Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

bob arctor posted:

Then you have the the completely schizoid user submitted ticket:

Man, I love timecube-grade crazy tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Griz posted:

one of the few good parts about supporting the foodservice industry is that the customers are required to have good password policy, either by law (HIPAA) or industry regulations (PCI compliance).

How does food service intersect with HIPAA? Is this for a hospital cafeteria?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

borrowedladder posted:

"Syncing records" will now go right up there along with "sending emails" and "calling my broker" as euphemisms for a trip to the men's room.

"I need to see what Brown can do for me."

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Kraxor posted:

I used to work the helpdesk for a fast food chain, I was told it was a computer job, not a fryer/back freezer/malt machine/phone line/anything else but computer job. Some of the gems I had couldn't be topped at any other job I've had.

POS support was hellish -- I did some in my college days. stores would try to save a buck by putting their terminals on a regular circuit instead of a UPS/ grounded circuit, and inevitably, the fryer/ icemaker/ whatever kicking up would draw enough power to make a terminal crap itself. The terminals were Token Ring, and it was common to have a counter stooge uncap the end off the a BNC for no reason, resulting in every terminal making GBS threads itself, or a cable would get melted because it was in a raceway under a salamander or a steam table or god knows what.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Full Circle posted:

So THAT'S why you bastards always give me that line. Clever.

"now unplug it and look for scorch marks. They indicate a power overload on your (power cable/ ethernet/ usb/ etc)" People never questioned it when it was checking for electrical fires.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

guppy posted:

God dammit you stupid motherfuckers I do not know how to fix everything electronic do not ask me why your TV is getting bad reception

Also people who can't grasp that IT has specializations in itself: I am a programmer, I can't really explain the intricacies of the networking burrito to you; please stop hectoring me about this topic you've latched onto.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Spazz posted:

However, we do have some truly obnoxious users.

:argh: "I have TENURE; what do you mean there's a limit on my e-mail?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Midelne posted:

I like this story.

everyone loves a happy ending.