Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I had ~300 songs in my iTunes library that were purchased from iTunes and DRM protected. Paying for iTunes Match upgraded these tracked from 128kbps to 256kbps and removed the DRM. This alone made subscribing to iTunes match a no-brainer for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but is there a way to have Genius OFF and iMatch ON at the same time in iTunes 11?

I never use genius mixes, and am annoyed when iTunes periodically updates genius data on my phone for a feature I never use, but I don't want to turn off iTunes Match.

Is there a solution?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
People,

As per this screen shot, I'm trying to compile a Top 100.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92027174/Screen%20Shot%202013-05-09%20at%2012.00.31%20PM.jpg

However, note that there are several songs listed with the same play count. (e.g. 34 & 32).

How do I list only one track per play count, i.e. play count is unique?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I have an issue which seems to be fairly common, and any solutions I've found so far on the 'net haven't worked.

Using Album view in iTunes, I find that tracks that show up correctly on my phone seem to be split over several albums of the same name in Album view.

E.G. 'From the Cradle' has 15 tracks and is displayed fine on the iPhone. In my iTunes library Album view it appears as 5 copies of 'From the Cradle' with the 15 tracks spread unevenly through the 5 albums.

It's obviously a metadata issue, as I've used TuneUp in the past. Is there a simple fix? I have tried the View Info and editing the Artist, Album Artist, and Album fields with no joy. I've done the same with the Sorting Tab under 'Get Info'.

Thoughts appreciated.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I posted a while back where I had issues with tracks being split over several copies of the same album when using album view in iTunes 11. It was obviously a metadata issue, so I thought 'why don't I get iTunes to rebuild the library?'

I have all my media managed by iTunes, so I knew that I had all my data where it should be. In the end I deleted the iTunes library.xml, and manually exported the library to recreate the XML file. I then quit iTunes and deleted the iTunes.itl file

I relaunched iTunes, and imported the XML file, and everything was fine. The new *.itl file was rebuilt by iTunes and was half the size, so there must have just been a load of cruft in there,

Everything seems fine so far, and I'm pretty happy. :)

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Shaocaholica posted:

This is probably a common itunes match question but hypothetically, if I have 1000s of lovely quality songs and I buy match and re-download 256kbps AAC DRM-free(?) versions of all those songs and then cancel match(or let it expire), I get to keep all those 'better' versions after match has expired? Even if its right up there at the limit of the match (25,000 songs)?

Yes, Songs that you download in 256kbps are yours to keep, even if you no longer subscribe to iTunes Match. I upgraded and stripped the DRM from the majority of my library - this made my first year subscription a no-brainer. I'm maintaining a subscription for the offline backup and ad-free iRadio.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
This is something that shouldn't annoy me, but it does.

I have 2145 songs in my iTunes library which is an exact match with my songs in iTunes Match. This pleases me.

When I sync all my music in iTunes, I tick the box and it tells me it will sync 2145 songs. All good.

Except, only 2144 songs sync to my iPhone 6 Plus. I'm running iTunes 12.01, 10.10 release, and 8.1 beta.

Is there an easy way I can find out what song isn't synching?

edit: This happened under 8.0.2 as well. I don't think it's a 'beta' thing.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Minidust posted:

This used to drive me nuts. I finally realized that the extra "song" was actually a digital booklet thingy that came with a purchased iTunes album. This was on an iPod classic - not sure if the same thing would happen on an iPhone, but it wouldn't surprise me!

Thanks for the reply. :) I've had the problem you describe and the status bar down the bottom changes to 'xxxx items' when there are non-music files in your library, rather than 'xxxx songs'. I'm fairly sure that it's a song that isn't being synced. :(

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

binarysmurf posted:

Thanks for the reply. :) I've had the problem you describe and the status bar down the bottom changes to 'xxxx items' when there are non-music files in your library, rather than 'xxxx songs'. I'm fairly sure that it's a song that isn't being synced. :(

I found it! There was a file in my library '01 Wake up Call' as well as 'Wake up Call', both by Maroon 5, with the former not being synched. Some sort of iTunes Match discrepancy. I deleted '01 Wake up Call' from both my library and iCloud. Everything is copacetic.

loving iTunes. :)

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I had 2207 songs in my local library yesterday and 2207 songs in iTunes Match.

Yesterday I bought a song. Predictably I now have 2208 songs on my local HD... but 2209 songs in iTunes Match. :(

What's the best way to find the 'extra' song? This sort of thing has been happening a lot lately. I just want a 1:1 correspondence with iCloud and my local library.

Running iTunes 12.1 under 10.10.2

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Yeah, so I bought a song on my iPhone yesterday and there were two copies copied across. One marked as in iCloud, the other a normal file. I deleted the cloud version and now my iCloud library and HD library are the same.

I'm pleased, but it's just weird.

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 19, 2015

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

spog posted:

I currently have my Itunes library on my Win7 PC, organised by iTunes.

I want to move it to my NAS. I know that if I change the location in iTunes, it will move it all across for me,

However, I already have a copy of the library on the NAS that I copied manually (with syncback).

If I were to tell iTunes to move the library to the location on the NAS where the duplicate library exists, will it be a quick copy (i.e. iTunes sees that the track already exists in the right location and skips the copy process)?

I wouldn't assume this. Why not simply delete your manual copy and get iTunes to do the move?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Is there a setting I need to use to get iTunes 12.2 to sync non-Smart playlists to my iPhone.

The Smart playlists synch over fine. The 'Normal' playlists don't.

*sigh*

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 5, 2015

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Kenderama posted:

I apologize if this comes off as a stupid question, but are you sure you didn't scroll down on your iPhone? The "Normal" playlists show up listed after the smart ones, they aren't mixed in alphabetically.

This was actually a great question, but not the solution. Apparently I have to re-create the manual playlists in 12.2 to have them sync when Apple Music is turned on. I'll get on to that..whenever. :)

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

The rear end Stooge posted:

I definitely get the impression that the three-month trial is basically a way to have an open beta without calling it that.

Concur.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I've just cleaned out all of my Apple Music files from my iTunes library. According to iTunes I have 2336 songs in my library. All of them are off-line, and all of the files are in *.m4a format.

However when I go to my iTunes music directory and ask for a count of files there-in :

code:
cd /Volumes/Storage\ and\ Media/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music
find . -iname "*.m4a" -print | wc -l
I get a count of 2338. Is there any way I can find out where the 'extra' 2 files that are counted in the file system but not in my library are?

"You need to get out more" is a totally valid response, but doesn't answer my question. :)

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I understand that iTunes stores album artwork separately from the m4a file. In the event I shift my music to an Android device I assume that my album artwork won't migrate?

Is there a way to embed artwork into the m4a file so I can migrate out of the Apple ecosystem and still have artwork? There's software called CoverScout that claims to do this, but it's $US30.

Input appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Snuffman posted:

I miss the the colorful backgrounds generated from album art in album view. :sigh:

Totally agree.

"Let's just arbitrarily take away features that users like!", laughed Tim, "Because we're Apple!".

< executive team fistbump each other >