Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

Is it sad that the new iTunes was my most anticipated part of the keynote today and I'm heartily depressed that it won't be out for another month?

I'm sure there's some loser who would make a topic about iTunes who would be more anxious than you, don't worry.

:ohdear: Please don't mess up my Smart Playlist or Library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

Is it sad that the new iTunes was my most anticipated part of the keynote today and I'm heartily depressed that it won't be out for another month?

Don't worry. I feel the exact same way.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I keep all my music on a server, and recently built a new one. I thought I had added all of music to iTunes using a mapped network drive, but apparently quite a few albums were added via SMB (this is all on Windows). So now iTunes thinks tracks are at \\OldServer\Music\path\to\track, and it's actually in \\NewServer\Music\path\to\track.

Is there a way to mass edit these files to reflect the new server name? Or to even see a list of files affected without manually scrolling through the library? I know I can simply delete the files and re-add them, but then I lose playcounts, rating, etc.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't have any experience with keeping the media files over the network, but couldn't you just select the network drive's folder in iTunes' preferences, and then tell it to consolidate your library to do it?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

IUG posted:

I don't have any experience with keeping the media files over the network, but couldn't you just select the network drive's folder in iTunes' preferences, and then tell it to consolidate your library to do it?

I'll give that a try. I'm not sure if it'll work, as I don't have all the music on the sever in iTunes, just specific albums.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
How do I control the way my smart playlist is displayed on my iPod nano? I have a smart playlist called Language which finds songs with the genre language and that aren't rated 1 star. That means it pulls from things like my Pimsleur Spanish CDs and the CD from my textbook and when I understand the track well enough I rate it 1 star. The thing is I can't seem to change the order it's displayed which means I need to scroll past 100 tracks to get down to my Pimsleur which is what I listen to more. Is there a way to alter that?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sad Panda posted:

How do I control the way my smart playlist is displayed on my iPod nano? I have a smart playlist called Language which finds songs with the genre language and that aren't rated 1 star. That means it pulls from things like my Pimsleur Spanish CDs and the CD from my textbook and when I understand the track well enough I rate it 1 star. The thing is I can't seem to change the order it's displayed which means I need to scroll past 100 tracks to get down to my Pimsleur which is what I listen to more. Is there a way to alter that?

The sort field used in iTunes is the same one that your iPod will use.

For instance, I have a playlist that grabs all the files that have the genre "Soundtrack". If left alone, it sorts by song name, but instead I sort by the album and everything is grouped correctly within the smart playlist.

If you listen to particular tracks more often, change the sort to "Plays" (you might have to right click on the top column to get this to show).

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Ok, this is a big thread so sorry if this has already been asked, but I purchased a season of a tv show from the store and it sends the hd version and regular def version to my downloads screen. First, I only want the hd version, but it won't let me choose that for some reason, and second when I delete the unwanted versions from my download screen they just come back later when I restart iTunes. Is there a way to stop this, or do I just have to download it and delete it to stop it from coming back?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Does anyone in the thread have any experience with Rockbox? Specifically, I was wondering if it lets you move around songs within a playlist (On-the-fly or not) without having to create a new one.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
gently caress this. I don't understand how an iPhone is the easiest thing in the world to use but iTunes is such a piece of poo poo. How do I tell this stupid piece of poo poo loving program I don't want something? Why in the gently caress does it ask me for my loving password every 15 minutes? Why can't I just open my iPod like a folder and copy the files into it from another file like any other storage device. Why do I have to use your stupid poo poo loving goddamn broken program Apple? I don't give one single poo poo about managing playlists or genius or any of that stupid bullshit. How about if I delete something from the downloads it goes away forever? How loving Hard is that? Why are the devices so easy and the software is so obtuse? It's loving backwards. gently caress this retarded software.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yay Pudding! posted:

Why can't I just open my iPod like a folder and copy the files into it from another file like any other storage device.

Because then the RIAA would be in a tizzy that you're using the iPod/iPhone like a hard drive that you can just drop off your music at a friend's place. Given it's the highest profile mp3 player, they locked it down as soon as they made it. They were one of the first mp3 players with significant storage, so rather they probably did it so they didn't look like a file sharing device. Portable hard drives weren't popular when iPods were introduced.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

IUG posted:

Because then the RIAA would be in a tizzy that you're using the iPod/iPhone like a hard drive that you can just drop off your music at a friend's place. Given it's the highest profile mp3 player, they locked it down as soon as they made it. They were one of the first mp3 players with significant storage, so rather they probably did it so they didn't look like a file sharing device. Portable hard drives weren't popular when iPods were introduced.

