Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Captain Charisma posted:

They altered the right click menu and for a week or so it's going to drive me loving nuts. I, by instinct, go to the very top for Get Info and the bottom for Get Album Artwork. They've added a Play/Pause button to the very top, and made Get Album Artwork third or so. :argh:

This has been driving me nuts. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I recently got an iPhone and have to start using iTunes. I have it running on my Windows7 HTPC. I have to say, I hate it. My HTPC is medium range, and I have about 30gb of music. iTunes loves to crash. About half the times I connect my iPhone, make a change, and sync, the process hangs. I let it sit for a while, but end up killing the process manually. I'm not sure what it is, but it really sucks.

One other thing I had about it is that for some reason I can't click the "File" menu in the window menu bar. I can click on tab right next to it, and then scroll over, but if I click file doesn't work. Is that supposed to happen?

I do like the Genius function, especially because no matter what song out of the 35GBs of songs I have, it produces a playlist with nearly the exact same 25 songs. Somehow it links "Girl" by Beck to every song I attempt to Genius with. I guess maybe I need more historical data of rated songs.

Not to come off like a fan boy, but for a long time I just used Windows Media Player with drag and drop sync, and for a while I used a Zune, and I preferred both methods to iTunes. I'm going to peruse this thread and see if there's any tips to make my iTunes experience better.

One question, I have is there a way to tell my iTunes account to always download in MP3 format? That way I don't have to convert everything I buy to MP3, duplicating it in my library, so my wife can get the music on her non-Apple MP3 player.

Not to come off as a fanboy, but you really leapt into a pretty sizable expense without working out everything involved. You may want to check in the Foobar thread (I know it's been made to work with the iPod, I'm not sure about the iPhone). I've never experienced the software problems you're having, though -- you may want to consider reinstalling.

As for the store -- Apple doesn't sell MP3s. They've never sold mp3s. Rather than having a library full of duplicate files, why don't you just buy from Amazon -- which does sell mp3s? (EDIT: It also often has lower prices)

On my own front -- the "automatically convert" option sounds awesome, since I have a lot of Apple Lossless files. I'm not going to use it though, since a lot of my files are simply 256 kbps or 192 kbps mp3s (hell, iTMS sells at 256 kbps), and I don't want hobbled versions of those on my iPod. Wish there were a way to set the threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Anyone having trouble creating smart playlists that reference other playlists in the new iTunes. Running on Windows 7, and smart playlists with the rule "Playlist is" is resulting in an empty list.

Not directly related, but I'm also irritated that I can't just play a playlist folder with a Touch the way that I could with my iPod Classic. It would largely eliminate the need for the first question.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I had to manually add in a few podcasts that for some reason weren't pulled from the iTunes store. Now, the manually listed podcasts are listed as "unknown category." Is there a way to manually edit this information for individual files (rather than editing an xml feed as a podcast creator)?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just a word of warning for last.fm users: Apple is pushing an update that seems to completely disable scrobbling of iTunes tracks (desktop and ipod).

http://www.last.fm/forum/21713/_/657251

I jumped in blindly, and it looks like I'm SoL until at least Monday.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Monkeyseesaw posted:

He's filling the luddite role quite nicely. He's literally called the Internet a "fad" and that was like 6 months ago.

Not a Prince apologist, but this is kinda unfair. It's forgotten in history, but Prince was actually one of the first artists to embrace the internet. He created a massive web portal that promised fans access to rarities and video tracks back when Real was still the dominant mode of media distribution. Unfortunately, the technology couldn't keep up with his vision, and the project failed.

What Prince was talking about is nothing more than what people already sort of understand . . . if you're already selling 10+ million albums worldwide, the Internet isn't really a useful way to monetize your product. The "fad" is the idea that everyone's going to make millions through their Myspace Music page.

The interview was strictly in the context of the music industry. It's still a fairly outdated view of the industry, but it's not as though Prince is living in a yurt.

EDIT: "worthwhile"!="worldwide"

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 20, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

FISHMANPET posted:

Sorry, but Prince is crazy. In practically the same breath he first says he looks for new ways to get his music out, including giving it out for free, then says he won't put his music online because people won't prepay him for the right. Then I'm pretty sure he says the internet is no longer hip, and that technology is bad for you. He also took down his website.

Basically, he's crazy.

Again, though. Mtv was hip in that it was the way for artists to get the word out about their product. Prince still uses the internet for that purpose - he "leaked" his most recent tour announcement through Twitter. He just doesn't see the point in internet sales when he can make more through lump sum deals for newspaper distribution or including albums with ticket purchases. Hell, even Trent Reznor has come out and said that it's better for him if you buy a CD rather than make an iTunes purchase - and Prince isn't even pretending to target a non-boomer market for his music (even if the live shows are cross-generational).

It got him major press, which was the entire point, but Prince is well aware of how to use the internet to work with him. Also, it says something that even with the bloggers yelling "oh, we'll show him," Prince got away with saying that without suffering a pre-release leak. Relevant or not, you think it would've happened just out of spite.

Edit: I haven't heard a new Prince song from beginning to end since he released that three disc best of in the 90s, though I do recall some press when he released the video for "Black Sweat" - online.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 20, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

God Exists. posted:

Uh what tags does Itunes detect? I just added a tag to the "comment" field for a bunch of tracks in Tag&Rename and it's not coming up in the search. Or is it possible to refresh the library or what.

The comments tag is analogous to the iTunes comment tag. I don't know how t&r works, but with mp3tag, you had to be careful that it was writing the wrigte id3 tag (2.3 v. 2.4).

I generally had it write 2.4, then delete everything.

I know there's a wiki that tells you every corresponding field, but that will require a google search.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Mithra6 posted:

I know I quoted a script from this site a couple of posts above:

http://dougscripts.com/

Looking through these, you can do some cool stuff, particularly with tagging and library management. I'm a techie, but I hate scripting. This poo poo here is really easy. I recommend that everyone check it out.

Mac only, so it's not universally helpful. There are some javascript writers, but no repository like this.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
And his shows sold out. He gave away copies of his album with a British newspaper, and there was a sales spike. He may not be a relevant musician, but he will probably own the road as long as he wants to tour. For those people who are still financially interested in him, he makes his music easily (freely) available.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

WeaselWeaz posted:

The copies with the British paper counted as sold too. My point is you aren't selling tons of albums if you have to give them away and claim they're sold based on a technicality. It means he isn't selling all those albums you think he is.

My fault, I guess I put too much emphasis on the 10 million album idea. Doesn't change my underlying argument: for established artists (particularly those with a Boomer or middle age "urban" base) there's much less incentive to buy into digital sales.

Related question: are the Eagles on iTunes?

\/\/\/I was writing from my phone. Simmer down.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 3, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Scattered Brain posted:

Smart playlist question:

I've got a "recently played" playlist with the parameter "last played is in the last 4 weeks," which I sort by the last played column so I have a chronological list of things I've listened to. The problem is, I kinda wish I could also include "last skipped is in the last 4 weeks" as well, but if I do that, I can only sort the whole thing by either the last played OR the last skipped column, and I can't have them all as one chronological list. Is there some way to do this? I don't need this for any real practical use, it's just kinda cool to be able to see everything I listened to in the last month, and I want it to include the tracks I might have only played half of or whatever...

If you click the first column (the numbers), that should sort in the order that the criteria is met. However, songs that are half-played aren't "skipped" for the purpose of iTunes, so the list probably won't do what you want it to: unless they've changed it, skips only register between the first 2 and 20 seconds of playtime.

Second

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Is anyone else experience a problem where purchased tracks and downloaded podcasts aren't getting properly named? The track will just appear in my library with an exclamation point, and when I hunt in the (correct) folder, the track is listed as "download.mp3" or "download.m4a" (or whatever).

I've tried searching Google for information, but it's not recognizing "download.mp3" as a filename search and just brings up references to downloading mp3s.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm

This lets you convert to ALAC, which freac apparently doesn't.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Hotwax Residue posted:

Hmmm. I guess I shouldn't change the tags

Yeah, noticed that. That's gonna be... frustrating. Especially with the way the store handles featured artists.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

AlmightyBob posted:

Great, I don't use playlists and don't listen to singles.

"Song View" is just the same spreadsheet model that's always existed. I even have my column browser in place like I did before I upgraded. If that information is important to you (playcounts, last played, etc. are important to me), just use that view and play your albums the way you always did.

The "old school" list view is still available, they've just reduced its prominence in favor of the type of UI currently in fashion.

IUG posted:

Why did they take the album artwork out of the list view? That is like 90% of my playlists. If I go to artist view then I lose last played, play count, etc etc.

I'm not happy with this update yet.

