Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

So, are there any decent duplicate removing tools out there that are somewhat intelligent and can use id3 tags and also deal with misspellings?

TuneUp should be able to do it. There are a couple others out there, but that's the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Silly question, my wife has a bunch of purchased iTunes music that she didn't upgrade to iTunes+.

Will getting an iTunes Match subscription automatically get the 256k drm free versions of those?

Automatically, no. Get, yes. $25 for iTunes Plus amnesty!

It's not as seamless as the Plus upgrade (you have to manually delete and then re-download your protected files as opposed to just clicking "TAKE MY WALLET"), but for the ~$70 in savings I just netted, I'm not one to complain.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
It scans the files. No files, no iTunes Match.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Why does iTunes Match insist on "matching" my music with edited versions?

Judging by the responses I've received from iTunes Support, Apple's aware of it and looking into it.

But yeah, it's pretty damned annoying in the mean time.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TACD posted:

Are you sure it auto-deletes old tracks?

Yes, but it does it through some kind of voodoo algorithm. It would be more accurate to say it deletes less important tracks.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
What all do you have backups of? If you backed up your entire home folder and just dumped that right back into place, you should be completely set to go as-is.

If you're going piecemeal, then you want:
  • iTunes Library.itl in ~/Music/iTunes
  • iTunes Library Extras.itdb in ~/Music/iTunes
  • iTunes Library Genius.itdb in ~/Music/iTunes
  • (Optionally) com.apple.iTunes.plist in ~/Library/Preferences

The first one's the meat. I have no idea what's stored in the Extras DB (other than "not much"). If you have the Genius database, you'll spare yourself waiting for iTunes to rebuild it.

If you don't have the preferences file, that's fine; it just means you may need to pop into iTunes' Advanced preferences and tell it where things should go and whether or not to arrange new imports for you.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I've not had it steal focus while in the background, but I have had that fucker take over whatever I was doing in iTunes.

Oh, hello, giant useless iTunes Match progress screen. Fancy meeting you again.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

smackfu posted:

I'm subscribed to a couple of iTunes Season Passes. They are supposed to auto-download, right? It seems like I get the email about new episodes in the middle of the night, then I have to manually download by clicking on the little iCloud icon next to them. If I manually do "Check For Available Downloads" (which is no better really), it is about 50/50 it will find the new episode. This is all on a Mac.

"Download Pre-Orders When Available" also has to be turned on in the preferences. It's in the Store tab.

By default (Download Pre-Orders off), it'll check and let you know they've become available, but you have to then download them yourself.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I'm considering using iTunes match, but I'm wondering if there are any common "gotchas" I should worry about.

Based on a system of black magic, iTunes Match may deem some of your live stuff as not qualifying for Match. If it's good-quality stuff it'll usually take it, but if it's lo-fi super bootleg stuff you may be stuck keeping at least that part of your library around (and manually syncing that portion with any device you want it on).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Any music purchased today is DRM-free.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

So with iTunes 11.1, I said yes to "sync all my poo poo to the cloud" for podcasts. Is there any way to undo that?

Preferences | Store | Sync podcast subscriptions and settings:

While we're on the subject, I wish they'd split that into two preferences; I want the same subscriptions on all my devices, but not necessarily the same settings.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 20, 2013

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

What Palm tried to do was trick iTunes into thinking the phone was an iPod so you can sync directly from iTunes.

If anything should have been an early indicator Palm was going to run itself back into the ground, that whole fiasco was probably it.

A scorched earth policy of "gently caress you, standards body, we're going to violate your standards even harder" is not generally the policy position of a competently-run company.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I'm sure this has been talked about, but what does the Keep setting under podcast settings do? I have it set to keep last 2 so I thought it would delete the older podcasts but its not.

It will automatically delete episodes when:
1. You are subscribed to a podcast
2. Episodes eligible for deletion aren't marked "Do Not Delete"
3. A new episode becomes available

If you've got a bunch of podcasts where you've just turned it on, no, nothing will happen immediately.

Automatic downloads may (read: probably) need to be turned on as well; they keep messing with the way Podcasts works so I'm not 100% on the exact current behavior. Basically, if iTunes is downloading episodes, iTunes will prune episodes it has downloaded. What it does with pre-existing episodes and episodes you've manually downloaded has been a moving target.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Accipiter posted:

93NAAP79NJH6

Took this one. Thanks!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

If I have a bunch of songs that exist in the Apple store and they are successfully matched via ITM, can I remove them from my library in the future? Not just hide them but completely 'unmatch' them so as if I had never added them?

Yes. There's a dialog box for exactly this purpose when deleting tracks from your library.

Shaocaholica posted:

Also, if I do hide a ITM song (not icloud), will it be hidden on all my devices or do I have to hide it manually on all my devices?

Removing it from one device removes it only from that device; deleting it entirely will make it unavailable from all devices—or at least ones which don't already have a copy.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 29, 2013

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Krakkles posted:

How should I have done this?

Sign into Match last, not first.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

The Milkman posted:

How does matching treat clean vs original versions? One of the [many] problems I had with Google is cloud versions were always the lovely radio edits. Or just straight up different songs. Or just half a song.

As of late, much, much better.

At launch it would frequently grab clean versions (which was quite surprising as a former LaLa user), but Apple started working on that almost immediately. I've had a whopping one mismatch in the past year.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Smart Playlists are definitely still... in need of improvement. Namely on iOS, though. The desktop iTunes team seems to have a slightly better idea what they're doing than the iOS Music team.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Accipiter posted:

Broken Bells: After the Disco

JATENXEHH4YY

Thanks!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Would changes in the itunes store do this? The album title did change from something like "Close to the Edge (bonus tracks)" to "Close to the Edge (Remastered)." If the store did that, I'm kind of worried about the implication that what I've downloaded is subject to being swapped out with different files or tied to the store's database.

Downloaded files won't be swapped out for different files. Undownloaded "iTunes in the Cloud" purchases and undownloaded iTunes Match tracks may change with what's actually in the iTunes Store catalog, however.

By way of example, shortly after the Smashing Pumpkins remasters were released, they/Billy had all of the originals pulled from the store. Everything now Matches the remasters, whether it's ripped from a 1990s first pressing or a 2013 remaster. If you already had the originals on your computer, you still have the originals on your computer. Forever. If you buy a new laptop tomorrow and grab those songs from Match, you'll have the remasters on your new laptop.

It's rare a label engages in that kind of fuckery, but it's possible—and, where someone like Billy Corgan is involved, a given.

Similarly, your metadata should never change if you've made local changes; for iTunes Match, any changes you make will persist across your account and (should) override any changes in the store catalog. For iTunes in the Cloud, tags shouldn't be touched on anything actually in your local library, but any new copies will always come with whatever's current in the store (because the iTunes Store is unaware of your changes).

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 12, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
You'll have to wait for 12.0 to get your terrible features.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

IUG posted:

How are people getting that album? I don't want it, but I keep checking to see if it made it into my library, as I keep seeing people talking about it. I don't see it in my purchases, or anywhere in my library. The article also says it doesn't download automatically, so I'm confused on how people are getting this album.

I had the same issue until I signed out of the iTunes Store and signed back in. I'm not sure why that fixed it, but it immediately showed up on all my devices as soon as I signed out and back in on one of them.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

New iOS update, still no way to see how much space iTunes Match music takes on my iPhone. :mad:

Music you've explicitly downloaded from Match, or music you've just listened to from Match? The latter is just cached and effectively takes zero space; it's selectively purged as iOS requests it. It doesn't even get reported AFAIK.

And it's not ideal, but you should be able to delete music one glorious song or a whole artist at a time from within Music if all else fails. Clunky if you just want to clear out one album, but it's something.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Oasx posted:

I just got a new computer, and i want to transfer my apps and podcasts from the old iTunes, i put them all on my phone, but when i want to sync them onto the new iTunes, it just tells me that anything that is not in my iTunes library will be deleted from my phone. Does anyone have an idea how to transfer them?

File | Devices | Transfer Purchases should do the job. Downloaded podcasts are considered "purchases."