Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Does iTunes store whether or not you've "loved" a track as an ID3 tag or in the library file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
iTunes wiped my entire library, possibly because my Apple Music sub ended?(!)

Anyway, is there a way to restore my library without downloading everything? I just want to stream my purchases, not download them and take up space on my HDD.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Just got a new Macbook Pro. Now about 25% of my songs that had been uploaded to iCloud are greyed out and can't be played. I authorized the computer and updated
Match. Ideas?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Does iTunes store whether or not you've "loved" a track as an ID3 tag or in the library file?

Library file.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Chris Knight posted:

Library file.

:argh:

At least they work with smart playlists.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Well, like a lot of things, it's optional metadata that doesn't apply outside the application itself.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I still get this weird issue where iTunes keeps wanting to sync my artwork all the time when I sync my music. Is there any way to stop this? Should be one and done, no? Once the music is in with the artwork, it shouldn't need to do that anymore.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Try power-cycling your phone right before you sync. Pain in the rear end but that's the only way I could stop it from clobbering all my artwork every time I added new music, which then triggered a reload of all the artwork the next time I synced.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Either that, or tell iTunes to sync none of your music, sync to remove it all, and then tell iTunes to sync all of your music again. Hopefully re-writing all the files will stop it. I don't think I've had that problem before, but forcing iTunes to upload all the music again might help it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell the only way to change the order of songs in an iCloud Music playlists appearing on your phone is to manually drag tracks around. You can't sort them by album, track no., date, random, etc, even if the playlist is sorted that way in iTunes on your computer. This is some major bullshit for a smartphone music app in 2016.

withak fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 17, 2016

mappertyst
Aug 18, 2006
I like to know what song I'm listening to without having to open iTunes. I also don't like having the mini-player always on top of whatever other window is open.

Is there any kind of application, plug-in, or whatever they are called at this point that would allow me to view the current artist/song in a small viewer in the taskbar or system tray?

Operating on Windows 10.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
In addition to it's primary purpose (tracking what you listen and showing recommendations), Last.fm's scrobbler does show the current song in the tray and shows a small popup whenever it changes.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

My husband has recently been having a problem with his iPad, when he plugs it in and tries to sync it with our computer he gets the message that "the iPad could not be synced because this computer is no longer authorized for purchased items that are on this iPad." He has tried authorizing our mac mini repeatedly following the instructions given but gets the same result. After looking up fixes online I have tried the following 1) Signing out and signing back in of his iTunes account (2) De-authorizing and reauthorizing just the mac mini (3) De-authorizing all computers and reauthorizing the mac mini (4) trying to force it to since by changing music on the iPad (5) deselecting the "manage music manually setting" and then hitting apply.

He tried erasing the iPad's connection to the old computer we used to have and syncing it with the new library on the mac (even though syncing with this mac wasn't an issue until a few weeks ago.) Now he can use his iPad but it isn't registering on iTunes.

So far none of these fixes has worked, and he only uses one account so anything on the iPad was purchased using that one ID, so we are both at a loss as to why this keeps happening.

EDIT: Removing the connection between the iPad and the old computer and re-syncing it with the library on our mac mini worked, but now he lost all of these important pages and books he had on it. Any advice on how to avoid this happening in the future?

Opera Bitch fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 28, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the best way to have my same iTunes library on multiple computers and have iTunes keep track of the correct playcounts and stars/likes etc?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
iTunes Match seems to do it for me*, but according to the internet it doesn't work or updates slowly (e.g. once a day) for other people.

* I don't do stars, and I don't look at play counts often. I'm talking once every couple of weeks at best.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

iTunes Match seems to do it for me*, but according to the internet it doesn't work or updates slowly (e.g. once a day) for other people.

* I don't do stars, and I don't look at play counts often. I'm talking once every couple of weeks at best.

And if I don't want to pay for Apple's buggy rear end poo poo music services?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Then find something else? Match is $25/yr, and I'm pretty sure you have a 30-day refund policy.

I'm not too impressed with Apple Music either, but Match has been rock solid for me for years.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
iTunes has forgotten how to do gapless playback for me on Windows 8. Oddly, the audio gap usually seems to come like a second or two before the real end of the song's duration. I can't remember when this started and I'm not sure if it's consistent across all my music, but has anyone ever figured out a way to correct this? Isn't it some kinda problem with the library files or whatever?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to transfer music to my phone from iTunes when iCloud Music Library is enabled without having to disable iCloud Music Library and redownload everything it's deleted? I would like to put some songs onto my phone that are not available on Apple Music.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 15, 2016

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I have had my iTunes library on my laptop since the iPhone came out. Now I want to move to a different computer; I remember in the past there was some fancy editing to do so that you could sync your phone/tablet and have the device overwritten.

Now it looks like I can just install itunes on the new computer, copy via external drive or network my itunes folder, and then point the new install at that library, and it will be fine (in that it won't see the device as a new device) - de-auth the old laptop, and done.

Is it really this simple?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Escobarbarian posted:

Is there any way to transfer music to my phone from iTunes when iCloud Music Library is enabled without having to disable iCloud Music Library and redownload everything it's deleted? I would like to put some songs onto my phone that are not available on Apple Music.
I was under the impression that iCloud Music Library automatically matched up the music on your phone and desktop, in the style of iTunes match. It matches stuff on your computer to Apple Music, or uploads tracks that aren't on the service for your own personal access, as long as your library is under 25,000 tracks total (which I'm assuming yours is, if you're using iCloud Music Library in the first place). Is that not the case? Like, you lose traditional syncing, but it becomes moot because your entire library is available for streaming on your phone.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 15, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

IUG posted:

Either that, or tell iTunes to sync none of your music, sync to remove it all, and then tell iTunes to sync all of your music again. Hopefully re-writing all the files will stop it. I don't think I've had that problem before, but forcing iTunes to upload all the music again might help it.

Unfortunately any fix I've seen so far doesn't work. It's still trying to sync the artwork for 2210 songs once every few days.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Somewhere in your iTunes library folder there is a folder for your artwork. Maybe trash it, let iTunes get the artwork again, and then sync that?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For what its worth, I finally decided to email Tim Cook about how unruly iTunes has been for me over the years. I've been getting myself to use the default Apple apps for some time now, to great success, but iTunes (and Maps, unrelatedly) have been exercises in patience.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

I was under the impression that iCloud Music Library automatically matched up the music on your phone and desktop, in the style of iTunes match. It matches stuff on your computer to Apple Music, or uploads tracks that aren't on the service for your own personal access, as long as your library is under 25,000 tracks total (which I'm assuming yours is, if you're using iCloud Music Library in the first place). Is that not the case? Like, you lose traditional syncing, but it becomes moot because your entire library is available for streaming on your phone.

If it does do this, I don't know how to get it to happen. I'm using iCloud Music Library so I can save Apple Music tracks to my phone for offline listening. I don't want it to replace the music I already have on the phone with streaming Apple Music songs at all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It depends on what you mean exactly by "transfer music to my phone from iTunes".

If you mean do an explicit "plug the phone into your computer and tell iTunes to sync music" while still being able to use the iCloud music library download functions, then no, I don't think you can do that (but to be honest I've never tried).

If you mean, like Minidust mentioned, using your Apple Music subscription to match/upload your (PC, iTunes) library, then on your phone go to My Music and download your songs to your phone by tapping the download icon, yes you can do that.

edit: for info for those who missed it, sometime last autumn Apple changed the upload limit for Match/Apple Music to 100,000 songs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you mean do an explicit "plug the phone into your computer and tell iTunes to sync music" while still being able to use the iCloud music library download functions, then no, I don't think you can do that (but to be honest I've never tried).

You can't.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never synced music from iTunes. I just drag and drop the songs onto my phone in the program, but now I can't even do that. That's what I want to be able to do.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Escobarbarian posted:

I've never synced music from iTunes. I just drag and drop the songs onto my phone in the program, but now I can't even do that. That's what I want to be able to do.
For that, you'll have to disable iCloud Music Library on both the device and iTunes itself. If you've been using Apple Music, its functionality will now be limited to searching and streaming discrete content, since there's no unified library to "Add Music" to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok so there's no fix to my issue. That's total bullshit and I have no idea why Apple would implement such a feature. Not everything is on Apple Music.

