Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Is there a decent way to use OGG/FLAC in iTunes yet? I'm talking complete with tag support, gapless playback, the works. My collection's about half OGG, half MP3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

SmirkingJack posted:

I asked in the Mac Software thread but I might as well ask here too. I am about to purchase Jaikoz. The demo has done a good job so far and I want to bang this tagging thing out. Before I do, is there any feedback on the app, or other (free) alternatives that work just as well? I like the idea of discovering the song by an acoustic ID as opposed to existing tags. I also signed up for the Mac beta of TuneUp, but they haven't sent me any super secret access yet and I want to get this out of the way. OS X, in case it needed to be said.

Not totally sure if this is an alternative, but the best replacement I've found for Foobar2000's tagging functionality is entagged. The GUI isn't anything, and it's made as Java multiplatform so there's none of that good OSX consistency, but it has great tagging automations including freedb lookups for albums.

Foobar2000 is the only thing I really miss about Windows since switching to OSX.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

VERTICAL WIPE! posted:

Dammit. After reading the readme, I think trying to get entagged to run on OSX is above my skill level.

It seems like there isn't really a free go-to tagging program for OSX. Basically I want to run my music through a tagger before I drop it in iTunes. On Windows I used MediaMonkey for this and it worked flawlessly.

iTunes tagging is decent, but it can't autotag from Amazon or anywhere else. What if an album has no track numbers/year? It should be easy for iTunes to add them in, but the only way I know now is to do it manually (in the case of track number, one by one).

At this point I might even be willing to pay something.

Edit: TriTag seems to be a pretty decent free tagging program. http://osx.iusethis.com/app/tritag

Sorry about that, not all the versions work in OSX, and there's more of them since I started using it. Version 0.30, download the .zip, run the .jar.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Man I hope there's a good solution to this.

I'm running OSX, with iTunes and the library file stored locally and my library stored on an external HD, everything HFS+. The HD died, I was able to manually back up my collection before it went, and so I have my 10,000 piece collection on a new external, with the same volume name and file structure as the old one. My music collection is fine, my iTunes.db is fine, with all my precious playcount and rating data. My problem is, even though the file structure is identical, iTunes wants me to manually re-locate every song. I don't want to delete and re-import it, because I have like two years of playcount/rating data I would lose, but doing it manually is going to take weeks. Is there a quick fix?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

chimz posted:

Did you set your iTunes music library location to the new place in Preferences>Advanced, and then try to relocate one song? Did you have iTunes organizing the songs? I've found that it tends to look for other songs in the same relative place once you relocate one of the songs.

Ah man I solved my problem - I was looking at the difference between the file structures in the info > location, and I realized that my backup was Volumes/External/Audio while the old one was /Volumes/External/Media/Audio. Threw the Audio folder in a Media folder and things are connecting just fine. I owe ya, it's not technically what you were asking but I wouldn't have taken the time to look at that without you responding to me.