Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
So in an attempt to make my media keys useful on my keyboard, I've been using AutoHotKey as well as keyboard shortcuts for iTunes. It works (for the most part, sometimes the play key doesn't work, but I can live with that). However, I have one last media key "Stop" and I can't seem to figure out if there's indeed a stop key in iTunes outside of being in a playlist while playing from the library. Yet, iTunesKeys (or whatever it was called had it) so it's got to exist. Anyone happen to know it?

e: also, the script I'm using doesn't seem to work when iTunes itself is in focus for some reason. I'm confused as to why.
code:
#IfWinExist ahk_class iTunes
{
	#^!d::
	   ControlSend, ahk_parent, {space}, iTunes ahk_class iTunes 
	return
}
{
	#^!p::
	   ControlSend, ahk_parent, ^{left}, iTunes ahk_class iTunes
	return
}
{
	#^!n::
	   ControlSend, ahk_parent, ^{right}, iTunes ahk_class iTunes
	return
}

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

doctorfrog posted:

I use HKTunes, which is built upon AHK: http://code.google.com/p/hktunes/
Works fine for me, and you can probably take a peek at the source code if you'd rather keep all your AHK stuff together. To its credit, HKTunes disappears if you close iTunes.
It doesn't have the stop button (which is the main thing I want honestly) so all this really gives me is the GUI (and I guess volume control, but I hooked my media volume buttons up to the global volume) so it seems sort of redundant.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Is there an alternative to iConcertCal? It hasn't worked since 10.4 got released and well, I have no idea when it'll be updated to a working state and I rather hope I'm not missing any new CDs.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Ugh, why would iTunes 11 completely remove grid view for artists. It was one of my favorite features and a reason I really liked using it over something like foobar. Now the artists are just listed in a list. Ugh.

Alternatively, the "Up Next" feature looks really neat and useful. Whoever described updates to iTunes though as legislation is correct though.

edit: Hitting the start genius button didn't do anything. Had to manually make a genius playlist. And then going from playlist tab to artist tab resets artist tab and doesn't keep my place. These things are kind of annoying.

edit 2: Oh, the new way they handle genius is that you hit "Start Genius" and the songs get put into the "Up Next" menu. That'...cool I guess. I'm not sure how I feel about this. However, the separated nature of all parts of iTunes isn't all that great with it not really "saving" where you are on one screen to the next. And the fact that you can't have the views be the same across the board if you wanted (it's Apple's way or the no way).

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 30, 2012

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Is there some way to make play count a column again in Album/Artist Views? I really liked knowing how much I had listened to songs when looking at it and then they seem to have removed any ability to add new columns or customize the view at all. :(

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
How can I reset the album art on my iPod? It seems that when upgrading to iTunes 11, the artwork got broken (it was initially blank, I check an option to just iTunes sync everything) and artwork for other artists gets displayed (like Flaming Lips for Florence + The Machine). It's not universal across the board it seems, but enough that it's annoying.

Note: Restoring my iPod is basically my last resort and one that I barely would even care to consider.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Leovinus posted:

Removing it all, you mean? Does right-clicking not have an option for removing artwork?

Hmm. The problem is that there are two different ways iTunes displays artwork - embedded and non-embedded. You need to get rid of both, but iTunes alone won't do it. What you could do is install MediaMonkey and open your library in it. Then, select all your MP3 files, right-click and open the properties menu, select the Artwork option and delete all the artwork that you see there, tick "apply to all files" and it'll strip all artwork out of your MP3s. Then you just clear all your downloaded artwork in iTunes (the stuff that's stored in separate files, not embedded in the MP3s themselves).

The correct option, obviously, is to spend hours in MediaMonkey giving all your albums proper embedded artwork, but if you're happy with the blank art then this should do it.
I don't want to remove it from iTunes. It's actually pretty perfect in there with maybe one or two albums that have been messed up that I might not have noticed. It's just on my iPod where things are messed up and it doesn't make much sense. And then it's not universally wrong on my iPod which confuses me even further.

I tried deleting the Artwork folder on the iPod and that just got rid of all artwork, but didn't cause the correct ones to show up after syncing.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Leovinus posted:

Best thing you can do in that case is to just embed all the artwork you want in the MP3s themselves using MediaMonkey or another tool, then. iTunes won't do it, but it'll read it just fine.

Looked online and read that apparently it was a case of the media library getting corrupted and the only solution was just reformatting and going again. Figured why not, I wasn't going to use mine for a week anyway, and I'd just let it run overnight and stuff.

Anyway, restored it, and now it'll sync somewhere between 1-200 songs before hanging on a song. The song can play fine, but the iPod won't sync fully. However, if I select just the artist and sync just the artist (not everything at once), it works fine and all songs are added to the iPod. This issue is really confounding me as it can't be a hard drive issue with the iPod if syncing an artist at a time works just fine.

Note: I am downconvertting all music to 128kbps for my iPod.

e: I fully reformated the drive through Windows, then restored it through iTunes, and then let it sync for 5 hours. It's on the second song still.

e2: So the solution was either sync <600 songs at a time, or just use iTunes 10.7 which worked perfectly. Way to go Apple.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 16, 2013

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Running iTunes 10.7, and whenever I sync my iPod, it seems like iTunes deletes 100 songs or something from my library each time. It's really weird and I have no idea what's going on. :psyduck:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
What has iTunes done with genius and why can I no longer play a genius playlist based on currently highlighted/playing song? :(

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Does anyone have information in the iTunes Library XML file is laid out? I'm building a parser for this and I'd like to confirm that albums and artists are always grouped together, but there's nothing out there about the file.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

GokieKS posted:

Why does that matter? Any decent parser for a language like XML should not care one bit which fields are next to each other, and just be using the key to determine what type of data each field is.
I'm using node to emit parsed xml data as I load it from the xml file for my application and it'd be nice to output artist information more readily than waiting till I've parsed the entire file (which does take some time on a huge library file).

The fallback is, as you pointed out, just waiting till I read in the entire file to have this information which is what I currently do.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Yes, but I can't say "You've got artist (Yuki Kajiura) with albums x, y, z" without reading in all albums by an artist. My question being at what point do I know that I've hit all albums for a particular artist and my hope being that the answer wasn't "once you hit the end of the file".