Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

xtothez posted:

pain

That story is going to make me fight to keep us from upgrading our Peachtree 2006, I was hoping products would improve over the years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

stubblyhead posted:

If I could ask, if you came into this job with no experience and were surrounded by such utter incompetence, how in the world did you manage to learn the right way to do things?

My guess would be google/self research and trial and error. I have very very little (2 yr, real world) experience, but can sit down and hack my way through something if I have never seen it before.

Sucks that some days I'll stay late to get poo poo done because I get pestered with helpdesks all day, but gaining firsthand experience is half the battle. The other half is understanding what you are doing, not just following some guide step by step.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I consider this thread a positive outlet. Well maybe not positive but I'm glad I can finally share some horror stories where they are appreciated and not lost on the vapid drooling faces of the hambeasts.

I still vent to my friends about this poo poo, none of them understand half the stuff I mention, but I think I get the point across.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

rscott posted:

NOD32 or ViPRE. From what I've seen NOD32 uses less system resources, but ViPRE was a little cheaper per seat when we looked to change.

Before MS Security Essentials, I would advise NOD32 to most home users.

We currently use Virpe here and its been pretty rock solid. Can push out the client to new machines easily, it will tell me what machines are not up to date on definitions, scan history, can schedule scans or force them...I have had no complaints yet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Farking Bastage posted:

The guys at ViPRE are sending me a trial set of licenses and an admin console to try out.

The admin console is real nice. You can easily tell what machine has protection/up to date. Last scan, schedule/fire up scans, install clients.

Has not made XP just boot cycle yet...cough.mcafee.cough.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

:suicide:

edit: pretty sure I moved half these people around less than 2 months ago...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

afflictionwisp posted:

How many cubes are between Brittany and Caitlin?

I made the executive decision (someone advised me to do this a few pages back) to let that manager know they are fine to shutdown their computers and move them on their own, and that I will gladly help plug things back in at new cubes if they cannot figure out that circle plugs go into circle holes, and rectangle plugs go into rectangle holes.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

enotnert posted:

This is why you do proper roaming profiles.

I was just talking about that with my coworker the other day, do you have any experience with them? Personal opinion?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Count Sacula posted:

An email came in:

A third violation will result in revoking your privileges to drive on site

I can only assume this means your company has to spring for a segway for you.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Count Sacula posted:

The funny thing is I have a golf cart. I want to ask them if I lose privileges to that too.

I put in my two weeks yesterday. F this place...

If any company gave me a golf cart, I would gladly be their whipping boy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

couldcareless posted:

PDF reader went missing from a live term server. Incoming calls...

I don't have too much experience with terminal servers, but I thought it needed to be in maintenance mode for things to be installed/uninstalled?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I'm just going to close this out without a response.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cock Democracy posted:

Maybe she's forgetting how to send an e-mail. I can see her opening word, typing out an e-mail, probably as brief and terrible as the one she sent you, then saving it to the desktop with the email address as the filename.

My coworker went to talk to her, her sent items folder was not sorted by date...

:ms:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
An response to my email came in...

Hi Moey

Sorry but can you please schedule a time next week to come over and make the moves? Thanks

Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:34 AM
To: Crabby Bitch
Subject: Moves
Hey Jenny,

Regarding the moves, we probably won’t have time to make those until next week.

What I can advise everyone can shut down their pc and disconnect the wires and move them on their own. This would save us a lot of time, and I could easily come over and re-connect their computers in the new cubes.

This would help us a lot, and allow them to move everything when they are ready.

Let me know if this works, or if you would like me to schedule a time for next week to come and make the moves.

Thanks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

stubblyhead posted:

You need to nip that in the bud right away, it is never OK to curse at your co-workers, especially when you need their help.

This. Probationary period or not, talk to your boss, my boss would either allow me to stand my ground and tell them I won't be talked to like that (politely), or he would go deal with them directly (unpolitely).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I told him to delete his browser cache.
Now every website loads equally slow. You're welcome.

:woop:

Great response!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tux Racer posted:

Apparently you can.

http://derekhat.com/install-vista-on-a-macbook-without-bootcamp/

This probably only works for Vista and 7 though since they have EFI support.

I was reading about that when the new Macbook Air came out. I think it makes a great netbook, but I don't like OSX. And I also dislike the price of it...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
FML. Just spent 90 minutes making those 6 moves. Realized half the people I had recently moved prior to this (2 months). My phone was bleeping the whole time (work emails and crap), I ignore it because I'm so pissed off and covered in dust because non of these girls have boyfriends/husbands that have let them know cleaning is always their duty.

So I get back to my desk....go figure a ticket came in.....

I think instead of wasting my time doing that, I'm going to try and find a guide on setting up roaming profiles and telling them all to :fuckoff:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Midelne posted:

Wait, what?

