Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This question got lost in the software megathread, so I'll ask here: my iTunes podcasts don't update properly. As in, I set my rules to keep the last five episodes, but it always goes over, and I find myself having to manually delete podcasts to keep it at five. This happens if I have all of the podcasts listened to, some, or none. Any reason why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

IUG posted:

Couldn't you make a smart playlist that has a limit of 5 items? You could turn off automatic updating if you're getting backed up on the ones you haven't listened to yet if the show updates a lot.

Yeah, but that's not really the point..the 'smart playlist' really should be iTunes only keeping the five most recent episodes of each podcast. It used to do it, and I don't remember changing any settings, so I was just wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem. Also I don't want to make a smart playlist for every podcast I have, since this is something iTunes is supposed to do automatically.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

maltesh posted:

Have you checked to make sure that the "Keep only the five most recent episodes" is set as behavior for "All Podcasts" or if all of your individual podcasts are set to ignore this behavior?

Itunes allows you to configure settings for all your podcasts as a group, as well as individual podcasts. The words on the "Settings" button don't change to alert you of this, however, though the window that pops up can alert you to this.

If you have no podcasts selected when you click the "Settings" button, it's changing the settings for all your podcasts. If you have one podcast selected when you click the "Settings" button, it's changing the settings for those individual podcasts, and the latter can override the former, if you've got "Use Default Setttings" unchecked for that Podcast.

That's the only thing I can think of that might be responsible for this issue.

I just went through and checked all my podcasts, and they're all set to use default settings. My podcast defaults are to download the most recent episode, and to keep the last 5 episodes. Still no good.

For example, I'm subscribed to the Adam Carolla podcast. I removed all the podcasts last week, and let them start downloading again. Last friday it hit 5 podcasts, and this morning it refreshed and downloaded the new episode, but still didn't remove the oldest one. I played through the full episode of the newest one, and nothing got removed after I finished either. And I checked, and all of them have a playcount of at least one.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want to edit my 'top rated' playlist to NOT include pop music UNLESS the artist is, say, David Bowie, is it possible to do this?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Triple Tech posted:

Any
-> Artist contains David Bowie
-> Genre is not Pop

Hmm, I must have had that set up incorrectly. Working now, thanks!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Alfalfa posted:

I fixed it. I just deleted it and did it again same way and it took all the songs out. Who knows.

I've actually fixed two of my playlists by doing this. Anyone who has problems with playlists not doing what they're supposed to, try deleting them and trying again. Weird fix, I know, but it's helped in at least three cases now.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I completely forgot that back in 2007 I purchased Lost Season 2 from iTunes. I went to download it today, but it doesn't appear as an available download when I go into my account settings. However, I've got the receipt of purchase in my purchase history. When I try to download the season from the store, it gives me a warning that my card will be instantly charged. Do I need to email apple, or is there another way to get this to download without having to pay again?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a whole bunch of songs that have information tagged in the 'sort' fields that I can't remove. The sort field information is greyed out in iTunes, and every time I remove the information from the track, it stays there. I checked the permissions on a few of these files, and I can read/write them all. What am I missing here?

edit: I should say that I can add information to the sort fields, but even after adding, saving, and removing, it goes back to the greyed out information. For example, all of Abbey Road's songs have 'sort artist' fields of 'Beatles'. I can put in whatever I want in that field and it will show up, but if I set it to have nothing in that field, it goes back to 'Beatles'.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 18, 2011

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cerv posted:

You've got 'The Beatles' in the artist field then iTunes autopopulates 'Beatles' so they appear under B not T.
What else is it that you want tunes to do?

:doh: I had no idea that iTunes autopopulated those fields for sorting purposes. The way I was looking at my library, the sort tags looked almost completely random, like I had some sort of weird second ID3 tag that wouldn't go away. Now that I know what it's doing, this makes a whole lot more sense. Thank you for for helping my OCD!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Any reason why my podcast artwork seems to be randomly appearing/disappearing? I just started paying attention, but at least the Carolla show, Sklarbro Country, WTF, and How Did This Get Made have all had artwork either appear or disappear without warning. Everything's automated at this point, so I don't know if I messed something up or if it's just iTunes being weird.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to add old tracks to a current podcast? I've got a few old episodes of a podcast (Dan Carlin's Hardcore History) that I'd like to put back in iTunes, but every time I try to drag them to iTunes, they show up as a separate podcast.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Got another problem..I've been adding a bunch of audiobooks to iTunes, and despite the fact that each book has 'remember playback position' checked, and the format is set to audiobook, iTunes always reverts back to the 1st file when I try to resume playback. Do I have to combine all these files into one single file for iTunes to remember where I left off?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Choadmaster posted:

All of my audiobooks are split among multiple files and iTunes remembers my positions just fine. I can't tell you what your problem is, but at least now you know what it's not...

