Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
There's nothing more frustrating than being the guy that has to deal with the end user, and immediately taking a request back up the chain to get it dealt with, and then STILL taking poo poo when the request isn't complete a couple of weeks down the line, suddenly everyone looks back at you even though you passed that poo poo on and did all you could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rohaq posted:

It's sad that I know exactly what symbol that alt code is for, without looking it up.

I did, too

Edit: aww, I was thinking of Alt+0169, still, it's close

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Just got a user that was having issues with her outlook being slow.

No cached exchange mode.

4.5 GB in deleted items folder, to get around the 100mb mailbox restriction.

:golfclap:

I get calls often where people can't understand why their mailbox is so large, and their deleted items is absolutely stuffed.

What is it with using deleted items like a loving filing system? I just connect to their mailbox myself and empty it everytime without hesitation.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crowley posted:

I admit my google-fu must be failing, but I can't for the life of me find anything about how to do that for Exchange 2010 and Office 2010. :(

I'm still supporting a 2003 environment, but I'm guessing you grab

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=64b837b6-0aa0-4c07-bc34-bec3990a7956&displaylang=en

and go into Group Policy Management, add the fucker in to a new policy and find the relevant setting

Edit: for reference, I googled: office 2010 ADM

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crowley posted:

It turned out, that it was far easier to set a Retention Policy Tag in Exchange. I feel pretty dumb for not looking into that in the first place, but you pushed me further into Google, and finally it clicked. Thanks again. :downs::hf::clint:

I should have thought about simply checking on exchange :downs:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

TheBandOffice posted:

Damnit Best Buy why won't you pay enough to hire competent employees! :negative:

Because it's likely those people got better jobs elsewhere, for more money. I guess you get what you pay for, sometimes! (Although there are tons of underpaid counter-examples in IT...)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Wheany posted:

I could care less :hehe:

So you are troubled by the mistake? Good to know

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

thelightguy posted:

Guys i think hes trolling. :v:

I know, but it was feeding time

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ahh, but you didn't blur out the company name in the header image. Found the site, and dear god, yes, it's a mess

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crowley posted:

That, and one of their main products is mentioned on the page. :v:

Yeah, the blocking was pretty pointless

It must work right in some browser though, surely. Maybe IE6?

Edit: no, booted up XP mode, it doesn't

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Gunjin posted:

I am going to disagree with all the "Samsung makes good TV" talk. We've had 7 Samsungs go down with bad power supplies within the last 6 months. They use poo poo capacitors.

Ah yes, that old chestnut.

It enrages me to find cheap, lovely 'lytics in supposedly high end kit. It's not even a big cost to procure and use decent ones. I won't buy any excuse of the company outsourcing the PSU design, either, because poo poo capacitor problems have been around for some time, and it should be up to the manufacturer to specify the type used

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ted Stevens posted:

Ensign, how is sysprep for your machines? Well, other than that BSOD. I ask because I've got about 20 machines I have to deploy with Windows 7 in the near future that are all identical. I've been looking at many different methods: create an image file of the drive and connect via BartPE to copy the image to other computers, using Windows 7 image software, Clonezilla, sysprep, etc. I want to see what other people are using.

If you have a Windows server, which I imagine you do, give Windows Deployment Services a go. It's much better on 2008 (multicast) so you have nothing to lose.. but a lot of time

e: Beaten by some way

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Nomex posted:

It's pretty good, but you definitely want to use it in conjunction with the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit. This will allow you to create a scripted build of your image which can then be easily captured and deployed through WDS.

Unless I've missed something, I'd really love it if there was a dumb image capture/deploy mode built into it so you didn't always have to sysprep

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Arsten posted:

SysPrep is needed because it resets the HAL and all drivers. If you dumb-clone a disk, it had better be to an identical system.

Ahh, I know exactly why that happens, I'm just saying, it'd be useful to be able to backup an individual system. I know it's not designed for it

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Tunga posted:

of course it's impossible to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del with one hand so I give up with that.

