Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Migishu posted:

Resolution: Removed laptop fan

Ticket: Laptop on fire. Call fire department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Texts came in:

:v is a windows admin that has been banned from creating VMs, not by actually restricting his access, but by my boss saying STOP IT.

:v:: What should I name the two new drop zone servers?
Me: Bulkhead and Arcee
Me:: I've been watching too much transformers prime lately.
:v:: How about bulkhead and roadbuster
Me: Are you asking for permission or forgiveness?
:v:: Forgiveness
:v:: :3:

He's building VMs again which he shouldn't be doing. Which means I'll have a mess to clean up tomorrow morning. :sigh:

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

coyo7e posted:

One of my coworkers refused to touch the keyboard of a famously gross scientist at our org, so he removed the keyboard and ran it through the dishwasher, which ruined it, but he didn't care and happily bought a replacement out of pocket on ebay for 10 bucks, rather than touch the guy's curly-hair-choked keyboard without gloves.

Personally, I once put on latex gloves to hook his laptop up to the projector in the conference room, in full view of all the other VIPs and scientists he was about to give a presentation to. He didn't get the hint. :dawkins101:

At my previous job we had a guy with a skin condition. When he quit I was tasked with recovering his old equipment. I picked his keyboard up, which was covered in skin flakes, and for lack of a better way of describing it, it snowed.

Needless to say I threw the keyboard, mouse, and every other thing he touched away and then bleached his work space.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

MJP posted:

Secondarily, anyone know some decent means of not getting a billion SCOM alerts or how to manage them?

Install real monitoring software like Nagios?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

We're currently (trying to) evaluate SCOM in comparison to Nagios and Zabbix. I think we're going to end up going with Zabbix, but since you seem to have an opinion can you say what's bad about SCOM?

SCOM works great for monitoring windows. Though the alerting is problematic and we never could get it tweaked to not be useless. It also tends to monitor things to death if you aren't careful.
SCOM sucks for everything else. The linux agent was horrible and had horrible restrictions. If it wasn't crashing on RHEL5 it was bugged out and just not working at all. It made the mainframe unhappy (yes really, an IBM mainframe...) on occasion.
In general it's pretty buggy as is typical for fairly new microsoft software.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

An email came in:

quote:

· Looking for a consultant who is expertise with Ubuntu + Openstack (Linux OS) skills.

If your skills matches with the job description mentioned, kindly revert me back with your updated resume or you can call me at my desk number i.e.

Revert you back to what? A monkey with a type writer?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I just had a developer walk up to me and say this:

"We need to be able to send out 300,000 emails daily."

What. That was never in the design spec...

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

The Cubelodyte posted:

We just deployed a bound machine to a network engineer. He refused it, saying that it had to be "completely clean" and couldn't be bound to the domain. When I asked him why, he said it was because he has to certify to entities like JPL and Ames that ONLY HE has access to the machine, for security reasons.

The specific TLA government entity I'm working with these days would blow a gasket if there was a machine on the network not managed by a domain and group policy. And the only thing we process on these systems is PII... Nothing classified or anything like that.

I'm calling bullshit unless this guy will be providing you with the contractual or other documentation provided by JPL and Ames. Since it's government related he should be able to provide you with a tome of paperwork in this regard. You also need to get his manager and your manager to exchange emails agreeing to do whatever he needs done.

Obvious Protip: If you ever get involved with federal contracting, CYA at every point, archive the emails on two sources, and never do anything without approval.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

A change control board came in.

Everyone on my team has been idled while they figure out how to actually do a change control board. They're also trying to implement change control on top of scrum so we'll see how that goes.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

My SSID is CookedFlesh. I used to have a cisco aironet 1200 with two gently caress off huge antennas turned up to maximum strength. The name seemed appropriate and it just kind of stuck.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Sounds stupid, but maybe try clearing your browser cache? I've seen weird stuff like that when the browsers end up holding on to something they shouldn't.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Edit: Oops, meant to send a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

How did that issue make it through QA? :psyduck: