Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've very grudgingly decided to install itunes for the first time, since I'm going to be buying an iphone soon, and I've tried to import all my existing ripped cds into itunes - however for some reason itunes dumps all the songs into a single 'unknown artist' folder. Is there any relatively pain free way I can get itunes to sort everything properly by artist and album, besides deleting my music collection and re ripping all my CDs?

My preference is to rip everything in WAV - I've heard before that itunes has some issues with wav support, is this true and could it be the cause of my issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sigma posted:

As a rule of thumb, iTunes only plays nice with MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless. I'm not even sure that WAV files can hold metadata, and stock iTunes can't take filenames and parse them into tags (though I'm sure some combination of Apple Script and Regex could).

Your best bet might be using libavcodec to encode into Apple Lossless and go from there.

How broadly supported is apple lossless? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if I want to leave the ecosystem later on. It's disappointing itunes doesn't support MP3 lossless at least.

Would encoding my music into apple lossless add the appropriate metadata? Which program would I use to do this? Handbrake?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

astr0man posted:

There's no such thing as MP3 lossless. If you rip to apple lossless you can convert it to whatever else you want later on (FLAC/WAV/high bitrate MP3/whatever) without losing any fidelity, that's the whole point of lossless compression.

edit: what were you using before to keep your music organised?

JRiver. I've also used mediamonkey and windows media player in the past - all of them had no trouble with WAV, with a folder per artist and a subfolder per album, and all of them could just pull the appropriate information they needed from the internet to get album covers and stuff. Itunes doesn't seem to recognize that I have different albums, let alone the imbecilic way it wants to copy all my music to a new itunes folder.

I was hoping iOS had advanced to the point where I could avoid using itunes at all, but then I find out I need itunes even for simple poo poo like adding a custom ringtone, or moving stuff from my PC to my phone.

Edit: If I use another program like dBpoweramp to rip stuff into Apple lossless - Since Itunes doesn't appear to have any sort of functionality equivalent to accuraterip - Itunes should still be able to handle it correctly right?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 14, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

If you've accurately named your folders/subfolders/tracks, etc., you can tag the converted files with mp3tag. Really, this is for the best - I can't think of a single benefit to relying on WAV files in TYOOL 2015 (to be honest, I'm not even sure if AccurateRip has been a necessary feature since like 2010).

I never saw the point of converting, since hard drive space is the only real benefit (till now) and these days it's a non issue - my music folder only occupies a few hundred gigs even as WAV.

Will mp3tag work with apple lossless? That sounds like the optimum solution if i can just point it at the music folder and let it run. If I have to manually tag a few hundred albums worth of songs track by track I'd rather just re rip everything - at least then I could just read a book and swap cds over every few minutes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thanks

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Does anyone have any idea why I can't seem to get songs to copy themselves from itunes onto my iphone? I have an iphone 6S plus running the latest version of iOS, and I'm running the latest version of itunes on windows 10.

Edit: in case it matters, the songs were ripped from CDs, in apple lossless.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 28, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Minidust posted:

You could try making a playlist just for songs you want to add to the phone, and syncing that playlist. Not sure if the check marks would overrule that though.
If iCloud Music Library is enabled on iTunes or the iPhone itself, turn it off. You can sync the traditional way and then re-enable iCloud Music. It's annoying but I guess they really want to push people to use iCloud stuff exclusively. Plus I guess it makes sense to make it the default on new phones, since the old option assumes you have a separate device you sync from and that probably isn't the case for a large portion of iPhone buyers.

I read about that when I tried to google the problem - I've never used iCloud music. The problem was, all the guides I turned up seem to have been written at a time when there was an actual setting labeled 'iCloud Music' to toggle, whereas now it falls under the setting 'show apple music'. I turned it off and it now works fine.

I'm glad it's sorted, the less time I spend in that godforsaken program the better. Itunes is not good for my blood sugar levels.

Edit: gently caress, it's synced everything except for 2 albums, which it refuses to copy across... what the gently caress?!

Edit 2: OK - Turns out the two albums that I thought weren't being copied across, are in fact being copied, but the songs only show up on the iphone in 'song' view, not in Album view or Artist view. I have no idea how to fix this.