Brand new issue! I bought an album on iTunes on my phone but it will not show up in my Music library there. It finishes downloading the tracks but then I just go straight back to 'Purchased' and it's still asking me to download them, as if it hadn't just done that. So I download them again, check my Music library and it isn't there, then go to Purchased and the download option is there again.

edit: if I go to Purchased while the songs are downloading I can literally see them finish and then the Download icon appears instead of the Play button

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Don't have an answer to your second question, but Apple Music was actually really good at recognizing, uploading, and integrating any music that I had that wasn't in Apple Music (compare to Spotify, which is heinous). It sounds like you're more frustrated with the syncing process, but that's a little different than how the system treats local files.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But I don't use the sync option. I like to have more control over what I put on my phone from the computer. Are Apple basically punishing me for this?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes, they're punishing you for being a dork. :v:

But seriously, it's set up so that you either use the iCloud library, or your local library -- not both.

As a side note, if this bothers you (you being anyone) do yourself a favor and never turn on iCloud Photo Library. That setup takes the "one library" idea to the extreme.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok so there's no fix to my issue. That's total bullshit and I have no idea why Apple would implement such a feature. Not everything is on Apple Music.

You are no longer making your hard drive your master library, so it's not where syncing will be done from. You can and should be uploading your full music library to icloud (up to 100k songs) and have all devices sync from there. This will defeat the "Not everything is on Apple music" bit. The purchased issue sounds like a call to Apple. There is no end goal you're trying to achieve that can't be done with these services, it's just a different means.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This is more of an Apple Music question than iTunes specifically, but maybe someone will know.

I often add an album to my library before it's released. The album will be listed in my library, but if I click on it all but 1-2 (or however many singles) will be greyed out. All that is expected.

When the release date arrives, I would expect it to start allowing me to play the other songs, but this never seems to happen. I have to delete the album from my library and re-add it.

Anyone else seen this issue? I wonder if there's some option I turned off by accident that would impact this . . .

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I have a lot of MP3s that came with low-res album art. I deleted the art and used iTunes' Get Album Artwork feature to download some good versions. My problem is that, every time I look at them again, the artwork has reverted back to the low-res versions that I deleted. Is there any possible way I can make iTunes actually delete the lovely versions forever and keep the good ones?

I'm using Match (iCloud music library?) and the actual files I have now are the matched AAC versions, if that makes any difference.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've deleted album artwork directly by selecting all the files, get info, going to Artwork tab, and deleting the artwork. That should remove album art from the embedded tags. To add back album art as tags I have to copy-paste the album art into that field.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I figured it out: deleting the album art through iTunes wasn't actually removing the jpg from the music files. I guess when iTunes noticed the low-res art was still there, it would display that instead of the new hi-res version.

I fixed it by deleting the art, then removing the music downloads, and then downloading them again through iTunes. It seems to have completely nuked the old art, and now everything is fine.

necrobobsledder posted:

I've deleted album artwork directly by selecting all the files, get info, going to Artwork tab, and deleting the artwork. That should remove album art from the embedded tags. To add back album art as tags I have to copy-paste the album art into that field.

This is how I expected it to work, but it didn't for some reason. Maybe it's because I selected the album instead of the tracks when I opened the info window? Either way, I found a solution that worked and now I'm done playing with iTunes quirkiness.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 10, 2016

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Sort of an iTunes question - does anyone know how Apple Music works with moving countries? My telco is offering a free 12-month subscription to Apple Music which I'm thinking about taking up, but I'm about to go travelling full time for the next few years.

Will I only have access to the library of the country I'm travelling through (eg if I'm in Indonesia will I only have access to the Indonesian catalogue), or will I only ever have access to the Australian catalogue since that's where my iTunes account is located?

Google doesn't seem to be much help on this front :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You would have access to the catalogue associated with your iTunes account country (Australia). If you change the country associated with your iTunes account later (maybe to get some Indonesia iTunes store specific app) it will automatically cancel any active iTunes store subscriptions (for apps or apple music).