Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves
At least they gave the error code for this one :argh:

Printer won't print when I click on print. Error message pops up "Printer is out of paper for tray 2. Please load paper in tray 2. Printer will pause until paper is loaded" (or whatever the message is in Windows XP). PLEASE HELP !!!! URGENT!!!

Happens at least a couple times a year and I have to drive out to do this as we don't remote support users (calling or taking a phone call to troubleshoot and remote desktoping aren't allowed for the most retarded of reasons, but the MAC protected wireless router (thank God there is only one with this setup) is. :downs:

Sadly this isn't a joke or my users trying to be funny nor is it someone important wanting the job done for them, they just are that incompetent.

Usually takes place at a HP 4xxx LaserJet which is displaying a similar message on the LCD screen when they go to pick up their document, the paper is stored on a shelf right underneat the printers too.

In case it isn't obvious, I work for the government. :sigh:

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Spermy Smurf posted:

Hell, I'm just impressed Group Policy actually changed it for everyone. When I make a change like this I have to go around and manually change 1/3 of the PCs because Group Policy works like a state worker.

Are your users logging out / restarting their computers. Changes made to the user container only happen on login and changes made to the computer container only happen on restart. Something on your network sounds really screwed up, are DNS records okay?

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

delpheye posted:

Almost all of the time I can make a change and either the config gets re-read any time a particular service is accessed(samba) so there's nothing more to do, or I restart the server and the user never knows(everything else). Personally, I don't make any changes to user accounts because everyone here gets admin rights(sudo/root) on their workstations anyway. I manage accounts through an LDAP server, but that isn't anything like a GPO

It sounds to me especially with your example of SAMBA + LDAP that you deal more with file,folder / group permissions to resources and group organization, which more closely matches Windows Shares and AD. Think of Group Policy more as a means of wide control over the user / computer environment and experience. Examples would be assigning printers based upon group, turning on or off various windows features (sticky keys, standard desktops), remotely deploying software (better done through SCCM), adding favorites to their browsers (that they will never use), pointing them to your own Windows Update Server, blocking software from execution based on criteria (name, type, hash), and various other tasks and features too long to even list.

quote:

I need to send a file to COMPANY for the new SOFTWARE and i need to do it thru something called ftp & I am unable to (The file is too large for them to accept via regular e-mail) This needs to g ASAP

Why do you have a max attachment file size of 3MB on your incoming email in 2010? (Attachment wasn't even 3.5MB).

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 7, 2010

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

User was complaining that the internet was slow.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

No, I don't think that was caused by the switch upgrade we did last night.

How the hell? I often have tons of processes and tabs open but I have never even gotten that close. Was that person loading up tons of uncompressed 15+MP image dump sites?

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Heintron posted:

I hope they are joking...

I can't tell if you are joking or not but that picture is at least 6 years old.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

IT Guy posted:

My morning is ruined, how are you all doing?

Co Worker spent 4 hours trying to troubleshoot an issue with Adobe Reader and a user not being able to print yesterday at one of his locations. Co-worker is far from the brightest bulb on this planet when it comes to computers, blamed my deployment of the program, uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times.

We are getting "training" on Win7 today, told the trainer to just continue as I have no problems with anything, took a look at the site...the save to file checkbox was on in the Adobe print dialogue. :sigh:

Sadly this is the M.O. for this place.

I did my normal warn everyone to pay attention especially to the start (I use WDS, USMT, and WAIK with very little time to build images) if anything ever happens to me or I leave (gotta keep up hopes). I get back and everyone is decently confused, except the trainer that I am chatting with every now and then.

It is worth noting that in the time I have been here (5 years) this is the only training I have every received (I was just recently allowed to go to a FREE MS local event) other than a hilarious DreamWeaver community college course on building websites for the teachers responsible for modifying the websites (I gained nothing new from that event).

The sad thing is we don't have the HD space that the training company wanted (1 TB) in any unit, nor available, the trainer is talking about getting rid of his laptop as it doesn't have a VT chip, it has 8gb Ram and he has a 2tb usb drive his company provided.

I have a fairly recent laptop for our workplace, doesn't look like we will get an upgrade anytime soon, I have 2gb with a 120gb HD (I work with tons of .wim files and mass amounts of drivers).

Anyone else care to relieve some stress?

Edit: Ooh almost forgot we have had a plan in place with a company for 6 months to replace the ancient library catalog system, we barely meet the requirements but ok. Purchasing has had about 6 months to buy the two licenses of SQL 2008 from CDWG, the system has to be ready in 2 days for the company to remote in and perform operations on. Of course I still don't have a SQL key or certificate of purchase despite constant reminders :v:

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 3, 2010

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

We don't have the SAN space :cry: God I wish we could.

SAN space? SAN space?

