Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Posting just in case someone else is having this problem, might save them the morning's frustration I had.

If you're on OS X and itunes freezes on launch since the update, do you have last.fm installed? Seems for me that last.fm doesn't play nice with the newest version. Try going to Username > Library > iTunes > iTunes Plug-ins and trash the audioscrobbler.bundle file. You'll also have to go into the last.fm preferences and deselect 'start with itunes', and quit the program before relaunching itunes.

Sucks to have no scrobbling at the moment, but better than no itunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Is there really no way in iTunes 11 to have an album art column in a playlist? I'm glad I installed this on my old POS laptop first.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Yeah, I dislike that. I have a lot of playlists of things that are related - e.g. things by the same composer played by different performers, or an artist's discography including side projects by different names - and being able to scan through them quickly by the covers is useful. That's how I use iTunes 90+% of the time, so I'm really disinclined to upgrade.

Edit: like this (this is my regular library, but same principle)

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 13, 2012

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

You know you can change the view of a playlist to "Artist List" view and then select all artists to give it that appearance, right?

I thought you were talking about the little album art window at the bottom right corner of the sidebar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this will preserve the playlist order (unless they happen to be alphabetical). I downgraded my other laptop this afternoon so I'm not able to check this easily :v:

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

I downloaded the new iOS through iTunes, it failed to update my iPhone because "an unknown error occurred", and it forced me to restore my phone. Great job!

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

After the update iTunes displayed the following message: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." I did so, and attempted to restore from backup (I had two options - one just named after my phone and one with a date and time before the update attempt - I've tried both). However, all that appears on the phone is 0.84GB of 'other'.

Edit: VVV yeah, that's been my experience with previous backups. This time it failed to save anything, though. It's not the end of the world but jeez what a pain.

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 2, 2013

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

No album art column in list view or playlists is my only real complaint but it annoys me a little every single day and it would be the easiest thing in the world to fix.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

If you click the album art in the little display area it'll pop up a resizable album art window that you can put anywhere you want (and also doubles as a miniplayer).

I mean, that's great and all, but I don't really care about seeing the album art of the thing that's playing. I use playlists a ton and it's really nice to be able to scan through them by album art to decide what to play. It's a small thing but it was how I used to use itunes 99% of the time and I cannot understand why they removed it as a view option.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there a way to manually add playcounts to songs? I created a smart playlist for songs that I haven't listened to yet, but I recently reformatted my computer and didn't save the database file so it's showing a lot of stuff that I've already listened to/listen to regularly.

I don't know if it still works with 11, but try http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=newplayedcount or http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=addorsubtractplaycount

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Props to Apple for putting tons of view option back into playlist/songs view, even stuff that was removed a while back like always displaying the artwork even if the album only has a few songs. I like 11's Album view but it's not good for everything and now I have my playlists just how I like them. I also haven't had a crash on attempting to import files yet, which happened a lot for me with the last version.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Is anyone having problems with their iTunes continually prompting them for their credentials when purchasing something from iTMS, like an app (in my case).

I can click the purchase button, but the authentication dialog will keep coming up continually until I either hit cancel or quit iTunes. There is no error message associated with this event, the dialog just keeps popping up repeatedly.

If I quit iTunes and reopen it and purchase the item again it goes through perfectly without even asking my credentials (presumably because it has them saved).

This seemed to start after I tried to purchase something on my new (to me) iPhone through the App Store, but since it was a "new" device Apple wanted me to verify my billing info. I didn't have my credit card handy so I couldn't verify the CVV code. I cancelled that and purchased the app on my desktop instead, but since then this has happened every now and then.

Ughh I just started having this problem and just like you it'll work as soon as I quit and reopen, but only for that purchase, trying to make another one will start the whole thing off again. I'm not sure if it happened since the 11.0.3 upgrade and I just didn't download anything until now (it's definitely possible), but nothing else changed with my system or devices.

Edit: it seems that prompting to Check for Available Downloads might 'fix' this at least some of the time.

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 30, 2013

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

keevo posted:

More than usual. It usually never crashes but since this update I've had it crash about four or five times.

For me 11.0.2 had been crashing a whole lot (usually when trying to import files) but 11.0.3 has yet to. Weird.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Now that I've up(?)graded to iOS7, iTunes crashes if I click the podcasts tab on my iPhone. The bar at the bottom is still showing a lot of audio even if I remove all my usual music playlists, but the Podcasts app (sigh) on the phone doesn't contain anything. I'm not using iCloud synching or any of that jazz. Any ideas?

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Whatever it is, it makes the external drive my library's on turn into a jet engine at the same time.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Took FHPF46PYALPY, thanks

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

If I have playlists (smart or otherwise) of podcasts, do they still work in the playlists view? For that matter, can I still sync them to my phone if I install IOS8 (in 7, 'itunes playlists' appears as a 'station' - I have no idea what the benefits of stations are supposed to be but that's itunes for you)

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Seems it's down for everyone: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/03/11/apple-itunes-down/70143594/

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Well, itunes seems to be hosed in a new way.

Having had itunes stop updating all my podcasts "because you have not listened to any episodes recently" (god forbid I should go on holiday), I was left with some episodes to download. Except, if I attempt to download anything, either one at a time or using "download all", the episodes just become greyed out with an exclamation point next to them, as if itunes is getting a 404 error. But if you right-click the podcast and copy the url and visit in in a browser, all the files are there, playable, etc.

Edit: additionally, if you double-click a greyed out episode, itunes is able to stream it, but still cannot download it.

Juche Couture fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

so i just plugged my phone into my laptop to charge it because i didn't have a spare port and it just deleted like half my podcasts from itunes, including some shows that don't have feeds anymore. what the loving gently caress itunes and podcasts apps :sigh:

e: so it turns out even if I download an episode of a podcast in iTunes with 'delete played episodes off', if 'delete played episodes' is on in iOS it overwrites it, just did a test. This is the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard of. I shouldn't have to go into each loving device and manually mark stuff as played on all 3 just because I listened to something on my laptop instead of my iPhone that day. Apparently my phone hadn't been syncing w/ the laptop automatically until I plugged it in.

jfc...

My itunes, with most but for some reason not all podcasts, will delete episodes if I listen to them, even though 'delete played episodes' is turned off on both mac and phone, unless I manually 'save' each episode. I know most people are not as hoarderish as I am, but you would think that a bug that irrevocably deletes your data might be considered a problem?