Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I have a question about accessing my iTunes music library through my wireless network.

The library lives on my desktop PC and I have set it to be shared through the network.

I use laptops, also with iTunes, to listen to the music in my library by streaming it through the network.

A category called "JoeBlow's Music" (JoeBlow = computer user on my desktop PC) appears in iTunes on the laptops and if I click on it, the entire music library shows up and I can play the music.

So far so good. But I can only play from within the whole library, I can organize it by song name or artist or album or genre, but I can't seem to generate playlists out of this music on the remote machines, or access preexisting playlists living on the master PC.

Is there anyway I can use this streaming/sharing feature in conjunction with playlists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kilted Yaksman posted:

Zwabu, create the playlists on the computer that serves the music. You should then be able to see those playlists on the clients by expanding the triangle next to that library name (it probably wont appear if the server has no playlists). I found this screenshot on GIS that might help...

I already had playlists. I discovered what the problem was: The "satellite" iTunes ALSO has to make its library available for sharing on the network. If you don't do this, then the "satellite" only sees the whole music library of the "parent" music library for some reason. As soon as you make the "satellite" iTunes library shared on the network, you see playlists from the parent.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This may have been covered already in this gigantic thread, but can you stream your iTunes music that's sitting on your computer at home to a remote location through the internet the same way you can stream it at home over your network through the sharing system?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Thwomp posted:

It depends on if you wants a local copy of the music on his iOS device.

Home Sharing music over your wifi network is actual streaming. Doesn't iTunes Match download the file you want to play first?

Yeah I wanted to stream remotely without having to download or keep copies of the files on the mobile device.