That's a bullshit/made up reason. You can drag files directly out of iTunes onto an iPod without a problem with disk storage on.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I've heard from numerous sources that the reason for the renaming of files and the F##/ filesystem structure on an iPod's music is an engineering decision for speed and indexing, nothing to do with copyright.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

benisntfunny posted:

That's a bullshit/made up reason. You can drag files directly out of iTunes onto an iPod without a problem with disk storage on.

Perhaps with some models, but not with the Nano I just tested. Music isn't exposed to the file system.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Yeah, clearly Apple is just loving with you for no good reason and hiding the files by default because they spite you. This is the most likely reason.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I'm having a weird new problem. I downloaded some songs straight to my iPhone a while ago, and am trying to get them onto my Mac. I go to my purchased list, and iTunes states that the songs are already downloaded but I can't find them in my library. A CD I just imported also seems to have disappeared into the ether, but another album I ripped in the same session appears just fine. What could possibly be going on here?

EDIT: I was able to find the files I created with the rest of my iTunes music, but they still wouldn't appear in my library even though iTunes could play the files. After iTunes updated to the recent version, the tracks appeared in my library just like they should. Odd.

Space Harrier fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 19, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Will the new iTunes have better EQ features, because switching off Foobar on XP to iTunes on a Mac is making me dislike my Sennheiser HD280s, something that should never ever happen. Seriously I've had these headphones for a good five years now and this is the first time I've ever disliked them. No I'm not buying an amp, I want iTunes to not be bad at sounding good.

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005
Ok, so I have been kind of lazy about updating my itunes. (Currently running 10.5.3) But I updated my iphone to ios6 today, so when I plugged my phone into my computer itunes tell me it can't update my phone without the newest itunes. So I go to itunes.com and download the newest version (10.7). But when I click to install it tells me I need 10.6.8 (OS) Is there anyway I can find a 10.6.3 version for i-tunes?

mister ginger fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 20, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mister ginger posted:

Ok, so I have been kind of lazy about updating my itunes. (Currently running 10.5.3) But I updated my iphone to ios6 today, so when I plugged my phone into my computer itunes tell me it can't update my phone without the newest itunes. So I go to itunes.com and download the newest version (10.7). But when I click to install it tells me I need 10.6.8 (OS) Is there anyway I can find a 10.6.3 version for i-tunes?
Cross-posting:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You can't update 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 with a downloadable patch. That's Leopard to Snow Leopard. Unless you're on a PowerPC Mac, I suggest updating your OS to something released within the last 3 years. You're now several generations behind:

10.0 Cheetah -> 10.1 Puma -> 10.2 Jaguar -> 10.3 Panther -> 10.4 Tiger -> 10.5 Leopard -> 10.6 Snow Leopard -> 10.7 Lion -> 10.8 Mountain Lion

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mister ginger posted:

I'm not clear from this if you're running Leopard or Snow Leopard, but in either case it sounds like you're not on the latest point release of the OS so you should really run Software Update and get up to date (why haven't you done this already over the past few years?). iTunes 10.7 should run fine in 10.6.8.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I had a song with 15 plays on my iPhone, and 0 on my local library before I updated my iPhone to iOS6 and iTunes 10.7 on my laptop. I play the song today, and instead of saying 16 plays on my phone, it says 1 on my phone and 1 on my local library.

What happened and how can I fix this? I used to not allow iTunes to update play counts for my local library. If it helps, I don't have iTunes Match or iCloud enabled.

EDIT 3: I did have an issue with iTunes updating the play counts on my local library on sync on a previous version, and mentioned it earlier in the thread. It usually leads to a odd 'double play count + 1' issue if I play a song and sync my iphone. I can't roll back this time though :(

Armitage fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 22, 2012

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I used to put all my podcasts in a playlist so they would play one after another on my iPhone while driving or jogging. With the new podcast app, podcasts will only show up in the podcast app and it appears they can only be played one at a time. Am I missing something?

I just realized RunKeeper uses the Music playlists only, so using RunKeeper to jog while listening to podcasts is completely out. What in the world are they trying to do here?

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 22, 2012

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
iForgot so when is iTunes 11 coming out? Late October?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Is there any way to use an alias for one of the folders inside my "iTunes Media" folder?

Until today, I've always kept my entire iTunes folder on my large external drive, but now that drive is actually running out of space. There's plenty of space on my internal HD for music, apps, books and podcasts. I really only need the external drive for videos, so I'd like to free some space by moving my iTunes folder to the internal drive, and just using aliases to the "Movies" and "TV Shows" folders on the external drive.

I set it all up, but it doesn't seem like iTunes can find the video files through the aliases. Is there any way to make this work, or am I going to just have to go back to keeping everything on the external drive?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Is there any way to use an alias for one of the folders inside my "iTunes Media" folder?