I barely have DAS space let alone SAN or NAS :cry:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

IT Guy posted:

Jumping in on the P4 dominance wagon.
:smith::hf::smith:

PPC G3 20%, G4 20% equality, pentium 4 20% (go gtx240 and sx280 failures), pentium D (5%), 35% Core Duo or C2D.

A fair amount of the G3s and G4s run OS 9, for the G4 eMacs the latest OS is the one it came with (won't purchase newer, go 10.4.x whatever, but a fair amount have 10.2.9)
:wth::hf::wth:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Riso posted:

If you could put linux on it you would have at least a unified software platform, eh?

...but I am used to this, don't change it, it is too hard, this one just works. Now, how come site X doesn't work on the internet? I really need to do BLANK with this report.

Ignores new Dell USFF with 4gb of ram and C2D or only lets the kids use it.

We also have way too many users using AppleWorks on those macs despite having Office on pretty much all of them. :gonk:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Lead Computer Technician

Responsible for nearly all of our servers (20+)
The entire AD domain, antivirus, DHCP, the usual stuff
Light networking, CISCO WAPs,
Along with handing the regular tech work on 3 buildings, 200+staff, 500 or so computers (average life of 6 years (with plent of 10+ yr machines along with new)).

captkirk posted:

I hate this program. We host a bunch of highschool teachers every year, they come in and learn about some cad software and I swear the only piece of technology they understand is the phone they use to call us.

I often wonder how some of my users managed to operate their car to ride to work.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Rohaq posted:

See, in cases like this, how would it be received by HR if you requested a change in job title that reflected your actual responsibilities?

I just found out we don't roll vacation days into sick days if they aren't used like every other place on the planet and it is use it or loose them.

Sure love the 2 months that are blacked out every year in addition to never knowing what projects there might be (granted I should just not care).

As for HR the titles aren't decided by them. :downs:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Need to move Person X (BACK) to the Main. Building

No problem, right?

Not were I work, this involves scavenging someone else's desktop that is no longer here. Desktop from Z (no longer here) goes to Y, Y's desktop goes to X, and X's desktop goes to W. X then gets the documents from her old computer and Z's.

RPG fetch quests don't have anything on my workplace. One of these desktops isn't even in the same building :psyduck:

Edit: And now it is on hold, after talking with a coworker the head honcho had a different idea for who it was going to, gotta wait for him to get back.

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 13, 2010

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

I got this weird error installing PrintShop Pro that I got for my fiancée.

Your first mistake was buying anything from Broderbund :v:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Julianus posted:

I hate you all for using newer versions of Office. Why is my boss such a Scrooge McDuck ?

It could be worse, you could be me, they refuse to get a site license to save money (go government go) so I have to support Microsoft Office 97 - 2010 :suicide:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Phuzion posted:

Please tell me you're doing the imaging over the network.

Used WDS for all my image deployments as soon as it was released, 2008 made it real nice. Still a pain with laptops, most of the effort comes from unpacking and repacking rather than imaging.

I wish they were even buying units this year :(, even our woefully under equipped ones.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

enotnert posted:

I go down to check it out. . . Dell gx620 thats only lighting 4 on the diag lights. According to dell this means the computer has "lost its BIOS use bios recovery utility to fix". . .

Edit: Nevermind those are SX280s

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Billy the Mountain posted:

Wait. So your company moved it's IT department into a room with no network connection ports in it? And no one noticed this before?

Wait you guys don't have to run the wires yourself :sigh:

mllaneza posted:

I don't know why anyone but you or Dick are even posting here, really. The poo poo we get just doesn't compare. *I* thought a few users who can't find things in an alphabetical list were bad, but their name ? No. That's a win.

Had it happen before too.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Citizen Z posted:

Department head comes in, completely changes the reorganization plan and makes everything I've done for the last 30 minutes pointless.

Only 30 minutes? How long have you been working a computer job? I have sometimes lost critical days due to random desires for changes.

Inovius posted:

gently caress people who still click on links in random emails...

http://www.thewrap.com/media/column-post/computer-virus-outbreak-strikes-corporate-america-20721

Anyone else get hit with this drat thing? 750 machines or so and counting - and so far it looks like a full re-image is going to need to be done to clean it.

I started getting worried that this was another PDF exploit, turns out the file is an .exe :downs:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

shredswithpiks posted:

Don't worry, there's one of those [slashdot.org], too.

Oh there is always one of those, just like Flash and Java. I just thought it was real prevalent.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

I upgraded everybody to Adobe Reader 9.4 last night, and now poo poo's all retarded. Lots of people (who also have Acrobat 8 installed) can't open PDFs in browser, with a message "Error: "The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 8 or 9 is required. Please exit and try again." I'm blaming this on Reader 9.4 and Acrobat 8.fuckyou fighting and not getting along. Could this be the case, or am I whiny idiot who should just deal with Acrobat 8 chilling around?

