Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

If all the files are already on an external disk you could probably just copy the library file over and open it with iTunes assuming the drive letter is the same between machines.

yeah, but I want to shift all the music off the external disk onto the internal disk, since the new laptop with a bigger hdd was the major push to buy a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Laserface posted:

yeah, but I want to shift all the music off the external disk onto the internal disk, since the new laptop with a bigger hdd was the major push to buy a new one.

As long as your library is consolidated (all the files are in your iTunes Library folder) you literally just have to move the folder. iTunes will ask where the hell the library went when you relaunch it, and you can point it at the new folder. (If it doesn't ask - sometimes it just makes a new library in the default location - you can hold the shift key while you launch iTunes and that will prompt it to ask.)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cool. For the most part, they are all in that folder. There is a few outliers that she added to iTunes without the external disk connected which futzed things up a bit but I can add those in later.

Moving forward, I am assuming the best method for managing music is setting up iTunes as a 'black hole' of sorts? ie telling iTunes to manage music and copy to the iTunes folder, then just drag/drop into itunes?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Consolidate the library and set iTunes to automatically manage the files before you move the library. I don't know what will happen if you try to move the folder otherwise.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone having issues with up next not working when you're playing a radio station? It seems as if any song I put into the up next queue just sits there while the radio station keeps its songs.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is "Automatically Add to iTunes" completely bugged for anyone else? When I put tracks in there, I'll get anywhere from 3 to 8 copies of it showing up in the library, and the actual files aren't getting moved into library folders. I've made sure "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" is still checked. I've been able to use this for literally thousands of albums so I'm assuming it's a problem with the new update (Windows 10).

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Automatically add seems to work fine for me, but I can't even do it now, thanks to having the iTunes Match crashing bug, where any time iTunes tries to match a new track it crashes in about 30 seconds. I hope they fix this soon, it only got introduced in the release a week or so ago, and yesterday's update didn't fix it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The app store wants to update my iTunes to 12.5.3 over and over again. Anyone else having this?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apple broke my new music workflow. For years, I've used a smart playlist to show tracks with a play count of 0. As I listened to those tracks, I would then use star ratings to highlight the stuff liked. iOS 10 broke that workflow by removing star ratings from the Music app. I just realized I could use iTunes on my work Mac, but now I find that while it syncs star ratings back to my other devices, for some goddamn reason it doesn't sync play counts. Any idea why it would sync one but not the other? What the gently caress? Why can't things just work. :(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think play counts have never synced.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Play counts have always synced, I have many playlists that rely on that. I'll have to check tonight/tomorrow to make sure what I'm listening to now at work increases when I get home. But I have movie tickets for tonight, so I may not get to that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Minidust posted:

Is "Automatically Add to iTunes" completely bugged for anyone else? When I put tracks in there, I'll get anywhere from 3 to 8 copies of it showing up in the library, and the actual files aren't getting moved into library folders. I've made sure "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" is still checked. I've been able to use this for literally thousands of albums so I'm assuming it's a problem with the new update (Windows 10).

Schpyder posted:

Automatically add seems to work fine for me, but I can't even do it now, thanks to having the iTunes Match crashing bug, where any time iTunes tries to match a new track it crashes in about 30 seconds. I hope they fix this soon, it only got introduced in the release a week or so ago, and yesterday's update didn't fix it.
Figured out my original problem. Turns out this had to do with user permissions / administrative privileges and all that fun Windows jazz. I think I messed with some folder sharing when going over some media server stuff recently... not positive, but if so that's probably what did it. Or maybe the newest version of iTunes is overly polite with that stuff? Anyway, I've found that if I now start iTunes as an administrator, the "Automatically Add" folder behaves like it used to.

So that weird behavior before was just iTunes seeing stuff in the "Automatically Add" folder... trying to create a new album folder but being denied the permission... adding the stuff to the library anyway, without moving it (because the folder it wants to move it to can't be created)... then, since the stuff is still sitting in the "Automatically Add" folder, it gets added to the library again and again.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Does anyone have information in the iTunes Library XML file is laid out? I'm building a parser for this and I'd like to confirm that albums and artists are always grouped together, but there's nothing out there about the file.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Why does that matter? Any decent parser for a language like XML should not care one bit which fields are next to each other, and just be using the key to determine what type of data each field is.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

GokieKS posted:

Why does that matter? Any decent parser for a language like XML should not care one bit which fields are next to each other, and just be using the key to determine what type of data each field is.
I'm using node to emit parsed xml data as I load it from the xml file for my application and it'd be nice to output artist information more readily than waiting till I've parsed the entire file (which does take some time on a huge library file).

The fallback is, as you pointed out, just waiting till I read in the entire file to have this information which is what I currently do.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 8, 2016

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
You shouldn't have to wait for the entire file if you want it "on-the-fly", as each song has its own key within the Track section, so you can always just have it output after every track.

E: Here's how the Track section starts from a sample XML I exported:

code:
<key>Tracks</key>
	<dict>
		<key>2721</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Track ID</key><integer>2721</integer>
			<key>Name</key><string>fake wings</string>
			<key>Artist</key><string>&#26806;&#28006;&#30001;&#35352; (Yuki Kajiura) (Vocal - Emily Bindiger)</string>
			<key>Album Artist</key><string>&#26806;&#28006;&#30001;&#35352; (Yuki Kajiura)</string>
			<key>Album</key><string>.hack//SIGN ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK 1</string>
			<key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string>
			<key>Size</key><integer>6228630</integer>
			<key>Total Time</key><integer>155637</integer>
			<key>Track Number</key><integer>7</integer>
			<key>Date Modified</key><date>2011-02-19T07:10:03Z</date>
			<key>Date Added</key><date>2009-09-25T08:02:50Z</date>
			<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>320</integer>
			<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
			<key>Play Count</key><integer>892</integer>
			<key>Play Date</key><integer>3561304027</integer>
			<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2016-11-07T01:07:07Z</date>
			<key>Skip Count</key><integer>3</integer>
			<key>Skip Date</key><date>2016-08-02T22:38:09Z</date>
			<key>Rating</key><integer>100</integer>
			<key>Album Rating</key><integer>40</integer>
			<key>Album Rating Computed</key><true/>
			<key>Normalization</key><integer>6081</integer>
			<key>Persistent ID</key><string>96791994BEDB84AB</string>
			<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
			<key>Location</key><string>file:///Volumes/HDD/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/Music/%E6%A2%B6%E6%B5%A6%E7%94%B1%E8%A8%98%20(Yuki%20Kajiura)/_hack__SIGN%20ORIGINAL%20SOUNDTRACK%201/07%20fake%20wings.mp3</string>
			<key>File Folder Count</key><integer>5</integer>
			<key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer>
		</dict>

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 9, 2016

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Yes, but I can't say "You've got artist (Yuki Kajiura) with albums x, y, z" without reading in all albums by an artist. My question being at what point do I know that I've hit all albums for a particular artist and my hope being that the answer wasn't "once you hit the end of the file".

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Oh, I see, you're asking about the entire dict section of a track rather than the artist/album fields within each track. Yeah, there's not going to be any guarantee about that - I think the order is actually based on sort order in iTunes when it's exported, but I'm not 100% on that.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Can you not delete songs from your library if you're looking at it in a playlist? I was trying to delete a song when I was in a playlist but I couldn't get the "Delete from library" thing to pop up unless I was looking at the entire library.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

keevo posted:

Can you not delete songs from your library if you're looking at it in a playlist? I was trying to delete a song when I was in a playlist but I couldn't get the "Delete from library" thing to pop up unless I was looking at the entire library.

it shows up for me in playlist view

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Yes I am reading reading reading and playing around w iTunes and having a few questions about the flow of stuff, especially automation, and how it compares to the Zune software that i'm a bit more familiar with. I have a fairly large library, 500gb or more, mainly accumulated from years of radio DJing. It's all pretty meticulous in folders (d:\music\albumartist - album\artist - title.mp3 for example), and tags and artwork are also about 97% complete. I would very much prefer to keep it in this sort of a structure, since I may use one of several programs to access this depending on task, and being able to find a particular track is a must for editors and Audition, etc. I also still have and use a 80gb Zune- I treat the zune software the same. Because of size, both programs are set for manual syncing, I am OK with this

With the zune software, they're very big on monitoring folders. I can set a monitored folder as d:\music, and when I move folders in there, it updates in the software. If I edit tags on something existing, it updates in the software.
Is this what the "itunes media folder location" option is? Currently set as c:\users\me\music\itunes\itunes media this folder also contains some folders (automatic add to itunes, downloads)

Just tried changing that option to d:\music and it doesnt seem to auto add items i drop into d:\music

My library stays pretty static, so if the answer is "put poo poo where i want it and then rescan", then I can be fine w that for itunes

Am I doing this wrong?

On the playback side of things, I don't have a real pref between the i and Z programs(once things are organized obviously), but I'm also just as likely to navigate to a folder and right click->play in winamp. I'm not so much concerned about playing, I'm open to playlists and smart views and all that and am pretty confident I can find my way around that

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Last Chance posted:

it shows up for me in playlist view

That's weird. It's not showing up for me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

keevo posted:

That's weird. It's not showing up for me.

Ohh it's because yours is a smart playlist. My smart playlists don't have it either. drat

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Shift+Delete (or whatever works in Apple) should work, but you generally can't delete files from a smart playlist.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

IUG posted:

Play counts have always synced, I have many playlists that rely on that. I'll have to check tonight/tomorrow to make sure what I'm listening to now at work increases when I get home. But I have movie tickets for tonight, so I may not get to that.

Did you ever get a chance to test this?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

Did you ever get a chance to test this?

Yeah, they do count up for me. Music I've added and listened to only on my phone has a playcount of one right now.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Yes I am reading reading reading and playing around w iTunes and having a few questions about the flow of stuff, especially automation, and how it compares to the Zune software that i'm a bit more familiar with. I have a fairly large library, 500gb or more, mainly accumulated from years of radio DJing. It's all pretty meticulous in folders (d:\music\albumartist - album\artist - title.mp3 for example), and tags and artwork are also about 97% complete. I would very much prefer to keep it in this sort of a structure, since I may use one of several programs to access this depending on task, and being able to find a particular track is a must for editors and Audition, etc. I also still have and use a 80gb Zune- I treat the zune software the same. Because of size, both programs are set for manual syncing, I am OK with this

With the zune software, they're very big on monitoring folders. I can set a monitored folder as d:\music, and when I move folders in there, it updates in the software. If I edit tags on something existing, it updates in the software.
Is this what the "itunes media folder location" option is? Currently set as c:\users\me\music\itunes\itunes media this folder also contains some folders (automatic add to itunes, downloads)

Just tried changing that option to d:\music and it doesnt seem to auto add items i drop into d:\music

My library stays pretty static, so if the answer is "put poo poo where i want it and then rescan", then I can be fine w that for itunes

Am I doing this wrong?

On the playback side of things, I don't have a real pref between the i and Z programs(once things are organized obviously), but I'm also just as likely to navigate to a folder and right click->play in winamp. I'm not so much concerned about playing, I'm open to playlists and smart views and all that and am pretty confident I can find my way around that
iTunes won't automatically display tag edits you make with an outside program, but once you actually play the track in iTunes you'll see the change. Conversely you can edit a tag in iTunes itself and see the change immediately.

Auto-adding stuff is exclusively a function of that "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder you mentioned. Anything you place in that folder will show up in the iTunes library immediately with tags intact.

There's an option to allow iTunes to manage your files, which I like to use. This affects things like filename and directory structure. So like, if you edit the name of an album in iTunes, the actual folder containing the music files gets renamed too.

If you care about your tags/metadata, stay far away from Apple Music (the subscription service). It has a habit of bulldozing album art to match whatever's on their cloud servers (often with strange choices from left-field compilation covers). But iTunes itself won't take liberties with your metadata, unless you ask it to find missing album art.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Minidust posted:

Auto-adding stuff is exclusively a function of that "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder you mentioned. Anything you place in that folder will show up in the iTunes library immediately with tags intact.

Do folders/files put into this dump folder then get moved to the general itunes media folder, or do they sit in the auto add folder?

I think I'm going to dive in and try to embrace it. I've begun a bit of a re-org of my library anyway. Part of the reason it got so large was doing a lot of DJing and wanting to keep a bit of everything on hand. What I listen to on a regular basis might be about half of that, so I've been moving "good" stuff to d:\music and "bad" stuff to d:\notmusic and then not including the bad location in any of the auto folders. I can still index everythin in the broadcast software, but keep that separate from what I listen to and want to be able to sync to a device. Depending on the answer to the above, this might work pretty dece for the flow

I also noticed that files starting with a leading dot do not get added when the folder is scanned. Definitely not a big deal as I can just rename them without the dot. I blanked everything and was playing with just a few folders worth of tunes. One of them happened to start with .357 and i was like WTF becuase i had 10 folders and only 9 albums were showing up.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Do folders/files put into this dump folder then get moved to the general itunes media folder, or do they sit in the auto add folder?
They get moved for sure if you're letting iTunes keep the files organized. The files show up in folders based on your album artist (or a "compilations" folder if the album is tagged as such) and album title tags.

I've had iTunes managing the files from the start so I'm not sure what happens without that option checked. Maybe it still creates the folders but won't rename things based on future tag edits you make in iTunes.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh why is the sort order a-z then 0-9?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's how it's always been. But if you tell iTunes to use the "Sort by" field, you can get around this. So your 98° can be "Ninety Eight Degrees", and sorted under the Ns.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
My iTunes Library recently emptied. I can't exactly remember what caused it (I *think* it moved out of the Shared folder, where I've kept it for years, to my home folder during an update) but it didn't take much to get things back on track. The one problem is that all my 'Date Added' data has reset to the same day as a result.

I've tried living with it for a week or two but I really miss being able to use Date Added for smart playlists and sorting. I have a Time Machine backup from before the reset happened but I'm unsure how to use it to get the dates back to normal - should I restore all my music files or can I do something clever an index or something?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You should just need the library file. Date Added/Last Played aren't stored in the mp3s themselves.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Because more things are named with letters than numbers.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

IUG posted:

You should just need the library file. Date Added/Last Played aren't stored in the mp3s themselves.

This worked. Thanks!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Mad about colored backgrounds now. Updated to the latest 12.5.3? whatever version and it now looks like every other drat library program. That little bit of color based off the artwork color on the selected album was a nifty touch in the recent/album views. What was the latest version with that, 12.4.latest?

Is there a slider I'm missing somewhere for the album art size in artist view beside gently caress-off huge?
In artist view, the list of artists had icons that were either album covers or stacks, now its just the music note icon. Is this another 12.5 item that reverting to older will put back?

Is all of this a moot point with iOS10 needing this latest version, or are there workarounds?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Did the latest update break the remote app? It pairs but can't find my library

EDIT: nevermind restart fixed it, still have no idea why it broke in the first place though

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 20, 2016

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The latest update will detect of your computer is connected to a Bluetooth speaker, and you can adjust the volume of iTunes independently of your volume for non Bluetooth mode. Works great for me as my laptop is connected to speakers via aux, but I have a Bluetooth speaker on my bedroom for when I want to listen there instead.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Does any suffer from randomly deleted songs? I'm on Apple Music, and songs from albums I add from it will just disappear. Not grey out, just flat out disappear. Or sometimes a track at the beginning of the album will go to the end of the album, or appear in its own album.

I have no idea what causes this but it's been happening ever since I joined and I'm bound and determined to figure this out. I can fix it by deleting the album and adding it again but goddamn that's annoying.

e: like what the gently caress

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I actually had that issue with locally synced stuff without Music. One day half the tracks in my syncing playlist were just gone (original files still there though).

====

Speaking of Apple Music, I'm sure there used to be a dedicated thread but I tried a few forums and I guess it's either dropped off or it's not using the Apple tag.

So I had a trial on one of my accounts ages ago, and I fancied trying it again and on my main account it said I could have a trial (the join screen said 90 day free trial and asked me to choose a subscription type for after this expired). It then said I had to transfer my Apple ID to this device which is locked for 3 months (which means I'm probably locked out from logging into my UK account should I need to now? Which is a bit crappy and pointless) and then everything after this seems to indicate I'm not on a trial at all but have just paid for a month of Music. Is there any where I can confirm this, and request a cancellation if so?