complete instructions on how to hook up the 3g-adapter, the sim-card holder and the antenna for a T500? http://lenovo.com/support/wwanready/

(the previous T500 we sold had a 3g-adapter that crashed a few months later, the laptop refused to boot because "unauthorized wan adapter detected", couldn't even get into bios. Lenovo support said it was ok for me to unscrew the broken adapter from behind the keyboard)..

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Crowley posted:

I don't need all that poo poo. How abut just showing me the drat files?
How about hiding file extensions? Or have "Date modified" and "type" before the Size-column? While we're at it, we'll just make it stupid impossible to doubleclick between the column-headers to size them for content without hitting the V and accidently switching to the Sort menu.

And why would anyone want to use the History-arrow in the "navigationfield" to actually see where you are and just go up a step in the folder tree instead of magically show you the last fifteen loving urls you typed in IE?

Breadcrumbs makes me puke

Let's also fill the filesystem with stupid symlinks that makes c:\users\dick\photos point to c:\documents and settings\dick\my documents\my photos\ so you can't copy the filetree if you're not using a vista-aware program? This "our users are retarded, let's make it easier for them" breaks everything for me, i've been using computers since hitler was alive and i don't need helpful hints and guides and poo poo, i need a working filesystem.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

underlig posted:

And why would anyone want to use the History-arrow in the "navigationfield" to actually see where you are and just go up a step in the folder tree instead of magically show you the last fifteen loving urls you typed in IE?
I just learned how to click on all the small arrows in the navigationfield.. by upgrading total commander to 7.50 and seeing that feature there. i'm such a clown, i had no idea it worked like that in vista. *smacks myself*...

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Midelne posted:

• Unnecessary CC to demonstrate power and glory to authority figure.
  • He is apparently unable to create a standard network login.
I get this all the time, except i _never_ never never never EVER get a "thanks" or "good work" or anything like that.
Last week i even got a couple of "hey you put this job as completed and charged it for 30 minutes, is it completed? how about this other completed job, is it completed? Oh and about this third job, you've set it as completed but is it completed?".

He then went on bitching how i only charged for 30 minutes (i upgraded Symantec Endpoint Protection (both manager and client-files which are deployed automatically), which takes less than 10 minutes to actually do if you've ever done it before. also the biggest customer we have has like 20 workstations so it's not like i have to watch 10.000 installations).

We charge $62 /30 minutes for our work. He thought i should have charged an hour or more since "if you spend $3000 to learn a certain program you have to be able to be able to charge the customers for your competense, even if it just takes 30 minutes the fifteenth time you do it". Since i started here 2½ years ago there has been ZERO money spent on education and/or equipment for us. There has been no spending on money on our office at all.

Whatever we learn we learn by googling, reading "install.pdf" or just guessing. Trial & error is our motto.

So far this year i've raked in $41.000 to our company. He's made us $22.000. That's because he can spend 1½ hour installing a HP 1022n lowgrade network printer on three computers.
Last year i made him close to $50.000, at a total cost for him (employmenttaxes, healthcare, pensions and stuff like that) of _$0_. I was employed through the unemployment agency in my Country of boobsandsex (Sweden).

i wish i could be as big an rear end in a top hat as my boss, i'd get all the girls.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

It was great when you were a bit stressed, under the weather etc and a dog walks up its great!
They should make it great danes only, who wouldn't like to sit next to one of these
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/funny-dog-pictures-bigger-couch.jpg

Also i must be insane because after this slow week of nothing i wish i had a bunch of stupid tickets like yours to keep me doing *something*..

(my vote for Rod is also an old cop with a moustache. I also think he has a pair of shoes where the left one makes a squeeky noice when he walks but he's too cheap to buy a new pair).

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit2: What the gently caress. Some lady just sent around pictures of her newborn. Turns out, she owns a loving horse and the pictures were a word document ad for "Buy my horses semen for $1000!"
Considering your nick, it might be something you'd be interested in?

I wrote a mega post yesterday about my migration of an auditing-firm to a real server, which i had to do myself while one coworker was in egypt, one was at home and my Rod were god knows where. Deleted it instead of posting, i just get so negative when thinking of work..

