Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Wow, I never realized that scripting for iTunes was so simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Argh..hh...heh. posted:

Two things:

- What is the best way to implement global hotkeys? I hate having to navigate back to the itunes window just to pause. It looks like there's a few programs out there, but most of them look pretty clumsily designed

- How simple is it to reskin itunes? I'm not huge on the default look

Are you on mac or windows? Bowtie (mac) is a pretty solid iTunes remote that handles global hotkeys, and you can extensively customize its appearance with themes. As for changing iTunes appearance, that's very difficult and limited. You can look over at macthemes for discussion on how and some alternate looks, but expect a massive headache and iTunes breaking if you want to try it yourself.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

smackfu posted:

Favorite tip for iTunes:

If you're in a playlist, you can hit alt-backspace to delete a file from the library, rather than from the playlist. (Keys may vary between Mac and Win.) Even works in smart playlists. As far as I can tell, this is just magic and there are no matching menu commands.

it's option + delete on a mac.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

DarkSun6890 posted:

That's not the part I'm really worried about. What do I do after I reformat and reinstall itunes? Drag the music files in, then the library xml files? That should add my playcounts and playlists?

start by consolidating the library and copying to your new drive, as suggested. then, make a copy of all the .xml and library files (if you're in windows, the library is an .itl file IIRC... it'll be a fair amount larger than the .xml, but you need both). now, go about your formatting and itunes reinstalling. when you've reinstalled itunes, but before you copy any tracks or your old library files, start up itunes and go into preferences. set the music folder to the folder on your new drive. don't import any files or anything - just leave the library empty, but make sure that itunes will be using your new music folder in the future. now, exit itunes, and replace the new, blank library files it has created with your old ones that have all your playcounts/etc. then move all your music folders into the folder you selected as the new music folder when you first ran itunes in the new installation. start up itunes, and you should have it all the way it was before.