Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Minidust posted:

What I'll probably end up doing is liking/disliking individual tracks to tailor my own personal listening, and using stars as more of a popularity measure for use in different "general audience" settings.
FYI I don't think there's any way to access star ratings from within iOS, if that matters to you. It wouldn't surprise me if they get removed entirely from whatever music app replaces iTunes since the like/dislike measure is newer and it doesn't really make sense to have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You can rate songs in the Music app by hitting the "..." button.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You can rate songs in the Music app by hitting the "..." button.
Oh, I’d just disabled star ratings in the app settings :downs:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Minidust posted:

Been :spergin: over my tags lately and I'm finally about to go down the rabbit hole of rating/"loving" songs.

Am I correct in assuming that Loving an album has no effect outside of Apple Music? I've been testing out a smart playlist, and the love/like/dislike (however they label it in different areas of the UI) parameter will work as expected with individual songs, but albums seem to be ignored.

I assume this is the case. The iTunes database doesn’t actually store information about albums, only individual tracks and playlists. What you see in the interface is simply derived from the individual file tags.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Minidust posted:

Been :spergin: over my tags lately and I'm finally about to go down the rabbit hole of rating/"loving" songs.

Am I correct in assuming that Loving an album has no effect outside of Apple Music? I've been testing out a smart playlist, and the love/like/dislike (however they label it in different areas of the UI) parameter will work as expected with individual songs, but albums seem to be ignored.

There's a separate "Album Love" tag/parameter that captures albums. I assume that the recommendation algorithms can read for that as well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Before you waste a bunch of time figuring it out, making a smart playlist for "loved" songs only works if you "loved" the song on your computer. If you "love" it on your phone then you will see the heart icon on every device, but it won't get picked up by a smart playist. Thanks Apple.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, loving a song in Apple Music doesn't add it to your library unlike Spotify/Tidal/etc.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thanks for the tips, I also see now that there's an "Album Rating" field in iTunes that I never noticed before. It doesn't even exist in Song Info but it automatically populates (for every song in an album) if you give a star rating to any individual song. Grey stars for albums, blue stars for songs. Interesting.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Minidust posted:

Thanks for the tips, I also see now that there's an "Album Rating" field in iTunes that I never noticed before. It doesn't even exist in Song Info but it automatically populates (for every song in an album) if you give a star rating to any individual song. Grey stars for albums, blue stars for songs. Interesting.

Actually, grey stars for auto-rating, blue stars for manual rating. If you manually rate an album (which you can only do from the album view, I think), it will automatically rate all unrated songs in that album the same. It's a kind of weird function, but there you go.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

You can rate albums from song view if you have the album rating column displayed.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So I have another problem with video playback in iTunes.

When playing back a video I get a "flicker" in contrast across the screen every so often, this happens at random, but I can trigger the issue manually by moving the mouse to show the video control overlay in fullscreen whereby it then flickers again for a second when the overlay shows and hides.

Anyone know what is up with this ?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What is up with iTunes Match "losing" songs? I had my old Mac's library uploaded to Match perfectly yet on my new PC some songs just can't be accessed for.. no reason. It's only specific songs and I can't spot anything special about them why they'd get singled out like that. Are they just gone now? I can't access them on my phone either.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It happens. Like I had the two solo albums from Marian Gold matched, but when I listened to them a couple tracks were corrupted. A second attempt at matching failed because they were no longer available on iTunes anymore.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone got a solution for iTunes resetting my library folder to default every time I start the program? The recent update didn't fix it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
ripTunes

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Apple is moving decommissioning iTunes and replacing them with 3 different apps. What's gonna happen to Windows iTunes users who have Apple products?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We’ll get 3 lovely new apps for windows!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Howard Phillips posted:

Apple is moving decommissioning iTunes and replacing them with 3 different apps. What's gonna happen to Windows iTunes users who have Apple products?

iTunes was a bloated piece of poo poo even on Mac OS. I'm glad they are getting rid of it. The Windows people will just get a bunch of separate apps now. Apparently the iTunes stuff will stick around for a while though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mfny posted:

So I have another problem with video playback in iTunes.
I had this happen with my Mac (YouTube) and then my Windows laptop.

Something fucky going on with hardware acceleration settings and adjustments with video playback. I had go and redo the brightness/contrast/gamma settings to even it out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/06/answers-to-some-of-your-itunes-questions-old-libraries-windows-and-more/

This answers most of the iTunes worries. Turns out for Windows they will just leave iTunes alone and they have no plans to bring the new stuff over.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Howard Phillips posted:

Probably the same thing we’ve done for years - don’t install any Apple apps on Windows. With modern streaming services I don’t see how desktop apps as bad as the ones Apple makes have any place.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Turns out for Windows they will just leave iTunes alone and they have no plans to bring the new stuff over.

lmao

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was worried that a new Music app for Windows would break home sharing on the older Apple TVs. So kinda glad they won’t be changing it tbh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get the feeling we're all on borrowed time as far as trying to manage a music library on Windows and using an iPhone is concerned though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

and they have no plans to bring the new stuff over.

The article doesn't say that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Apple Music. If an album comes out today, I can go into iTunes and stream it via the For You/Browse tab. If I had added that album to my library pre-release, it's grayed out, which makes sense. But when that album comes out, it's still gray in my library. I have to delete and re-add it for it to show up as playable. What gives?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apple can't seem to make software for playing sounds

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The one thing you can say about the music app is it is way better and more ready for this than the podcast app, which is almost useless. Somehow worse than the iOS version it's a port of. Listening to podcasts on your computer wasn't a thing I did so it's hard to be too mad at it but yeah it's bad times.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Apple Music. If an album comes out today, I can go into iTunes and stream it via the For You/Browse tab. If I had added that album to my library pre-release, it's grayed out, which makes sense. But when that album comes out, it's still gray in my library. I have to delete and re-add it for it to show up as playable. What gives?

Thanks Ants posted:

Apple can't seem to make software for playing sounds

Eddie Cue is the worlds biggest example of failing upward

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Eddie Cue is the worlds biggest example of failing upward

Counter point, roz ho

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Wild EEPROM posted:

Counter point, roz ho

the fact that he's kept the role for this long and been able to use it to hobknob with the best of the best of the musical C-list while thinking of them as A-list still puts him above these two imo

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rick posted:

The one thing you can say about the music app is it is way better and more ready for this than the podcast app, which is almost useless. Somehow worse than the iOS version it's a port of. Listening to podcasts on your computer wasn't a thing I did so it's hard to be too mad at it but yeah it's bad times.
gently caress poo poo, I was stupidly hoping that a standalone podcast app would be able to simply sync podcast episodes and play location with my phone without duplicating them or marking random episodes as Saved or perpetually resetting the view mode or

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

There’s an album I want to buy in the iTunes music store that isn’t on Apple Music — will it show up on my iPhone in my Apple Music Library?

Edit: apparently it’s only available in the Australian iTunes Store :negative:

Edit again: and changing my Store country wiped my library :bang:

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 19, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TACD posted:

gently caress poo poo, I was stupidly hoping that a standalone podcast app would be able to simply sync podcast episodes and play location with my phone without duplicating them or marking random episodes as Saved or perpetually resetting the view mode or

I was having major slowdown issues in iTunes specifically with podcasts (because I download and sync to save on mobile data, plus I travel to places with bad internet a lot) so I was like "well it can't get worse." It does move better than the podcast tab in itunes did but that's about it. And speaking of duplicates, in some cases it created up to 4 duplicates of some playlists, and didn't import others at all. Oh yeah it turns most of your playlists into stations that you can't edit (I tested syncing older devices in finder, and it it works, but you can't edit podcast playlists anywhere so it's just left with the playlists that were there from your last itunes sync, until the hard drive dies I guess).

All this so I can get store recommendations when I open the app that are all based on a 5 single minute podcast I downloaded once a year ago and never grabbed another episode.

I accepted that Podcasts weren't going to be better and finally started to slowly move to other apps on my phone but still keep an eye on this out of curiosity and it's just impressive how poor it is.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I posted this in the macOS thread but no one cared/replied :smith:

My iTunes keeps trying to backup my iPhone to my computer. I change the setting to backup to iCloud (which is how I have had it set for several years), but every time I reconnect the phone, the setting is reverted and it backs up to the computer :confused:

I am running iOS 12.4.1, macOS 10.14.6, and iTunes 12.9.5.5.

