Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TangyRaptor posted:

I just came up with another question. I have my music stored on my desktop but I always connect to my library through my laptop. Is there anyway I can modify ratings and such remotely through iTunes? The way I do it now is remote desktop into my desktop, search for the song in iTunes and then change the rating which is a bit of a hassle. Is there any way to simplify this process?

Share the library file itself, then open it on your laptop? I think it's option-click on Mac, probably alt- or ctrl-click on Windows, when opening iTunes to choose a library to open.

A hint:

No idea how many people have a similar setup, but it's pretty easy to use the same library in Mac OS and Windows. I have a Vista partition on my MacBook, and a copy of MacDrive. I point iTunes in both to the same library file and, except for a couple songs with funky characters in the filenames, everything shows right up after a brief "updating iTunes database" pause. I've seen others do the same thing using a shared network drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Killmaster posted:

Can someone tell me how to change which folders iTunes uses for the library? I have my music backed up on another drives but iTunes has both in its library, which means every album shows 2 copies of the each song :( I've googled relentlessly but haven't found a solution to this simple problem..

Preferences > Advanced > iTunes Music folder location is the setting, but it's probably not what you want.

Also consider File > Library > Consolidate Library (this will move everything in your library to the aforementioned folder) if that's something you want to do, but it probably isn't.

File > Show Duplicates might help.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

thegloaming posted:

Has anyone tried syncing iTunes libraries across two computers (specifically a Mac and a PC)? I'd really like to do this, whether it's through passing off an external hard drive or using the network (I'd assume the former would be faster).

You can use the same library on both if you don't mind only having one copy of iTunes open at a time. If you want both copies open on the same library at once, this won't work for you.

All you have to do is share the library over the network (or you can put it on an external drive and just shunt it around). Make sure the "iTunes Library" file has the .itl extension (it won't if it's on a Mac version of iTunes, but you can add it and it'll work fine in both). Then, open iTunes by holding option (on Mac) or shift (on Windows), and point it to the iTunes Library.itl file in question. You might get a brief "updating iTunes library" message when switching from Windows to Mac or back, but it should work fine after that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

thegloaming posted:

Sounds simple enough. I'm assuming that'll save all playlists and such, right?

Also, if I'm using an external drive, I guess I won't have to worry about having them both open at once.

In my experience, the library functions identically, down to the last playlist and play count.

Yeah, that'll make accidentally opening the library multiple times much more difficult if it's on an external drive. One instance at a time and you're all set. Oh, and use the same version of iTunes everywhere (kind of obvious, but good to double-check).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mikey-San posted:

screenshot

I never thought I'd be this guy, but what the hell is that chicken-like leftmost menu bar icon?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Casao posted:

So, without creating a new playlist, how do I get it to play just the title track of an album? If I search for the name, it shows and plays the whole album.

This is when you play one of my favourite iTunes games. I call it "minimum song search": you answer the question "what's the smallest number of characters you can type in the search bar to isolate the one song you want?"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

GuyGizmo posted:

Hot diggity. I'll give it a try and see if it works.

edit: Actually according the program's faq it doesn't sync the libraries once a song is copied. So if I rate a song 5 stars and listen to it 20 times in library A, it won't have its rating or play count updated in library B. :(

Will you ever be using both libraries at the same time?

If your answer is "no", then there's a pretty low tech way to do it. Make sure the folder structure in both libraries is identical within the iTunes Music folder (or wherever you keep the actual flies). Then you just have to get the iTunes Library file from one place to another, copy over the old one when you arrive, then fire up iTunes. You'd have to transfer the music files themselves manually whenever you add some, but otherwise you're set.

You could make it as easy and silly as emailing the library file to yourself/work email when you're leaving from home, and vice versa on the way back. When you arrive, grab the attachment and replace the (old) file on the destination's computer. I'd probably aim for automating it somewhat; I'd have a script to upload the file to an FTP server at a given time (say, right before my usual departure for work time) and download the file at some other time (right before your usual arrival time), then run the same script with the times reversed at the other location.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Koppite posted:

Does anyone know how to copy album art from an ipod back to itunes?

I saw you asking in the other thread too. If the art's not embedded in the music files, you're sunk as far as I know.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

Thanks, I'm always confused because I'm using a PC keyboard on a Mac.

Not really an iTunes tip but you can remap keys in System Preferences so everything lines up nicely if you want.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

trilljester posted:

Ahhh, so for those who manually manage their iPod are out of luck then?

Never thought about it, but yeah, I'd imagine so.

That's an odd shortcoming though. Would it be so hard to have a "sync metadata" button if you manually manage the contents of your iPod? You should file a feature request with Apple.

(If you're willing to make a playlist and set your iPod to automatically sync with that playlist, you could probably get it to pick up on-device play counts and ratings.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Feenix posted:

so does anyone know how to "Set up" the iphone "voting" thingy for iTunes DJ?

iTunes DJ -> Settings -> "Allow guests to request songs", etc.

Update Remote.app on iPhone.

Remote -> Playlists -> iTunes DJ -> Request a Song.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

-Dethstryk- posted:

I plan on nuking Quicktime as well, so I assume it will grab a new copy of it when I reinstall iTunes. Thanks.

Before you get too far along, keep in mind that an archive and install takes like 20 minutes. Add on maybe an hour total dragging apps/settings over and you're back to where you were, except (in all likelihood) with working iTunes/QuickTime.

Just something to consider before spending four hours aimlessly browsing forums, blogs and newsgroups. I've definitely made the wrong choice before in a "must solve problem!" fervor.

e: If you're on Mac OS, I mean. Windows tends to be a bit more involved in a reinstall.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 14, 2009

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Carthag posted:

While I haven't tried it myself, I've seen plenty of blog posts on google about using a PC library on a mac and vice-versa. Shouldn't be a problem.

You'll want to rename iTunes Library.itl to just iTunes Library.

Works great. No need to rename it, even. And don't bother with the XML copy.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I had checked out both RogueAmoeba's apps and tried out Soundflower, none are really what I'm looking for unfortunately. Airfoil looks like it's mainly for sending non-iTunes audio to other devices, and setting up some virtual airtunes reciever might work with it, but it seems complex and probably doesn't exist. Audio Hijack seems to have the exact same functions as WireTap (but without the ability to patch audio to a particular output; it's cheaper but even less useful to me).

Soundflower does app-to-app rerouting, but only helps with applications that can already choose where to send their audio input/output so it still didn't solve the dilemma of isolating my iTunes audio.

Did you actually try Airfoil? I think it has a trial. It'll isolate iTunes (or any other app's) audio and send it to any number of networked computers, AirPorts Express and iPhones/iPods with Airfoil Speakers running.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Airfoil :words:

I misunderstood you. I'm unaware of any free (or easy + pay) way to do what you're trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Is there anyway to sync my ratings and play counts from my ipod to my PC?

I copied my music files off the ipod in disk mode and put them on my new computer but this method didn't transfer ratings, play counts & playlists.

I tried to use meta-pod to transfer my tracks but their software converted every artist name to an album title making my library completely unusable.

As far as I know, play counts aren't stored on the iPod; only play counts since the last time you synched up, which then get added to the play counts in iTunes on next sync.

I don't know of any way to transfer ratings and playlists, but those should be theoretically possible. Don't get hopes up on play counts though.