Right Ctrl + AltGr + Del can be done easily with one hand, well, unless you have a wacky keyboard :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Telex posted:

Honestly, macs are easier to support. OSX is a far better OS to deal with if you know how to dig around it. I'd rather have all macs around than this Mac + Dell nonsense we have going on here. Mac users, almost no complaints. Even if there are complaints I can remote in super easy and there's no UAC nonsense, I can elevate to root super easy, etc etc. It's like the amount of security needed on a PC to sandbox an idiot user away from loving their system up on a weekly basis also makes it cumbersome to manage compared to a Mac.

Huh?

UAC elevation requires clicking a single button.
OS X elevation requires typing in a password.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Spermy Smurf posted:

I know you've probably answered this before, but: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ROAMING PROFILES. Then you can reply to messages like this with "piss off"

Even if he had or indeed has roaming profiles, people would still ask for this poo poo, guaranteed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

AcridWhistle posted:

Sounds like you need a RAID solution if your problem is just one hard drive dying.

I recently mirrored a mirror.
4 drives, 4 clones of Windows Server. Who knows if it's any good in practice, but it's working perfectly right now, and they're old IDE drives so I figured why not; lets overkill this redundancy out the rear end, they won't be used for anything else.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crowley posted:

loving YES!

Come have a two-week wacation in cold and windy Denmark. The missus and I will provide the room and eatin'.

I'm trying to get an IT job in Denmark :v:
One of the larger problems is, well, learning Danish.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Moey posted:

Microsoft Security Essentials

Yeah, this. Nice clean integration with Windows Update and relatively unobstrusive operation mean I'd never mention avast or AVG again (unless of course they were running a pirated copy of Windows, and MSE refuses to install, but then I generally weep because there are so many ways to get a copy of Windows 7 for dirt cheap).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

incoherent posted:

https://www.showmypc.com

step 1: click "show my pc" hyperlink
step 2: run the program
step 3: click "show my pc now"
step 4: tell them to give you the password
step 5: remotely admin the computer

With TeamViewer there's one less step even, since you don't have to click any buttons on the software after you download it. The moment you run it, it gives you an ID and Password to read out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ah, Ctrl+Alt + Arrow Keys with Intel Graphics

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

brc64 posted:

It turns out that the Windows Firewall got switched to "On" and since the Firewall service wasn't disabled like it's been on every other Windows 2003 Server install I've ever seen, it killed my remote access.

I swear this server is cursed.

I had this problem with a fresh Windows Server 2003 install. I installed it, turned the firewall off. I installed a handful of Windows updates, now I come to think of it, including Service Pack 2.

Bam, once the thing reboots, I no longer have access.

Edit: beaten. It's a real bitch that it would do it without asking you.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

So, ignore the biggest potential risk as part of a risk assessment? Sounds like a plan!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rohaq posted:

At risk of exposing my goonability to the public; it's 10/02/11 episode, about 33 minutes in? I'm the third guy from the challenge sporting the lumberjack-esque beard. I'm happy to say that it's long gone now, but I would decide to remove it after the TV spot, of course.

Also hoping the interview with The Sunday Times comes out this week; at least I'm safe from pictures there.

It's still on iPlayer.
Still, you'll be lucky soon. BBC iPlayer seems to recycle their content at a rapid pace. In comparison, 4 on Demand is much better at keeping older stuff around.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

rolleyes posted:

I think he meant the beard was long gone, not the evidence of his goonability. ;)

Ah, of course. I'm going to blame the morning.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

It's sad how quality control seemed to slip.

You could run a LaserJet 4000-4200 until the end of time, bar replacing the rollers, yet it seems newer ones ran at a far less volume seemed to have more issues. This is purely anecdotal, though

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Balzac Jones posted:

tl,dr: Ramblings plus some semi-anecdotal data indicating that HP business-class LaserJets made in the last 10 years don't have a total service life much longer than 5-6 years, whereas the older HPs keep going like the Energizer Bunny.

