Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just got an iPod Nano 5G after using the 3G square unit for a couple years.

So, do iPods no longer update Smart Playlists that are based on other Smart Playlists?

As a simple example, let's say:
1. I have a Smart Playlist with 25 songs that meet the criteria "hasn't been played in 3 months."
2. As the iPod plays through this list, the songs that no longer meet this criteria disappear from the list, and
3. The iPod picks songs from the pool of tracks it has onboard and fills the list with it, continually refreshing the list.
4. Any 'Main' Smart Playlist that links to this Smart Playlist is also capable of continually refreshing itself dynamically.

The result is a bottomless, continually refreshed playlist with a variety of hand-tweaked preferences, by adding to the number of Smart Playlists that the 'Main' Smart Playlist references. It's a portable radio station. It's great.

This no longer happens with my new iPod. Even my ancient iPod Mini can handle this. Is there a way to get this behavior back with the new Nano?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You could set the processor affinity. http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-set-processor-affinity-to-an-application-in-windows/

iTunes has ever been a dog (thanks to being a cross-platform developed app, a heavily skinned interface you can't turn off, and I believe it also uses Quicktime to do *everything* related to playback), but it doesn't exercise the CPU much when playing, and
it's minimized (to the taskbar, not the tray), it uses around 14MB of RAM (which slowly grows, but not by much).

XMPlay's pretty good as far as RAM and CPU consumption, and it isn't a smorgasbord of options like Foobar2K.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You'll need an app capable of reading the database files on an iPod. Apple, in their typical obscure-everything way, doesn't store mp3s like normal files on the iPod, but instead as oddly named files with references that are read from internal database. Fortunately, there are many apps that can do this, and I believe Yamipod and Mediamonkey are both capable of this, as well as Ephpod.

You'll probably want your iPod in "Disk Mode" for this to work.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Don't know if this is still the case, but in the past, when I would add artwork with the drag-n-drop onto the album art pane method, the album art would not be stored in the mp3 tag, but if I right-clicked the file and added the art that way, it was stored in the tag.

Either way, you won't notice the difference unless you move the mp3 to a different PC or end up rebuilding your iTunes library or something.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Decide how long is long enough for an old song to be fresh again (for me, 3 months), and set a rule to the effect that "last played is not in the last three months." After a song is played, it vanishes.

If you want to introduce skips, have skipped tracks drop from the list, and then later 'rediscover' the skipped tracks I'm not sure you can do that without resetting the skip counter now and then.

To do this, create another playlist that just has tracks that are three months since last play, select all, and reset the skip counter (if that's possible). Some manual labor involved, but it's probably the simplest way to do it.

edit: actually, if you just want a random playlist that changes every time iTunes is started... just press play and make sure shuffle is on.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 27, 2010

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

obi_ant posted:

Is it possible to use iTunes to automatically create a playlist with certain themes? Like if I wanted rap songs with lots of piano in them, or songs with lots of sexual content from rock. Would there be a way to do this?

The theme of music would have to exist in the file tag somewhere, of each individual music file. Unless there's some Pandora plugin for iTunes I'm not aware of...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's on the very first page of the preferences dialog. Untick it. Is Apple still analyzing everything you do in their application? Probably.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

But... wouldn't doing that possibly give you an entry in an error.log for an invalid file (depending on the transcoder and the issue, if any, with the file)?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Myrmidongs posted:

I'm trying to solve an interesting problem dealing with iTunes.

Computer A
This is my computer with my podcasts, but also has all of my music, etc. This is where I sync my iPod up to so I can get everything

Computer B
This is my computer on which I only want podcasts. I will never sync my iPod here, and I only want it to sync the podcasts from my library on Computer A.

Does anyone know how I can do this? I was trying to figure out a way using Dropbox, but everything I've thought of wouldn't work.

What's your goal here? To play podcasts on a different PC?

The way I see it, you have four options, all of which avoid dickering about with iTunes:

1. Listen to podcasts on your iPod, so you can listen to them anywhere. You can also connect your iPod to your PC, and use SharePod or something similar to play the podcasts directly from it.
2. Set up a podcatcher on B to download podcasts independently of A.
3. Many podcasts have ways to listen to them directly from their web pages.
4. Stream podcasts from A to B using a streaming server or a file server.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Master_Odin posted:

So in an attempt to make my media keys useful on my keyboard, I've been using AutoHotKey as well as keyboard shortcuts for iTunes. It works (for the most part, sometimes the play key doesn't work, but I can live with that). However, I have one last media key "Stop" and I can't seem to figure out if there's indeed a stop key in iTunes outside of being in a playlist while playing from the library. Yet, iTunesKeys (or whatever it was called had it) so it's got to exist. Anyone happen to know it?