A bit late but did you use their own customer editor for the MST? Did you tell it to explicitly use the new version of Adobe in the options? You need to leave it on "let acrobat decide" or something like that. That should fix the issue on redeployment.

Yes, it is as dumb as it sounds.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

The Fool posted:

Spin it up with the cover open. Make designs by scoring it with a paper clip while the platters are spinning.

madsushi posted:

At my job, we have tack hammer that we use for smashing drives. A good swing will go right through the platters; we don't even bother taking them apart. Five or six swings are going to do enough damage to ruin them forever.

m2pt5 posted:

The magnets are indeed fun. The platters make good shooting targets as well.

Did we work together? :confused:

You can also draw on it with markers and hold races / scare people with it (take some more apart to get even more platters).

Since everyone else hit upon everything already, you can also turn them into a speaker using the voice-coil servo motors. (this won't even come close to destroying all of the data though).

CraigK posted:

Quick question: In a home computer that consistently overheats, what part's going to be the first to give up the ghost?

Overheats how? If it is a system overheat then I would say the HDD.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

CraigK posted:

Explains it. My home computer's hard drive's been throwing off disk read errors. After installing a new one and cleaning the cat hair out of the heatsink, that should be it.

Disk read errors are a bad sign, try running a program that can read the SMART data or at the very least Crystalmark Diskinfo.

Cleaning cat hair out of the heatsink makes it sound like a CPU overheat and not a issue with environmental / case temp which would lead to a shortened life for the HDD.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

enotnert posted:

Ahhhhh none of the servers we've bought in the past 6 years have ps/2 ports, but you know, getting this ps/2 vga kvm makes perfect sense because it's 5 bucks cheaper.

It is 2010, nearly 2011 time to either learn DRAC or equivalents or use a crash kart. Unless it is an IP kvm.

No bonus, no party, no raise. :smith:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Ted Stevens posted:

Ensign, how is sysprep for your machines? Well, other than that BSOD. I ask because I've got about 20 machines I have to deploy with Windows 7 in the near future that are all identical. I want to see what other people are using.

Sysprep and WDS on 2008 (would love to have it on 2008r2). :effort:

Farking Bastage posted:

It's a whole new world to be honest and unnecessarily complicated.

It allows for a lot of different options, would be nice to have the option to still use the old method if you don't feel like going through the effort though.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Stonefish posted:

Do you (or anyone else) get an issue where WDS just doesn't loving work right? It'll usually start off okay on a bare install of 2k8r2, but after adding an image or two, or maybe generating a capture image, it'll start making GBS threads the bed.

Sometimes, adding an image will just fail for no good goddamned reason, even direct from a known good DVD. Once it happens once, it never comes good again.

There's got to be something I'm missing. Not even Windows ME was this unusable.

Can't say I ever had.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Nomex posted:

We retired some equipment this week. Today is hard drive destruction day. I know a lot of people recommend running at least 3 erases on a hard disk before recycling. The problem is those people don't have this many drives:

The thing is a hell of a workout though. The side with the circuit board is like trying to spin 2 magnets that are stuck together. 20 down, 108 to go.

That seems like a whole lot of effort why not just connect a bunch of them and run DBAN in automatic mode, then do the same thing a bit later?

I guess I just suffer from :effort:

That and wouldn't that effect the rare earth magnets inside (it would get old after taking the 4th one apart, but you would also miss out on doing this

Edit: Damnit Moey beat me while I was writing my response

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

:woop: Finally re-did my Sysprep and my master image. The only input required to set up a machine is the computer name :smug:

E; windows 7

You have to input the computer name? :smuggo:

I just use a script to pull the asset info from the BIOS and query the network info to append the building prefix.:effort:

Of course most of the techs never manage to even put it in and plenty have problems imaging the machines. 2 buttons just 2 buttons, hell on quite a few of them it is the same button, just twice. :smithicide:

Edit: The image is old though, haven't had a chance to update it in a year

quote:

So, I'm That Guy and I've never done anything with SysPrep. I've just made a fully installed image non-activated and a few apps that tie system things not installed and such and clonezilla'ed it to every new laptop we've got in...

It isn't really a big problem now, just don't do it with Domain Controllers. I have heard of perhaps issues with SCCM or WSUS but never seen it (then again everyone syspreps)

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Lum posted:

You've probably guessed, since I'm posting here, that that's 7 days, not 7 working days. Today, 9 days later, is my first day back and that isn't even due to me taking additional holidays beyond the mandatory Christmas shutdown.

You should have VPNed in or used the website to change your password :mad:

Derpes Simplex posted:

With MDT I can use the BIOS asset tag, the MAC address, computer UUID, or service tag to identify a machine. From there I can set any of the 100+ configuration options for the machine, including the host name. :viggo:

What do you think calls the script?

