Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.
I'm glad to see IT frustrations are nearly the same in every industry. My rant is not about the clueless, computer illiterate users but rather the inane requests from those that suppose to be tech savvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

A ticket came in from one of our A/V tech's. User is requesting 30 TB of fast storage connected to their workstation. It also needs backed up daily.

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

Crowley posted:

When I get that kind of requests I throw together a spec just for the hell of it and send them the price estimate along with a request for me to bill it to their department - and then I don't hear from them again for a long time.
That's exactly what I did, of course it didn't get approved... the manager went back to the user and they decided 10 TB was "sufficient" to get started, that got approved. Ohh, the cost to expand our tape library to accommodate the extra data was $22k in of itself. I think part of the problem is users' think of the help desk system as this magical fry's electronics where they put in a ticket for whatever they desire and hardware shows up for free.