Yeah, it's really strange, as I figured once all the tracks were grouped together under a single audiobook in the books menu it would remember position as 'book x time y' but all it remembers is how far into each individual track I am. So if I get to track 3 minute 5, when I try to play the book again it starts back at track 1, but when it hits track 3 it moves to minute 5. It's doing this for all the books I've added so far..bleh.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
As far as I can tell I've got everything properly tagged..just checked one of the books and all the files have the same Artist, Album Artist, Album, Year, 'of' track # (and all of them have proper #s as well), disc #, and genre. Grouping, composer, comments, and BPM are all blank, but I don't think that'd matter. Under the Options menu, Remember position and skip when shuffling are both Yes.
One thing that is weird is the media kind says Music, but all the files are located under the Books section of iTunes. When I change that to Audiobook and select OK, then check again, it's back to music..is that normal or is something weird going on?

edit: just checked, and when I look at individual tracks, the media kind is listed as Audiobook, so I doubt that's the problem either...

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 25, 2012

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Anmitzcuaca posted:

make sure you are the owner of the files in your iTunes library and that you have full write permissions, sometimes you'll only have read access to a file and it makes things not work properly.

Yup, all the permissions seem to be fine too. Just tried removing all the audiobooks from the library, moved the folder out of the iTunes music folder, restarted the computer, re-added the files to iTunes, set the media type to audiobook...still no luck..bleh.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fordan posted:

You should be able to right click on the podcast, tell it to show all available episodes, then click the get button to download them. If you want to keep them around, be sure to select those episodes, right click and tell iTunes to not allow auto delete.

That worked for most of my podcasts, but a few of them have removed old episodes from the RSS feed (This American Life, DCHH, etc.) so this won't work unfortunately.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Still having problems with the multi-part audiobooks. I've gone as far as buying the Audiobook Builder software and using that in an attempt to create apple-specific audiobook files with no luck. For reference, I've now tried multiple books in mp3, m4a, and m4b formats, and NONE of them resume playback on the correct part of a multi-part book. Am I missing something completely obvious here, or does iTunes just not handle audiobooks correctly at all?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Choadmaster posted:

Did you check every single file? Maybe only the first is getting marked as an audiobook when you're trying to change the set or something.

Yep, I've gone through and checked all the settings and id3 tags individually as well. I've even got a set of files in m4b format, all tagged correctly, which is supposed to be Apple's audiobook format. I'm starting to feel crazy here because I've gone over the settings about a hundred times now and any article I look up about this stuff on google is usually from 2009 or so. I'm starting to feel crazy now, like I'm expecting some functionality that just isn't in there.

edit: after loading some books on my iPod classic and finding that the audiobooks menu is just a gigantic list of files rather than categorized by book, I'm going to just go with the assumption that apple doesn't support multi-part audiobooks the way I wanted. Thanks for the help all, this doesn't seem to be a fight worth fighting anymore though..

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 27, 2012

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fordan posted:

I'm confused by what you're trying to do. You should be making a single book file with multiple chapters. If it's a big book, break up up into like 5-10 hour chunks to keep the file sizes decent and limit the number of chapters you have to sequence through. iTunes/iPods/iPhones/etc should keep track of where you are in any given chunk.

If you do a "Get Info" on the file you're not able to hold your position on, does it have "Remember Playback Position" checked under options?

I have a large number of audiobooks broken up into individual chapter files (chapter 1.mp3, chapter 2.mp3, etc...) and it seemed to me that, once under one 'book' in the audiobook menu, iTunes would have remembered both what file and where in that file I'd left off. Even if this wasn't the case, I was expecting the iPod Audiobooks menu to be broken down by book, rather than a huge list of individual files. I was wrong on both counts. I'm in the process of converting each audiobook to a single .m4b file now so it's pretty much a non-issue now, I think i was expecting some functionality that iTunes/my iPod don't provide.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if this'll help anyone else, but I posted in this thread earlier about my problem with Podcasts not being grouped together properly in the podcast menu. If anyone is interested in fixing that problem, I used MP3Tag to access the extended ID3 tags on some of the files I was having problems with. I copied the EDIT: PODCASTURL field from one of the 'good' podcasts, added it to the files I wanted to get included in the podcast, and voila! Everything is showing up properly now.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 30, 2012

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Regnevelc posted:

I am letting iTunes manage my music now. However, prior to letting them do that I didn't go through and check the "part of a compilation" check on the items that I needed to (mixtapes and all). If I go back through and click on these will iTunes automatically update their folder? Or am I hosed?

You'll be just fine, once you do so iTunes will move every album you checked into the 'Compilations' folder automatically.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Packard Goose posted:

Actually it isn't. The word 'Windows' appears once on the entire first page, and the instructions and images are all for Mac users.

Come on, had it been there as obviously as the Mac instructions I wouldn't have posted all this retarded garbage for the last two pages.

I used iTunes on my Windows PC for a few years in-between Apple laptops, and it was just as easy to use on Windows as it has been on my Macs. The images in the OP are pretty much exactly what it looks like on Windows, as well.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I swear someone just posted an app that would do this, but I scanned through the last few pages of the thread and couldn't find it...