If you primarily rely on playlists, you can change the view from "List" to "Grid" to "Artist List" -- which includes the album art, along with all the other data.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 30, 2012

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

IUG posted:

Right, but Artist List view doesn't show last played, play count, etc.

EDIT: The Status Bar is completely useless and blank in Grid and Artist List view.

Ugh, you're right. It's like Zune or Spotify: once the song's in the system, it's as if all underlying data ceases to exist. I didn't like it with those programs, and it's actually one reason I started using iTunes again about a month ago.

Dammit, Apple - your users are smart enough to do some things outside a walled garden of aesthetics.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Hotwax Residue posted:

Hmmm. I guess I shouldn't change the tags

Sorry to string replies, but you can hide the Cloud tracks. If you choose the option to show the menu button, there's an option under the view tab to hide music in the cloud.

Showing the menu bar also appears to be the only way to access the visualizer and equalizer without keyboard shortcuts. :smith:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just started using the iTunes music store again after years away. Is it a new development that buying songs from the "Deluxe Edition" of an album gives you "Complete My Album" credit against both the deluxe and standard editions?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Betjeman posted:

Though if you do this you'll hit the same barrier I'm getting, that of rating a song that is currently playing will stop your playlist dead!

I believe if you turn off live updating in your final list, this will resolve this problem. The list should still update if you leave and come back to it, but it won't kick out automatically.

Alternatively, you can dump today's smart playlist into a separate, normal playlist and play from that one.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm rocking a 2009 Dell desktop off the shelf of Best Buy with 4,500 tracks in the library. It's running faster for me. Was a Mac Mini from the same year comparatively underpowered?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

benisntfunny posted:

It did? You guys are pretty funny. Enjoy not buying another iPad -- because all the other out there are way better. Start clickin' with that Surface.

Or the Nexus 4 or the Nexus 7 or any of the other viable alternatives.

Ragequitting Apple is dumb, but snarky fanboyism isn't better.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
There are java scripts or apple scripts that will do exactly this. There are only two real repositories (one for each) that I know of, so a Google search should be effective.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Sorry, on a different topic:

Is it actually impossible to create a playlist of "Unrated Purchases" using iTunes Match? I can get a playlist of purchases, and can refine by other categories (e.g., "Purchased is TRUE" AND "Artist is Donovan"). The system doesn't appear to recognize any ratings-based filters in a playlist of purchased tracks. iTunes narrows down accordingly, but the iPhone only shows a complete list of all purchased songs.

EDIT: So, apparently, you have to back into the "Purchased" filter. I got it work by making a playlist where "Rating is 0" and "Purchased is TRUE" instead of "Purchased is TRUE" and "Rating is 0." Also, you have to use the "limit by" option, otherwise the playlist will use a random sort order. Seriously, iTunes Match is the most ridiculous thing I've ever dealt with. I can't imagine anyone using this for more than a year at a time (if they even last that long).

\/\/"Rating is 0" works for unrated, but I wanted to prioritize rating my purchased songs. I've had to clear my library a few times, and wanted to work with a somewhat manageable subset to start.

EDIT: And with all that... the "last played" playlist on my desktop STILL isn't reflecting the songs that I've played over the last two days on my iPhone. gently caress iTunes Match.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 26, 2013

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

IUG posted:

So hey, when did this feature get added?

I know a lot of people have been asking for this. I haven't tried it with a playlist that doesn't include a full album yet, but will soon.

EDIT: Boo, it will only play the parts of the album that are in that playlist. Track 3 started playing from an album in that 3000 playlist of mine, skipping over tracks 1 & 2 from that album that weren't in that playlist's criteria.

I don't understand how you thought it would work. It shuffles the songs in the playlist by album - why should it play songs that aren't in the playlist?

Also, shuffle by album's always been available, hasn't it?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Took 3WL6WLY94H6M. Thanks.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Rabid Koala posted:

Well, TuneUp 3 is a bloated piece of crap. What are people using to organize their music collections on OSX these days?

Yeah. I'm kinda irritated that I bought a lifetime subscription. It's close to useless.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Everyone who has never had a problem with itunes and have iTunes Match:

1) make a smart playlist of recently added songs (say, the last two weeks).

2) open the playlist on your iphone

Congratulations, you've got a problem.

For extra points, make a playlist that refers to that last playlist (e.g., Recently added playlist, and not played in the last 3 days).

I don't feel these are extreme use cases, especially since Apple always promoted the smart playlist model.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

tankadillo posted:

Is it just me, or does iTunes Match really suck at syncing playlists or metadata? I'll buy music on one computer, but they aren't added to the "purchased" playlist on my other computer. Last played dates and play counts almost never sync across devices, which really fucks over my smart playlists.

I've turned Match off on my iphone. It doesn't't reliably track play counts or dates added, which makes my smart playlists useless. Plus, if your playlist refers to another playlist, it won't sync at all. I believe that it was all a backdoor way to get a paying base in place before launching iTunes Radio - it doesn't look as though they have any intention of improving the service.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The tags are in some way tied to the music store (not the actual files, though). My track genres will change arbitrarily, but only if I sync with my iPhone instead of my classic. You can change the setting to get rid of it - I think someone gave the exact instructions a page or two back in reference to the genre issue. This may not be the cause, but it sounds like something you're generally concerned about.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Whirlwind Jones posted:

They did however add a "recently added" section to the top of the list, which actually seems useful and productive rather than sperging out about my list of albums not being in perfect chronological order.

Wait... wanting your albums in release order is "sperging" now?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Stare-Out posted:

The iTunes Match page is pretty much the only thing that looks exactly as it did before in v.12. I'm getting the strangest feeling that they're not really focusing on Match too much.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Match was something that they lost interest in as soon as it came out. There was nowhere for it to evolve in terms of features, and they've made any attempt to resolve or speak to the many bugs. Maybe it was just a trial balloon to see if itunes users would be comfortable streaming.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Nihiliste posted:

You'd better believe I use genre tags. Nothing worse than wanting some quiet, relaxing music then having it interrupted my Merzbow.

That's more "style/groupings," although that can be a black hole if you try to rely on it for sorting.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
My one iTunes Match warning is that it may (will) sometimes arbitrarily change explicit tracks to clean.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It sounds like iTunes servers (along with other Apple internet services) are currently down. When I try to open iTunes, the program freezes when it tries to access the iTunes store, which means that I can't play my local songs until the online situation is resolved. What a ridiculous program.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Still froze (album covers wouldn't load, etc.). I reinstalled/repaired iTunes and restarted my computer, which seemed to help, but I ended last night on iTunes so I can't imagine what else could've happened overnight.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Well, it looks like the full adoption of iTunes Match has finally hosed "recently added" playlists forever. Thanks, Apple!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

xarph posted:

itunes match is nowhere to be found, it's now icloud music library!

I wonder if they're going to charge us for the storage once all the $25/year subs are ready to turn over?

You're able to use either, depending on whether you're interested in the streaming service or not. They're not discontinuing Match per se. The problem is that iTunes Match couldn't support playlists that referred to other playlists or playlists that were filtered by "date added." With the Cloud system in place for Apple Music, I'm seeing the same limitations with my local libraries (the affected playlists show as empty).

There were complaints about it when iTunes Match launched. They didn't care about it then, and it seems they've double-downed on it now.

EDIT: loving lol! So it looks as though it didn't empty my "recently added" playlist - it deleted all the ratings of my recently added songs so they fell out of the playlist. You're doing a heckuva job, Apple.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 1, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
In case it helps anybody, it looks as though Apple Music erased the ratings for all of the Purchase songs that were on my phone when I uploaded iOS. That's why it affected my "Recently Added" playlist in its entirety (I started using iTunes exclusively about a month ago). It doesn't appear that non-Purchased songs were affected, but that's a nice little landmine that may be waiting for me.

EDIT: The 64-bit iTunes update is out.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 1, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

89 posted:

So, with this whole new Apple Music thing, why would a subscriber ever purchase a song from iTunes now?

If it lets me rate with five stars, if it recognizes the "date" songs are added to my library for playlist purposes, and if there's an elegant solution for last.fm - I may not. Having said that, when I heard a song I liked on Beats 1, I went to the music store and not Apple Music. I'm fine paying $10 if it guarantees I don't buy a bad song/album, but I will probably buy songs until they mothball the store in a few years.

Edit: You have to have to add your personal library to the cloud before you can add songs from Apple Music to your library (at least on the desktop). That's a nope for me.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Gunder posted:

Can someone please explain the difference between iTunes Match and the new iCloud Music Library that you get through Apple Music?

It's mostly a question of whether you only want a portable version of your library (Match) or full access to an on-demand streaming library. Unlike Match, though all songs downloaded from Cloud Library are protected by DRM - even songs that have been matched from your library.