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

The way I make it is Doctor, Jager, and Goldschlager evenly mixed into a pint glass. No ice.
who is this doctor you speak of?

my own hell right now is the owner of a company we support. he's bought another company for his kid, a small shop that prints stuff on tshirts to people who walk in from the street.

shop was purchased with a box of cables, two computers, one 19" lcd and a couple of keyboards. one large hp-printer for iron-on-printing, one small plotter and a larger one for cutting out stuff from plastic film. my "rod" was there, looked over the equipment and decided to sell them a new lenovo workstation, with windows 7.
he had seen that there was one usb and one lpt-dongle for software that was apparently licensed, but he didn't really see the point in buying a workstation that actually had a lpt-port.

the other two computers are infected with every type of spyware, trojan, virus and torrented copies of office 2007 that doesn't work.

client doesn't know anything about computers, his dad doesn't like it when i say "we can't use this", he just wants me to hook everything up and make it work, even though it's impossible. oh and most of the equipment doesn't have drivers for windows 7.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
I wear jeans and tshirts and stuff, no one's complained yet. i even cut myself a rather crooked mohawk and no one said anything, not even when i started growing my derka-derka beard. i guess that's one good thing about this place.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I've only been at this place for a little over year, but I definitely check all the websites daily for my escape and keep my online resume updated.
my worst nightmare right now is how i in x years look back at this place and think "hey that place was great, i wish i had stayed".. if we had more liberal gunlaws here i'd probably off myself instead.

we're a small it-consultant company with three employes and the boss. the boss is "old" and knows almost nothing about computers. he's been alone here with my friend for 10 years, my friend is a (computer) genious and by now he's fed up with this place. he's thinking of moving to thailand or something and becoming a diving instructor.

four years ago his father started working here for the same crappy salery as me, and he also is considering quitting. he's got a sweet gig in china lined up instead.

and then there's me, been here 2½ years and i hate it here. once my friend quits this place is going to go down the drain fast, i can probably handle 40% of the stuff he's done previously, but beeing alone here with any computer knowledge at all is going to be pure hell.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

owner_of_IT-Consultant_company posted:

Make a new folder (foldername) under shared, Person1, person2, person3 should have access to read, write and add. noone else should have access to it. in this folder they will have an excel file for inventory.
actually doing this yourself would have taken half the time you spent on writing this retarded ticket. fucker.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
I just got asked to put the CEO's old computer in the payroll-ladys room so it can be used as an "email-computer".

my boss actually gave me this ticket and when i asked why the gently caress, he said "i'm not sure what they want to use it for.. maybe it should be reimaged first so there's no sensitive information on it (oh really?)".
the CEO has no idea what the computer is supposed to be used for, nor does the person in charge of technical stuff on that company, since this discussion has been completely between my boss and the ceo.

this is the same company that left the old payroll computer out for anyone to bring home, not bothering with even removing the harddrive which contained several years of backups from old transactions, complete lists of all employees etc etc.

they don't really pay me enough to fix all this stuff, but i'm ultimatly the retard who lets poo poo like this continue

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Best part of trying to fix the clock: Winding the dial like crazy and having it trigger a whole bunch of bird calls that all stacked and played on top of one another. Sounded like a goddamn aviary in my office.
Haven't you heard?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

how'd it feel to fix something like a clock instead of stupid computer problems?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Julianus posted:

And then, one day, you find a huge pile of Office 97/XP/Works Suite and wish you hadn't. My boss insists on keeping them, "just in case". Why the gently caress would I ever need to install Office 97 ? WHY ?

Also : found floppy install for Win 95, I'm 23 and felt like a WWII veteran.

"Hey this old 2000-computer is supposed to be moved out to the production floor, it doesn't need anything but word and excel, so remove everything else"

6 months later: "hey you remember that old 2000-computer? it really needs outlook now". and no you can't add components with a office 97 cd, office on this computer was installed with an office 97 UPGRADE cd. Good luck finding one of those muhahaha..

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Netware 3? Why the need for such newfangled software when you could score this trifecta from my storage room? :eng99:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

that's a 10-user package of 3.5"s, weighs a ton.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Client wants a vpn-tunnel to some sort of machine in the neighboring country, my smug boss sells them a ZyXEL ZyWALL 5 firewall, since it's got vpn-functionality. (massive overkill)

The machine is some sort of retarded block of uselessness that cannot handle DHCP, i've spent some time configuring the firewall to be able to just hand it over to the client, they plug it in and the machine and everything should work.

