Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«144 »
Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Are there any other better ways to download my iCloud library to my MBA other than individually click on each file I want/all the music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

This works on Apple Music songs, not sure about your own:

Song view, select all, right-click, choose Download.

You also get the download option if you right-click a playlist in the sidebar.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Anya posted:

Are there any other better ways to download my iCloud library to my MBA other than individually click on each file I want/all the music?
Under Purchased at the bottom of the iTunes Store in the Music category, you can see a slightly more navigable overview of your music to help you pick out what you want.

Automatic Downloads only works for future purchases I imagine.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

I have some MOD packs Ver 1.1~1.4 nude pack

I'm sure this has already been brought up somewhere over the last 144 pages, but never forget that content providers can remove or "modify" content at will rendering your purchases null and void:

Apple Support posted:

Yes, thank you for the information. We reviewed the album and Iím sorry, it appears that the original album you purchased was already removed and modified. This is the reason why itís no longer showing as purchased. I understand this isnít the answer youíre looking for and this wonít cover the songs that are missing, but we gave your Apple ID 5 song credits that you can use to download 5 songs of your choice. For time to time, content providers can remove or modify their contents, iTunes Store is only a venue for them to sell their products and we canít control them if they need to update or make changes on their products. With this, itís advisable to make sure your purchases are saved and backed up on your computer or external hard drive.

Was trying to figure out why itunes was only re-downloading 2/10 tracks off of this album that I purchased ~6 months ago (that continues to be sold on the store with the exact same tracklist) after upgrading to a new phone. Turns out it was removed and re-added at some point during that period of time and basically I can just go gently caress myself because an ID in their database changed.

Never buy music digitally, the convenience isn't worth this kind of arbitrary fuckery. Thankfully I did have this one backed up on another desktop.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Isn't the lesson just "don't rely on Apple as your backup"? I can't imagine how the circumstances would have been any different if you'd bought a CD and hadn't persevered the "source."

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

Isn't the lesson just "don't rely on Apple as your backup"? I can't imagine how the circumstances would have been any different if you'd bought a CD and hadn't persevered the "source."

I think there's a fairly big difference between owning a tangible product that I can do what I want with (including losing it) and "owning" digital content, but I'm not sure that falls within the scope of an iTunes thread. For the most part I'm fine with the limitations of buying music and games digitally because it's more convenient than dealing with physical media. When those purchases can just vanish from my account one day without a trace it negates that convenience, and the way it was handled just strikes me as being very sketchy (zero notification, no evidence within my account suggesting I had ever had access to these tracks -- I had to dig up the original email receipt to reassure myself that I had actually purchased them).

In my case I had a backup -- not necessarily because I was concerned about this scenario, I just happened to have iTunes on that PC set to auto-download purchases -- so ultimately I didn't lose anything besides confidence in Apple/iTunes. But is the average person making purchases though iTunes carefully backing up their local library? Or are they operating under the assumption that their digital library lives in the cloud and that their iTunes account *is* their backup? When I upgraded my phone and chose to wirelessly 'backup and restore' to the new device, only a limited subset of that content was actually transferred over. The rest (including the music library) was just re-downloaded from the store, so it isn't like their own infrastructure doesn't give the impression that it's treated like cloud storage.

Maybe I'm just being pissy about something that the T&C for just about every digital distribution platform claims can happen, but it's clearly handled better elsewhere. When a license expires and a title is removed from the Steam storefront, that title is still associated with your account and can be re-downloaded from their servers at will. All traces of its existence don't just suddenly vanish from your library and purchase history.

business hammocks
Aug 20, 2006

Total Clam

Iím an average person who definitely keeps multiple backups of everything because I donít trust Apple for poo poo.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

business hammocks posted:

Iím an average person who definitely keeps multiple backups of everything because I donít trust Apple for poo poo.

Between the multiple backups, (justifiable) paranoia, and the fact that you're posting on an IT subforum, I think you might have a slightly more generous definition of "average" when it comes to technology competency.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IUG posted:

Nah, this is like my first time ever having this problem. I think it started with iOS 11. Otherwise it synced (wirelessly even!) whenever I would plug it in. I sync like twice a day (before work and after work).

My phone will randomly resync 5000+ songs, which can take an hour or more. If the resync gets interrupted, then I will have 1000s of songs missing from my iPhone. It is pretty annoying, because my iPhone is 256GB and music is only 55GB. It should never have to resync anything. As far as I can tell, if I don't have Wi-Fi sync enabled, this will happen every single time I sync my phone. iTunes also presently shows my phone having about 800 songs more than I actually have in my library, all of which seem to be leftovers from iTunes Match that will not go away. Last time I checked, it was close to 1500.

I also have some bizarre problem with iOS not displaying accurate metadata when browsing, but if I 3D touch or play a song, then it's perfectly fine. The first screenshot is an example of what happens if I interrupt a sync (songs listed, but greyed out), as well as showing every song name as "[FLAC]" for some reason, even though that is no where in the metadata.

So yeah, iTunes syncing is pretty lovely, but iTunes Match is even worse...

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Toe Rag posted:

My phone will randomly resync 5000+ songs, which can take an hour or more. If the resync gets interrupted, then I will have 1000s of songs missing from my iPhone. It is pretty annoying, because my iPhone is 256GB and music is only 55GB. It should never have to resync anything. As far as I can tell, if I don't have Wi-Fi sync enabled, this will happen every single time I sync my phone. iTunes also presently shows my phone having about 800 songs more than I actually have in my library, all of which seem to be leftovers from iTunes Match that will not go away. Last time I checked, it was close to 1500.

I also have some bizarre problem with iOS not displaying accurate metadata when browsing, but if I 3D touch or play a song, then it's perfectly fine. The first screenshot is an example of what happens if I interrupt a sync (songs listed, but greyed out), as well as showing every song name as "[FLAC]" for some reason, even though that is no where in the metadata.

So yeah, iTunes syncing is pretty lovely, but iTunes Match is even worse...

That "[FLAC]" issue may be because you have that language in the grouping tag. Click the arrows next to the song name and view it as a work . I'm not sure if it's the grouping tag, but you should see the term in the metadata from that view.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Whoa, thanks. That was driving me crazy, because I couldn't find FLAC anywhere in there. I didn't know about that work/movement tag. I wonder how that was ever filled out in the first place? It certainly wasn't by me, and most of this music I've ripped myself. This only started happening this year, so I am guessing Apple decided to make Grouping related to classical music, or something. I like to put the country a band is from in the Grouping tag. I guess I'll just have to make sure the Work tag is empty when I'm done.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

snack soul posted:

I think there's a fairly big difference between owning a tangible product that I can do what I want with (including losing it) and "owning" digital content, but I'm not sure that falls within the scope of an iTunes thread. For the most part I'm fine with the limitations of buying music and games digitally because it's more convenient than dealing with physical media. When those purchases can just vanish from my account one day without a trace it negates that convenience, and the way it was handled just strikes me as being very sketchy (zero notification, no evidence within my account suggesting I had ever had access to these tracks -- I had to dig up the original email receipt to reassure myself that I had actually purchased them).

In my case I had a backup -- not necessarily because I was concerned about this scenario, I just happened to have iTunes on that PC set to auto-download purchases -- so ultimately I didn't lose anything besides confidence in Apple/iTunes. But is the average person making purchases though iTunes carefully backing up their local library? Or are they operating under the assumption that their digital library lives in the cloud and that their iTunes account *is* their backup? When I upgraded my phone and chose to wirelessly 'backup and restore' to the new device, only a limited subset of that content was actually transferred over. The rest (including the music library) was just re-downloaded from the store, so it isn't like their own infrastructure doesn't give the impression that it's treated like cloud storage.

Maybe I'm just being pissy about something that the T&C for just about every digital distribution platform claims can happen, but it's clearly handled better elsewhere. When a license expires and a title is removed from the Steam storefront, that title is still associated with your account and can be re-downloaded from their servers at will. All traces of its existence don't just suddenly vanish from your library and purchase history.

yeah the average person needs to be more aware that the price they pay for convenience with these services is making the definition of 'owning a copy' of something even more dubious. at least you can back up the music you buy from most online stores; with video the copies you own never leave the watchful eye of some cokehead executive somewhere.

tbf at least with streaming services there's a generally understood consensus that you're paying for the service, and that the provider has ultimate control over what is added and removed.

Mordecai Sanchez
Jul 21, 2009

In the past, I primarily listened to music through mp3 files on my iTunes. In the last year, I've switched to 100% streaming through Apple music.

My problem is, I bought a new laptop. And upon adding all my tens of thousands of MP3 files to itunes (my big mistake), it synced it with my Apple music. Now Apple Music on my phone is a mess: There's hundreds of albums that show up blank (bc they're not on Apple music) or I'll download an album... only to find it's already on my phone and now there's an album with duplicates for every songs.

I don't mind removing everything BUT the stuff I added through Apple Music (AKA not the mp3s I added). Is there a way to do this? Do I turn off iCloud? I never use iTunes on my laptop for listening; solely Apple Music through my phone.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apple's the only digital media provider I've used that will outright remove poo poo from the cloud. Never had it happen with Steam or Kindle or Amazon, had it happen multiple times with music from the itunes store. Sometimes the entire album disappears as if you've never bought it, other times they're 'generous' and only remove 1-2 random songs.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

No solution, but Amazon's done this to me. Went back to restore some previously bought albums and a few tracks had been pulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mordecai, this may be a helpful starting point.

Go into iTunes on your laptop, go to song view, and if necessary add the column called ďiCloud statusĒ (add by right-clicking the column headers and choosing a new column). Songs that show up as Matched or Uploaded (or Purchased) are yours. Apple Music songs will show Apple Music in that column. Waiting means a failed sync at some point.

That may give you some info (for instance songs it canít match or upload may show up as Ineligible) and you can sort and batch select from there if you want to delete stuff.

On the phone side, Settings -Music - toggle iCloud music library off then back on a little later to ďrefreshĒ your library on the phone.

«144 »