Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Anyone know where I can buy UK iTunes gift card codes the cheapest? I picked up a £25 one for £33 a while back and I'd rather find a place where they don't charge that much extra. E-mail delivery is a must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Ridonkulous posted:

Why can you not get them at a 1=1 price?

Because I don't live in the UK (or any official iTunes country) and unless I have missed something you can't buy UK iTunes stuff unless you have a proper UK address and credit card.

All places I have found that sell the codes charge extra and while I'm kinda OK with that I'd rather not pay THAT much. Seriously, that's like a third extra.

Edit: I found that G2play.net has an iTunes section and they sell £25 cards for £28, so I guess that's about as good as it gets.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 13, 2011

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I don't think this is the best place to ask this, but has somebody figured out how to make iPod scrobbling work better? Most of the times it doesn't detect any scrobbles and when it does they usually don't get uploaded. I've cleared associations numerous times, but it rarely helps.

Also songs that I have listened to more than once get numerous scrobbles, but with the same date/time. Apparently it is intended behaviour but that's really dumb.

Should I use an external program instead? I'm on Windows 7 with the latest iTunes and last.fm client and a 5th gen iPod Nano.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

There was a song added to an album after I bought it and it doesn't show up in my Purchased list. Do I have to buy it separately?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

You should probably contact iTune Support about that.

That was a proper good idea and they gave me a song credit to use. It would be nice if something changes in an album it would get added automatically, but I can't complain.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Match is US only, right?

Also anyone else had this happen? Minimizing fixes it but it gets messed up again randomly.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

OK, so a while ago I had trouble getting my Nano to scrobble and I think I've figured out why - it seems like the iPods internal playcounts don't update so iTunes doesn't realise that the songs have played and I'm guessing Last.fm uses the difference to determine what to scrobble. And because nothing changes it can't do anything.

So I tried resetting the iPod to default and reinstalling all the software which (I think) actually helped once but afterwards it became stuck again and I reeeaally don't want to do that every time. Anything else I can do?

5th gen Nano, Win 7, latest iTunes, latest Last.fm.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

chimz posted:

Are you using iTunes in the Cloud?

You mean Match? No, we don't get that over here, we got official iTunes Store support like a month ago :negative:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

No, actually my iTunes directory is in C:\Users\MYNAME\Music\iTunes. That's where all the xml crap and Apps and playlists are stored at. And this is my problem I think. I am on a PC btw if that helps.

I don't know if this is the best/correct way to do it, but when I moved my music folder I just moved the files and when I tried to play a song it showed my songs with an exclamation mark and popped up that 'song not found' dialog and asked if I wanted to locate it. Chose 'Yes', pointed it to the file in it's new location and after a bit of churning iTunes had automatically located ALL my songs.

Was actually surprised it worked out that well, because the moving was a bit... unscheduled.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

I have way too much music, plus it is nested in folders and subfolders based on genre, artist name, etc. Is there some file I can do a Find and Replace to change just the root folder path from the original to the new location? I loving hate the way iTunes makes you jump through so many bullshit hoops to make your music collection compatible.

Yeah, I had my stuff in standard iTunes folder format (Artist\Abum) and it worked.

itsfv might help you. It can recheck your library - you add the new folder as a source under options and validate. It can take a bit of testing to see what settings you have to use, but it should work.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

Can you be a little more specific on how to do this? I'm trying hard not to screw things up and this program seems promising.

I don't actually know (sorry), I only used it to embed artwork and track number.

I also don't know how it would deal with your folder structure, like I said I used the usual iTunes one.

Have you tried using the 'Add to library' option and pointing it to your music folder? If you get duplicates then just sort by 'Date added' and delete the music added previously, keeping only the new ones.

E - Using itsfv - although I'm not on a Windows machine, so I don't know if everything is correct, I think this could work - go to options and somewhere you can select your music folders. Add your folder there (the iTunes folder should be somewhere there, too), it (I think) will say something about your music not being in the iTunes Media folder, tell it to gently caress off. Then on the first page press 'Validate' (actually this might be the place where it whines about the Media folder). You might want to uncheck some things you don't want it to do, like lyrics cause that takes a stupid long time for the whole library.

I hope you backed up your iTunes library file before, though.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 17, 2012

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

'Get track names' only works when you ripped the disc using iTunes.

If you have so many duplicates you should just select everything in iTunes and delete them and then add your stuff again. Tell it to 'Keep files' and it won't delete the files from your drive, just from the iTunes library.

Regarding WMP - doesn't it also use a big database where it writes the song info and art. If you've used WMP until now it makes sense for it to have all the info. If you go to some files properties does it show the info there?

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 30, 2012

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DarkJC posted:

All I can say is that I have Windows 7 and the latest iTunes and I've never seen it use up 1 GB memory. How often do you restart it? How long does it take after restart before using 1GB again? How big is your library? How much memory do you have? What is 1 GB of processing power anyway?

I've also found that opening the store doubles the memory usage (which makes sense because it starts some Webkit browser thing) but doesn't release it after after you've done your stuff because you can't (I think) close the store browser.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Més que un iTunes.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

After upgrading to ML I've noticed that when I move songs around in a playlist instead of only having to drag the song near the top part and it would start scrolling I need to jiggle it around to make the list move. Anyone else get that?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

IIRC iTunes has it's own cache for the art somewhere in some strange format, but if you embed the art it should override the one iTunes has downloaded.

So use mp3tag or some similar software.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

bowmore posted:

Oh cool, I didn't know that. Cheers!

There is also this script http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart that embeds the iTunes store album into the file itself.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Wario In Real Life posted:

When does the new iTunes come out?

I want it.

I need it.

:(

Late October.

Have they ever released betas of iTunes?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

Plenty of times.

Nice!

Then again it's only 2 weeks til the end of October so yeah, whatever.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Where's the new iTunes Tim?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Burt posted:

So when I plug my iPod in my PC to charge it, iTunes opens. If I then try to close it, it just keeps re-opening. Is there anyway to stop this?

Do you have 'Open iTunes when this is connected' unchecked?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

They never said it's going to be late November. They said 'before the end of November' which means it will be out on Thursday.

THE 29TH!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

:siren: APPLECARE PEOPLE RECEIVING ITUNES 11 BUILDS NOW :siren:

RELEASE IT UNTO ME TIM

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

tonic posted:

It's out!

I'm dead.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

xarph posted:

Someone tell me it still has applescript support :ohdear:

I just used an old rear end Doug's Script with no problems.

But I can't figure out how to display albums alphabetically by year, starting from the newest.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

c0burn posted:

How do you do this?

In album view click on an album.

Why does it forget the place in playlist view when navigating away from it?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Was it someone in here who was complaining about albums being displayed in alphabetical order (instead of by release date) and triggering their OCD?

Go to View->View Options and you can change how albums are sorted.

I was spergin about this but when I select by year and by title the newest ones are at the bottom which doesn't make much sense to me. We used to be able to switch around but I guess that got lost somewhere. Maybe 11.0.1 adds some stuff back.

The only other gripes I have are that you can't resize the album view and that the dark background is gone but with the new fancy album view that is to be expected.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

It kept mine, but I believe ratings and play counts and the like are stored in the iTunes library file. Maybe try with an older library file?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I use them for syncing - 4 stars is a rotating playlist of "pretty good but we'll see after a couple of plays" and 5 stars is a permanent spot on my iPod.

Oh and 1 star is "probably delete this".

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I think grey titles denote whether the thing is checked or unchecked and that changes how they are played.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Have you tried the Automatically add to iTunes folder?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Do you mean the preferences option "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library"? If so, then yes, it's checked.

No. There is a folder at ...\Your iTunes folder\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes and when files are dropped in there they are added\moved to your library. It can be kinda finicky but should do the trick.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I have iTunes Match and I'm using iTunes 11 on OS X Lion.

So anyways I added some music and now it keeps looping, endlessly, through the steps for matching, as though it's going to do something. Like, it will get to uploading, start uploading, then fail and go back to the beginning. How do you fix this?

Log out and in again? Disable Match and re-enable?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

dox posted:

As far as I am aware, iTunes doesn't play flac so I don't see how this computes

It plays ALAC though, and FLAC to ALAC conversion is IIRC quick and non-destructive/free/whateveryoucallit.

And I think there are some plugins to play FLAC in iTunes but you can't sync them to your devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Ever since I updated to iTunes 12.1 and iOS 8.1.3 the last.fm desktop plugin (Scrobbler 2.1.36) isn't working when I sync my iPhone 6. PC runs Windows 7 if that matters.

I opened up the scrobbler diagnostics tab where it can be scrobbled manually, but I keep getting the message "ITUNES NOT RUNNING!" even thought it is.

The scrobbler is a crash-happy piece of poo poo that hasn't been updated in like 2 years. I haven't been able to scrobble my iPod or iPhone ever since Mavericks released. I don't think they care anymore.