Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Got KarmA? posted:

Oh my god, that's loving amazing.

Was this user terminated entirely or did they simply have their support revoked?

Destruction of property is generally something that can easily lead to termination. If I were a management position in that company, I'd can her rear end immediately when I heard of this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Got this in my inbox today:

quote:

Hey [Phuzion]!

The new reeko printer that u guys put in our dept today is distractng. When it prints papers, it makes a horrible sound for a long time b4 the paper comes out. I have an hp printer at home thats much quieter, could i bring it in and have us use that instead?

Ok, the printer we put in was a Ricoh Aficio 8100. A big beast of a printer for a small office. When I asked this girl to print a test page so I could hear the "horrible noise", she prints the test page and she says "oh my god do you hear that". It was the sound of the printer warming up before printing a page. I asked her what her "quieter printer" was? An HP Photosmart of some sorts. Nevermind the fact that the Aficio does: duplex, tabloid size paper, 45ppm, and holds about 2 reams of paper. She wants to replace a $2000 printer with her lovely little Office Max printer that she probably got for $120. For a department of 15 people that print paperwork pretty much all day. This department goes through a ream of paper in about a day and a half or two days. We would end up spending more on ink for the HP than on the entire Ricoh within a year.

And despite the printer being in clear sight of her cubicle, she is too loving lazy to look at it and see how to spell the brand name.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

n0manarmy posted:

Is it "Space Heater Season" for anyone else?

Yes.

quote:

[Phuzion], come check this out, my plotter, scanner, and copier all died, but my computer is still on, I think something just killed all of them at once. I don't think the power is out either, since the lights are still on, too.

I start freaking the gently caress out, because this is about $20K worth of equipment in total. If it's all fried, we're basically hosed, because its the only real plotter and scanner we have in the office. In addition, it's the only copier in the building that is capable of scanning any size paper in the building, all the way up to 36" rolls for drawings.

I arrive to the scene, to see that the circuit is out in this particular room, but the computer is still going. Why? This lady has a UPS and didn't even know about it. I flip her breaker back on, and tell her that the space heater she has is pulling too much electricity, and she either needs to move it to another circuit, or get rid of it.

Later that day, maintenance sends out an email to the entire company saying that space heaters need to be approved by their managers before being plugged in, because apparently breakers were tripped over 15 times in one day.

Hey, let's pull 60 amps through a 30 amp circuit!

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Yeah, we disabled all of that except for people within the IT department, the president of the company, and the two VP's. People were mass-emailing loving coupons for MCDONALDS to our entire company.

Yeah.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Casao posted:

So, not really a ticket, but we've got someone on site at our datacenter so we've been ordered to set off alerts to check reaction times.

I'm getting paid to break stuff :unsmith:

It's better than learning 3 months down the road that you don't have anyone that knows how to fix something. At least you guys are testing your failure-readiness.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Richard Noggin posted:

Must have been grisly.

I had a meeting with a prospective client the other day. They want us to roll out an Exchange server for their 600 users. Instead of waiting until the meeting before opening their wallets, here's what they purchased:

(1) HP DL180 server. 1 quad core processor, 2GB RAM.
(1) 500GB SATA drive
(1) copy Exchange 2007 Standard
(1) copy Windows Server 2003 Standard

He wants to limit each user to a mailbox of 20MB - "they can archive the rest on their local machine" he says.

What's wrong with this picture?

First of all, they're at least 4 gigs short of RAM, but that's something that's easily changed down the line.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Midelne posted:

This was an excellent diagnosis and I commend you on the resolution.

I've had this before from my mom.

"Firefox keeps opening hundreds and hundreds of tabs, I'm not even touching the computer"

"Mom, move your coffee cup off of the F1 key and I guarantee it will stop."

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Lum posted:

Rambus could theoretically be sold in that exact quantity IIRC.

In reality, no-one ever did, and no-one bought Rambus anyway.

Pssh, I beg to differ. We have a half-dozen or so machines left with Rambus.

gently caress. That. poo poo.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Just had a user come to my desk and tell me that their Spamihilator program isn't running in the task bar.

I go look at his computer, and what do you know, it isn't.

Guess how I solved this one, guys.

Seriously.

loving guess.

I double clicked the "spamihilator" icon on his desktop

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

coyo7e posted:

You could be helpful rather than insulting, and drag that desktop icon into the startup folder.

It already starts up with Windows. The only possible way for it to have closed was for it to have 1.) crashed, which I have never seen (I've watched it download 800 emails, filter 95% of them as spam, and do so in less than 2 minutes. It's robust as hell) or 2.) been manually closed by the user.

I'm 99.999 with a line going over the three nines percent positive that he closed it.

Also, he should be aware that the spamihilator icon on his desktop is directly related to the spamihilator application that he uses for email filtering.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Accipiter posted:

...the hell?

:10bux: says he was talking about the port on the printer, which is usually USB type B.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Ok, so here's one for all of you guys.

About 5 or 6 years ago, my company renovated the 3rd floor of our building, and built offices up there, to replace the offices that were on the first floor since the 50s. When the offices were moved upstairs, the incoming phone line had to be changed. It's fine and dandy, we have our 12 lines coming into a Norstar PBX system, which works fine. Our phone lines come in over a T1 from XO Communications, which is also a backup for internet. We also have cable service coming in as our primary internet with a phone backup.

The T1 goes down every single time it rains. Literally, if the rain leaves a puddle in the parking lot, the phones will go down. Guaranteed. We've had AT&T and XO on site 4 times in the past two weeks (because AT&T owns the lines), and no one can figure out what the problem is. The AT&T tech told me that our PXB was crashing and to get our PXB vendor on site to fix it. We call the PXB vendor, the guy comes out, checks it, says its fine. Phones crash again, we call XO, the tech tells our receptionist that he sees the problem, calls AT&T to schedule a tech out to fix the problem. The guy comes out, looks at the lines again, and says that it's the PBX.

We're writing to PUCO (Public Utilities Commission of Ohio) and the BBB to hopefully get this issue resolved. However, from what I have heard, we might not get much of anything from AT&T for a while.

We just want our god drat phones fixed.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Midelne posted:

No, but Rod did give me a screenshot (printed out, handed to me) about forty-five minutes ago of Windows Police Pro notifying the user of various imaginary file infections. He made sure to tell me that he'd deleted as many of the files mentioned as he could find. Turned out he'd done this by deleting the folders that the imaginary file infection were in.

Fortunately, System Restore was able to fix the damage Rod did to the computer. The malware itself is annoying, but trivial in comparison. Every time I start wishing he'd do his job he comes up with a way to remind me that it's really not in anyone's best interest for him to do so.

I'm meeting with the district manager on the 14th to discuss him. It'd be sooner, but the DM is out of town again this week. He didn't seem all that surprised that I wanted to discuss him, so we'll see whether that means he thinks Rod is useless or thinks I'm a malcontent.

This should be your prime example of why Rod shouldn't be working in any IT field. If he falls for fake antivirus popups, he's putting company data at risk, creating a liability. Also, who wants an IT supervisor that doesn't know basic stuff like "If a program you've never seen before suddenly pops up and says you have viruses, it's probably a virus".

Also, going in and just deleting random files is generally a bad practice.

I wish you luck, Midelne. Hopefully you can show your superiors Rod's incompetence and get him canned and a promotion out of this. If you go to the same bar that he does (remember, all IT folks drink), you might want to start finding a new place for your booze.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

sanchez posted:

If they've not used it all that much, getdataback will probably find them.

Recuva is another option.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Ok, to everyone who has posted the "I get a word document with a picture pasted in it" tickets, I may have just found the grand-daddy of them all.

