Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, I'm in a bit of a weird spot. I'm running iTunes 10 on OS X 10.8. All media is managed by iTunes, it's happy, everything's cool. What I want to do, however, is move the media library back off the external hard disk where it's lived for a number of years and onto a local hard disk. I'm just not sure the best way to do it; as far as I can remember, the way I got it out in the first place was to tell iTunes to move the library location and then organize my library so it was definitely all there. Do you think that would work in reverse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think you got the idea that I was personally going to do the copy; by organize my library I meant the option in iTunes, which would collate and move it over automatically. Or am I missing something? I don't intend to move any files that aren't in the library itself.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IUG posted:

Then you want to do exactly what you said. Pick the new location, consolidate the library.

Worked perfectly, thanks for the confirmation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

It's puzzling to me why anyone would have unused files sitting around in their iTunes library. If that's the case though, go ahead and consolidate instead of doing a normal file copy...

Actually, I think I did have a bunch of old files (to the tune of 150GB) stuck in the file structure of my library. That may or may not be related to what was going to be my original response to you, which is: Whether consolidating or copying, anything is better than my Windows>OS X migration, where the NTFS external hard disk threw up on itself and I ended up copying 40,000 songs manually over wireless using Home Sharing.

(Aside: you never know how much you miss your music from artists whose name starts with the letter D until it is all gone.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dissss posted:

Is it just me or has the last update made iTunes take an age to launch on Windows? I mean I know my PC is getting old but this is ridiculous.

Anything I can do to improve the situation? I already have Genius unticked which helped a bit.

If you have iTunes on external storage, moving it to a built-in hard disk or faster external hd would help a lot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I sincerely hope I can turn off that album art view. I've been using the traditional library list for so long, I don't know what I'd do without it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Betjeman posted:

That was me, after several failed attempts at workarounds, the one I settled on was to add blocks of the smart playlist to "up next". Took a while to get it approaching the randomised order it used to appear in, but it's something.

You can tell Up Next to just fill itself from a specific playlist. It's still not all the functionality of DJ, with its go back and forth lists, or the tweaked ratings-sensitive shuffle, but it's something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What the gently caress, iTunes? First you sign out of iCloud randomly for "security" and then you yell at me repeatedly until I bother to dig my password out and fix your own mistake. All I want to do is play music.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

beefnoodle posted:

Can't help, but how did you get that view? I can't find how to get into column browser mode.

View > Column Browser.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

skull mask mcgee posted:

It’s possible to love an album without loving every track tho

It’s possible to care for your family but not love every one of your children

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Update iTunes or get owned on Windows: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/attackers-exploit-an-itunes-zeroday-to-install-ransomware/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

maybe software companies should have a way of communicating that hey this update actually f'ing matters

I agree, I skipped over it initially (because why the gently caress does itunes still need me to restart my computer and then spend 10 minutes checking my library aglglglglglglgl), read the article and went gently caress

in possibly apocryphal news it maybe fixed the thing where itunes skips halfway through some songs for no rhyme or reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Why does the taskbar shortcut always break after an update? (windows 10)

because it's stupid and doesn't just do an upgrade in place, it just removes everything and then generates a desktop icon/start menu folder for the new stuff