Edit 3: Finally fixed it - turns out if you have 'this album is a compilation' selected the albums are segregated into their own little section and don't appear under artists or Album views for some idiotic reason. gently caress ITUNES THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED TO BE DOING AT 1:30AM

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 28, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Did you check to see if iTunes stuck it in a "compilations" or "various artists" folder? even though it probably doesn't belong there but still.

I've decided to move to an Android phone for at least the next year so I've been experimenting with iTunes replacements (Mediamonkey mostly but also TunesGo/MobileGo, Tomahawk, Google Music and even good old Winamp and of course VLC which I already use) none seem to be able to bang out smart playlists of my existing music like iTunes, meh. I got a feeling I'll keep iTunes on my pc just to do playlists and support my car ipod classic and an old iphone 4s I use for bluetooth music with my Bose Soundlink when I'm out golfing.

Also just remembered to un-DRM around 500 songs I had forgetten were DRM'd so TuneClone came in handy there.

You have to pay for it but jriver is pretty much the best thing out there.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Good to see it isn't just the Windows version of iTunes that is complete poo poo. I solved my iTunes problem by using Apple Music for everything. I can stream, and even download any album I've ever owned, plus any future albums i care to have, and I only have to interact with iTunes every now and then when I decide to do a backup.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Avocados posted:

iTunes axed all my music on my phone and won't let me port it over from my macbook. Before that, it keeps prompting me to enter my iCloud password whenever I open the program. After entering the password, iTunes hangs on "Loading iCloud music library" until I relaunch the program out of frustration. I disabled iCloud, but it seems that I lost 700 of my songs when I did that, despite them being on my computer and iPhone, all connected and authorized together. After putting iTunes in its place a year ago and getting everything to work harmoniously, this all happening with the Apple Music / iCloud Push is way too frustrating. I think i'm past fretting about my music. I just want to know: is there any way to get past the "Loading iCloud Music Library" message?

And alternatively, how can I nuke my music from iTunes and my iPhone once I finish porting everything to Spotify? I'm tired of iTunes nagging me about all the new problems when I perform the heinous act of plugging in my phone.

I've pretty much used the latter program for months now for music discovery and mobile listening. I think i'm going to just integrate my old music into iTunes.

e: actually, im just going to rant more. I loved the fact Apple iPhones operate so consistently across the board and work in a predictable fashion. It's clear Apple makes every effort to ensure anyone can use an iPhone. Now, where the hell did that whole philosophy go for iTunes? I know iPhones more or less came after iTunes, but still..how can a program be so restrictive, yet so prone to confusing rules and policies? I'm pretty much at the point of refusing to learn this software, because I figured out its unruly ways back in 2014 and now it found a whole new way to be incredibly annoying and confusing in 2015. I'm 23 for christ's sake, why do I feel like an old man using software that is supposed to work with phones that everyone uses?

I feel better now.

e2: did iTunes convert all my mp3 files to their own m4p files

To be honest this all sounds like normal behaviour for itunes.

Itunes is the reason I subscribe to apple music - It's easier to access any album I want through that on my iphone and never touch itunes except for the rare backup, rather than try to rip all my albums and sync them using itunes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If any of you have ever wanted to read the Itunes Terms and Conditions, but found it too dense, a nice man just turned the entire thing into a graphic novel:

http://itunestandc.tumblr.com/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

A) That only addresses one half of the problem.

B) That's not the way human taste works. Just because I rate an album 5 stars doesn't mean that every song is a five star song. Plus, iTunes acts the same way with four stars, three stars, etc. Blanket song ratings based on album rating is illogical.

Logic abandoned itunes and those responsible for it a long time ago. There remains only a seething mass of chaos, ever expanding feeding off the shattered dreams of those damned souls condemned to suffer through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm trying to rent a movie on itunes. It gets me to put in my apple ID details, I hit 'rent' It does that spinning thing, and then it returns to the main store page of the movie I was renting, and the rental button is grayed out. But nothing appears in my library, and my credit card never gets charged. I've tried a number of times over several days. Anybody know what's happening? I'm running windows 10 and the latest version of itunes.