This seems to have started after the Apple Genius reset all my iPhone settings when I had my broken screen replaced because they are the worst.

I have tried every combination of changing the setting, restart iTunes, reconnecting the iPhone that I can think of. I tried chmod -w on the backup folder but get denied, even as root.

What is most remarkable to me is my disk does not even have enough room for a backup, yet iTunes goes through the process of creating a backup, using up all my remaining disk space, only to run out and fail.

I really don't know what else I can do. Is there some setting I can change via defaults? Nothing is jumping out to me.

Apple having reset my iPhone settings also made Messages stop working on my Mac. I wonder if I just had some weird setting combinations grandfathered in from over the years and now there is some bizarro conflict causing this behavior. I see both my iTunes pref plist and my library file both update their modified timestamp when I change anything, but it keeps reverting to backup to the computer.

Please help :ohdear:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Update iTunes or get owned on Windows: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/attackers-exploit-an-itunes-zeroday-to-install-ransomware/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
maybe software companies should have a way of communicating that hey this update actually f'ing matters

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

maybe software companies should have a way of communicating that hey this update actually f'ing matters

I agree, I skipped over it initially (because why the gently caress does itunes still need me to restart my computer and then spend 10 minutes checking my library aglglglglglglgl), read the article and went gently caress

in possibly apocryphal news it maybe fixed the thing where itunes skips halfway through some songs for no rhyme or reason?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

I posted this in the macOS thread but no one cared/replied :smith:

My iTunes keeps trying to backup my iPhone to my computer. I change the setting to backup to iCloud (which is how I have had it set for several years), but every time I reconnect the phone, the setting is reverted and it backs up to the computer :confused:

I am running iOS 12.4.1, macOS 10.14.6, and iTunes 12.9.5.5.

This seems to have started after the Apple Genius reset all my iPhone settings when I had my broken screen replaced because they are the worst.

I have tried every combination of changing the setting, restart iTunes, reconnecting the iPhone that I can think of. I tried chmod -w on the backup folder but get denied, even as root.

What is most remarkable to me is my disk does not even have enough room for a backup, yet iTunes goes through the process of creating a backup, using up all my remaining disk space, only to run out and fail.

I really don't know what else I can do. Is there some setting I can change via defaults? Nothing is jumping out to me.

Apple having reset my iPhone settings also made Messages stop working on my Mac. I wonder if I just had some weird setting combinations grandfathered in from over the years and now there is some bizarro conflict causing this behavior. I see both my iTunes pref plist and my library file both update their modified timestamp when I change anything, but it keeps reverting to backup to the computer.

Please help :ohdear:

What happens if you make a copy of that plist (like on your desktop or somewhere you can find it in case you need to restore) and then just delete it? A theoretical default one should be recreated when you do that and re-open itunes.

Also, I think there might be a .plist for your iphone too although I'm a bit hazy on that. But deleting it is an option. There's definitely a file somewhere that identifies your phone to itunes. You might have to resync though if you do this.

Does this happen when you start itunes in safe mode?

I guess the "good news" is in Catalina it hardly ever successfully syncs anyway so you won't have to worry about this anymore if you upgrade.

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I figured it out, or at least it seems to be working now. I tried deleting the iTunes plist as well as the iPod plist (which is definitely used to track/ID my iPhone), but no luck. Deleted them and relaunched in safe mode, still same problem. Deleted them, deleted my iTunes library, still. I tried it on a completely different Mac and had the same problem. I went into my iPhone settings and turned off iCloud backup, then I turned it back on in iTunes. The setting seems to stick now. Interestingly, when I enable iCloud backup via iTunes, iCloud Settings summary screen says iCloud backup is Off, but when I go into the submenu, it shows it is On. Before, it said it was On, showed it was On when I drilled down, but it must have been actually off. I suppose iCloud backup is not the default setting, but some sloppy programming made it appear to have been enabled (just as it appears disabled when it is enabled via iTunes instead of directly on the phone).

Apple sucks nowadays :sigh: