Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
F4rt5
May 20, 2006

ProjektorBoy posted:

If you want to bring in a personal device and be power-conscious about it you should just bring in USB powered devices :v:
It's weird that helpdesk people would need space heaters. Techies are fuelled by coffee. Coffee keeps you warm. This is all they should need!

e: ^^^ How we struggled with keeping people from sending PRIORITY 1 CRITICAL tickets. In ITIL and any sensible organisation (these two are often mutually exclusive) these are reserved for "HALP THE SERVER ROOM IS ON FIRE" type priorities, not some printer jam snafu.

On an unrelated note, the last couple of years I learned a thing about Germans -- they love their titles and will not hesitate to get PISSED OFF if you neglect the fact that the person you are communicating with is a doctor in some field and SHALL BE ADDRESSED AS SUCH, YOU IMPOLITE PLEBEIAN!

Sorry for the caps lock. The aforementioned support stint drove me to drinking. No lie.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

What I hated the most doing 3rd line / semi-management level of support for a mobile payments company was the fact that when 1st line is being flooded with hundreds of calls and emails from people who cannot add their favourite funding source for some reason or other, or the system somehow sends <amount you want to pay> to the merchant but deducts <amount x 10> from your account... when this happens EVERY TIME a new version is rolled out by development -- that of course forgot to mention that oh, new version rolled out today -- and the agreed safeguards are ignored somehow time after time, it's infuriating and insanely depressing, leading to a total loss of respect and pride in your company and colleagues.

The only thing that can alleviate such frustration is lots of alcohol and eventually quitting.

1st line can at least just send poo poo upstream for others to handle. When the poo poo ends up on your desk and nothing helps desperation sets in.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 7, 2009

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Jorath posted:

My HTPC bluetooth keyboard/mouse like to take turns failing. The mouse once failed to connect after multiple attempts and reboots, and finally connected once I began the conversation with support. Maybe getting on the phone made it work.
I've never seen a Bluetooth implementation that's just working under XP or Vista, ever. And I've tried most cards / keyboard setups out there. I think someone earlier in the thread said pretty much the same thing. Manufacturers of Bluetooth equipment (especially the USB dongles) just don't know how to write a decent driver for their stuff. It can be the most reputable supplier of USB stuff or other computer equipment ever; their Bluetooth stuff will still suck no matter what.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

Note: 5S request is something for keeping the workplace tidy. All moves and such are usually done by the maint department.
Pardon me for being Stupid Customer #3 but the ticket should have been left open and, if possible forwarded to the correct people since it is, no matter how low a priority, a thing that needs to be done.

You can always explain the reason why this and that ticket has not been touched in a couple of months to your boss in the weekly meetings. Closing it because you can't deal with it right that instant seems... I dunno, unprofessional.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

chutwig posted:

Yeah, you spent 3 years and got your JD, good for you. I didn't get where I am by being an idiot either, yet you find yourself treated that way because you don't get to stick Esquire after your name.
You can, esquire is not a protected title so stick it on there if you want to.

It will make you look like a tool like all the other esquires though.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Nuke posted:

Aha, it turned out that she meant 'corrupted.' And I couldn't. The document in question was garbledygook for one page that included some other .doc and .tmp file names in it, and then included seven pages of ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ.

I'm guessing she pulled the jump drive out while it was still saving the word file, but I am a little :psyduck: on this one
It could also just be corrupted due to shoddy manufacturing, thus the MTBF being much lower than it should. Especially if being used as a Vista cache drive or, instead of copying the file, quicksaving directly to it all the time while working.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Stonefish posted:

I correct people on this about three times a month. Then they ask me what it's really called... and I don't have an answer.

It's not the case.
It's not the CPU.
It's not the computer.
It's not the hard drive.
What the gently caress is it?
It is the computer. The computer is the CPU, memory etc crammed into a case. Input and output devices, like a keyboard and monitor, are optional.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

To beat it into the heads of users the meaning of an Urgent (Priority 1) ticket (the servers are on fire/drowning/stolen), every time such a ticket is entered into the system everyone that has anything to do with disaster control should be robo-called instantly. Which usually means the support team, IT ops, finance, CEO and eventual spokespeople.

In addition, the lights in cubicle farms should be dimmed, red lights should be turned on, and a loud voice should blurt out: "ATTENTION! The infrastructure to support our business is non-functional due to $TICKET_BODY"

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Hex Darkstar posted:

Been seeing a lot of DHL and USPS delivery notices recently. They usually get caught by our spam filter but they've been able to get them by here and there. Luckily McAfee has most of the backdoors that they're mailing out in their definitions so I have a "List of Shame" that i've been keeping track of in our malware detection history. I can see people saving the zip (USPS_Delivery_Notice.zip etc..) to their desktop then trying to extract the .exe compressed within it :doh:

The biggest IT mistake of the last fifteen years is Microsoft deciding to hide file extensions by default in Windows 95. And, after the .jpg.exe tricks surfaced, keeping that default.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I hate vodka but there's always an exception — vodka that's not supposed to taste nothing. A gin-like vodka, if you will.

http://www.bestinwine.com/shop/Debowa--Polish-Oak-Tree-Vodka-750-Ml-p-6498.html

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The place I'm required to be at these days, a job seeking course (due to a long period of unemployment), uses WYSE terminals, Windows is very much locked down and wipes on reboot; you can use a USB flash drive for storage in Windows but you can't save stuff to it from IE etc. It presents itself as "Floppy Disk (Z:)" with a subfolder "D" which then contains your data. The girl in front of me:

:downs: Can you see other persons' CV's on the system?
:eng101: No, that's not possible.
:downs: But this person (points to another person's CV on her screen) goes here, I'm sure!
:cool: I guess there's a flash drive connected. Did you open it from a flash drive?
:downs: No there's not! (points to the two USB ports in the front) The machine's haunted!
:eng101: Where'd you get it from?
:downs: I don't know it was just there! *points to Explorer showing "Floppy Disk (Z:)"
:cool: There must be a flash drive connected. Lemme take a look *reaches behind and pulls out drive from rear USB port.*

These are loaner flash drives for people who don't have their own. They never bother deleting anything before returning them.

The setup here is horrible; you can use Office and only Office to print. No printing from IE. Fun for me who uses Google Docs. Oh, you can just save it to flash and open it in Word? No, no downloads allowed from IE.

I ended up bringing my own laptop - there's no wireless but the Ethernet ports are wide open.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

On a separate note I have been asked to source 6000 laptops. They need to be a certain model and preferably refurbs. Where the gently caress do I find 6000 laptops, identical and refurb?
You hit up the manufacturer and ask? I bet with an order of 6K you could get the price of factory new ones down past refurb level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

rolleyes posted:

...what? How is where you use your laptops any of their business once they're in your hands? And how could they possibly enforce that?
I guess they're trying to make more money. If you press on with asking why, I assume they will use an argument about not wanting to be a part of circumventing customs. The real reason, of course, will be that they make more money if you purchase the laptops in the country they are to be used.

At least I think HP computers are more expensive in the UK than the US.

e: Or maybe not. I haven't checked UK prices but in Norway, expensive country extraordinaire, it's usually $ x 10 no matter the exchange rate (usually 5.5~7) but now a HP ProBook 6360 4GB/128GB SSD is actually cheaper here (8995 NOK) than from the US ($1800 x 6.05 = 10900 NOK).

Strange.