Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks for making this post, because I keep thinking I should check out MediaMonkey, and if it can't Smart Playlist, it's not ever gonna be an option for me.

It can. It just isn't as robust in terms of nested criteria, etc., and is generally more kludgy. If you just need "5-star songs by X artist/genre/year," it's worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Probably not possible but worth a shot.

I subscribe to apple music. I use itunes 12.4 on my mac.

I want it to never play the "clean" version of a track and always play the "explicit" version. Whenever there is a playlist that is "for you" it usually has a mix of both.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How does podcast syncing work in iTunes? I'm signed into the same iCloud account on both my iPhone and iTunes, but despite subscribing to a bunch of shows on my phone there's nothing in iTunes.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

EL BROMANCE posted:

How does podcast syncing work in iTunes? I'm signed into the same iCloud account on both my iPhone and iTunes, but despite subscribing to a bunch of shows on my phone there's nothing in iTunes.

It basically doesn't in any sort of reliable fashion, especially if you care about syncing playback position. Pay the couple of bucks for Overcast (no OS X client but has a web app that works well enough), you'll be much happier. Downcast also has syncing, and a native OS X app, but it also relies on iCloud for the sync, and I found that to be maddeningly inconsistent too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Was just looking through iTunes and couldn't work out why nothing was appearing. I tend to listen to podcasts on my phone 99% of the time so it's no massive worry, but nice to have everything working as expected!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I started out managing podcasts on iTunes, so they do show up one iPhone, but only once I've selected them to do so. The app itself (which may be out of date for you since I am on an old iPhone) seems to absorb those subs as well as have its own subscriptions, which iTunes seems to ignore.

When I started using the app after a hiatus it was a race to keep it from auto subscribing and downloading a thousand podcasts I used to have an only pay attention to my current iTunes subs.

It's pretty dumb design.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Do you have iCloud Music Library turned on in iTunes? I've never had an issue with iTunes syncing Podcast subscriptions across devices wirelessly. It even remembers my place in individual podcasts across devices, so if I start listening in iTunes, I can continue to listen on iOS.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Is there anyway to change the "Recently Added" layout they introduced in the latest iTunes? The old version had all my recently added songs in a long top-to-bottom chronological order playlist. But now it just shows the album art and if I play an album, it stops once that album finishes instead of going into he next. The rest of my library (artists, albums, songs) is listed in chronological order without album covers but I can't figure out how to change it for recently added...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm away from my computer to check if this is the same, but in the playlist view I use the most they changed the layout from a drop down that was always visible in the main window, to now being in the View menu. I find the default setting isn't for me whenever I make a new playlist, so I use it a fair bit.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Is there anyway to change the "Recently Added" layout they introduced in the latest iTunes? The old version had all my recently added songs in a long top-to-bottom chronological order playlist. But now it just shows the album art and if I play an album, it stops once that album finishes instead of going into he next. The rest of my library (artists, albums, songs) is listed in chronological order without album covers but I can't figure out how to change it for recently added...
you could always just add the "Date Added" column in the default songs view, and then sort by that. Not sure about Mac iTunes, but I think the Windows version achieves what you're looking for through that method.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My Itunes (on Win10) has started adding track numbers to the title of imported songs

After a bit of a gently caress-up, I had to reimport all my music library from my iTunes-managed library into a fresh install.

About 10% of the albums will use the file name for the track name - and as iTunes added track numbers to the files when moving/managing them, I have albums where each song name has an '01', 02' prefix.

Here's the odd part: checking the metadata in Windows (also MusicBrainz) shows that the song name is correctly written to the 'Title' field. Deleting and reimporting the album shows the same issue

WTF?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So the TERMS AND CONDITIONS changed today, I have to accept them and pledge my unwavering allegiance. When I try to do so, I get ITEM NOT AVAILABLE. Is this because EVERYONE'S doing it at once or is something actually broken?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You're using iTunes to power a nuclear reactor, aren't you? It knows.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

carry on then posted:

You're using iTunes to power a nuclear reactor, aren't you? It knows.

SO WHAT IF I AM? Need my nuke jams.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I'm having a weird iTunes issue (OSX 10.11). In artist view, play order for tracks is bugged. It displays correctly in the library, but once I hit play, the "up next" queue is completely hosed. (Shuffle is not turned on!) Depending on how I select a track to play, I get a completely different play order:

If I double click on a track to play it, it queues up the rest of the artist's tracks backwards, with the albums out of order. For example: If I double click the first track of one album, the next track it plays will be the last track of a different album, and then the second-to last track of that album, etc.

If I hover over the track number and press the play button that appears, it queues up a bunch of unrelated tracks from my library that I think are in the order that the tracks were added to iTunes, but I'm not certain. This same behavior happens in album view. (Is this intentional for some reason?)

I hover over the album cover and press that play button. That will play the album's tracks in order, but not any other albums (which is probably by design).

The only thing that works as expected is to double click on the artist name itself on the artist list, which queues up all of the tracks in the correct order.

I started noticing this issue about a week ago and it's still a problem with the new update that just dropped. I don't have Apple music.

What the hell?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"Unable to connect to iCloud Music Library" x 100000000000

Why do I upgrade these things on day one again?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I just upgraded to 12.5.1 on windows 8.1, now the only artists in the sidebar that have a thumbnail photo are ones where I"ve made a purchase from Apple. Everything else is a garish rainbow microphone thing. Previously (I forget which version, I put off upgrading for ages) artist I hadn't purchased from apple had a piece of album art as a thumbnail.

iTunes being iTunes I can't really tell if this is a bug, a new lovely design decision, or an old lovely design decision I've missed out on for lack of updates.

Edit: While I'm complaining, man I get that the custom color theme algorithm would produce garish or hard to read themes depending on the album cover in question, but endless blank white is really fugly in its own right.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 13, 2016

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I miss the the colorful backgrounds generated from album art in album view. :sigh:

I hate it!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Snuffman posted:

I miss the the colorful backgrounds generated from album art in album view. :sigh:

I hate it!

Is it a stark white now, or something even more unwanted, like each album now has an embedded Apple Music web page that slides out with recommendations and ways to share on social media?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

doctorfrog posted:

Is it a stark white now, or something even more unwanted, like each album now has an embedded Apple Music web page that slides out with recommendations and ways to share on social media?

It's white, and each album art is now a couple inches on a side so there's gigantic expanses of white at that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jesus Christ, stop burying song rating selection in menus. I liked being able to click on "..." and having the rating right there. so I could quickly rate a song. Now I have to go into "..." --> Ratings to rate it, even in the mini player now. :argh:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Has anyone else been using their iOS 10 phone to play music today? I noticed that if I told a song to start/stop late/early, it no longer does so on the phone. I'm at work, so I don't even know if the custom start/stop times are missing from iTunes either.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IUG posted:

Has anyone else been using their iOS 10 phone to play music today? I noticed that if I told a song to start/stop late/early, it no longer does so on the phone. I'm at work, so I don't even know if the custom start/stop times are missing from iTunes either.

I've had nothing but problems with iOS Music today, mostly around bluetooth controls not actually starting/stopping songs like they're supposed to, or if I queued up a song, then a playlist, played through the individual song then a few items form the playlist and hit "back" on my bluetooth headset it would go back to the individual song not to the song immediately previous to the one I was playing in the playlist.

So loving confusing.

This feels like a beta.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Snuffman posted:

Totally agree.

"Let's just arbitrarily take away features that users like!", laughed Tim, "Because we're Apple!".

< executive team fistbump each other >

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I've had nothing but problems with iOS Music today, mostly around bluetooth controls not actually starting/stopping songs like they're supposed to, or if I queued up a song, then a playlist, played through the individual song then a few items form the playlist and hit "back" on my bluetooth headset it would go back to the individual song not to the song immediately previous to the one I was playing in the playlist.

So loving confusing.

This feels like a beta.

When I went home last night, I found that iTunes was playing the tracks with the start/stop time properly, so this is apparently just Music.app. I could go into a little rant about how ugly it is now (and apparently broken), but not in the iTunes thread.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Finally got prompted to download the new iTunes update. As someone that's posted about this issue in the thread before without much luck with the workarounds, does the update finally get rid of that absolutely lovely Syncing Artwork to iPhone thing that keeps happening despite me having my artwork on my phone already?

EDIT: Every single time it does this, a few of my songs get messed up and it makes my phone go all out of whack for awhile.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 19, 2016

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Sierra has added to my previous problem. if I use Siri to play an album, it "shuffles" the tracks. I use scare quotes because it doesn't actually turn shuffle on, like it does if you ask Siri to play an artist, and the tracks are shuffled in the exact same order every time you play the album.

Googling "iTunes play order bug" hasn't yielded anything, and I'm wondering now if my copy of iTunes is just hosed. It's really annoying to have to keep track of which methods of playing music work as intended and which don't. Is there some way to possibly fix this, even a nuclear option?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I just tested it and it seems to play it from the beginning and in order, but it always streams it from Apple Music even if I have the exact same album locally, even if I have it downloaded from Apple Music in the first place. It's really stupid and somewhat annoying.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've got a few hundred artists, and approximately ten of them have pictures here; it's mostly just microphone icons all the way down. I see no rhyme or reason for what gives an artist a photo as opposed to the icon, except in most cases the ones with photos have been purchased more recently than others. What gives, and can I fix it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If I create a new itunes library on my local drive for streaming, and one on my external hard drive for local media (but same laptop), can I log into Apple Music and everything in both libraries?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there a way to make iTunes play unsubscribed podcasts in order from the "feed" list? Am I missing an option or is it really designed so it plays them in reverse order?

E: Goes for the iPhone Podcasts-app, too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had to use 12 to backup my old phone/activate my new one, and holy balls does the interface make no goddamn sense.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Something's happened to my iTunes library in the last couple of days (maybe since updating to 12.5.1.21, can't remember if the issue happened immediately or not). All my content (songs, films, playlists etc.) is still fine, but any view customisation such as column width / visibility / View As settings has been reset to default. If that was the only issue, that'd be fine but I've just discovered that my carefully organised (imported) films and TV shows have been dumped back into Home Movies and all the manually entered metadata has vanished.

I use Time Machine so I'm hoping I can just retrieve something that'll reset all this. Don't know what, though. Any advice?

EDIT: Ah, it's maybe not as bad as I thought, changing the media kind seems to restore all the series / episode number stuff that I thought was lost. Can probably just do this in bulk.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 2, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you've got items in your playlist, is there really no way to switch to "Repeat 1 song"?

I have four items in my "play next" list, but there's no UI thing to go into repeat-1 mode. Moreover, when I go to Controls->Repeat->One that doesn't seem to do anything. It just switched to the next song after this one was finished.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Repeat One doesn't seem to be an actual mode any more - if you select it on one song it just puts an infinite number of copies of that song into your Play Next, if you hit clear on that then the song doesn't repeat.

So in terms of that it can't be used if there's other items in the list.

No, I don't know why

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That seems to echo my experience, thanks.

There have been bizarre design decisions associated with iTunes but this is the first one that I honestly don't "get". Then again I haven't paid that much attention to it lately.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
On my iOS devices, My Top Rated songs are in reverse alphabetic order. Can this be...fixed?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can someone suggest the simplest way to move an iTunes library from one PC to another while retaining ratings/play counts?

just reading the article on apples support page and it suggest to perform a backup which involves also consolidating files by moving the library to a new location - all the files are already running from an external disk because the old PCs hard disk was full, so I dont feel like I need to do that step - correct?

I was thinking I could export the library, import to the new machine, and then copy all the files off the external disk into the default library location and then, letting it re-map to all the files again by locating a single file.

my only concern is that the old machine is a Vista/Centrino2 laptop and I fear it'll go 'not responding' for a lot of the process if I leave iTunes to handle too much of the legwork.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
If all the files are already on an external disk you could probably just copy the library file over and open it with iTunes assuming the drive letter is the same between machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iTunes Match?