I got a ticket in from a user today. He had an error message pop up on his screen. He hit his print-screen button, which is mapped to actually print his screen, believe it or not. (We actually have a software package that makes a key do what one would think it does) After printing out the screenshot, the user writes some notes on it, draws arrows pointing to places he clicked, etc. He then decides to fax this upstairs to the multifunction copier. Rather than saying "Go pick up the screenshot on the copier," he comes up, picks up his faxed copy, original nowhere to be found, and scans it with the same multifunction that he faxed it to. He then proceeds to email this to me and him, goes back downstairs to his office, prints out a copy on his printer, and comes back up to my office, leaving a copy on my desk.

On the bottom of the copy on my desk, is a scribbled note that says "you should have a copy of this in your email".

It probably took 30 minutes to do all of this.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Yaos posted:

They broke their phones by turning the hands free/mute button into the pickup for the first line and now it's the user's fault, but it's okay because they told everybody this is how it works. Could you guys get away with that at work? Just tell everybody you know it's wrong, but it's okay because you know it's wrong.

They're Nortel phones. Every button on the phone pops off easily for replacement and customization, and 99% of the time, they come with a pack of buttons pre-printed with stuff like Transfer, Conference, Park, Handsfree/Mute, Line 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, etc.

The logical thing to do would be to just go and swap out the buttons.

What doesn't make sense to me is why you would effectively eliminate the handsfree button, because they get used quite a bit, at least at my work.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
At the place I used to work, we had an issue with the fax machine where a client had some sort of computer-based fax system, where they could just take a PDF file, punch in a fax number, and send it without going to the fax machine. Apparently this thing crashed HARD, and began piping data to our fax machine in ASCII form.

These guys have a copier/fax that holds about 10 reams of paper or something like that.

We came in in the morning, and the copier was beeping and flashing an "Out of Paper" message, so we were surprised, as the receptionist had refilled the fax machine the night before. We come around to look at the output side of the machine and what do you know, there's 10 reams of paper wasted with awesome ASCII bullshit.

I seriously considered getting it bound for shits and giggles, and titling it 'The Fax From Hell'

Unfortunately, they just recycled it (but not before I grabbed about 2 reams worth to keep in my desk for doodling paper and to hang in an office).

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
"Hotel tango tango papa colon forward-slash forward-slash whiskey whiskey whiskey dot foxtrot alpha sierra tango sierra uniform papa papa oscar romeo tango dot charlie oscar michael."

Or even worse:

"Hotel tango tango papa, ok now hold down the shift key and press the key directly to the right of L as in Lima..."

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Nah, I start from the bottom left and draw upwards to the right.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Ryouga Inverse posted:

Also no one really gives a gently caress unless it happens again and if it starts happening again then we'll be way better equipped to 1. fix it again faster and 2. figure out what the gently caress is going on.

I mean, you can spend time figuring out the root cause but what if it was just a transient issue anyway?

Root Cause Analysis here is generally met with my printout of the following page, and saying "throw a dart".

http://bofh.ntk.net/ExcuseBoard.html

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Look into a full-disk encryption solution for the next netbook you get for him. That way, if the system is lost or stolen, there's no need to worry about changing passwords.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Sturmtiger IV posted:

While I like having companions nearby, there are some downfalls to sharing cubicle estate with non-IT. I find that common sense is often eschewed in favour of enlisting my services.

User: I think my computer is affected by a virus. No matter what program I open it scrolls all the way down continuously.

Me: OK, well, lets take a look at that...

(Remove the corner of the keyboard depressing the number pad Enter key)

User: Oh!

I love diagnosing the classic "(insert application here) keeps opening hundreds of help windows. What's wrong?"

"How's your coffee today? I bet your mug thinks the F1 key is pretty drat comfortable to sit on."

"Oh, hey, I think I fixed it on my own."