So my boss talks the to client while the client is installing the zywall, nothing works like it's supposed and then he hands me the phone instead.

Apparently the machine is set up on a 192.168 ip right now, i've set the same scope for the lan-interface in the zywall, built a vpn to our office so the firewall shouldn't block anything, right?.

I've also set up the port forward in the NAT settings but nothing works! I can't ping anything on the other end of the firewall, the isp says nothing's blocked on their end and even when disabling the firewall-port in the zywall i get _nothing_

i know we had told him to use the wrong gateway, but that's fixed right now, still no traffic. (i told him over the phone that everything seems to work fine, since he could telnet to the machine when he was plugged into the same zywall, guess the gatewaysettings didn't matter right then).

The client gets pissed off because we charge a billion bucks for the zywall and still nothing works, and i get suicidal because i'm the one who's messed up.

to top it off, last week i had my first education/certification. I got to go because it was free, and it was for ZyXEL "Security"/"Firewalls". and even that i managed to screw up. also alcohol is very expensive and i hate the tast of it. i'm so screwed..

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
it feels just like the usg-firewalls when you haven't configured routing, the vpn builds but nothing goes through it, unfortunatly these zywalls are supposed to do all that stuff automagically. i've even compared everything with another client (also zywall) that works great.

clients local iprange is 192.168.23.x (60 to 100), machine has 192.168.230.60 set statically in the machine. vpn goes from 192.168.230.60 ->192.168.23.x

(the last resort is to just blame the customer, their stupid machine isn't set up correctly.)

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

IT Guy posted:

This profession could be so great but it's the ignorance of people you have to deal with everyday that really makes it awful.
When i press the "0"-key i get a * instead, and when i hit "L" i get a 3.

The person has had this laptop since 2006, how could anyone work four years with the same laptop without accidently activating numlock?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
user draws instructions / construction drawings for end users, using adobe freehand (8 or something). my boss sees this as the same thing as autocad or equally demanding on hardware so he sells a new thinkstation s-something, xeon cpu, 6 gigs of ram, win7x64 and one of those expensive nvidia professional graphicscards.

user gets new computer, turns out the clients old version of navision was end-of-support:ed in 2006 and will not run in w7 no matter what you try. So i install xp-mode for him, give it a real ip on the network since it cannot access the navision databaseserver through the host NAT or anything like that. user says "ok looks great" and that's the last i hear from him in two months.
then i get a "navision has never worked like it's supposed to, i cannot open embedded excel-files because i get a strange error that cannot be closed. printing does not work from navision. when i search for something i used to get navision to search as i type - that no longer works.".

1) "(Could not open instance of OLE-controller identified by GUID=(xxxxxxxxx) Unknown automation server. Unknown Class."
- Sure, retarded xpmode doesn't forward the document to the office on the w7-machine, xpmode needs a separate office installation.

2) - printers are forwarded like in rdp-sessions but that doesn't work at all with navision so i have to add each printer in xp too.

3) this is for you guys out there, can you guess why "find as you type" doesn't work? can you? huh?

any suggestions? and could you please tell me, who never use navision, why you, who use it 8 hours a day wouldn't know this?

second ticket:
[quote]
<users> computer drops to DOS-mode and hangs. A couple of times per day.
Got the information below in a mail from him.

C:\DOCUME~1\<user>\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0c24.dir00\Mini050510-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\<user>\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0c24.dir00\sysdata.xml
[quote]/boss
wtf am i supposed to do with the path to two crashfiles?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
** edit
you know what, i don't even need to explain this picture. i inherited the server, installed 114 updates yesterday. the rest of the log looks like this:

Click here for the full 1273x516 image.