I use HKTunes, which is built upon AHK: http://code.google.com/p/hktunes/
Works fine for me, and you can probably take a peek at the source code if you'd rather keep all your AHK stuff together. To its credit, HKTunes disappears if you close iTunes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions or tools for album-level volume normalization? I love ReplayGain in foobar2000, but I wish I could carry it over to iTunes and thereby my iOS devices. It's irritating that iTunes will only normalize every track individually.

MP3Gain. Been using it since discovering that my first iPod had a flabby amp that couldn't deal with moderate bass. http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ridonkulous posted:

Why is it that Smartlists can not update themselves on an Ipod/Iphone?
Is this technology we can reasonably expect in the future?

Wanna know something funny? They used to. I have an old iPod Nano that still does it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

niss posted:

Is there a way to make a playlist that just contains playlists. I'm not seeing a way to do this from my iphone. Is this option available from within itunes.

Look one post up. iTunes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dimentia posted:

Google Image Search the name of the album, pick the scan you like the best (Amazon usually has good quality scans of album art), select every track of the album, right-click (or Cmd-click, if you're one of those sorts of Mac users) and select "Get Info", and then drag the image of the album art into the Artwork box.

I don't know if this is still true, but in my experience, there's a difference between dragging and dropping the image onto the Info dialog, and clicking the image box and selecting the album art the hard way. The former seems to only associate the art with the album within iTunes, the latter directly embeds the image in the mp3 files selected. (Windows)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Is there a way to delete all songs in a certain playlist, but not just delete them from that playlist but your library as well?

My file organization has slowly gotten out of control, and I want to switch to letting iTunes handle it. However I also want to take this opportunity to clean out my library. I made a playlist with all the songs I'm keeping, and created a smart playlist for all the songs NOT in the 'keeping' playlist. I now want to delete all those songs in the 'not keeping' playlist so those aren't copied to the new library location when I let iTunes takes over.

That's confusing to explain, but hopefully you get what I mean. I'm using iTunes 10 for PC.

Since you want to delete them anyway, just tag them all with KILLMENOW in any of the fields. Filter that in your Library view, then delete.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

moms pubis posted:

Wow, 10.5 is a lot more responsive on my dusty old P4 than 10.4 was.

Hm, this is odd. I pick apart the iTunes installer and install only the bits I want manually, and this time, there's no separate (and required) installer for QuickTime. Any relation to your performance boost, I wonder?

New startup program, "Apple Push." (APSDaemon.exe) Well, I'll just 'push' this into my growing list of disabled Apple poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just speaking personally, I maintain a fairly anal-retentive music library with my own folders and tags, and if you do this from the start, it's not that tough to keep going. Starting from a 50GB+ library, it's a bit of work, but iTunes is anything but transparent about how it works and is likely to change things without telling you, and it's well known for destroying entire directories of stuff with no recovery options.

It's worth the minimum effort to keep iTunes' meathooks out of your music, if you have the personality type for it. For everyone else, it's still OK to criticize iTunes for having a free pass when it comes to... well... just about everything. They don't even publish changelogs, and no one calls them on it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's also redundant. iTunes itself checks for updates without Apple Software Updater installed.

e: Although it's useful if you don't want to bother installing the updates yourself. But I usually like to wait a while before updating iTunes to avoid any issues that crop up, though they have been pretty good about avoiding disaster for quite some time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Any experiences yet with the new and no doubt vastly improved iTunes on Windows? I wonder how many hidden services and supplementary software I'll have to keep from hijacking my PC this time.

e: welp, I'm dumb. Thanks. vvvv

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 24, 2012

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Other than personal preference for the streamlined design, is there any reason to update to 11? I'm mostly seeing complaints, issues, and missing features. (Windows 7, here.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm still running the last version of iTunes (happily, I might add), and I've always wondered something: when iTunes downloads podcasts, it makes an enormous amount of racket on the hard drive. I download and stream stuff all the time, my hard drive doesn't make hardly a sound. I download a podcast, it sounds like the entire disk is being defragged. What in the hell is iTunes doing?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't have 11, but if this happened in 10, I'd play the file, go back to the view where I can't see it, then hit Ctrl-L which snaps to wherever the file is.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

After years of being tolerable, upgrading to 12.2.0145 has somehow made iTunes very slow to respond. This is on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. There's a good 3-4 second time gap between clicking and responding if the iTunes window is not already focused. This has never happened before, is this at all common?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Abel Wingnut posted:

ok is it normal for itunes to take three seconds to respond to clicks within it? for instance, when itunes it out of focus, and i want to switch from my current program to it, i'll click it and it'll take three seconds to come into focus. then when it is in focus, starting and stopping takes three seconds. sometimes it happens instantly as it should. but most times there's lag. itunes is the only program on my computer that does this. and i just built this thing with 16gb and a xeon 8-core processor so i'm pretty sure the machine can handle itunes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022963&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=130#post447647309

No idea.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Are there any alternative visualizers for iTunes? I'd like one that's dazzling and more responsive to music than the default (which spawns globes and sperm all over the place no matter what's going on), and another one that doesn't impact CPU/GPU that much.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Go to view>visualizer and there's 4 others to choose from. Jelly is pretty cool without being super intensive.

Also, hit the "n" key while default one is running and it'll disable the fog effects which seems to drive most of its gpu usage.

Prob because I'm on Windows 7, I only get two: the default one, and the old one that used to be the default one. :-\

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TACD posted:

If you're on Windows you can still install Winamp and get Milkdrop, the One True Visualizer.

Tell me how to load it into iTunes, and you've given me new information. I'd love me some milkdrop.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TACD posted:

I've been trying to find out how to do exactly this for years. At one point I came across an iTunes port but whatever plugin support it relied on had long since been removed from iTunes :(

Honestly, I wonder if the Milkdrop dev could be talked into setting up a Kickstarter for an iTunes port, because that's something I'd definitely throw down some money for.

Edit: Actually, I might be thinking of ProjectM. Could never figure out how to get it set up.

I tried seeing if I could get Winamp to pipe the stereo mix through Milkdrop, but it doesn't seem to have that sort of option.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Weedle posted:

I wish I knew why Apple is so averse to allowing users to toggle interface settings like that. Tuck it away in an Advanced dialog somewhere if they're afraid of Joe Random freaking out over too many options. Let the user with a bunch of playlists use the sidebar and let the user who prefers to minimize empty space use the drop-down.

Because We Know Better

Does this version still let you disable the iTunes store in Parental Settings? Never needed that thing around.

And, if anyone gives a crap, here's the stuff on Windows that iTunes 12.3 (the old version) installed that aren't required for every user, if you care about spare applications running in the background at all times whether you need them or not:
  • Apple Push
  • Apple Software Update
  • Bonjour
  • iTunesHelper.exe
  • Apple Mobile Device Service (required for syncing to a device)
  • iPodService
For example, if don't sync through WiFi, you have no need for Bonjour and can uninstall it.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 18, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Apple doesn't seem to be very interested in giving that fine a grain of settings to their users. I've used iTunes for about a decade and the usual question of "Is there a way to turn this 'helpful' feature that just appeared without my consent off?" is nearly always answered with, "No, this is just how it is now."

I don't use album ratings at all; I just rate tracks. What it seems to do (and frankly, I like it this way) is just average out my song ratings and gives the whole album a 'soft' rating. So sort of the inverse of what you're doing/seeing.

I guess one thing you could do is create a smart playlist of songs by unplayed and rated, and just start manually rating them. That's assuming you rate your played tracks, though, so maybe another list of recently played and rated? I'm sure someone can probably better solve it than that, or you can make it a habit to just rate songs as they're played or some other form of tedium.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 16, 2016

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

One day, iTunes decides to pre-rate all your unrated songs and albums for you, based on what other people who own similar albums collections to yours have rated them as. This would be a separate rating, called MatchRank, and for stuff you've already rated that are off by more than a standard deviation, it will auto-correct it for you (enabled by default).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Modern Leper posted:

Three or four times a year I migrate everything over to MediaMonkey, but I always come crawling back because of the strength of iTunes's smart playlist. If only I weren't so lazy about making and maintaining playlists...

Thanks for making this post, because I keep thinking I should check out MediaMonkey, and if it can't Smart Playlist, it's not ever gonna be an option for me.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I started out managing podcasts on iTunes, so they do show up one iPhone, but only once I've selected them to do so. The app itself (which may be out of date for you since I am on an old iPhone) seems to absorb those subs as well as have its own subscriptions, which iTunes seems to ignore.

When I started using the app after a hiatus it was a race to keep it from auto subscribing and downloading a thousand podcasts I used to have an only pay attention to my current iTunes subs.

It's pretty dumb design.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Snuffman posted:

I miss the the colorful backgrounds generated from album art in album view. :sigh:

I hate it!

Is it a stark white now, or something even more unwanted, like each album now has an embedded Apple Music web page that slides out with recommendations and ways to share on social media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh my god stop loving with the mini player. They removed the quick 5-star rating a while ago, but now the player looks like dogshit. A progress bar with huge font. Get the gently caress outta here.

I noticed that the music player on my iphone doesn't allow star ratings anymore, have they done away with them completely now, or just made them more difficult to access? I ain't upgrading mine to find out (12.4.1.6)