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
On the subject of hardware inventory, can anyone recommend any solid, cheap or free (FOSS is preferred), hardware inventory system? Preferably something that I can make awesome barcoded labels for. We have a Brother P-Touch label printer that I can hook up to my PC and make sweet barcodes with, and I'd like to inventory the hell out of my building. There's so much crap at work, we have no idea what any of it goes to, and it's irritating. Some machines aren't on our domain (don't need to be, and honestly, shouldn't), and they aren't kept track of with our monitoring software.

My ideal setup would be this: New item comes in, gets barcoded, info gets put into the database, and then gets put on the network. Annual inventory to ensure that the database is up-to-date.

Oh, and something that can track software installations as well would be loving AWESOME. We have NO IDEA how many copies of Office are licensed properly. Yeah, SpiceWorks does a decent job of going through and seeing what is installed where, but it's not the best. I swear I'm doing my Windows 7 and Office 2010 licenses as Open Business.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Midelne posted:

It's not my ticket, but there's an email in the public folder I set up for customer service at one of our sites berating them for having a customer service rep rude enough to not give out our employees names and home addresses. Sure, hey, it's been at least three or four weeks since our last phoned-in death threat, time to start handing out personal contact information again, right?

The only people that have any of my personal contact information are the president of the company, the two VPs, and one supervisor on third shift. If anyone else is going to want to get in touch with me outside of work-hours, the company will have to buy me a company phone. Which may be happening very soon.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

ErIog posted:

I had a similar issue yesterday when I was explaining DNS propagation to one of the users. One of our web guys made a snafu with one of our domains that left a few people in a lurch with emails to them bouncing, ftp's not working. The woman didn't believe me that we had fixed everything we could fix, and that we just had to wait for the fix to propagate around the

Maybe we need to wait for this post to finish propagating through the SQL slaves before it shows up in its entirety.

EDIT: Oh, hey, there it is.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

CitizenKain posted:

We had a Qwest tech walk into a branch, change the encoding on the T1 smartjack, and then leave, saying it would be up as soon as he got the CO. Took 3 DAYS to get service restored, as AT&T and Qwest couldn't seem to figure out how a T1 would show up, but have thousands of errors on the line and not pass traffic, so they kept pointing fingers at each other.

This is why it's extremely important to have some kind of availability monitoring on your T1's, because you can then begin using your SLA to your advantage. "Your service became intermittent at 12:46 PM, completely went out at 12:54, and was not restored until 4:47AM four days later. Per our SLA, please credit our account $maximumamountpermittedbycontract."

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

AutoArgus posted:

We're making this exact transition right now, and sofar, its been very smooth and people are actually pretty enthusiastic about it (Because the box exchange is running on is maxed out on upgrade capacity and still runs like junk (I wonder if being 6 years old with no replacement budget is why?)). The only problems we've had sofar is the occasional duplication of folders/labels from the tranisition sync or maybe someone not being able to get at a shared calendar quite the same. Its also exposed some people's horrible lack of knowledge of how email works ("Because we're moving to google, does this mean I can get my blackberry on email now?" :confused: )

Call Google and ask them if they can set you up on BES just to hear their reaction.

We just brought Exchange in-house a few weeks ago, and so far, I'm loving it. Just a few things here and there to take care of as we finalize the dropping of our old mail provider (Yahoo), and then we will be drat near entirely in-house for IT stuff. The only two things that I can see that would be provided from an outside source would be our backup server, and our web hosting (which gets something like 400 hits per month), which is currently not even functioning.

But yeah, I like the ability to do my own spam filtering. Since Monday morning, our spam filter has picked up 75864 messages, 69441 of which were outright dropped (as superspam, aka SpamAssassin score of 20 or higher), 4186 were quarantined, and 2237 were passed. Just in case you were wondering, the math on that says that we drop about 91.5% of the spam before users will even have any idea that it existed. Monday (the first REAL day that Exchange was the ONLY system running email to us), I got 5 calls saying "Did you do something to the email system? I get so much less spam!"