Still tl,dr: gently caress printers. :argh:

Genuinely interesting data, thanks for that. It goes beyond the normal "they don't make them like they used to" type rants

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crowley posted:

*Late because I was busy spending a winter holiday with the family at a resort that lets you ignore the weather outside and enjoy the subtropical warmth under a huge dome instead. Spending the morning golfing, eating dinner at a nice restaurant before hopping into the pool and swimming around in a snowstorm while being comfy and warm really makes you relax. What, me brag? Surely not!

That sounds awesome. Where was that?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bonzo posted:

If they do call though, I get $100 per call.

So get friendly with your clients, and get them to call for no reason. Extra money coming your way!

Hell, with the people we've all come across, no question is too stupid.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The mission-critical bug is the fact he's still using IE 6. His problem, not yours.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yaos posted:

And switching from eDirectory to AD. You can run both side by side but you'll be paying for both while doing it, unless you're crazy and switch everybody to AD at the same time.

Hahaha, you should have seen the clusterfuck at a job I had several years ago.

Two Novell trees (4.11 and 6).
Two AD domains.

Then throw some people using Citrix on top of that, and you have a multiple authentication clusterfuck nightmare.

We had fields with passwords in plaintext and scripts to pull the password out and pass it through to authenticate with the older Novell system..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Nomex posted:

Also known as side cutters.

That's what I know them as. (UK)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Janin posted:

Because it's a well-designed mechanical keyboard? That's like asking why someone would pay $30 for dinner at a decent restaurant.

The original Model M key matrix has some ghosting issues, if I recall correctly, but I could have that mixed up.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Cock Democracy posted:

Got to love when you go the extra mile for a coworker, followed by them being ungrateful, sending everything on high priority and last minute, then being all "hay when that's going to be done?" 5 minutes after sending in their 1000th oh so super important ticket. gently caress you!

My pet peeve right now is when people put a call in about a problem which they perceive to have previously occurred under the same circumstances, and put AGAIN.

For example, "the printer isn't working.. AGAIN" even though last time it was out of toner, which is completely normal, although we had to log on to the printer to tell them that, because they couldn't read the display themselves apparently. The second time, who knows, I test printed perfectly fine. User error.

"Again" always implies we didn't fix the problem first time, even if it is entirely unrelated, which is downright rude.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Kuros posted:

A ticket came in...

Solution: How are you not dead yet because it seems that your patio is an oven. You should get that poo poo checked out. :psyduck:

I've had my keyboard melt while using it, and it was warm, sure, but not super-uncomfortable.

I was warming my hands using a 60w lamp pointed down at the keyboard. Cue melted escape key and plastic surrounding it, pretty stupid I guess, but my hands were freezing (I was basically outside in winter). Oh, and it was a desktop keyboard, just in case you thought it was a flimsy laptop affair.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Crowley posted:

but otherwise you're expected to speak Danish.

Don't I know it after applying for jobs :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Stonefish posted:

General thought: I would be completely okay with phones that were ~5mm thicker that had a battery that took up the entire rear side of the phone. I figure that'd give you 3-4x capacity.

Yes, yes!

Why the hell are we obsessed with making phones super loving thin, only to put a tiny battery in it.

That, or people buy a super loving thin phone, and then buy a huge and fat gaudy case for it - the mind boggles.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rohaq posted:

Hey man, I like my thin-ish HTC Desire. I just don't like too much pocket bulge, is all.

I have a Desire HD, which is basically the same thickness. I'd still like it if the battery was larger.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against making devices thin and compact, but sometimes (Desire HD: 1230mAh) it seems like battery life is traded off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Be careful. In college my mom sent me 2 bags of Kit Kats. I ate them in 36 hours. The next week I had diabetes.

It was probably the best 36 hours, though.