Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Don't worry, even outside of IT, this kind of crap happens. I'm facing it in my job at the moment.

:v: So how do I get this locomotive to this area of the depot for 30 minutes of testing on a track that is used, at most, one time a day and has four other identical roads that can be used instead of it, that all start and end at the same point?

:colbert: YOU MUST SEE THE NETWORK CONTROL GUYS AND ORGANISE A BIG EXPENSIVE AND TIMECONSUMING SETUP

:v: Ok so let's say I manage to jump through those hoops, can we -then- use this piece of track to do our safety-critical headlight aiming?

:colbert: NO THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WORK ON EQUIPMENT THERE AS IT IS UNDER AN OVERHEAD LINE NEVER MIND THE FACT THAT THEY WOULD BE DOING NO MORE THAN STANDING ON THE WALKWAY ONE MUST WALK ALONG TO ENTER THE LOCO THEY ARE STILL WITHIN THE THREE METRE SAFETY ZONE YOU CAN NOT DO IT.

:v: ok so where can I actually do this stuff?

:colbert: NOWHERE. PS: I WANT IT DONE SOON HURRY UP.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Rock Tumbler posted:

It would be pretty cool to work with trains I think

It is! I certainly like the work! It's better than stocking shelves at a supermarket, that's for sure.

However, we're a government-owned private organisation, only recently going from a public government mob to a private government-owned one, so there's still a lot of legacy red tape around the place. It really is a daily battle to try to get things done in some situations.

I can understand why many of the things are done (for example, the 3m exclusion zone around overhead wires are because 25kV AC is not fun to get near when standing on a metal locomotive with metal wheels connected to metal tracks buried in the ground) but it can cause some annoying headaches in some situations.

In a more tech-related example, the company is very much driven by the "keep it conservative and stick with well-known stuff" idea, but in all the wrong ways. Very little non-commercial, non-mainstream software is trusted. It's hell to even get a PDF creator, such as CutePDF - one has to argue significantly as to why it's needed on one's PC, despite the fact that it's simply just drat useful to have.

I haven't even bothered asking for, say, Google SketchUp to help with some basic 3D CAD stuff, since it's free and has no support for the software it's likely considered to be unacceptable to be run here. I don't even need the full version to export to other drawing files or anything - I just want to be able to do a quick render, hit printscreen, and attach it to a 2D AutoCAD file to give a bit better ability for clients to visualise what I'm trying to do.

Red tape can be frustrating :(

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 2, 2008

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Karanth posted:

You guys think thermostat wars are silly? The last place I worked had light wars.

Find your regional equivalent for the lighting standard (That's the European standard, for example), set it to standard-compliant, and then tell them to shut up as it's 'to standard'.

Nobody argues with defined standards, it's great. It creates the illusion that it's outside your control so they don't bitch to you.

edit: This appears to be the ANSI equivalent for the US. Alternatively, I'm guessing that this is the ISO one.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 16, 2008

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Spazz posted:

Insert.
The insert key is used to trigger overwrite. Open Word, and down the bottom look for the greyed out OVR. Press insert and that'll become un-greyed showing that overwrite is on.

edit: Hovering over the greyed out OVR shows that Word calls it 'Overtype'. What the gently caress, Word, I've never heard it called that before in my life.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Just for grins, see if the spelling dictionary accepts "overtype". Firefox on OS X sure doesn't.

Amusingly, it accepts all 3 - Overtype, overstrike and overwrite.