Oh yeah, if you were wondering which application I use for spam filtering, it's the Spam Blocker app in Untangle. It's fantastic. I know a guy who runs an MSP, doing email for about 3 dozen domains, and he picks up about a million messages a day on it. Outright blocks 98.4% of mail coming into his server, from what he told me.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Pantomime Horse posted:

this reminds me of a client who, in trying to allow appropriate ftp access to their various virtualhosts, decided to:

# chmod -R 775 /var/

then filed a ticket the next day "can't ssh plz halp."

it's too bad we can't fire clients.

You can, but it's stupid, because they're your source of revenue.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

PirateDentist posted:

My place has a small production line, little conveyors and the like. The techs had to wear ties for the first 5 years it was open. One of them that still works here said his tie did get caught in a belt once. It's all business casual now, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wear a tie in that place. I'll bring OSHA up if they ever try to pull that crap again. Do they actually have rules about that? I don't really know, but I bet the threat of calling them would do the trick.

I'd consider getting a necktie caught in a conveyor belt a hazard. Call them up and anonymously report an occupational hazard if they try it again.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

brc64 posted:

Victory is mine, yet I somehow don't feel very victorious.

Victory is yours. Sit down, pour a glass of something, and bask in the small but definitely existent glory of helping a user.

Simon Travaglia would be so disappointed in you.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

go3 posted:

that could also be construed as sensitive info and you need to print it out on your own personal laserjet 4005

I think I need a personal Oce VarioPrint 6320.

That should print things quickly enough for me, right?

Oh, and I might need a bigger office for that.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

d3rt posted:

Guys, is dual screen (dual 19" square or wide) now considered standard in your companies?? Because some users are really pushing for 22" widescreens if not dual 22"... and we're a god drat start up in California!

I'm one of three users with dual 19" widescreens. I got started with a single, grabbed a second out of our spares stash. One user had two when I started, and a second user ran two machines parallel (old 2000 machine and new XP machine while we were in a software transition where the two pieces of software were reliant on the OSes they were on). I let him keep both screens when we pulled the 2000 machine.

Everyone else has 1x monitor. One user has a 22", everyone else has either a 19" widescreen, or a 19" 4:3.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Arsten posted:

The problems with BlackBerrys aren't the blackberrys. It's the BES and other poo poo that goes with them. Even the sync software completely blows goats. But the Blackberrys themselves are generally well built, intuitive, and simple to use. I love my 8830 with a passion.

However, to set it up on BES, you have that annoying activation BS. Does it really need to take upto two hours to download 128k of settings on a 3G network? Apparently.

The worst is when you DON'T have BES like me, and have all email set up through the OWA connector. Then, BIS goes down (aka, the service that all non-BES Blackberries get their email through), like it has two or three times in the past couple of months, and people get on your rear end about this, but you literally can't do ANYTHING.

"Seriously, all BlackBerry email for the entire country is down" sounds like a cop-out to execs. I seriously had to have a conference call with RIM, T-Mobile, and two execs from my company so they would actually believe that BIS was down.

Then they saw that it was covered on the nightly news, and they were like "Oh. You were right."

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

minivanmegafun posted:

I imagine it's just the original design of the beast.

Early BlackBerrys were essentially pagers that read email, and RIM's servers were responsible for the conversion to something that was more friendly to the pager.

As for why they haven't changed it since, well, it's not (horribly) broken, PHBs everywhere still buy the stupid things, so why fix it?

Because it would reduce the cost of running the systems like that? Support IMAP directly rather than through a RIM server, and things would be fantastic.

Also, ActiveSync would be loving amazing, but nope, that's never going to happen since BES is a HUGE moneymaker for RIM.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
Too true.