I'm looking for an OSX app that will tag mp3s based on their filename/directory structure - basically, I am getting around to recording LPs and cassettes that I have, and I want to avoid tagging them individually if possible. I asked about this in the OSX app thread, but nobody responded. Here's hoping someone here might know!

I use MusicBrainz Picard, it should do the trick. If you try to tag tracks and it can't figure it out, you can manually add the album to the program and assign the tracks yourself, it'll do the actual tagging.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Why did itTunes just delete literally every podcast on my computer? I changed the settings for one of my podcasts to only download the most recent episode (as opposed to all), the program froze, and when I looked in the finder, I suddenly had an extra 15 free gigs of space. They're all gone, all of my subscriptions are gone in iTunes... :smith: What in the hell just happened?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did they get rid of 'Recently Added' for podcasts? I also dislike having to turn the sidebar on to get to my music playlists because I don't need or want the sidebar for podcasts.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tankadillo posted:

It's hidden by default, for some reason. Hover over library in the sidebar and click "edit" to reveal the checkbox to bring it back.

Ah, thanks! Still wish they'd just left it at the top of the podcast list, but at least it's still there.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
One of my podcasts has an episode that no longer shows up in the Feed, but appears under the Unplayed tab. I checked the website and in the iTunes and it shows there, is there a way to get it to show up in the Feed again?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed that iTunes (most recent version on OSX) is storing my music in 2 different folders:

Music/iTunes/iTunes Music
Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music

I don't know when it started to store stuff in the iTunes Media/Music folder. I've got the setting checked to automatically organize the media folder but there are still (edit: 90gigs) of files in the iTunes Music folder (but several directories with 0 files in them) and from what I can tell, at least some of the files are duplicates. Is there an easy way to merge everything into a single main Music directory?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 14, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I gave that a shot, but in the ~20 minutes since, the size of the old directory (not in iTunes Media) hasn't changed at all. The 1st 10 artists I've found with non-0 directories seem to be duplicates, but I don't want to just erase the entire directory in case some of the files get lost.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice all; I tried everything recommended and still wasn't able to easily sort anything out so I went about it the long way, dragging folders of artists in chunks, sorting through a 1-day 'recently added' playlist, and comparing any duplicate tracks by albums. Luckily the vast majority of stuff in the old folder was already in my library and was thus not added, so I was able to free up a pretty significant amount of space :toot:

Got another question: if I rate an album, can I turn off the 'feature' where all unrated tracks default to what I rated the album as? I want to make some smart playlists using album ratings but when I do that, any unrated tracks get the album rating and then end up in my Top Rated playlists which I don't want to happen.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

Not sure if I understand correctly, but does making the smart playlist based on Album Rating instead of just Rating make a difference?

The album rating works fine, it's the fact that tracks I haven't rated get assigned ratings based on the album rating and then get added to my 'top rated' playlist for individual tracks. So if I rated, say, the White Album by The Beatles as a 5, any songs from that album that don't have an individual rating get assigned a 5 and thus are added to my Top Rated Songs playlist.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

Apple doesn't seem to be very interested in giving that fine a grain of settings to their users. I've used iTunes for about a decade and the usual question of "Is there a way to turn this 'helpful' feature that just appeared without my consent off?" is nearly always answered with, "No, this is just how it is now."

That's been my experience too :( I've actually got a 'needs a rating' playlist set up where if a song doesn't have a rating after 5 plays it'll show up, but I've still got a lot of work to do to get my song ratings up to par and a lot of my library is stuff I recently ripped from my CD collection and haven't had the time/desire to get that picky. Maybe I'll just 'heart' some albums for the time being, unless that does something else I don't know about?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The little icon for 'playing' doesn't show up anymore for podcasts on itunes 12.5.5.5 (OSX 10.12.2, 10.12.3). It shows for music, this happen to anyone else?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've asked before, but do podcasts not have the 'now playing' icon next to them anymore? Mine's been missing for the past few osx/itunes updates and the problem persisted through a completely clean installation.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
so i just plugged my phone into my laptop to charge it because i didn't have a spare port and it just deleted like half my podcasts from itunes, including some shows that don't have feeds anymore. what the loving gently caress itunes and podcasts apps :sigh:

e: so it turns out even if I download an episode of a podcast in iTunes with 'delete played episodes off', if 'delete played episodes' is on in iOS it overwrites it, just did a test. This is the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard of. I shouldn't have to go into each loving device and manually mark stuff as played on all 3 just because I listened to something on my laptop instead of my iPhone that day. Apparently my phone hadn't been syncing w/ the laptop automatically until I plugged it in.

jfc...

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
my podcast erasing issue was the first major one i've had with iTunes to be honest. I still have no loving clue what happened there. Still pissed off about it but since starting from the beginning (deleted everything from itunes and Podcasts on iOS) syncing seems to be working fine now? Knock on wood.