Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Etherealm
Aug 18, 2004

syphon^2 posted:

All of my users work in Software Development (devs, testers, or PMs). It frustrates me to no end the number of support requests I receive that simply say 'The site is not working please investigate'. FYI, 'the site is not working' can mean either the hostname/IP was not found, the web server is timing out, it's throwing a 404/friendly 404, the HTML content isn't rendering properly, product searches aren't returning results, or test purchases are failing. No error messages. No repro steps. No expected/actual behavior, just 'the site is not working'.

Jesus Christ, people! How can you work in Software Development, yet write worse bugs than my mother when she calls me because her e-mail stopped working! (father deleted the gmail shortcut from the desktop).
It looks like my current job. I work in networking and we often get tickets along the lines of 'The Internet is slow'. So what, seriously, I can't guarantee the speed of the internet. Worst is, all these tickets are opened by our call center by employees trained for this. So you'd think they'd make half decent tickets, but apparently no, they can't.

The one that takes the cake is this one though:

The network is slow.

There is nothing else, it just says the network is slow. Well, we have about 350 buildings on our network, would you please have the decency to tell me which part of my network is slow? Once, one of these tickets that made it to us was from the Windows team, so we actually looked at it. They were saying that our network was slow from where they were (their PC are at 1Gbps, the distribution layer connects to the access layer via 4 (2x2) 1gbps links in portchannel to the backbone which connects at 10Gbps up to their cluster who's at 4x1gbps).

After telling them to check their servers, they came back to us saying the cpu was fine, nothing else. After getting the Unix team in (they can generate an insane amount of bandwidth somehow), we tested every single link one by one, even the 10Gbps to see if our equipments were at fault. They were not. The problem came from Windows share who became very slow when a lot of users were browsing them. And who figured that out? Funny enough, it was the Unix team. :downsbravo:

We often get tons of software error tickets, because everything is the fault of the network. Almost none of these tickets are descriptive, so we actually have to call back the person and ask them, for the second time, what is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etherealm
Aug 18, 2004

Just had a good one. We usually don't deal with users having connectivity problems, but this one was just a few cubicles away, so off I went. No matter what he did, he kept getting a 169.254.x.x address, always the same one. I checked if there was any error on the switch port and everything was fine, even his mac showed on the port. His mac-address was making it to the router, ip helpers were fine since everyone else on the floor was getting an address, it was just his second pc that was not getting any. We were puzzled until we went and checked the machine itself. An ipconfig /all was returning WINS and we don't use WINS. Turns out he hardcoded the 169.254.x.x address with the correct gateway and everything. Also, this guy used to be working on firewalls before he got switched to another department, I'm pretty sure he did this on purpose (at least I hope so).