Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
...so run around flailing your arms in the air screaming incoherently. At least that's what I do now, it's more productive.

One of our customers wants an external contact to have read-only access to files on a share we have. It's just a bunch of word documents and excel files. The ticket comes in with them requesting a VPN.

They don't need a VPN, I said to myself. Why, I'll just set up an FTP share on the server we already have. Let me get the boss's approval!

:colbert:: "We don't do FTP."
:v::Is it because of security? There's also SF...:colbert:: "WE DON'T DO FTP DROP IT"
:v::Ok...can I set them up a remote desktop connection through citrix or give them an RSA SecureID fob? I'll have to set them up an XP box in vmware, and it'll be a pain in the rear end for them since they won't necessarily be able to pull files out of it, plus it's more time consuming to set this up.
:colbert:: Sure. Charge them for the keyfob.

*fast forward to the conversation with the customer*
:frogsiren::What do you mean it's 200 dollars?! Is this what you do with the other vendors? Plus this isn't what we want at all. Can we get a VPN?
:v:: Hold on, let me check with our networking team, can I put you on hold?

*runs down the hall to talk with our networking guys*
:eng101:: We might be able to do a VP*their boss barges in*
:clint:: Hold on right there...we can't just set this up the customer can't just go around barking orders, they need to involve everyone in IT we should have 5000 meetings and this needs to take 2 years. Send the ticket back to the project manager.

Ok. Fine. Back to the customer.
:v:: Ok, I need to talk with the project manager....I'll call you back...
:frogsiren:: Why is this taking forever? *namedrops high director's name*
:v:: There's no technical barriers here preventing this, just no one's letting me do anything. I'll get back to you.

What. The. gently caress.
Seriously?
I LOVE MY JOB

Feel free to divulge the contents of your ticket queue to SH/SC so we can sit in a circle consoling you like parents to a child who just had their first period, or maybe mock you mercilessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

bob arctor posted:

Then you have the the completely schizoid user submitted ticket:

The person that I spoke with yesterday afternoon was a criminal, and
another one that I spoke to in the eveing was one too. These people
was asking me for personal information. The wanted to format my entire
computer. They wanted to put my computer in safe mode networking. My
computer has never been in safe mode networking. Networking with who!
I realize the person that I was speaking with didn't didn't know what
do. He had someone in the background giving him directions. My
computer is having problems with your internet service. You know what
the problems are and you need to fix these problems. My resume was
taking from the internet without my consent. I logged on and
you failed to protect me. Like I explained to you in several phone
calls. I received a message stating that other people are logged on to
my computer. I also told you that a virus was on my computer. The name
of that virus is call MSHTA.exe. Activity: The script is attempting to
call Reghead method with the IWSHSHELL30bjict file path: mshta.exe
status the script executive has been stoped. I got another message why
this happened error code: OX80072eff. Vendor need to take care of
what they did. I cannot do what is happening on my computer on my end.
Another that I notice. All the web addresses are missing. The message
that I get is searching the internet at fifteen times. Where did my
web addresses go. Who is taking this information inference to what
websites I visited. This is illegal and it is against the law.

Ahahaha. God I love it.

I used to work with a customer back when I worked the help desk. She'd call practically every night, and talk, and talk, and talk, but nothing important would ever come out of her mouth, she'd just keep contradicting herself, and go off on tangents about how her computer is a, "monitor" because it connects to a, "server", and we can't call it a computer because someone from IT told her that it's not a computer, but, you know, that really doesn't make sense to me, it's a dell, and it keeps locking up, like the other night I was logging in to do my transcriptions, my kid was screaming, and I had popcorn in the microwave. I used to have a wyse box, but now I have a dell. Wait, no, can you hang on? Sorry, it's an HP. I've rebooted. Sometimes the PC slows down, I try to reboot daily. Anyway, my computer is a monitor, and it keeps locking up. I've tried unplugging it. I don't want you to kill my session. I'll lose my work. The help desk killed my session once I lost 2 hours of work. I'm at a login screen. This happens all the time. I have roadrunner. I called roadrunner and I was on the phone with them for 2 hours. My internet isn't out, but it is a bit slow. I've rebooted the modem. It says linksys. Wait, maybe it's a router. Is that what they call it?
And on.
And on.
And on.

Wall of text, except on a phone.

It got to the point where I'd just interrupt her and be really terse, I got the calls down from sometimes an hour to 5 minutes.

On the topic of stupid tickets....
"User request to add server pass per Financial analisis. evrytime she trys to logon to the server it tell her that user doesnt exsist. If any questions about this this her cell phone xxx-xxxx"

WHAT?!?
What server? Who from the financial team? What application? What the gently caress?

ashgromnies posted:

OP, stop being a wimp and argue your position.

I don't bother. Some of our project managers sometimes just toss over projects without like actually getting information from the customers, breaking up the project\delegating tasks, or organizing things. I don't fight because even if I do fight for something, it'll be a waste of time since tasks like this become something totally different by the end.

One user logging in to check some excel files turned into 10 users. Excel files turned into multiple applications regarding patient registrations, RCS and other financial apps. I set them up with a terminal server and Citrix, our department ate the cost. Since no PM really coordinated this, the vendor ended up with several accounts on different systems that don't match at all, like GKORN2 on one system, GKORN3 on another, etc, as I'm not the only one touching this task.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
To: Technical Services Server Team
Printer unable to print. Received partial ping.
Customer concerned.

Resolution:
Destination host unreachable.
Had user plug in network cord.

Printers are the biggest waste of time...if it's not on the network...stop calling me. I spend hours walking other support teams through trying to configure printers with network info and other settings, and they get all pissed off when I can't always help them.

Without being there, it's kind of hard, plus it's not really my job. I make a best effort in these cases, but drat.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 21, 2008

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Here's one.

The other day, a doctor called. He was having trouble remoting into the docking bay of the laptop he took home.

Yeah.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

devmd01 posted:

I talk to users sometimes, but usually I can say no. :smug:

I'm bad at saying no.

I was assisting a user with a citrix issue, she called in the past and I told them there is a problem on their end with their print server or her pc. She couldn't print locally.

Well she called back a couple weeks later. I spent an hour on the phone with her. She couldn't print through citrix but could now print through notepad on her pc. I saw the job go through on our citrix server, but on her end something was eating it. I actually remoted her pc through techinline(kind of like webex), and watched what was happening.

The printer was network based, so I added a 2nd queue on her PC using the deskjet 500 driver and citrix printed.

I told her again there's a problem with the print driver on her print server, or pc, and I don't want to risk screwing anything up by removing and reinstalling the driver off their server or her pc.

She's OK with it as is now, she's working, but I really, really shouldn't be making changes in THEIR environment. They arn't on our network or affiliated, we just support one of our apps they use.

It's bitten me in the rear end once before, I hopped on a remote users server and attempted to reinstall a printer and hosed up their office. It took me 2 hours to fix, and I'm never going to touch someone else's equipment again at that level.

It kind of sucks. I work at a hospital, we do business with external small doctors offices for labwork, we have to keep them happy. If something is broken on their side, it's our problem, and we get calls from QA and business liaisons whenever something goes south at any office we're somewhat affiliated with.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 19, 2009

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
This thread is ironic because :clint: in the OP is hopefully going to become my new boss. Interviewed for a position a little while ago. :ohdear:

devmd01 posted:

Well I just finished up one that was sitting in my queue for 3 weeks thanks to me being on the road.

"New version of <lovely internal vb app> needs installed to XY machines in all locations"

- Previous version was 10mb for the installer package in its entirety.
- New version requires oracle 10.2...a 450mb folder.
- We have 130+ locations.
- Each location is on a T-1.

Thank God for Altiris.

Whoa, you guys have a package deployment system? I'm jealous.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Ugh.

Anyone else have random problems with VMWare\hardware? We keep consolidating more and more servers on fewer and fewer hosts, which means any VMWare or hardware issue that crops up is literally devastating.