Until today, I've always kept my entire iTunes folder on my large external drive, but now that drive is actually running out of space. There's plenty of space on my internal HD for music, apps, books and podcasts. I really only need the external drive for videos, so I'd like to free some space by moving my iTunes folder to the internal drive, and just using aliases to the "Movies" and "TV Shows" folders on the external drive.

I set it all up, but it doesn't seem like iTunes can find the video files through the aliases. Is there any way to make this work, or am I going to just have to go back to keeping everything on the external drive?

Have you tried symlinks?
Mac - http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2001110610290643
Win - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks! Not sure why I didn't try that, but it did the trick.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Is it just me or has the last update made iTunes take an age to launch on Windows? I mean I know my PC is getting old but this is ridiculous.

Anything I can do to improve the situation? I already have Genius unticked which helped a bit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dissss posted:

Is it just me or has the last update made iTunes take an age to launch on Windows? I mean I know my PC is getting old but this is ridiculous.

Anything I can do to improve the situation? I already have Genius unticked which helped a bit.

If you have iTunes on external storage, moving it to a built-in hard disk or faster external hd would help a lot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lemmi Caution posted:

I used to put all my podcasts in a playlist so they would play one after another on my iPhone while driving or jogging. With the new podcast app, podcasts will only show up in the podcast app and it appears they can only be played one at a time. Am I missing something?

I just realized RunKeeper uses the Music playlists only, so using RunKeeper to jog while listening to podcasts is completely out. What in the world are they trying to do here?

Delete the podcast app. Behavior should return to normal. At least it did for me.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

IUG posted:

Yeah, clearly Apple is just loving with you for no good reason and hiding the files by default because they spite you. This is the most likely reason.

No, the reason is likely because of the how the devices sync. Apple wants a seamless experience and wants your devices to all match, playcounts, smart playlists, album art, etc. Dragging and dropping songs onto the device would not allow for this and they could really give a gently caress if you wanted to do it some other way.

Apple has made strides forward in the openness of their music. It's all DRM Free now, all 256kbps, it's easy (though it always has been) to get out of iTunes. The fact that you can't just dump onto an iPod probably has very little if anything to do with recording industry.

In terms of disk mode not being on some devices. That's obviously another choice made by Apple for some reason or another as it used to exist on all their iPods and is slowly being removed. My guess is that partitioning space like that lead to corrupted devices and since it wasn't a highly used feature they just assume remove it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is this the thread for iTunes account issues? I hope so.

I got the usual email with my latest purchases, two apps and a song. The apps I actually purchased, but the song I didn't. It's not on my iPhone or iPad, or in my iTunes library. I had my wife change my iTunes password (I wasn't at home and couldn't figure out how to do it on my phone), then I started looking through my purchased items in the app store and iTunes. Nothing unusual except this song.

I'm finally back at home, and I'm going through my Purchase History (which is an incredible pain in the rear end) but I don't see anything else weird. I used the 'report a problem' form so we'll see what Apple says, but is there anything else I should do?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Arivia posted:

If you have iTunes on external storage, moving it to a built-in hard disk or faster external hd would help a lot.

The library is on an internal 7200rpm disk which seems okay performance wise for everything but iTunes.

The library is many years old now though so I'm wondering if starting over is the solution (as the iPod is only my secondary device everything is nicely organised so it shouldn't be too difficult to reimport everything)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Something's messed my iTunes up. It started crashing after finishing a song, so I updated to 10.7 today, but it's still doing it.

pre:
Process:         iTunes [63385]
Path:            /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
Identifier:      com.apple.iTunes
Version:         10.7 (10.7)
Build Info:      iTunes-10702101~1
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [200]
User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2012-09-24 22:42:47.756 +0200
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8 (12A269)
Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          497026 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           6
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  433 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1
Anonymous UUID:                      651FEF86-AD14-457E-9255-E63FFCEFDF9C

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000010

VM Regions Near 0x10:
--> 
    __TEXT                 000000010cb04000-000000010dca5000 [ 17.6M] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.apple.avfoundationcf      	0x000000010e039664 AVCFAssetCopyAssetTrackWithTrackID + 20
1   com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cde4f45 0x10cb04000 + 3018565
2   com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cdeac8c 0x10cb04000 + 3042444
3   com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010d175857 0x10cb04000 + 6756439
4   com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cdde26e 0x10cb04000 + 2990702
5   com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cddb64a 0x10cb04000 + 2979402
6   com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cddc851 0x10cb04000 + 2984017
7   com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cddb5a2 0x10cb04000 + 2979234
8   com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cddface 0x10cb04000 + 2996942
9   com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cde0ad2 0x10cb04000 + 3001042
10  com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cde0b7c 0x10cb04000 + 3001212
11  com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cc047c7 0x10cb04000 + 1050567
12  com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cc046f2 0x10cb04000 + 1050354
13  com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cc01e46 0x10cb04000 + 1039942
14  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff8fd764b4 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 20
15  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff8fd75fcd __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 557
16  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff8fd5b7b9 __CFRunLoopRun + 1513
17  com.apple.CoreFoundation      	0x00007fff8fd5add2 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 290
18  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff8e203774 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 209
19  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff8e203512 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 356
20  com.apple.HIToolbox           	0x00007fff8e2033a3 BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode + 62
21  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff97f2bfa3 _DPSNextEvent + 685
22  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff97f2b862 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 128
23  com.apple.AppKit              	0x00007fff97f22c03 -[NSApplication run] + 517
24  com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cb06e3f 0x10cb04000 + 11839
25  com.apple.iTunes              	0x000000010cb06c80 0x10cb04000 + 11392

-- snip --
Full crash log: http://pastebin.com/rCshQ9Dz

Anyone had this happen?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, running into a bit of an issue with my wifes laptop and her iTunes. We recently wiped and reinstalled Windows 7 and I transferred over her library like I am used to doing on my machine. Things went well. She backs up to iCloud, so doesn't get back to her laptop much to sync. She tried to load a CD she ripped into a playlist to load and when she goes to Music under her iPhone, the Sync Music box is unchecked (all of them are on all of the tabs, which shouldn't be) but the radio button for Sync selected playlists is marked. When I check the box to Sync Music (and thus enable the playlist syncing) we get the very hostile error of wiping everything and replacing with everything from the iTunes library.

This all worked just fine before the reinstall and am unsure of where to go from here. I do not have manually manage music checked. How can I get these two to talk to eachother, despite apparently having an initial willingness to? They sync up, transfer purchases, but won't work with any new instructions!

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

edit: quick update, I backed it up on a whim, now when I click sync it tells me that it hasn't synced with this computer before (I JUST DID 30 MINUTES AGO!) and it needs to wipe and load from the library. Is there not a less destructive way?

edit2: and now it synced on another push of the button, i'm so confused right now.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 26, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So Apple's "security changes" after the Wired incident have left my account crippled and in order to reactivate it I need to provide the serial number for the first iOS device I ever registered to iTunes. Considering iThings have a life of a couple of years on average, I haven't seen that on since 2007.

So, I was basically told "Go create a new account then" meaning I lose all my apps and such. But what I need right now is a good way to strip all DRM from my iTunes library. I'm on OS X, and I know that I'll likely have to pay if I want something that will do it quickly and efficiently, but does anyone have suggestions for a program capable of doing it in large batches? Because obviously I can't reactivate my songs on a new account. :argh:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So, I was basically told "Go create a new account then" meaning I lose all my apps and such. But what I need right now is a good way to strip all DRM from my iTunes library. I'm on OS X, and I know that I'll likely have to pay if I want something that will do it quickly and efficiently, but does anyone have suggestions for a program capable of doing it in large batches? Because obviously I can't reactivate my songs on a new account. :argh:

You're probably better off asking Google since asking here how to break DRM would be :filez:

How old is your Music? It's been a while since Apple DRM'ed songs, and they provided a (not free) method of converting older DRMed songs to higher bitrate/DRM-free. If you have a lot of DRM content, I'd start being a massive pain to Apple, certified letters demanding they restore the content you've paid for, small claims court (or arbitration if the agreement requires that), getting MacWorld/Ars Technica/David Pogue/other media involved and turn it into negative publicity for Apple.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

fordan posted:

You're probably better off asking Google since asking here how to break DRM would be :filez:

I can't imagine that breaking DRM when apple no longer DRMs their own music and I paid for the tracks and it's explicitly legal? :confused:

I sent a message to Gizmodo and as much as I'd love to do something like small claims court I'm not even sure how to go about it and pretty much anything would cost more than just paying for the apps again.

e. It's old enough that de-DRMing my own songs is necessary.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 1, 2012

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So Apple's "security changes" after the Wired incident have left my account crippled and in order to reactivate it I need to provide the serial number for the first iOS device I ever registered to iTunes. Considering iThings have a life of a couple of years on average, I haven't seen that on since 2007.

Have you tried changing the secret questions on the AppleID website?

EDIT: NVM, you can't access it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Billa posted:

Have you tried changing the secret questions on the AppleID website?

EDIT: NVM, you can't access it.

Yeah I have literally zero way of confirming who I am according to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've put all my music into Itunes and fixed up all the tags, album art etc in Itunes, is there any way to get it to fix the original files?