Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

Javid posted:

I created a filter to insta-trash anything with "FW:" in the subject for just that reason.

Yeah, but you can't do that in a ticket system. A department may forward you a conversation regarding what they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

When I send you an email asking for approval to give your subordinate something, it comes from [helpdeskaddress]@[mycompany].com It has the ticket number in the subject, and any replies to there go into the ticket. I'm trying to get documented approval. So when I need a reply, don't reply or forward to my individual address!

A user this morning twice replied to me directly instead of the email address I sent from. The third time I asked him to reply to the email address in the email, he instead replied to our internal department email, labeled Desktop Team (desktop department use only).

Forwarding it from myself isn't good enough, as forwards could easily be forged in our ticket system since they show as plaintext. Direct replies list the username of who replied, taken from the ticket system based on his email address.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

The reply to is the address I want it sent to, and the email automatically signs when sent from inside our ticket system. It looks like

quote:

Do some stuff and then reply to this email with your approval.

Thank you,

Hoppy
Infrastructure Support

The user is actually going out of their way to remove the email address in the reply, look me up, put my name in instead. My email address is not the reply to, nor is it in the signature.

Everything from Thank you on down is automatically inserted.
You can also tell who is new in the helpdesk because they will sign the email in the ticket, giving you

newguy posted:

Hi do this kthx

Thanks,
New Guy, helpdesk

Thank you,

New Guy
Infrastructure support

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

WickedMetalHead posted:

This is where you ignore ticket emails sent to your address.

Would love to do that, but I have to keep good metrics if I want to get out of helpdesk. Required one year in helpdesk for most people here in IT before you can move up.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

I shouldn't make fun of our foreign QA guys, but...

QA Guy posted:

Please do the needful for 30 foot network card

With just his name, no phone number, no location or PC name, and he is a temp so he isn't in our directory.

I would love to see a 30 foot network card.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Here's one for today.

quote:

I can't read anything on my screen or see any icons this screen is too small

We use 17 inch LCDs, being replaced with 19" ones at the moment with our PC replacements.

I call up the user and try to figure out what the problem is.
Resolution: Resolution.
This user wasn't happy until I put their lovely 19" monitor on 800x600. I'm just glad I was viewing this through VNC and didn't have to see this monitor displaying something way below its native resolution.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

:cool: Hey, I need the MAC address from the new printer. Can you print the network config page?
:downs: Sure! It says "Add Toner Cartridge"
:cool: Ok... put in the toner cartridge...?
:downs: I didn't get one. Can you send me one?
:mad: It should have came with one, in that white box inside the printer box.
:downs: Oh, I didn't know what that was, I threw it out. I wondered why this thing didn't work right.
:sigh: Well, you can order one on (site).
:bahgawd: I shouldn't have to order one you should have sent me one!
:suicide: It doesn't cost you money, the cartridge is paid for by us...

Of course these are the little throwaway backup units, and their stupid LCD menu can't show the MAC address. Yay for a 5 day wait to get this done.

edit for less annoying emotes, i can't see them at work.

Hoppy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 12, 2008

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Ticket of the day so far...

quote:

Subject: Help

It had the users name, but no callback number, location, PC name, etc. Granted most of that populates once a user has had a ticket and will fill in on all future contacts from them, but this guy gave me no indication how to reach him. He wasn't in our directory either because he was new, so I had to have HR tell me where he was and how to find him.

Edit: He didn't know his login or password for a system his manager was going to train him on and give him his logins.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

borrowedladder posted:

Or they'll expect you're running some kind of occult operation when the mail is returned by "MAILER-DAEMON."

"My email has Demons in it!" Got that a lot at my last job doing in home tech support (not Geeksquad)

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Has someone locked your machine remotely? Are you having software remotely pushed? Were you instructed not to log in? Did you call the helpdesk asking if you can unlock the machine, and you were told no?

Unlock it anyway and kick off the user who is logged in! All those errors that pop up when you log in are clearly our fault, as is the fact that a bunch of your programs no longer work. This is an excellent way to lose your local admin privileges that you begged and pleaded for.

Please submit another helpdesk ticket without notifying the person working on the first one. The person who gets the new ticket will enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out just what you have done to the PC. Please make sure to not mention your previous problems until they are at a point of complete frustration.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Been a bit slow, so here are some funny ticket goofs I found today while searching our archive. Our ticket system lets you change your ticket title, but not past entries.

"user will poo poo the printer back to Lexmark"
"Please poo poo a 25' network cable to the user"
"Outlook was locked up. Ended process, retarded Outlook, works fine now."
"User ahaaddddaaa aaaaaagggagghhhhhh" (this tech had been having real bad keyboard issues lately and mistakenly saved this gibberish)
"eniggers can install this overnight." (meaning to say engineers)
users who contact us and call call RedAlert "ePop" (chat/IM/alert client) ePoop by mistake.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

So we kept tripping the circuit breaker in our helpdesk today, causing downtime and lost calls.

Turns out one of our helpdesk workers brought in a space heater.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

ab0z posted:

Reasons NOT to hack into a computer:
changing fonts
loving with some bullshit word documents

This reminds me of one from my last job, a local shop doing carry in and onsite service, like geeksquad I guess.

This old woman brings in her beige built by a "friend who knows computers" windows XP box. She tells me that some guy named "Paul Megalim" has hacked her computer. He has installed programs, changed icons, and even put his picture on the computer to "leave his mark to show off to his hacker friends". She asks us to destroy all the data on the machine, then destroy the PC itself, physically. This is based on an assessment from a friend who "works with computers". I ask if we can look at it to investigate it first, and she hesitantly agrees.

Checking it out I find the usual spyware/junkware on the PC that would be on there from a teenager using it. I also find some random downloaded pictures from a teenagers MSN conversations. Two are on the desktop. One is a picture of Orlando Bloom. The other is file without an extension called PaulMegan, which when changed to .jpg is a picture of two teenagers. Fairly obvious those were from the teenager using it, and she obviously misread the file PaulMegan as Paul Megalim.

I explain to the woman that the files are from her granddaughter (staying with her for the summer) and show her them to her. "Thats the greaseball who hacked my computer!" about Orlando Bloom, and "Her friends Paul and Megan are in on it!" I try to explain where the files came from, and she gets hung up on why would a 14 year old would have pictures of a "greasy european" like him. Cue a rather awkward explanation from me about teens and "hot movie stars". I also tell her I can clean up the spyware, but she isn't interested.

She takes the prints, has me back up the "evidence" onto dvds, then still has me destroy the data and the computer. I later find she turned this into the police, who despite their best efforts to convince her otherwise, are stuck with a case to find Paul Megalim the hacker, who looks like Orlando Bloom, and that his cohorts, Paul and Megan the teenagers, are being no help at all in locating him.

Hoppy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 22, 2009

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Superhaus posted:

Here's one from this morning.

One of our users posts a party invitation in an RT ticket for who-knows-what reason. She wasn't inviting IT, she is just clueless.

The Systems director replies to the ticket:

5 minutes later:

What part of No need to reply to this mail as it will re-open the ticket. is so difficult to understand?

What is worse is people discussing things over email and CCing the helpdesk ticket email address, creating a new ticket each time. Our ticket system is smart enough to recognize replies with a ticket number in the subject as being additions to a ticket, but otherwise it just assumes that you are making a new ticket. This can often result in about 20 tickets, all with the same name, just because people reply to all.

Regarding the ran over blackberry, we had a PC delivered to an end user that had clearly been run over by a truck. Crushed and had tire treads on it. Still worked somehow, but looked like crap.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

users posted:

THE PHONE ARE DOWN!!! PLZ CALL ASAP!!!
I love our users...

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Lum posted:

Pointsec

I would stop killing that process and trying to disable it unless you want to get that user fired. If there is something on there to prevent data leaks, it is normally there for a reason.

I don't administer Pointsec at my company, but I know you can put in exceptions for it. I think asking that of the IT department would be a better option then telling them to remove it.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

For further emphasis, set the bin next to a shredder.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

sm8000 posted:

After reading that explanation, I think Outlook et al could be set up with the Inbox divided into two folders - To Do where everything arrives first, and Done for those which have been "actioned" but the user doesn't want to delete just yet.

It already has the follow up flags built in which would serve this purpose. No flag indicates that nothing has been done or nothing needs to be done, follow up means you need to do it, and completed means you are done with it.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

llibja posted:

This one just came in a few minutes ago.

"The monitor is showing a big black spot after being moved from the xxx building to the xxx Building. When remoting it the spot does not show. All cables have been checked. The hardware is damaged."

Dude got a call from someone telling him the monitor is damaged, so he remotes in to amazingly find that he can not see the spot.

Whats wrong with that? He made sure it wasn't a software issue. It could have been a locked up program where the window turned a solid color.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I was always under the impression that users did it because Deleted Items typically doesn't have the same quota restrictions as their inbox, so they can just put all their 100MB Powerpoints of Word documents of videos of people falling off diving boards in there.

Based on the number of users who call me saying they cleaned up their mailbox but still get warnings, I'd say it does count towards it. I really wish we would make "empty deleted items" on exit the standard around here.

Then again, most users don't grasp that the 100s of plain text emails they deleted don't add up to the 10 emails from mom that all have a funny picture/animation and embedded music... in a single slide power point presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

A user told me her new windows password, after I reset it. This meant I had to reset it again and give her a slap on the wrist, no big deal. But I'm trying to figure out if the password she selected is stupid, or genius:

Zxcvbnm.,/

What's so special about that? Try putting you finger on the left shift, then dragging it across to the other shift. It's long enough and complex enough... I just don't know if it's genius or stupid.

(this user did tell me the password, so probably not genius)