I miss having SCCM too.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

To be fair, once I started monitor shopping, I discovered a reason why Macs actually are superior for artistic work: except for the Macbook, they all come with IPS LCDs (which also explains a bit of the initial Apple Tax). Of course you can get 'em for PCs, too, but for an artiste, a Mac makes the right kind of screen easy to stumble into when you're hamfisting a machine configuration; you can't not get one.

It would be valid if I ever knew anyone that color corrected /calibrated their monitor. :v:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

geera posted:

We had to print out warning labels to stick to the sides of our Smartboard:

Is that a all in one smartboard (video device built in?)

If not then behold the superior, cheaper version, (although smart boards might be multitouch now), also allows you to use a marker (with adapter). Just stick it anywhere (avoid tons of IR light).

http://us.mimio.com/en-US.aspx

WARNING every picture on their site is either photoshoped or done with peel and sticks to make it look like the unit also projects by itself.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Bardlebee posted:

Hey what your guys opinion on a backup solution to where if a hard drive dies in my server I can bring it back up with a new hard drive really quick.

Sounds like you need a RAID solution if your problem is just one hard drive dying.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Fox_Spy posted:

Ok, I would now like to know how you do this. I used ComboFix and MalwareBytes last time and that clearly didn't fix it as much as I thought it did. I can't flatten it since the restore partition appears to be damaged, probably because for some dumb rear end reason, it's user accessible inside of Windows.

Malware has a really tough time in Vista or above escaping a non admin account. It is probably an oddly named folder in the users AppData.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

rscott posted:

Yeah. Invest in an external SATA - USB drive enclosure, keep the top off and throw infected drives in there and scan that way. SoP when I worked at compUSA.

Go with one of these instead, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071. Great for 2.5 and 3.5

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Fox_Spy posted:

Okay, I think this bastard is just about clean. I've got some White Smoke Translator thing that keeps popping up, I just need to suppress and kill that and I'm done.

White Smoke is a real program though, it constantly runs and tries to correct anything that someone types into proper English. Usually used by people that only know English as a second language (or distant one) and don't really know a lot of the grammar.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

We got a gift package of popcorn (supposedly) in a box addressed to our building + IT department. I don't recognize the name (not odd) but I looked through the mail system and AD and didn't find the person. It even has a message "Thanks so much for your help yesterday" -firstname of giftgiver

I haven't asked everyone yet but so far :iiam:

Edit: :ms: Coworkers girlfriend had car trouble and a few other techs helped her out. Should have known it wouldn't be a user here.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Asmodai_00 posted:

...to look at her computer.

He'll make a full copy of the HDD, in case she has a data loss, take it back to his place. You know, offsite storage and all.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

delpheye posted:

3rd/4th'ing NAS. Tapes are so 2005.

That would be nice but some of us have to be able to grab files that were deleted sometimes 2 or more years ago on a budget. I just don't trust disks yet, nor do we have the network speed to put it in another location.

Edit: For the data consolidation we are looking at next year it would take 11 days to do a full backup to our next fastest site (100mbs), assuming the connection never gets used. Granted this is assuming our server gets approved and everyone starts backing up (roaming profiles for all users (yes we will end up backing up tons of dumb pictures and music, but at least we will be able to reimage carefree), Mac users will finally have a proper place to store all their movie projects).

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

couldcareless posted:

I'm so tempted to respond "Well, that's all there is for that internet thing. Might as well start investing in internet 2."

But internet 2.0 is already here thanks to MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter :confused:

Just wait until they run out of myspaces, companies are already working on Internet 3.0.0, but it is a bit too late to be competitive, that is why I am working on Internet 4..0 (it is in VRML)

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

Has anyone silently installed Flash player 10? I'm trying to push it out to some XP boxes without having to touch them. I know what msiexec is, but I can't find a standalone installer for flash. There doesn't seem to be a way to get a MSI off adobe's site that I can figure out. The only thing I could find in the cache of a machine I installed it on is the download manager itself.

Any ideas?

Always check appdeploy. You have accepted a corporate redeployment license from Adobe, right? (free and required)
http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=1382
Check links.

Just a word of warning though 10.2.152.26 doesn't seem to be registering properly on half of my units in IE's managed plugins after uninstalling the previous version. Thankfully I didn't do a full deployment. Adobe!!! :ssj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

LowJack posted:

I freaked out for a second at the first image, I thought someone had moved a server cabinet into the break room and stuck alcohol on top of it. Took a few seconds of looking at it to realize what it was.

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/13-024_CANFORD-FRIDGE-Rackmount-13U

I could have sworn there were rack mount temperature controlled wine containers too.