(Maj 2010 = May 2010)

underlig fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 25, 2010

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

IT Guy posted:

My morning is ruined, how are you all doing?
got an email before i even drove from home this morning, clients navision database is "full". they're licensed for 65gig, current db is 7 and it's 6.99gb full of information.

apparently there's no need to use the "expand database"-option, so i had to
1) make backup of old fdb
2) shutdown and uninstall database service
3) create and start new service that isn't tied to the .fdb file
4) create new database larger than the old one
5) import backup to new database
6) wait (2+ hours right now) for navision to slooooooooowly rebuild indexes for each of teh one gazillion tables, with no progress indicator except for the current table
7) avoid client who expected all of this to take maybe 2 minutes to do since they're busy using their navision database.

i know absolutely nothing about navision, except that this version stopped beeing supported by Microsoft in 2006.

Excellence. now i know why i didn't want to get out of bed this morning.

oh and i haven't had lunch yet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

I feel dirty whenever I see something like that.

haha had a computer like that just last week and i'm ashamed of myself for saying "Hey, this one only has three toolbars"

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Symantec's workaround was to install an OLDER version of LiveUpdate first, then install SEP, which actually worked.
when i was on dialup i was told to download a 500mb copy of a newer version of McAfee-antivirus, install that and then uninstall. All this so i could remove the current version of mcafee that kept bsoding my win98 supercomputer.

sigh, computers.. i dont know why i even bother with them..

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
So one of our clients small business server 2003 bluescreened during saturday nights BackupExec's Exchange-backup.

BE says "The job failed with the following error: Access is denied."

BE logs say "'\\DC-PRIMARY\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (DC-PRIMARY)' is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify."

So that doesn't sound too good does it?

Eventlog gives me error 478 from ESE

quote:

Information Store (5452) The streaming page read from the file at offset 6772142080 (0x0000000193a6b000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch.

chkdsk: "Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode."

eseutil (verify integrity of exchange database): "Operation terminated with error -1206 (JET_errDatabaseCorrupted, Non database file or corrupted db) after 1542.31 seconds."

So i go check the backups, last successful exchange-backup was friday, last successful exchange-backup stored on tape was thursday one week ago. The tapedrive is broken somehow and my boss sold them a bunch of new tapes and a cleaningtape that didn't magically fix everything. we also delete two-day old backups from disk since we only have a total of 16gb free on the server.

Looks to be a fun week

i'm so tired of
a: Not know what the hell i'm doing, i know _nothing_ about exchange that i haven't just googled, and
b: Customers not wanting to spend money on their servers.
This is a 32bit server running everything they need to work, on two 146gig sas-drives in raid1 with 16gb free. It's running exchange, sql, their 12 year old Navision-service, ftp nobody uses, some sort of magic pri-service that is business critical and also fileshares, printershares and the "time clock".

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Joborgzorz posted:

I go into their "server room" which is also where all the sheet music is stored. I discover that the HP box they're running 2003 R2 on is completely powered off. I turn it on. I get the admin password and log in, and look at the logs to try and find out why it shut down. I see no shutdown events or anything, until I notice a bunch of events that are from 2001, which prompts me to check the system date and time. Yup. 12:16 January 1, 2001. Welp.

All I found out was that there was an unexpected shutdown at around 7am, but no more than that. Also the UPS is a piece of crap apparently (the IT guy told me this directly, and said he didn't have time to fix/replace it).

Also the backup jobs that were apparently scheduled for every Friday haven't run, ever. I plugged in the HP external drives and got a giant HP SmartSave (or some similar bullshit) pop-up.

To recap: lovely UPS, HP desktop, nonexistent backups, and one of these motherfuckers, which I have no clue what it was doing, but it was named Katie for some reason.

And I never did get the internet back up and running, but I think the ISP was at fault there. Is there anything I could have done better/differently as a rookie in this situation? And is there some sneaky poo poo 2003 tries to pull that might let me fix the problem if this happens again?
Looks like a fine first time, i'm surprised you had passwords for it and that you actually checked the logs.

I'd guess the ups couldn't shutdown the server correctly / didn't have time to do so, so at a small blackout the server stopped.

I've sometimes had problem with networking because the ipsec service wasn't running / had problems at startup.
What you could do is check ip and dns-settings (cmd, ipconfig /all), then ping local ip, gateway, dns, try pinging https://www.google.com or something similar. just to see where everything stops

also check if there's services that are set to automatically start but are not currently running.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

New issue: Wed Sept 08 13:47
Cannot receive email. Outlook does not start.
outlook.exe /resetnavpane

weird because it happend on three different computers, three different users on three different clients in two weeks. never seen it before, never seen it after.