Our x3950 is two units combined into one server, sometimes they disconnect, bringing down the host. :|

We just purchased a bunch of IBM HS22Vs, we'll be literally loading up each server with a ton of ram, and 40-50 guests, which to me seems overkill. Ram is really the biggest expense..I don't know why we don't spend a little more for a few extra blades to spread the load out. Not like we are running web servers. Mostly high impact SQL servers, Exchange, hl7 interface servers, etc.

Fortunately I might be getting out of my drat CJ job, into an AIX sysadmin position, where all the poo poo that happens won't be my problem.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 31, 2010

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

sfwarlock posted:

Printing in wrong place

Jesus christ.

We have people like that, but I ignore them after telling them the same thing a few times. Issues do escalate, and then they drop when our CIO comes and asks me for the impossible and I tell him the same drat thing. Can't really get any higher than that.

Usually people run out of energy, since by this point I'm like a black hole when it comes to caring, my lack of caring exceeds the threshold of caring of most people. It works out well. I'm still with the same company as I was in the OP, place has only gotten worse with politics and drama. :lol:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

Everything

Holy poo poo, out of curiosity, how many users did you support at that job?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Dick Trauma posted:

150 on-site, about 200 more off-site at 30+ locations.

Yikes, that's insane.

I was reading through your posts, seeing how you're like support and engineering for everything including phones and networking, installing stuff in racks, desktop support. I was like :psyduck:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

rscott posted:

Hm. Can they predict exactly when this will happen? I want an excuse to push the big red button in the data center and go home early ;)

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Unironically :clint: from the OP was let go some time time ago due to constantly cockblocking everything ever. He was a good guy though.

:frogsiren: retired a while back.

:v: :colbert: and :eng101: evaluated several products, and we settled on a suite of products highly recommended by Gartner.

The OP was literally one of the first requests of what would become hundreds as we formed business agreements with new companies to work on our data.

My new favorite type of ticket is where a users' desktop gets replaced with a Windows 7 PC and all their applications break because they aren't compatible with Windows 7 and we don't feel like paying costs for upgrades of software to newer versions. :sigh:

Heaven forbid we even talk about Windows 8. Legacy poo poo, HEY-OOOOO~

Edit: And as a server guy, I'll try to get their app working in a Citrix environment, or VmWare Thinstall, barring that, it'll to to another team where they use MED-V, VmWare VDI, Beyondtrust, etc. Sometimes I feel behind the times, because we have SO many options for deploying software, and I'm only knowledgeable on half of them.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Billy the Mountain posted:

You realize you are responsible for that now.

Ugh. This.
Must. Not. Be. helpful to anyone, ever. That's the secret.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

neckbeard posted:

You know it's bad when you see "Due to logistics and the presence of a dangerous animal (mountain lion) in the area, extreme caution is being taken. Fish and wildlife teams are engaged." and "Snow mobiles have been sourced to get access to site"

Add some helicopters and a sunset and we have a Michael Bay movie, drat!
Edit: Why is there no sniper icon for page 1215? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Everything I ever hear or see about SAP convinces me that it is completely poo poo software by any realistic metric, but due to the nature of entrenched ERP systems here we are.

We run SAP Business Objects integrated with several applications.
It's more or less somewhat fine as long as you don't look at it funny.

Doubly so for what our users and report writers and vendor written reports do to it. Poor server.
What, your report that's doing basically a select * for 2 years of data on a 5TB database and then filtering in the report is taking too long to run and you don't want to edit it?

Fine, we'll move everything to flash disk and add 4 more CPUs and do some database tweaks instead. :cry:

But it does have it's fair share of oddities and instabilities. Like, our security for BOE folders is all LDAP integrated.

One time a single user could not access any crystal reports in a folder, despite being in all the appropriate groups. After triple checking it, confirming in AD that she is in the group, confirming on ALL AD servers she's in the group, I said gently caress it this is not worth my time and just assigned her account to the folder directly.

And then there was the time some crystal reports were not uploading at all to update existing reports, after taking a real long time to time out. There's some option buried in Crystal to enable or disable formatting a report for printing that fixed it. It was a combination of that setting and one of the report writers using an older version of the software.

Whatever SAP. :rolleyes: