Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm about to unsubscribe from iTunes Match for a while and I'm downloading my library from iCloud to back it up in the meantime. But for no apparent reason iTunes refuses to download random songs and just aborts the download. One or two of the files are corrupted too, apparently. So how do I go about getting these songs downloaded before I lose them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They no longer display the upload-dates of podcasts. Why would you remove that?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
iTunes's ability to toggle multiple broadcast targets (e.g. the original computer and 2 Apple TVs) is really neat. Are there any other Apple products that do this?

Or what about products that at least support the receiving end - I know about Apple TVs obviously, I believe there's one of the Airport products too, anything else?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Minidust posted:

iTunes's ability to toggle multiple broadcast targets (e.g. the original computer and 2 Apple TVs) is really neat. Are there any other Apple products that do this?

AirPlay 2 is supposed to do this with iOS devices as a main draw, but it has been repeatedly delayed :(

Right now iTunes is it for that sorta thing.

Minidust posted:

Or what about products that at least support the receiving end - I know about Apple TVs obviously, I believe there's one of the Airport products too, anything else?

HomePod :obama:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've been an iTunes Match customer for a while now and it's occurred to me that if this subscription ever lapses - or if they end the service, or I have to kill my account for some reason - I'm left with the vast majority of my music sitting out there in the cloud, not actually on any of my devices. Is it crazy that I'm sitting here in iTunes, downloading every artist and album (or at least the ones I like) so that I can put them on a thumb drive somewhere?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

jackpot posted:

I've been an iTunes Match customer for a while now and it's occurred to me that if this subscription ever lapses - or if they end the service, or I have to kill my account for some reason - I'm left with the vast majority of my music sitting out there in the cloud, not actually on any of my devices. Is it crazy that I'm sitting here in iTunes, downloading every artist and album (or at least the ones I like) so that I can put them on a thumb drive somewhere?

I just did that. My Match ends today and I had a few thousand songs uploaded. I read somewhere that it takes 30 days for them to clear them out after that but I doubt that's the case anymore. The lovely thing is that for no apparent reason about a dozen songs weren't "available" for download so they couldn't be listened to or downloaded and two songs were "corrupted" so I lost those.

So yeah, it's a good idea to have local backups of everything you have up in the cloud.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ITunes Match has never been a backup service, Apple says as much. Its purpose is to sync music between machines, not be the only copy of the music you have. If you’ve deleted original library, hen you absolutely should download all of the songs you can locally.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Last Chance posted:

ITunes Match has never been a backup service, Apple says as much. Its purpose is to sync music between machines, not be the only copy of the music you have. If you’ve deleted original library, hen you absolutely should download all of the songs you can locally.
Right, but if I'm using something that lets me have my entire library on demand but not downloaded, that's a backup service. I mean I know what you're saying, and I know why they use that language, but it's not crazy that people treat it like Google Drive, considering they're functionally the same.

At any rate, I'm definitely downloading.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jackpot posted:

Right, but if I'm using something that lets me have my entire library on demand but not downloaded, that's a backup service. I mean I know what you're saying, and I know why they use that language, but it's not crazy that people treat it like Google Drive, considering they're functionally the same.

At any rate, I'm definitely downloading.

For sure, I’ve definitely treated it like that too when I bought a new machine and didn’t want to migrate my crusty old library over when Match would essentially do it for me. So I get it, buuuuuuuut Google Drive is also not a backup solution. It’s a sync solution sorta like Match.

Don’t use sync solutions as backups, or depend on them wholly for valuable data

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 14, 2018

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Minidust posted:

I haven't tried wifi syncing in years, has it gotten any better? I've gotten more finicky with my playlists lately, so it'd be nice if I could just sync changes overnight without going near my computer.

*tries to wi-fi sync*

Looking for iPhone

Stops looking for iPhone and the iPhone disappears from iTunes without giving an error message.

So yeah it’s complete trash.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah it's effectively not there.

I also turned on the feature where your Mac is supposed to download all software updates and seed them to your household's devices, but that doesn't seem to work either.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Regular syncing is garbage now as of a few versions ago. At least with a USB sync I can unplug to cancel. If a Wifi sync hangs, I have to quit iTunes and maybe restart my phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I posted this in the Apple TV thread, but since it's iTunes related, I'll post it here and see if anyone has any insight:

Can someone check something for me? Here's my problem:

Remember how Apple upgraded your HD copies of stuff to 4K if it was available? I'm missing a ton of 4k upgrades. Here's an example: Way back when I redeemed an ultraviolet code for The Dark Knight. When Movies Anywhere did their thing, I ended up with a 4K copy of the movie in my iTunes library. I checked today, and now it's just an HD copy. This happened to a lot of movies I have. The only one that is still 4K is Blade Runner 2049, since I actually purchased a 4K copy through VUDU.

Can someone see if that's happened to their poo poo?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Free 4k upgrades are only for 4k AppleTV right now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah iTunes doesn't do 4k videos.

Dunno if it could even handle it. I'm hoping Apple will eventually separate out movies + TV in macOS as a separate TV.app or something, and give us 4k with a shiny new app. But Idk

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a secret way to get a list of every track I have loved? You can select by "love" in smart playlists but that only gives me 61 songs and I know that there are albums that are loved but don't appear in the playlist.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

withak posted:

Is there a secret way to get a list of every track I have loved? You can select by "love" in smart playlists but that only gives me 61 songs and I know that there are albums that are loved but don't appear in the playlist.

Loved status is local to device as far as I've been able to tell

Of all the bad things about iTunes, it really is the worst loving thing that they don't want us to perform any organization on our tracks

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not even that, I can love a bunch of stuff in iTunes then create the smart playlist and the stuff I just loved isn't there. It does show up as loved on my phone though.

What piece of poo poo. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jesus christ, it turns out that right-clicking on an album and hitting "love" isn't the same as selecting every track on the album, right-clicking, and hitting "love". What a piece of poo poo. :-/

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

withak posted:

Jesus christ, it turns out that right-clicking on an album and hitting "love" isn't the same as selecting every track on the album, right-clicking, and hitting "love". What a piece of poo poo. :-/

It’s possible to love an album without loving every track tho

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

skull mask mcgee posted:

It’s possible to love an album without loving every track tho

It’s possible to care for your family but not love every one of your children

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Arivia posted:

It’s possible to care for your family but not love every one of your children

:chloe:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, they’re literally two different tags. I definitely don’t want every track from a favorite album showing up in a favorite songs playlist.

EDIT: This is unlike how iTunes treats stars, where iTunes seems to think that rating an album means that every track in the album is also five stars.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 29, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently this problem is old: I load my phone with songs by dragging and dropping them from folders on my PC. Once on the phone, every song believes it is part of a unique 1-song album, and some artists don't even appear at all in the artist listing.

Will using the autofill from folder function fix this or do I have to get even more complicated?

also just an aside anyone that attains the 'top rank' on the apple community forums should be culled by a government agency

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wulfolme posted:

Apparently this problem is old: I load my phone with songs by dragging and dropping them from folders on my PC. Once on the phone, every song believes it is part of a unique 1-song album, and some artists don't even appear at all in the artist listing.

Will using the autofill from folder function fix this or do I have to get even more complicated?

also just an aside anyone that attains the 'top rank' on the apple community forums should be culled by a government agency

Check your id tags?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Chris Knight posted:

Check your id tags?
this, and it's often something less obvious, like some songs having the "total tracks" tag (i.e track "1 of 13") and some not.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My new gripe with iTunes is that after carefully sourcing huge clean album art images for all my albums, the thumbnail that iTunes shows in the main window appears to be downsampled to something like 500x500 :(

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

so i just plugged my phone into my laptop to charge it because i didn't have a spare port and it just deleted like half my podcasts from itunes, including some shows that don't have feeds anymore. what the loving gently caress itunes and podcasts apps :sigh:

e: so it turns out even if I download an episode of a podcast in iTunes with 'delete played episodes off', if 'delete played episodes' is on in iOS it overwrites it, just did a test. This is the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard of. I shouldn't have to go into each loving device and manually mark stuff as played on all 3 just because I listened to something on my laptop instead of my iPhone that day. Apparently my phone hadn't been syncing w/ the laptop automatically until I plugged it in.

jfc...

My itunes, with most but for some reason not all podcasts, will delete episodes if I listen to them, even though 'delete played episodes' is turned off on both mac and phone, unless I manually 'save' each episode. I know most people are not as hoarderish as I am, but you would think that a bug that irrevocably deletes your data might be considered a problem?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Uh, how do I fix the duplicates list?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Anything that has the same artist name and track name is a match. It doesn't care about the album. If you already pruned some duplicates, tell it to show the library and then show duplicates again.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
This is after pruning.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You have some tracks that are still the same name. Such as DJ Shadow's "Letters From Home" and The Beatles' "Speech: Brian Epstein". Those are duplicates.

I'm not sure why the Franz Ferdinand is showing up as duplicates too. I think iTunes only does exact matches. I do have other artists with similar remixes, but they don't show up as duplicates for whatever reason. I put remix titles in square brackets instead of parenthesis, but that shouldn't matter.

EDIT: What does it say for the track names under the sorting tab for those songs? Is it filled in there, and are they duplicates in that regard?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

IUG posted:

You have some tracks that are still the same name. Such as DJ Shadow's "Letters From Home" and The Beatles' "Speech: Brian Epstein". Those are duplicates.

I'm not sure why the Franz Ferdinand is showing up as duplicates too. I think iTunes only does exact matches. I do have other artists with similar remixes, but they don't show up as duplicates for whatever reason. I put remix titles in square brackets instead of parenthesis, but that shouldn't matter.

EDIT: What does it say for the track names under the sorting tab for those songs? Is it filled in there, and are they duplicates in that regard?

Well, the two (Letter From Home) tracks have the same name, but are different tracks. Same with the Speeches.

The Franz Ferdinand tracks are sorted by the same name as is given in the track. They are all downloaded from iTunes, if that helps.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, iTunes doesn't pay attention to the files when it considers something a duplicate. Just the artist name and song name. You may need to throw a "#1" and "#2" if you want them to be listed as non-duplicates.

I'm still not sure why those Franz Ferdinand tracks are listed as duplicates. For the reasons above, they shouldn't be tagged as a match.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Maybe old news, but I see that iTunes is in the official Windows store now. Mostly looks and behaves like the standard desktop version, but you get one of those little Windows 10 corner notifications when a new song starts. The onscreen volume overlay doesn't include the current song/play controls like with some other store apps (mostly a thing for laptops I guess) but that's no biggie. I dig it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

People use the Windows store?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

People use the Windows store?

Sort of, people with tablets who don't know a lot seem to be the main audience. If it's something that has notifications and is okay to leave always-running I usually do go looking for a Windows 10 version.,myself (although it looked like the NCAA scaled back their Windows 10 app this year and they're a good mine canary, so I'm not expecting a lot of other apps to go there).

From Apple, you have to read the iTunes download page and click "other versions" to find the x86 version now so this is going to funnel a few people to the Windows store, as well.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rick posted:

From Apple, you have to read the iTunes download page and click "other versions" to find the x86 version now so this is going to funnel a few people to the Windows store, as well.
Yeah exactly, you have to go slightly out of your way to not get the windows store version in this case. Right now I’ve got the x86 running on my desktop/server and the store version on my laptop and it’s working out alright.

I’ve never bought a music video on iTunes before but there’s an old song I want that isn’t available in any other format. I’m thinking I’ll buy the video and just use that to get the audio. Are there a lot of hoops to jump through for that these days, or is the current video format/container/etc fairly easy to work with?

This article would suggest it’s quite easy with a built-in iTunes function, but not sure if the info is still current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Any ideas about what to do about this fresh bullshit?

The tags are all fine, and as you can see the 'now playing' screen knows perfectly well what the songs are called (and the 'Up Next' list is fine too). I've tried removing the tracks and re-adding them, and to be honest I don't even know how to Google for this problem without pulling up home remedies for the thousand other similar issues iTunes and Apple Music has.

I'm just so very, very tired.