I'm glad you're getting rid of your retard, mine's on vacation (probably the 9th week he's had this year). far away, still manages to bitch about emails we've received to our shared address. i'm not sure what i should do first, disable his phone in exchange or delete userinit.exe on his computer.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Upgraded clients SBS2003 to a new SBS2008 with more everything. Sadly NTFS is still there with it's limits, so their rather strange way of storing files had to be redone. (255char limit etc)

This means that shortcuts in each project-folder is pointing the wrong way.

Do any of you know of a tool to edit multiple shortcuts?

if all else fails i'll go vbs on it, there's a WshShell.CreateShortcut that can return current target (apparently), but.. jesus christ i don't want to let my script loose on a clientserver.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Lum posted:

mgf1i.gif
dude that's one of the best gifs i've seen in a long time.

**click* *drag* to the top and reads it again*

on another note, my last two weeks have been absolute hell. i've been swamped with work and my only coworker goes "hey, this job, is that finished? why not? can't you just do it now?" between chatting with his gf and reading his rss feeds.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
ah good ol' fsmgmt.msc

are you sure you have enough files open there? also, please note that it's forbidden to actually close all open files at the end of the day, it's not like we ever want to install updates on the server and reboot. i mean there can't be any *real* patches released the last 39 days, right?..

Click here for the full 376x738 image.

hp printer drivers, one of the snowflakes absolutely HAS to have one of those printers that cannot be installed without the magic cd of bloatness.

and even THAT is a bit much on a fresh w7

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
the web/ns-host we use for ourself and all our client-domains is down at the moment, has been for 30+ minutes.

my boss has been in a bad mood today, he talks with my colleague but hasn't said poo poo to me all day long.
so currently he's troubleshooting by sending emails to one of our clients, had he just asked me i would have told him that the nameservers are down.

** ninjaedit, he just told me emails were slow between us and the client :)
i told him about the dns-issues.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Jadus posted:

I don't know if I just got lucky, but I've got a 350 seat multi-site deployment of SEP 11 that has had zero issues. Still lovely at catching Fake AV stuff, but it hasn't caused any crashes or performance issues.
We have about 150 total SEP clients at all our customers, there's maybe 5 installations that has been really buggy / not working. Something like the firewall portion that blocks one of the functions in one of the lan-applications they use, but only on one of thirty computers.

...or when a network share was displayed with chinese characters, after refresh missing half the files but atleast showing them with normal latin characters and after the second refresh missing half the files and showing them with chinese characters.
RDP in worked fine for a few minutes then it refused to accept it.

Reinstallation of server, reconnecting clients, importing all emails into exchange again and everything worked fine. For two months. Then same problem again.
H/W issue? No, SEP.

Still haven't heard of anyone else having the same problem, we've removed the SEP client from all our SBS2008 servers now.

And god damnit why does half the Symantec setup.exe's work when you have it somewhere else than in c:\cd\ but the other half craps out and complains that it cannot find the exe?

Dick Trauma posted:

Email I received from the company President:
Hey Dick:
I can't send email from my iPad! Help!
Sent from my iPad
I got one saying
Subject: Can access Internet but mail hacked
Body: Email isn't working
I sent this email from my iphone (which is ofcourse connected to the exchange server that isn't working).

yeah.. i got that mail 10 minutes after i fixed the mailserver..

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
It's not possible to deny printing of certain filetypes on one of two printers is it?

We have a customer who insists on printing pdfs on his old HP LaserJet 1022, which causes the printspooler to crash each and every time.
I just received an email with the entire body in the subject-field, "suddenly there's no printer connected to my computer, can you check it. I want to be able to print to my local and the color printer downstairs..."

Apparently this is caused by the print driver that cannot handle something(was it direct/buffered printing?)

Someone suggested to change it each time in acrobat reader, but that's not going to work since he's done this every month and still does not remember not to print pdfs to his local printer.

.. or i could just say his printer is broken and sell him a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

peak debt posted:

Install the printer as a "HP Laserjet 6L" with the driver that comes with Windows.

Excellent tip, i shall try. Thank you