It was a poorly constructed joke about how no one bothers to clean their desks at all.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Naramyth posted:

Really? Because that read like casual sexism then backpedaling to me.

There was casual sexism in there, I assumed that part was understood. Never joke around to relieve some stress?

afflictionwisp posted:

These are cracking me up way more than they should. What do they think they are gaining? Did that at least come from a different person? Wait, what's supposed to happen to Whitney? :ohdear:

The ticket did come from a different department. And for Whitney, she will be gone soon from what I can tell from that ticket.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I closed this ticket earlier and walked over everything with you....

:eng99:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Midelne posted:

Ticket closed: User needs to offer printer more engaging reading material, recommend user submit George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Walked over there and had her show me what wasn't working, and magically everything did work.

She's only been here for like 2 weeks, and cute. I will allow this to continue.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

they become part of your personal collection :)

or boot&nuke >

format fat32 > then fill it to the brim by backing up something else
format ntfs > backup something until HD is full

repeat above until blue in the face.

DBAN no good anymore?

Hook them all up to 1 pc (with no real hdd attached), boot and have a drink.

http://www.dban.org/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Luke Johnson posted:

While you're in there steal the magnets. They're so fun.

Don't remember where I saw this posted...I may start collecting old hard drives from work for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yISqCAnROh8

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tux Racer posted:

How's the new job vs. the old job?

Seems similar to every other job...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

notwithoutmyanus posted:

hey, if they're hot, you should go for it. Don't assume that married means sexually unavailable, either. you can :smug: the poo poo out of that if done right, really.

Or getting drunk with one like 10 years older than waking up at their apartment...bad idea

I have been avoiding emails for weeks now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

sfwarlock posted:

... Computer doesn't work, out of the music dept.

This just made my day seem not so bad. Until another ticket comes in.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

couldcareless posted:

Sends another ticket in just now saying "Media player still not working, 2nd request"

What happens at the 3rd request? Is that strike 3 and his computer gets drop kicked?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Suniikaa posted:

http://www.ubnt.com/bullet maybe?

I'm really interested in how well that works, we have something similar to this setup here and it costed alot more than 39.99

http://www.dragonwaveinc.com/products-horizon-quantum.asp

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
First time I have seen this one...

Big wig guy with name on the wall at my work calls me directly (fine by me, your name is on my paychecks). His toner was empty and he replaced it, and now his printer is just blinking and he cant figure out anything else. A short walk between buildings in wind and flurries...I get to his office.

Anyone care to take a stab at the problem?

he never pulled the tab/strip dealy out on the new cartridge

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ted Stevens posted:

So far, everything's been pretty peachy.

You know you just jinxed yourself right?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bonzo posted:

At my last job a co-worker kept a toaster oven on his desk and would make chicken fingers for lunch every day.

The office manager finally made him stop. It was kinda cool but everyday? The guy was 38 years old.

Your co-worker rocks. Were they the dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

frogbert posted:

I'm going to be errecting my festivus pole on my desk as soon as I track down one with an adequate strength to weight ratio.

What a great episode

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Does anyone here know anything about VoIP phones? I need to find a super cheap pbx controller for the charity that we just donated 26 phones to.

Are you referring to something like trixbox?

http://fonality.com/trixbox/

I'm new to working with IP phones (like 8 months now) but have been interested in setting up something like that at home for some experience.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bardlebee posted:

So, I plug it into mine. Apparently it was a wireless keyboard device.

I had a friend who helped a professor with his "thumbdrive" that appeared to be dead...it was for his mouse.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Everytime someone gets upgraded from a 17" 4:3 to a 22-24" widescreen, a very similar ticket comes in. 1920x1080 makes everything too small for them, but they decide to first jack up the DPI and make things look 100x worse, then send a ticket.

I went through every resolution displayable with this girl and she complained about every one....fml

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

anthonypants posted:

Show her how to change it and close the ticket.

That's what I ended up doing. I still don't understand why a younger person (probably early/mid 20s) has a problem with 1920x1080 on a larger monitor. Trying to explain how it would benefit them in getting more things on the screen and how it's a lot more crisp looking was like convincing her pulling out your own hair is fun....I felt like pulling out my hair.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

angry armadillo posted:

Did you bin the 17" yet?

Just let her know it's still there and she will soon find a suitable resolution.

I have not heard from her since, but its tucked away in case this comes up again.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devmd01 posted:

Indianapolis. We got maybe 3". :rolleyes:

And that keeps people at home?

The Fool posted:

-40, second day in a row. At least people are showing up to work on time today.

Are you in Alaska?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
User sent a ticket asking me to burn some stuff to a cd that she tried to email home, but couldn't because it was too big. I assume its some PDFs or something. Nope, just 300mb of audio files....why would anyone try to email that...:commissar:

rscott posted:

My Christmas bonus was 5 crisp 100 dollar bills. :unsmith:

Mine was a check for $100, after taxes, $88...