Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So is there no way to sync an iPhone to a shared library? Is there any way to trick it into working or some sort of workaround for the situation?

My brother's got a MBA with the majority of his media stored on an AEBS drive and it's working great for him so far except he can't sync his iPhone with the library since it isn't the physical iTunes library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So apparently through the new version of iTunes in ML I can't select an AirPort speaker in addition to my main speakers from iTunes anymore.

Help. ;(

EDIT: I'm able to functionally circumvent the issue by using the Remote app on my phone (which still allows me to select both sources as speakers at the same time).

Still kinda weird/annoying though.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 19, 2012

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

TheState posted:

Once again, you're using pre-release software and hoping it works. It's the same thing with your Airport admin question in the OSX thread.
They are system apps though.

I'm not asking why Transmit doesn't work in ML. I'm asking why iTunes doesn't work. The version of iTunes that comes when you install ML. I doubt there will be an update between now and when ML is officially released in a couple weeks.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Manky posted:

Um I might have run into this issue in Lion, and if it's what I'm thinking of, it's just the stupidest bug. I have a really similar setup with regards to AirPlay stuff at my parents' house - there's Computer, an Apple TV, and then Living Room, and Outdoor Speakers. But if I pop up that window, it only shows the first two - just like yours, Computer and Apple TV. Give it a second, and grab the bottom of the window, and drag it down. In my case, the stupid loving thing was just not showing them or giving any indication that there was more hidden in the window.
lol that's the exact issue. Wow.

Thanks so much.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
drat that sucks.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

ndrake posted:

Is there an easy way (maybe a script?) to run through your library and differentiate album artwork that's coming from the itunes music store vs artwork that was applied externally and embedded in the files? I've always had good luck with allowing itunes to find the artwork for my music, and it's annoying when I come across an album that looks like crap on my ipad because it's still using a 128x128 icon I downloaded 10 years ago. I just don't know of a simple way to know if the artwork for a given file is from the ITMS or from some random geocities site from when I was in grade school.

?

Should work for "at a glance" offenders. No idea about the iTunes library database and how it stores album art information. I just automatically embed it in the file so I don't have to worry about that.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I'm on Windows 7. What I did is Google image search for the album cover, right-click and copy the one I like, then I go to iTunes, right-click the album, get info, and paste the image into the white box in the lower-right side.
Doing it this way should override the iTunes' weird database method, but if you're still having problems there should be a "Clear downloaded artwork" option on the right click menu (select the entire album) and then import your own artwork the same way you have been.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Is it sad that the new iTunes was my most anticipated part of the keynote today and I'm heartily depressed that it won't be out for another month?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
When does the new iTunes come out?

I want it.

I need it.

:(

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm thinking/hoping they'll release it the day of the iPad Mini event.
That seems to be the general consensus around. Seems like the Mini is going to be an "Available Today" device, so the new iTunes on that day would make sense as well.

So that's what? A little over a week now?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So hey guys new iTunes comes out tomorrow. :ohdear:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I'm spending the entire evening meticulously cataloging my entire library to ensure that it has proper tags and album art in anticipation.

How I ever lost my virginity is beyond me.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

TraderStav posted:

I haven't kept up, what is new in this version that have you guys all worked up? This a revolutionary change?
Relevant information may or may not be posted on this very page.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
:negative:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Apple lied, people died.

(Where's my new iTunes???)

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
You can set an "automatically add these files" folder to your iTunes, and then just put whatever you want to add in that folder.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
NOOOOooooOOOOOoOOOOOoooo!!!!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

TACD posted:

So this is fun. I had an iTunes Match subscription that I allowed to expire, but I can still use it (on my Mac and on my phone) as if I had renewed it. Anybody else experiencing this useful bug?
Maybe access works on a monthly basis?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I'm entirely expecting it to quietly get bumped back to 2013 at this point.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
WHERE IS IT?????????????????

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Someone post the link. I need it.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
It's still saying 10.7 is up to date. :ohdear:

EDIT: Nevermind if you use the app store it shows the update.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Suqit posted:

Like this you mean?

Yeah I like this view a lot.

It's a shame that the "album" view with the shaded background and font colors isn't available in the list format (apparently it's only available when viewing the coverart grid).

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
This is gorgeous.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

The pHo posted:

Was it always the case that if you hit play with nothing in the Up Next list, it'd just autopopulate it with random songs? Quite neat when things go silent but I can't be bothered to specifically choose something.
This is a standard shuffle feature, no?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Probably either the remote or music app. They both use the same interface.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The search dropdown thing is laggy?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Probably a Windows thing. 240 here and it's snappy as can be. No SSD or anything either.

That said I still kind of like the old implementation simply because I used it as a lazy way to create quick playlists.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Papercut posted:

iTunes 11 here. I want to select an artist, then choose one of their albums and have iTunes play the whole album in order. When I do what would seem to be the obvious thing (select the artist, then hit the play button next to the album name), it seems to play a shuffle of the album or random songs from the album/artist. What is the easiest way to get this seemingly very straightforward functionality?
No idea but using the ARTISTS sorting and clicking on an artist and then clicking the play button when you hover over an album title plays the album in order for me (when shuffle is off obviously).

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Lost in all the commotion of the update, I just now realized that I absolutely love the "Up Next" feature. Usually I just shuffle my entire library or a particularly large playlist, but every once in a while I'll get the urge to hear a certain song. Usually I'd have to search for the song and then abruptly stop whatever I was currently listening to to hear it (all while taking me out of my current playlist), but now I can just click "Play Next" and go back to whatever I was doing. The song I wanted to hear will come on next and then afterwards it will immediately return to the regularly scheduled lineup.

Kind of a little detail that ultimately doesn't really mean much, but drat if it doesn't feel convenient as hell.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Did we ever find a way to make focus follow playback on anything other than song/playlist view?

I can understand how it'd be difficult with the way album view is handled, but it would be really nice if it followed along in Artists view, since I usually just put it on "All Artists" and shuffle from there.

Not really a big deal, but would be nice and help it feel more like the old functionality.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

chomper posted:

I want it to stay where I put it because it's perfectly sized to fit right under my browser — next to the dock and out of the way.
Yeah you're probably too far down. Even if the dock doesn't extend all the way to the edge of your screen, that area down there is still designated for the dock and will kick anything out if it's placed down there.

Here's my current setup that's probably pretty similar but I'm running Bowtie in the dock area and then the album art window right above it out of the dock area.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
We'll probably be able to give you some advice as soon as you're able to better define "did... something".

Hope that helps.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Juche Couture posted:

Is there really no way in iTunes 11 to have an album art column in a playlist? I'm glad I installed this on my old POS laptop first.
No, but by clicking on the album art in the playing pane it'll open up a movable, resizable album art window that might work for you.

I actually enjoy this setup better since I like having the album artwork always visible and iTunes isn't always in focus. I've used this method since iTunes 10. Check the screenshot I posted a couple posts up as an example.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Ahh I see what you're saying. The old implementation would show album art for the currently selected track.

I actually used it to track down random single tracks that didn't have album art by rapidly scrolling down my entire library and watching the album art window for white blips.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Juche Couture posted:

Yeah, I dislike that. I have a lot of playlists of things that are related - e.g. things by the same composer played by different performers, or an artist's discography including side projects by different names - and being able to scan through them quickly by the covers is useful. That's how I use iTunes 90+% of the time, so I'm really disinclined to upgrade.

Edit: like this (this is my regular library, but same principle)

You know you can change the view of a playlist to "Artist List" view and then select all artists to give it that appearance, right?

I thought you were talking about the little album art window at the bottom right corner of the sidebar.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Are you letting iTunes manage your library?

The first thing I thought of was that those particular tracks are on an external drive or something.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
You're right, generally software updates make things worse. Good call.

That's why I'm still on Jaguar.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

IUG posted:

Click the iPod icon, go to music, and check that playlist instead.
That doesn't work if you manually manage the music on your device. Once you click the sync button it makes you delete all the music currently on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Sounds like something is wrong with your files. What it could possibly be I have no idea, but that's obviously not standard behavior.

What program did you use to "laboriously embed" all the album art? Sounds like it was embedding it in an unorthodox fashion and not writing proper ID3 tags which iTunes is attempting to correct.