Now, here's the thing that REALLY pisses me off:

We have Exchange 2007 running in Server 2008 in a 2003 domain and 2000 forest (AHHHHH NUMBERS) (We just haven't bothered to upgrade our forest functional level to 2003 after the removal of our old 2000 DC).

We can't get BES without a dedicated server. Yes, that means in order to get BES, or even BPS (BES Lite, aka Blackberry Professional Software), I have to not only buy a license for the software (Which I would gladly just stick on my Exchange box, as we really only have 2 BB users in the entire company), but I also have to either build or buy a 2003 box because BPS is not certified to run alongside Exchange 2007 on a Server 2008 environment. Sure, it's supposed to get certified sometime this year, but jesus, these two products have been out HOW LONG? (Server 2008 is closing in on two years and Exchange 2007 is about 3.5) You mean to tell me that you couldn't at least get this WORKING in the only real environment people would consider running 2007 in?

nene posted:

Screw RIM.

Took the god drat words out my mouth.

(Did I overuse parenthesis in this post, because I kinda feel like I did (despite the impossibility of said occurrence))

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Harry Totterbottom posted:

The same can be said with building access keys. If I could get rid of mine I would be so happy.

I just happened to get a set dropped on my desk one day.

"What are these for?"

"Oh, just in case something breaks during non-office hours, you can come in and fix it."

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
On call 24/7, but if you call me, it had better be a loving show-stopping issue. As in, SQL database is down, or some other mission critical system.

If it's not that, and you call me about it, I basically respond with "I'll deal with this during business hours"

I've had to do it, too. I got a call for application support at 2:30 AM on my personal cell phone (god knows why anyone even HAS that), and that has effectively ruined everyone's chance of getting non-mission-critical poo poo taken care of outside of business hours. Internet's down? I'll switch the primary link from the Road Runner link to the T1, that's about it.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Accipiter posted:

:ughh:

Punch them in the face please. It's for the good of humanity. If they don't understand what they're getting into, they shouldn't be in it.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Who the hell do you turn to to fix this problem if the company that runs the servers shrugs and tells you to get bent?

The person who signs the checks. "$company has reps that are being unreasonable, and unwilling to solve a major problem. My professional opinion is to call them and advise them that you two will cease to continue business relations with them if the problem is not resolved within a reasonable timeframe. A reasonable timeframe for this situation is $x (days/hours/minutes/seconds). If you DO wish to stop doing business with them, here are alternatives:"

And in the business world, email is considered just about top priority, at least where I work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

ErIog posted:

Got on of the craziest drat line of questions I've had in the 6 months I've worked in IT so far.

Guy: Do we have Norton 360 here?
Me: We have Symantec Endpoint Protection instead.
Guy: Okay, alright. Good then. I told the guy at Staples that I thought we had antivirus here, but I just wanted to be sure.
Me: Wait, is this a company machine or a personal machine?
Guy: It's a company machine. I took it in there because it was a little slow, and I had a coupon for a free PC Tune-up. They said they found 2 viruses on there, and said it was going to be $99 for them to get it back to factory condition. I agreed because I had a $30 coupon so it would have only been like $60 bucks. They called back and said they weren't successful in putting it back to factory settings so they weren't going to charge me.
Me: You realize that I can work on that machine, right?
Guy: Yeah, but you weren't here, and I had a free coupon. I can't get on the internet at all now, but I can still get email. If you want to fix it then it's in the office now.
Me: I don't think I'll be able to do it today, but I can get to it early next week.
Guy: Alright.

Dude took a company machine off-site to a Staples to try to get it tuned up. My mind is completely blown.

Take the machine, image it, and say "Sorry, the machine has been outside of trusted hands by the company, for data security purposes, I had to wipe and reload the system. We can't trust non-approved contractors to work on company equipment."

Then disable boot from CD on the BIOS, and put a BIOS password on it. Possibly a "For technical support, contact Company X Help Desk at (xxx) xxx-xxxx ext. xxx" sticker on the bottom, too.